PDA

View Full Version : Can I lay claim to the term "monk-rage"?

Dalebert
2017-02-27, 12:28 AM
Can I (unofficially) lay claim to the term "monk-rage" for Empty Body or is it already in common usage? It just seems so intuitive. It's basically bear totem rage for monks but with greater invisibility, no concentration tacked on.

Just two more levels away!

Desamir
2017-02-27, 03:41 AM
Empty Body is the moment when Monks spontaneously go from being one of the squishiest melee classes to one of the toughest. It's a powerhouse offensive and defensive ability that doesn't get talked about much (probably because it arrives so late).

Contrast
2017-02-27, 04:39 AM
When you say 'monk-rage' I think of the final parts of Equilibrium.

djreynolds
2017-02-27, 07:09 AM
Gun-kata, yes awesome

Dalebert
2017-02-27, 07:52 AM
I just thought of something and I'm kinda embarrassed I didn't think of it before. My monk has Alert. He's a shadow monklock who typically uses darkness but it would still be nice (for someone else to cast for him) when enemies have Devil's Sight also. Thus with either Darkness or Fog Cloud, I would be almost a full tank, minus the having decent hp part. I could take advantage of attacking normally while enemies have disadvantage.

It occurs to me that this is such a great combo I should build more characters with Alert if they can somehow get Fog Cloud. It's less great for primary casters since they typically don't melee, but for a gish, it seems awesome--arcane tricksters, bladesingers, EKs. I won't play one myself but do elemental monks get Fog Cloud?

Contrast
2017-02-27, 08:06 AM
Snip

Its worth noting that, technically speaking, simply being unseen does not grant the hidden status, though that does seem somewhat against the spririt (and logic) of the feat (someone wouldn't get advantage if you didn't know they were there but would if you did...?). Check with your DM first :smalltongue:

Dalebert
2017-02-27, 08:11 AM
Its worth noting that, technically speaking, simply being unseen does not grant the hidden status, though that does seem somewhat against the spririt (and logic) of the feat (someone wouldn't get advantage if you didn't know they were there but would if you did...?). Check with your DM first :smalltongue:

Yes, I'm aware of that strange wording. I can't really check with my DM because they're constantly changing in AL but I don't expect anyone to get that crazy with the RAW. It's that whole "I can't see or hear you and thus have no idea you're there" and thus you don't get adv vs. "I know you're there because I can hear you and thus you do get adv.

I'm curious if Crawford has ever been consulted regarding that bizarre aspect of the RAW as to the intent. I'm 99.9% certain the intent was "up to and including hidden".

Contrast
2017-02-27, 08:22 AM
Ask and ye shall receive:

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/07/25/how-alert-feat-interacts-with-an-invisible-attacker/

Deleted
2017-02-27, 09:21 AM
Empty Body is the moment when Monks spontaneously go from being one of the squishiest melee classes to one of the toughest. It's a powerhouse offensive and defensive ability that doesn't get talked about much (probably because it arrives so late).

Practically speaking, anything past level 10 isn't really worth discussing since hardly anyone goes past that level.

Which is why, typically don't homebrew past that level.

Good for theory crafting and good for creating lower level features (there are a lot of high level features that should beblower level... 14th level Bear totem should be its 3rd level feature).

Dalebert
2017-02-27, 12:57 PM
Practically speaking, anything past level 10 isn't really worth discussing since hardly anyone goes past that level.

In AL, people do. There are a fair number of tier 3 adventures and I just played my first tier 4 with this monk--Eye if Xxiphu. It was fun!

coredump
2017-02-27, 04:51 PM
In AL, people do. There are a fair number of tier 3 adventures and I just played my first tier 4 with this monk--Eye if Xxiphu. It was fun!

Partly because leveling is really fast in AL.

Dalebert
2017-02-27, 04:52 PM

Too fast in many cases, IMO.

Desamir
2017-02-27, 04:54 PM

Too fast in many cases, IMO.

How fast? Just curious, I've never played AL.

Dalebert
2017-02-27, 05:02 PM
How fast? Just curious, I've never played AL.

1 to 3 is super fast. It will take two games max but maybe just one depending.
3 to 4 is maybe 2 or 3 games.
4 to 5 (tier 2) can take a while--maybe 6 games, but you have the option to spend 20 downtime which is really cheap and jump to 5 so you can skip this level altogether if you want.
6 through 10, you probably level about every other game. Then it probably takes 2 or 3 more games than usual to hit 11 (tier 3) but you can also skip this for 100 downtime which almost everyone can afford by now but it's a bit more pricey now that they're giving more things you can use downtime for.
Then you're back to leveling about every other game until 16. Might take an extra game or two to hit 17. Don't know of ways to skip at this point other than applying extra DM rewards xp. My monk hit level 18 after two tier 4 games--actually two parts to an 8 hour module so sort of in one game.

If you're going by the hardcovers and not using milestones, it can take quite a bit longer. The estimates above are for playing AL modules.

Deleted
2017-02-27, 06:00 PM

Highly variable and completely irrelevant.

I've seen AL groups with too many players and the DM gives out XP as normal. Went 6 months in AL and got to level 3.

Dalebert
2017-02-27, 06:58 PM
Every module has a minimum xp if you complete that module. The introductory set of 5 one-hour modules (a series) have a minimum of 75 each. If you play all 5 of those and get minimum, which is unlikely, you'll still be 2nd level.

I'm looking at a chart of the Season 1 modules. After those, the absolute minimum on tier 1s is 450. That means if you play anything other than the 1-hour ones, you'll be lvl 3 in two games. If you play the series of five 1-hour short intro games and get minimum, you'll have 375 and you might have to play two more regular games, many of which are just 2-hour games.

Going on to the tier 2 modules in Season 1, the lowest minimum xp is 3000. In looking at Seasons 2 and 3, the xp have gone up. Some are still 450 xp minimum for the tier 1s but about half are 900 minimum (figuring avg level is closer to 4 for those adventures) and similarly higher minimums than 3000 for tier 2s.

That raises the question--"How little did you play over a span of 6 months?"--because that seems mathematically impossible.