PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Radiant Blade

gooddragon1
2017-02-26, 08:49 PM
xxxxxxxxxxxx

aimlessPolymath
2017-02-26, 09:23 PM
Interesting class notes!

It looks like the base abilities are your staple class features, and then you can upgrade them by spending spell slots as you use them (making them somewhat like the cleric or druid's spontanous casting)?

Class chassis looks like a paladin-type- melee combat plus class abilities which upgrade attacks; spells as support effects, buffs and debuffs.

Favored Enemy is a bit of an odd ability here.

Daylight/Darkness is a bit of a false equivalence- one of them is generally useless in most situations, Darkness is a useful debuff which can be comboed with the right character(s).

On the radiant magics:
Lightbeam: Disrupting ranged attack; analogous to Aid Another crossed with Dazzle. Suggest -2 penalty to next attack roll, -3 if it's a ranged attack as a base effect. "Distracted" is somewhat undefined in the rules. Effects for spell slot expenditure should include total blindness for a few rounds with a 3rd level spell slot at least, since that's the level at which clerics get Blindness/Deafness. 1st level spell equivalent to work from is probably doom (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/d/doom/). 2nd level spell would be Blinding Ray (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/blinding-ray/), in some tweaked form. Abilities from here on have fewer equivalents, though.

Piercing Light: Unsure on exactly how you use it from the description. A quick glance over to the Spell Compendium tells me that making one full attack as touch attacks is a 2nd level effect (wraithstrike). Suggest it be gained at 3rd level or so, take a standard action to use, make the strike count as magic + good aligned for the purpose of overcoming DR as a base effect (plus, say, +1 to attack and damage?). Spell slots spent upgrade the effect (increase the bonus, overcome material-based stuff), make it last longer. Touch attacks are actually really good in melee due to prevalence of armor- maybe avoid.

%chance to make touch attacks is a bad idea- an extra roll involved for each attack.

Swords of Revealing Light: Yugioh reference? Effects seem somewhat out of place for the class- illusions/hide revealing is mostly useful when you see it coming, making it a situational ability. Area-effect damage seems like it would be kept separate.

Scouring Light: AoE attacks are nice. Targetted dispel magic can be a whole lot of rolls. Would suggest that the investment effect be swapped with that of Swords of Revealing Light + letting it be area dispel, making Swords the anti-magic technique, and this the AoE attack effect. Suggest "melee attack as ranged 1-square area effect" be the base effect.

Sphere of Light: Flight comes into play around level 5, fire shield around L7. Making them constant bumps them up somewhat- around level 9? The actual spells aren't that overpowering. Fire shield has element resistance built in, more is somewhat redundant (let them pick the energy of fire shield?). % dodge chances are rare in general- unless they're a theme of the class, leave them out. Saving throw bonus is good- nice reference to paladins. Naming for this is a bit odd- name sounds like an aura of light which applies penalties to enemies.

Cleansing Light: Looks mostly just like you can spontaneously cast remove disease, neutralize poison, lesser restoration from an outside perspective.

Smite: Looks good, but again, favored enemy looks out of place for this class.

neriractor
2017-02-27, 09:58 AM
Daylight/Darkness is a bit of a false equivalence- one of them is generally useless in most situations, Darkness is a useful debuff which can be comboed with the right character(s).

if you look at the wording, a radiant blade with light devotion can just have a torch follow them around (for free), while the radiant blade with darklight devotion must spend a use of smite to use is darkness, seems pretty equal to me (a bit weak but equal and it is a first level ability).

aimlessPolymath
2017-02-27, 11:00 AM
Light vs. Daylight: Oh, whoops.

The presence of Favored Enemy continues to be strange in this class -it's more often associated with "hunter"-type classes who gain power from knowing their foe (note to self- Favored Enemy powered by Knowledge ranks) than with paladin-types which possess magical power.

Light Beam: A good ranged attack as written. However, it's very strange that it doesn't work in melee- at minimum, the extra damage would be appreciated at low levels. Also odd that you get new powers every 8 levels, but they improve every 10- seems like you were aiming to make the final improvement a capstone, but "a little extra damage" isn't a great capstone.

Smite-to-light-beam is confusing. Do you get the "radiant magic" smite effect (a maximum of +7 damage at 20th level and a 4th level spell slot) or the "regular melee attack damage" smite (+Cha to the attack roll, +20 to damage), since it deals "melee damage"? I assume the former. If you use a greatsword (2d6) does the damage increase to 2d6+2 if you smite with Light Beam?

