PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Kineticist Talents

SorenKnight
2017-02-27, 08:13 AM
I'm going to be playing a wood kineticist in an upcoming campaign and my GM has given me permission to homebrew new talents because of how few wood specific ones there are. I came here looking for advice on making well balanced new talents for the wood or void elements. Feel free to share any preexisting homestretch or interesting 3rd party material if you know of any, and thanks for the help!

FYI, the campaign starts at 2nd level, but talents if any level are appreciated.

khadgar567
2017-02-27, 08:42 AM
First if you want homebrewed poison ivy talents for kineticts wrong treat mate as mods to move this one two home brew then check n jolly's kineticts supplements for aditional needs he has a list in pathfinder forums as handbook for kineticts

SorenKnight
2017-02-27, 09:09 AM
My apologies. This is the incorrect forum and I have requested the thread be moved.

aimlessPolymath
2017-02-27, 06:22 PM
If we're talking about 'how to make' new talents, well, toss around some ideas, come up with how they work mechanically, assign them a level, and you're done. Obviously, that's harder than the one sentence, but that's the basic idea- I have some experience with coming up with mechanics to fit a concept, so I'd be happy to work that out with you over PM or in this thread.

I don't know of much in the way of homebrew talents- the kineticist doesn't come up much in homebrew, generally. I could dig out some archetypes, I suppose.

For balance, the easiest way to do that is to compare them with the effects of existing talents, as well as abilities that similar classes get, to determine the rough level of the talent. Burn can be measured similarly, except keep in mind that burn is really nasty.

Here's the handbook on the kineticist (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1utgJVtJStEtZ8B923VWFYKIx6kbWQS_44zSMOb8rkT0/edit).

If you're interested in plant control specifically, there's a class in-progress right now (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?510929-The-Verdure-Base-Class-PEACH) which focuses on it. Major themes are battlefield control via plant animation and the entangle spell, some light spellcasting, and a variety of "build" options via talents. It might be possible to take parts from it to build into kineticist, but I suspect a lot would be lost in the transition.

So, what ideas do you have?

SorenKnight
2017-02-27, 09:02 PM
So, what ideas do you have?

I'm having trouble coming up with anything interesting, that's why I started this thread.

If it helps my character isn't entirely based around plants, the original concept was to make a sort of silly anime inspired character who attacked by shooting razor sharp flower petals and gave each of his attacks (different infusions/wild talents) a different name. Which he would shout at the top of his lungs, naturally.:smalltongue:

So I'm really looking for something that fits into that, but is also wood/plant/flower or void themed (as I intend to pick up void as my second element).

aimlessPolymath
2017-02-28, 12:45 AM
Did someone say anime inspired character who attacks by shouting at the top of their lungs? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?258654-Tome-of-Radiance-Mastering-the-Power-of-Love-and-Justice)

I could take a shot at coming up with Wood based abilities, I guess, but I don't have a whole lot of inspiration for them right now, especially since the only criterion is "plant-related". Um...

Um.
Infusion: Entangle the creature(s) you hit! (checks) Well, why can't you do that with wood? Entangle is a spell, damnit!
Overgrowth infusion: Turn the target's square and adjacent squares into difficult terrain.

Utility:
Fruitful Growth: Goodberry. Upgrade the number of fruit and the maximum amount healed with level, so you can feed your teammates grapes, or feed a town yourself.
I can do more, but I'm a bit tapped out on abilities. Look at the Verdure- there's definitely some abilites to pull from, especially in the base class.