PDA

View Full Version : Making a Illusion based character

FTG82
2017-02-27, 01:15 AM
I'm going to make a Illusion based character and i was hoping that there was another race that would be good for it besides gnomes. Even monster races. Any help would be amazing.

Venger
2017-02-27, 01:33 AM
I'm going to make a Illusion based character and i was hoping that there was another race that would be good for it besides gnomes. Even monster races. Any help would be amazing.

Are there any restrictions in place on what you can pick for races? beguilers (the race) are pretty solid if you don't like whisper gnomes. the beguiler class from PHB2 is also a good starting point for a first illusionist, but if you aren't interested in a gnowhere gnome, that might not necessarily grab you.

FTG82
2017-02-27, 01:37 AM
Are there any restrictions in place on what you can pick for races? beguilers (the race) are pretty solid if you don't like whisper gnomes. the beguiler class from PHB2 is also a good starting point for a first illusionist, but if you aren't interested in a gnowhere gnome, that might not necessarily grab you.

Other then has to be 3.5 and be in the books it's all free game. And what's up with the beguiler?

Venger
2017-02-27, 01:46 AM
Other then has to be 3.5 and be in the books it's all free game. And what's up with the beguiler?

Great, then you're all set.

If you don't want to be human/strongheart halfling and whisper gnome leaves you cold, you could do worse than a beguiler.

it's from shining south p60. it's small, good for casters, better for illusionists, has a +8 racial to hide and climb, always takes 10 on climbs, has a climb speed, and a prehensile tail, but the thing you care about is the true seeing effect. always on, supernatural ability. pretty great for la 0

FTG82
2017-02-27, 01:56 AM
it's from shining south p60. it's small, good for casters, better for illusionists, has a +8 racial to hide and climb, always takes 10 on climbs, has a climb speed, and a prehensile tail, but the thing you care about is the true seeing effect. always on, supernatural ability. pretty great for la 0

Thanks for that :smallsmile: I hope you have a good day

Venger
2017-02-27, 03:37 AM
Thanks for that :smallsmile: I hope you have a good day

my pleasure. let me know if you need any more help.

WhamBamSam
2017-02-27, 03:50 PM
Great, then you're all set.

If you don't want to be human/strongheart halfling and whisper gnome leaves you cold, you could do worse than a beguiler.

it's from shining south p60. it's small, good for casters, better for illusionists, has a +8 racial to hide and climb, always takes 10 on climbs, has a climb speed, and a prehensile tail, but the thing you care about is the true seeing effect. always on, supernatural ability. pretty great for la 0Well LA+0 (Cohort), which some DMs will take issue with. In addition to the things you mentioned, it has pretty great ability mods and magical beast typing, which are significant. Beguilers are very good for LA+0, even compared to humans in many cases, and in my experience they tend to get slapped down.

Illusion is one of the two schools that dual specialization the Changeling Wizard sub-levels give you. Changelings with Racial Emulation can take Gnome Illusionist sub-levels and PrCs as well.

A Lesser Tiefling (or a Racial Emulation Changeling impersonating one) with a level of Tiefling Incarnate can see in magical darkness, which is potentially noteworthy for an illusionist.

You could use Grey Elf or something for bonuses to Int and Dex. Maybe Elf Generalist Domain Wizard with the Illusion Domain.

EightBitEngine
2017-02-27, 11:29 PM
Illusion is weird but also fun. Illusion spells are nearly infinitely useful if you are creative enough. Focus on thinking out side the box with the usage of your spells rather than getting the best spells.