These abilities affect only the targets that the radiant blade chooses to affect Neat. Might go in it's own paragraph along with antimagic bypass, because I almost missed it.

gooddragon1
2017-02-27, 01:45 PM
Light vs. Daylight: Oh, whoops.

The presence of Favored Enemy continues to be strange in this class -it's more often associated with "hunter"-type classes who gain power from knowing their foe (note to self- Favored Enemy powered by Knowledge ranks) than with paladin-types which possess magical power.

Light Beam: A good ranged attack as written. However, it's very strange that it doesn't work in melee- at minimum, the extra damage would be appreciated at low levels. Also odd that you get new powers every 8 levels, but they improve every 10- seems like you were aiming to make the final improvement a capstone, but "a little extra damage" isn't a great capstone.

Smite-to-light-beam is confusing. Do you get the "radiant magic" smite effect (a maximum of +7 damage at 20th level and a 4th level spell slot) or the "regular melee attack damage" smite (+Cha to the attack roll, +20 to damage), since it deals "melee damage"? I assume the former. If you use a greatsword (2d6) does the damage increase to 2d6+2 if you smite with Light Beam?

Neat. Might go in it's own paragraph along with antimagic bypass, because I almost missed it.

I could call it something else, but it's basically specializing to allow some degree of making up for multiple ability dependence (STR, CON, WIS, CHA).

Good point on the light beam scaling. I'll have to think of a different capstone. Also, I'll see about making it work in melee.

It's the former on the smite boost, I'll have to make it more clear with the wording.

Another nice perk (not original I'll admit, pulled it slightly from the dragonfire adept class breath weapon+endure exposure combo) to make playing something with multiple ability dependence more appealing (otherwise you'd have to add dex and some feats to allow the ranged attack to not hit allies through the precise shot feat tree).

if you look at the wording, a radiant blade with light devotion can just have a torch follow them around (for free), while the radiant blade with darklight devotion must spend a use of smite to use is darkness, seems pretty equal to me (a bit weak but equal and it is a first level ability).

I could have made it separate x/day from smite, but darkness is a second level spell. It's kind of like how a paladin can detect evil at will (sort of-ish).

aimlessPolymath
2017-02-27, 02:21 PM
I could call it something else, but it's basically specializing to allow some degree of making up for multiple ability dependence (STR, CON, WIS, CHA).
It just fits the class so poorly. It barely fits on Rangers because they have some ability to choose their battles, and the bonuses are small enough generally that not having them doesn't matter a lot. There's some benefit if you know what kind of campaign you're in (undead, magical beasts, etc.) but the class functions fine(as a Ranger, anyway) without it. Here, it's practically required to make your Smite work.

You don't actually have much Wis dependence as-is, either.

On Light Beam: What about having a class feature, Overwhelming Radiance or somesuch, which adds damage to one attack per round? One attack per round deals +1-3d6 damage, say, starting around level 2. It's like a mini-smite on each turn!
It also emphasizes abilities which increase accuracy(like smite), or affect single attacks (like smite, as well as most abilities which replace attacks), buffering them a bit from the standard full-attacks-are-better ideology.

Then, ranged attacks as a separate ability in Light Beam.

gooddragon1
2017-02-27, 07:22 PM
It just fits the class so poorly. It barely fits on Rangers because they have some ability to choose their battles, and the bonuses are small enough generally that not having them doesn't matter a lot. There's some benefit if you know what kind of campaign you're in (undead, magical beasts, etc.) but the class functions fine(as a Ranger, anyway) without it. Here, it's practically required to make your Smite work.

Smite evil affects only evil creatures or it doesn't work at all. Here you still get to smite, but it's less effective. Instead of it being against evil only (since this class does allow evil characters), it can work against favored enemies. Also, favored enemy is more familiar than a brand new mechanic.

You don't actually have much Wis dependence as-is, either.

It determines bonus spell slots which affects how much extra you can put into radiant magic or extra spells you can cast during the day.

On Light Beam: What about having a class feature, Overwhelming Radiance or somesuch, which adds damage to one attack per round? One attack per round deals +1-3d6 damage, say, starting around level 2. It's like a mini-smite on each turn!
It also emphasizes abilities which increase accuracy(like smite), or affect single attacks (like smite, as well as most abilities which replace attacks), buffering them a bit from the standard full-attacks-are-better ideology.

