PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Nosomatic Chiurgeon+MoD&N=?

ATHATH
2017-02-26, 07:20 PM
One of the first-level abilities of the Nosomatic Chiurgeon PrC is this:
"Pestilential Touch (Su): A chirurgeon develops the supernatural ability to channel spell energy into debilitating harm. This ability allows you to spontaneously "lose" a single usage of any spell or spell-like ability to cast any inflict spell of the same spell level or lower. (An inflict spell is any spell with "inflict" in its name, such as inflict light wounds).
Unlike with a normal casting of an inflict spell, the damage dealt by this ability is not negative energy, and so cannot be used to heal undead."

The Mastery of Day and Night feat has a description of:
"You can spontaneously apply the effect of the Maximize Spell metamagic feat to any cure or inflict spell you cast. Doing this has no effect on the spell's level or casting time."

How, if at all, do they interact with each other?

Also, as a side note: do any of you know of any other ways to boost the Nosomatic Chiurgeon's inflict spells? I want to make a Warlock build based around them soon.

This is in 3.5, by the way.

ATHATH
2017-02-26, 09:48 PM
Would Black Lore of Moil work with it as well?

Any necromancy spell you cast can be cast instead as a Moilian spell, dealing an extra 1d6 points of negative energy damage +1d6 per two spell levels (+1d6 for 1st-level spells, +2d6 for 2nd- or 3rd-level spells, and so on). If the spell normally allows a saving throw, the target takes half the negative energy damage on a successful save, regardless of the outcome of the save on the spell's normal effect. In addition to its normal spell components, a Moilian spell requires the creation and expenditure of a Moilian runebone-- a small human bone (often a fi nger bone) scribed with carefully prepared arcane markings. Only a character trained in the Black Lore of Moil knows the secrets of creating a runebone, which takes 1 hour to craft and requires special inks and powders costing 25 gp per die of negative energy damage to be generated. For example, a runebone capable of adding 3d6 points of negative energy damage to a spell costs 75 gp to craft. While the maximum negative energy damage dealt by a Moilian spell is based on the spell's level, the actual damage is limited by the runebone. For example, if a sorcerer casts fi nger of death (a 7th-level spell, so normally +4d6) with a 75-gp (3d6) runebone, the spell deals only 3d6 points of additional negative energy damage. A Moilian spell uses a spell slot of the spell's normal level.

I suspect not, but it's worth a shot, right?

ATHATH
2017-02-26, 09:55 PM
Ooh, Fearsome Necromancy will probably work:
"Any foe required to save against a necromancy spell you cast is shaken for 1 round, regardless of the result of the save. This mind-affecting fear ability does not stack with any other fear effect (it can't make a foe worse than shaken)."

Dagroth
2017-02-26, 10:04 PM
All the feats you list would work fine (and all work for a Dread Necromancer, btw). Just remember that, by rules, spell focus items (like those needed for Moilian spells) are consumed by the casting of the spell.

Also, a Moilian spell is no longer a Necromancy spell (the wording is "cast instead as a Moilian spell") so Fearsome Necromancy wouldn't apply.

WhamBamSam
2017-02-26, 11:17 PM
I don't think Black Lore of Moil works as it uses the usual metamagic verbiage about spell slots, which might create issues when you're casting via Pestilential Touch and hence not really using a spell slot. If it does, then any other mechanism for free metamagic would as well.

Mastery of Day and Night and Fearsome Necromancy certainly work, since Pestilential Touch is explicitly casting an inflict spell.

Holy Potency has some things you can do with inflict spells, but it'd require a Cleric dip to qualify for on a Warlock, and may not be the greatest for your build.

Venger
2017-02-27, 12:16 AM
as mentioned, mastery of day and night works with pestilential touch normally.

I don't think moilian spells lose their school descriptors and become untyped. it's just a moilian, necromancy spell.

if you're doing mastery of day and night, you might think about spontaneous cures too. death delver is one option. I dabbled with it a few iron chefs ago (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=13632984&postcount=129)

Dagroth
2017-02-27, 02:04 AM
as mentioned, mastery of day and night works with pestilential touch normally.

I don't think moilian spells lose their school descriptors and become untyped. it's just a moilian, necromancy spell.

if you're doing mastery of day and night, you might think about spontaneous cures too. death delver is one option. I dabbled with it a few iron chefs ago (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=13632984&postcount=129)

The RAW text is pretty clear: "Any necromancy spell you cast can be cast instead as a Moilian spell."

I probably wouldn't enforce it, personally... considering the very high cost in material components. But there are many people here and elsewhere who are sticklers for the RAW.

Venger
2017-02-27, 03:36 AM
The RAW text is pretty clear: "Any necromancy spell you cast can be cast instead as a Moilian spell."

I probably wouldn't enforce it, personally... considering the very high cost in material components. But there are many people here and elsewhere who are sticklers for the RAW.

stripping a spell of its school descriptor isn't a real mechanic that exists.

there is similar language in the born of three thunders feat. you wouldn't argue that makes it lose its school descriptor, would you?

if we're talking about other aspects of the moil feat, I'll also point out it requires sf (necro). while design is incompetent sometimes, having that as a prereq feat and then rendering it incapable of actually applying to your moilian spells is a bit much

ATHATH
2017-02-27, 06:56 PM
Are the inflict spells produced by Nosomatic Chiurgeon Arcane, Divine, or neither? Are they the same magic type as the spells or SLA's that are converted into them?

Are Warlock invocations Arcane?

Venger
2017-02-27, 07:01 PM
Are the inflict spells produced by Nosomatic Chiurgeon Arcane, Divine, or neither? Are they the same magic type as the spells or SLA's that are converted into them?

Are Warlock invocations Arcane?

As supernatural abilities, they are neither arcane nor divine.

Warlock invocations are arcane spell-like abilities

ATHATH
2017-02-27, 08:58 PM
As supernatural abilities, they are neither arcane nor divine.

Warlock invocations are arcane spell-like abilities
Wait, they're considered Supernatural Abilities instead of spells? Aw, I was going to use that feature to qualify for some prestige classes.

WhamBamSam
2017-02-27, 09:40 PM
Wait, they're considered Supernatural Abilities instead of spells? Aw, I was going to use that feature to qualify for some prestige classes.The feature says that it casts the spell, not that it duplicates its effect, so I think they are indeed spells. Venger's right about them not being arcane or divine, however, as there's no text stating them to be either.

Venger
2017-02-27, 09:48 PM
Wait, they're considered Supernatural Abilities instead of spells? Aw, I was going to use that feature to qualify for some prestige classes.

No.

Pestilential touch is a supernatural ability, meaning the source of your inflicts is neither arcane nor divine.

The feature says that it casts the spell, not that it duplicates its effect, so I think they are indeed spells. Venger's right about them not being arcane or divine, however, as there's no text stating them to be either.

As WhamBamSam says, it says explicitly that it casts the spell, so as discussed earlier, you can use it to qualify for things such as mastery of day and night.

Mr Adventurer
2017-02-28, 03:22 AM
Just remember that, by rules, spell focus items (like those needed for Moilian spells) are consumed by the casting of the spell.

No, focus items are not consumed by the casting of the spell.

Material components are, however.

Venger
2017-02-28, 03:57 AM
No, focus items are not consumed by the casting of the spell.

Material components are, however.

Right. The bones in a moilian spell are referred to as components, so are consumed normally. Additionally, it specifies they are expended in the casting of the spell.