PDA

View Full Version : What roll does the Garrotte's threat range apply to?

Max Caysey
2017-02-26, 07:51 PM
As it says in the tin...

The Garrotte, from Song and Silence, has a threat range. 18-20 (x2 i assume since nothing is specifically stated). Now is this threat range applied to your initial touch attack to place the garrotte or to the grapple checks (which is basically an attack with the weapon)?

I haven't been able to find the answer in the book and personally I don't recall grapple allowing for crits. However I can see it functioning in either instances. However I'm leaning towards it applying to the grapple checks done each round to do damage. Would it apply to the initial attack, then basically all of the following damage done would be doubled.

So which is it?

Crake
2017-02-26, 08:03 PM
As it says in the tin...

The Garrotte, from Song and Silence, has a threat range. 18-20 (x2 i assume since nothing is specifically stated). Now is this threat range applied to your initial touch attack to place the garrotte or to the grapple checks (which is basically an attack with the weapon)?

I haven't been able to find the answer in the book and personally I don't recall grapple allowing for crits. However I can see it functioning in either instances. However I'm leaning towards it applying to the grapple checks done each round to do damage. Would it apply to the initial attack, then basically all of the following damage done would be doubled.

So which is it?

I would imagine the critical hit is determined on the initial touch attack, since the placement of the cord is what would determine the critical damage in the successive rounds.

Kelb_Panthera
2017-02-26, 08:22 PM
I would imagine the critical hit is determined on the initial touch attack, since the placement of the cord is what would determine the critical damage in the successive rounds.

I agree with this. I'd also let the repeating damage roll be resolved as crits until the enemy gets himself free of the garrote. Being as situational and difficult to line-up as it is, it deserves the extra damage capability.

Max Caysey
2017-02-27, 05:51 PM
That was my thought as well!

Thanks