Then, ranged attacks as a separate ability in Light Beam.

That extra power is somewhat where piercing light will come in. However, I've already made a few classes that depart from the full attacks are better deal. I'll make the rest of the abilities and we'll see how it looks after that.

NOTE: Made the damage type for sphere of light a separate choice as recommended.

EDIT:
Also, yes, swords of revealing light is absolutely a yugioh reference.

EDIT: I want to make cleansing light exciting, but I'm not sure how yet... It should heal and cure conditions (some conditions without the investment maybe, also thinking about standard action and immediate action use to grant temporary hit points without investment, more with investment but only as standard (immediate action only once every 1d3 rounds)).

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/fairytailfanon/images/a/a5/Vlcsnap15724148vo7.png/revision/latest?cb=20141226132314

http://brume.newgallo.dnsalias.net/pmwiki/uploads/Downloads/PCGen%20Bundles/2004/portraits/cmp/d20_fantasy_v35e/wotc/expsi/Deep%20Impact.jpg

http://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/s480x480/e15/11261959_1581465295469690_1399278474_n.jpg?ig_cach e_key=Mzk0NDA1NjAxOTc2MTkzMTQ5.2

https://images7.alphacoders.com/317/317485.png

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/A3VR9Mmr5T0/maxresdefault.jpg

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/elderscrolls/images/7/7a/Augur_of_dunlain.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20111215220521

aimlessPolymath
2017-02-28, 01:18 AM
It determines bonus spell slots which affects how much extra you can put into radiant magic or extra spells you can cast during the day.
D'oh. Still, if you're worried about MAD, why not drop the Wis dependence and make it run on Charisma?

Smite evil affects only evil creatures or it doesn't work at all. Here you still get to smite, but it's less effective. Instead of it being against evil only (since this class does allow evil characters), it can work against favored enemies. Also, favored enemy is more familiar than a brand new mechanic.

My basic worry is that because favored enemies come up so much less than evil enemies (barring a more wilderness-themed campaign rather than fighting the opposing ideology), the smite will work at half power more often than not. There are a whole lot of evil foes in the Monster Manual, and you can safely guess early on that you will fight at least some of them. On the other hand, campaigns can have extremely varied enemies- unless you have an enemy who uses a lot of the same kind of minion, there's no guarantee that you can guess what will come up.

I don't think you need a whole mechanic to deal with this- you can just tell them to pick an alignment to oppose. Alternatively, you could make Smite an entirely class-feature-enhancing mechanic (treat it as some number of spell levels for enhancing Radiant Magic, for example), and let Piercing Light cover the Smite design space (which it does quite well, actually).

Love the capstone though.
I didn't realize until I reread the abilities now that you could expend multiple spell slots at once to power an ability! Class looks like it has up to 30 spell levels base, going up to around 10-15 more depending on Wisdom investment. Ironically, a full-investment Piercing Light or Light Beam feels a whole lot like Smite, especially Piercing Light- it's more accurate (touch attack), deals a buttload more damage (statistically, more extra at maximum investment than a full-power Smite (+1/level vs 1d6/4 levels = 0.875 + 1d6/2 levels = 1.625 = 2.5ish total per level), bypasses DR, and leaves a crippling wound (DR negated for a few rounds).

Swords of Revealing Light: Slowed is a super nasty debuff to have! Damage is slightly less than Piercing Light or Lightbeam on average due to weapon bonus, but can consistently hit multiple enemies at once and not hit your allies.Damn strong alpha strike- a choose-your-targets area effect is very useful. Could see a whole party of radiant blades taking it, bombarding their foes with a continuous hail of blades- note that while the damage is slightly low at high levels, it can be kept up round after round. Illusion removal is situational but handy. Limited radius is a decent restriction, but the class is going into melee anyway... Also, I really feel like this ability should drop a Daylight spell or Light spell in the area affected by the swords.

Scouring Light: Line effects are generally less useful than most- disappointed at having the same damage as Swords. Making only one dispel check for the whole thing means that it tends to be pretty all-or-nothing, instead of breaking half the effects on the target. 4-level effect is just ridiculous- close (94%) to automatic for level-appropriate effects.

