PDA

View Full Version : Verpal Homebrew race.

Fluffyechidna
2017-02-27, 03:43 AM
Verpals are a race of bat-esque humanoids. While lacking wings, not to mention the blood-feeding habits of stereotypical beings of their kind, they are relatively easy-going beings as a whole..... until there's a reason to dislike you. I originally made these beings for a futuristic setting, but I decided they'd work for fantasy or a modern campaign too.

(Using D&D stats.)
+2 to any stat. Verpals are pretty versatile!
You gain proficiency in two ranged weapons of your choice. Limitations: Gun-like weapons ONLY. i.e. crossbow for a fantasy setting. You'll see why in a sec.
Preferred classes: Gunslinger, fighter, assassin.
Alinements: Verpals usually veer towards the Chaotic Good, but any alinement is possible.

Additional rules: Verpals have a weird habit of hiding weapons where they probably shouldn't. If you are using a gun-esque weapon, if you run out of ammunition, roll a d20. On a 15 or higher, your Verpal draws out another weapon from any article of clothing they happen to be wearing. This rule only applies to modern and futuristic settings, and more specifically, only to pistols.
If your character fires a shot with a gun, if said gun has multiple shots in the clip, the Verpal empties the entire clip in a single turn, regardless of if you want to (Trigger happy.).
Finally, in the event of a Verpal character (PC or NPC.) dying, the character can be given a choice to re-incarnate. As Verpals have no sexual organs, they are perpetually dying out.

Backstory: Verpals were once a great civilisation, ruled over by a monarchy. However, a human necromancer named Karst, jealous of their ability to reincarnate, resurrected the greatest assassins the plane had ever known to wipe out the monarchy. They succeeded, but were slain by the bodyguards of the king and queen. The Verpals, enraged at this, swore that they would not rest until Karst was killed. As a result, within a week, they had found the necromancer's stronghold. After a long battle, climaxing with Karst's transformation into a lich, the Verpals were victorious. They erased every piece of evidence to Karst's existence and promptly dissolved into a thousand squabbling factions. For every "resurrection of the royal family", there were a dozen more.

Your size is medium, and your base speed is 30.

Hope you enjoyed my first piece of Homebrew, and I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Oh, and in addition, if anyone makes a Verpal character, tell me here.