Sphere of Light: Standout for how strongly it competes for "best"- at later levels, you can take this, and it practically turns into a class feature, given that it's something you dump half your level in spell slots into, pick spell resistance, and forget about. Other forms of radiant magic compete for your standard action mid-combat; this doesn't. As a result, it's basically definitely going into any set of picks somewhere. It also has the most versatile and useful set of benefits- you want flight somewhere, spell resistance which outscales caster level is great, and the saving throw bonuses are pretty great too.

There's an interesting set of four attack options here- two pairs of area/single target effects, two pairs of close/ranged effects. There are definitely pros and cons to picking each of these- we have a disrupting ranged attack, a spell-breaker beam, an area debuff/damage, and a powerful, accurate smite which leaves the target open for more attacks.

Of all of them, I'd say that Lightbeam is the least useful. While applying distraction is a powerful effect against mages, similar results could be achieved by simply readying an action to fire Scouring Light when they cast a spell- a much higher DC in most cases. Furthermore, I'd say that it has the least benefit from investment- a 20% miss chance is nasty, but if you're targetting a mage (as might be implied by the base effect), they just have area spells to toss out instead, and similar benefits to defense can be gained with Sphere of Light.

Note that if we extend the sets to be "melee attack/ranged attack/buff" and "single target/area", this could make cleansing light a team buff- perhaps an aura which enhances saving throws?

One way to make it more exciting is make it an active defense- you have X number of "saving throw points" or uses of Protection to give out each round, and each time you do, you reduce the damage taken from an attack(to make it consistently useful), or enhance a saving throw (say). As someone who plays Bodyguard/Combat Reflexes builds in Pathfinder, I can say that knowing that you just saved a teammate from an attack because you decided to use your Aid Another equivalent on them this round is an extremely satisfying feeling.

gooddragon1
2017-02-28, 09:42 PM
D'oh. Still, if you're worried about MAD, why not drop the Wis dependence and make it run on Charisma?

My basic worry is that because favored enemies come up so much less than evil enemies (barring a more wilderness-themed campaign rather than fighting the opposing ideology), the smite will work at half power more often than not. There are a whole lot of evil foes in the Monster Manual, and you can safely guess early on that you will fight at least some of them. On the other hand, campaigns can have extremely varied enemies- unless you have an enemy who uses a lot of the same kind of minion, there's no guarantee that you can guess what will come up.

I don't think you need a whole mechanic to deal with this- you can just tell them to pick an alignment to oppose. Alternatively, you could make Smite an entirely class-feature-enhancing mechanic (treat it as some number of spell levels for enhancing Radiant Magic, for example), and let Piercing Light cover the Smite design space (which it does quite well, actually).

Love the capstone though.
I didn't realize until I reread the abilities now that you could expend multiple spell slots at once to power an ability! Class looks like it has up to 30 spell levels base, going up to around 10-15 more depending on Wisdom investment. Ironically, a full-investment Piercing Light or Light Beam feels a whole lot like Smite, especially Piercing Light- it's more accurate (touch attack), deals a buttload more damage (statistically, more extra at maximum investment than a full-power Smite (+1/level vs 1d6/4 levels = 0.875 + 1d6/2 levels = 1.625 = 2.5ish total per level), bypasses DR, and leaves a crippling wound (DR negated for a few rounds).

Swords of Revealing Light: Slowed is a super nasty debuff to have! Damage is slightly less than Piercing Light or Lightbeam on average due to weapon bonus, but can consistently hit multiple enemies at once and not hit your allies.Damn strong alpha strike- a choose-your-targets area effect is very useful. Could see a whole party of radiant blades taking it, bombarding their foes with a continuous hail of blades- note that while the damage is slightly low at high levels, it can be kept up round after round. Illusion removal is situational but handy. Limited radius is a decent restriction, but the class is going into melee anyway... Also, I really feel like this ability should drop a Daylight spell or Light spell in the area affected by the swords.

Scouring Light: Line effects are generally less useful than most- disappointed at having the same damage as Swords. Making only one dispel check for the whole thing means that it tends to be pretty all-or-nothing, instead of breaking half the effects on the target. 4-level effect is just ridiculous- close (94%) to automatic for level-appropriate effects.

Sphere of Light: Standout for how strongly it competes for "best"- at later levels, you can take this, and it practically turns into a class feature, given that it's something you dump half your level in spell slots into, pick spell resistance, and forget about. Other forms of radiant magic compete for your standard action mid-combat; this doesn't. As a result, it's basically definitely going into any set of picks somewhere. It also has the most versatile and useful set of benefits- you want flight somewhere, spell resistance which outscales caster level is great, and the saving throw bonuses are pretty great too.

There's an interesting set of four attack options here- two pairs of area/single target effects, two pairs of close/ranged effects. There are definitely pros and cons to picking each of these- we have a disrupting ranged attack, a spell-breaker beam, an area debuff/damage, and a powerful, accurate smite which leaves the target open for more attacks.

Of all of them, I'd say that Lightbeam is the least useful. While applying distraction is a powerful effect against mages, similar results could be achieved by simply readying an action to fire Scouring Light when they cast a spell- a much higher DC in most cases. Furthermore, I'd say that it has the least benefit from investment- a 20% miss chance is nasty, but if you're targetting a mage (as might be implied by the base effect), they just have area spells to toss out instead, and similar benefits to defense can be gained with Sphere of Light.

Note that if we extend the sets to be "melee attack/ranged attack/buff" and "single target/area", this could make cleansing light a team buff- perhaps an aura which enhances saving throws?

One way to make it more exciting is make it an active defense- you have X number of "saving throw points" or uses of Protection to give out each round, and each time you do, you reduce the damage taken from an attack(to make it consistently useful), or enhance a saving throw (say). As someone who plays Bodyguard/Combat Reflexes builds in Pathfinder, I can say that knowing that you just saved a teammate from an attack because you decided to use your Aid Another equivalent on them this round is an extremely satisfying feeling.

Buffed light beam and took advice on the cleansing light. I like smite too much to get rid of it though.

aimlessPolymath
2017-03-01, 12:14 AM
I like smite too much to get rid of it though.
That's fair.

Buffed light beam and took advice on the cleansing light.

I think you might want to break them up into multiple paragraphs.

Cleansing Light Review: Took me a couple reads to really grasp the effect, due to how many ways spell level affects the effect. If I understand it right:
-You gain (level + Cha) temporary hit points when you activate the ability. Up to your level in temporary hit points can be transferred, meaning that at least (cha) of those will be left on you as awkward hangers-on. You transfer them as an immediate action.
-At 2 levels invested, increase that number to 2x level + Cha, leaving a total of level + Cha hit points on you.
-At 4 levels invested, you can grant a saving throw bonus. If you do it as an immediate action, you can transfer hit points to add up to 5 to a saving throw, or you can grant yourself the bonus. Wording is a bit confusing about "immediate action" doing something during another person's turn- it won't break anything if you let the bonus apply to the next saving throw within one round, or even the next saving throw, not really.
-At 6 levels invested, the ability explodes- you can use it for spell resistance (at a rate of max expenditure = full level-appropriate SR against one foe), you can use it to cast a healing spell on everyone (even though your healing options aren't great and combat healing is bad anyway), and you are invincible? I'm not actually sure if I'm reading that last bit right.
Also, you gain 1 more temporary hit point per level invested, also every four levels invested increase the range and duration of this effect, and it has a handy smite effect(although not a super strong one).

Verdict: Pare it down, man. I'd reduce the effect of the 6-level investment to the spell resistance and the invincibility(?), unless healing magic is a huge part of the class. The "per four levels" investment options are sorta weak, and somewhat trample over the 2-level investment. I'd move the radius expansion into the 2-level or 4-level effect, merge the duration increase with the description of the duration (the minute-per-level one is far less affected by duration, since it lasts "more than one fight" and the temporary hit points will run out quickly anyway), and drop the
"minimum level of temporary hit points" thing, since that part doesn't even matter make a difference unless you have 8 levels or more invested (since it pretty much gets rolled into your math for the 6-level effect otherwise).

Light Beam:

must succeed against a DC of 10 + radiant blade charisma modifier + 3 times the number of spell levels invested for 1 minute plus 1 minute for each spell level invested or 3 rounds plus 1 round per spell level invested if they successfully save.
They succeed against a save or what? Does the distraction last for that long? needs a bit of wording. There are two saving throws involved in the one ability- merge them into one, I think.

The spell level investment effect is OK but situational and partially party-dependent- often, energy resistance might not come up. Furthermore, the description is convoluted and contains multiple parentheticals- might need to be broken into multiple sentences.
Elemental reduction can be better written as "they treat half of all incoming damage as though it were not affected by their resistance or immunity"- I had to read it a couple times to understand. Fortification interactions can be better understood (if not mathematically identical) if they just reduce the fortification % by half. Crit protection nullification is something which I suspect will be much more appreciated in a party with a rogue or other form of precision damage (fairly common, really).
Verdict: Situational and party-dependent usage. A decent anti-caster tool, depending on how the distraction works (does it have a duration? If so, it's pretty useful, if odd).

gooddragon1
2017-03-04, 06:16 PM
That's fair.

I think you might want to break them up into multiple paragraphs.

Cleansing Light Review: Took me a couple reads to really grasp the effect, due to how many ways spell level affects the effect. If I understand it right:
-You gain (level + Cha) temporary hit points when you activate the ability. Up to your level in temporary hit points can be transferred, meaning that at least (cha) of those will be left on you as awkward hangers-on. You transfer them as an immediate action.
-At 2 levels invested, increase that number to 2x level + Cha, leaving a total of level + Cha hit points on you.
-At 4 levels invested, you can grant a saving throw bonus. If you do it as an immediate action, you can transfer hit points to add up to 5 to a saving throw, or you can grant yourself the bonus. Wording is a bit confusing about "immediate action" doing something during another person's turn- it won't break anything if you let the bonus apply to the next saving throw within one round, or even the next saving throw, not really.
-At 6 levels invested, the ability explodes- you can use it for spell resistance (at a rate of max expenditure = full level-appropriate SR against one foe), you can use it to cast a healing spell on everyone (even though your healing options aren't great and combat healing is bad anyway), and you are invincible? I'm not actually sure if I'm reading that last bit right.
Also, you gain 1 more temporary hit point per level invested, also every four levels invested increase the range and duration of this effect, and it has a handy smite effect(although not a super strong one).

Verdict: Pare it down, man. I'd reduce the effect of the 6-level investment to the spell resistance and the invincibility(?), unless healing magic is a huge part of the class. The "per four levels" investment options are sorta weak, and somewhat trample over the 2-level investment. I'd move the radius expansion into the 2-level or 4-level effect, merge the duration increase with the description of the duration (the minute-per-level one is far less affected by duration, since it lasts "more than one fight" and the temporary hit points will run out quickly anyway), and drop the
"minimum level of temporary hit points" thing, since that part doesn't even matter make a difference unless you have 8 levels or more invested (since it pretty much gets rolled into your math for the 6-level effect otherwise).

Light Beam:

They succeed against a save or what? Does the distraction last for that long? needs a bit of wording. There are two saving throws involved in the one ability- merge them into one, I think.

The spell level investment effect is OK but situational and partially party-dependent- often, energy resistance might not come up. Furthermore, the description is convoluted and contains multiple parentheticals- might need to be broken into multiple sentences.
Elemental reduction can be better written as "they treat half of all incoming damage as though it were not affected by their resistance or immunity"- I had to read it a couple times to understand. Fortification interactions can be better understood (if not mathematically identical) if they just reduce the fortification % by half. Crit protection nullification is something which I suspect will be much more appreciated in a party with a rogue or other form of precision damage (fairly common, really).
Verdict: Situational and party-dependent usage. A decent anti-caster tool, depending on how the distraction works (does it have a duration? If so, it's pretty useful, if odd).

It's not invincibility, it's effectively DR 1 against everything, but it is complicated to read and was just meant as a perk. Removed that and some other stuff. Keeping the radius thing separate though. Note that the healing magic allows you to affect all allies in the radius with spells even if they are single target. Improved the spell resistance to be for 1 round, but limited it to be no more than your class level or their HD + 10. Changing cleansing light the help out the party healer as well with the casting as other abilities can help out the party mage (light beam), rogue (light beam), fighter (piercing light). Added fast healing as well if even 1 spell slot is invested and made it increase with the radius so there's more than 1 effect for the per 4 spell slot boost.

As for light beam, the second part was the DC for the concentration check. I think my rewording should make it more clear. The distraction does have a duration.

Reworded light beam to be easier to implement.

That should do it I think.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=370786&type=card

EDIT: Removed the 5 foot movespeed for solid fog swords of revealing light. They still can't take 5 foot steps, but making it 5 feet max was too brutal. Instead it causes flyer's maneuverability to go to clumsy (whereas before it could outright ground them if they had a minimum required forward speed of more than 5 feet).

EDIT: Improved scouring light to have a movement component which can benefit allies. Also allowed the dispel to be much pickier about what is affected.

EDIT: Reduced sphere of light damage output. 1d6+1 counterattack is strong at 1st level. Also reduced swords of revealing light damage.