View Full Version : Pathfinder Armor for a Mythic Caster

Barstro
2017-02-27, 08:42 AM
My sorcerer is seriously considering picking up Component Freedom as a Mythic Trait. Aside from being able to cast Stoneskin without the component cost, I just realized that he'd generally have no chance of arcane failure, since he can otherwise cast spells without somatic components.

Would it be beneficial for my character to wear the +1 fullplate that the party acquired? The net change is about +6 AC, -2 Touch, +9 Flat-foot, with an annoying decrease in speed until he gets Overland-Flight.

If it would be beneficial, would it make him too powerful compared to a reasonably-powered party?

Thanks

weckar
2017-02-27, 09:26 AM
Is proficiency not a factor for you, otherwise? Because you'd be as mobile as if you were literally canned if you don't have it.

Barstro
2017-02-27, 09:48 AM
My understanding is that not having armor proficiency "applies its armor check penalty to attack rolls and to all skill checks that involve moving". My character concept involves never making an attack roll. My understanding with Overland Flight is that there would be no usual need to do a skill check that involves moving anyway. But, please explain why I am wrong so I can correctly weigh the options.

Serafina
2017-02-27, 09:53 AM
Well, you'd also take the armor check penalties - so that'd be -5 to attack (including ranged touch attacks) and Fly and other such skills.
On the other hand, people won't think you're an arcane spellcaster right away, so that might be a plus depending on how the GM handles things.

Barstro
2017-02-27, 10:23 AM
Well, you'd also take the armor check penalties - so that'd be -5 to attack (including ranged touch attacks) and Fly and other such skills.
On the other hand, people won't think you're an arcane spellcaster right away, so that might be a plus depending on how the GM handles things.

1) He doesn't want to do anything that involves a d20 attack against a foe. So, -5 to attack is not much of an issue.

2) Fly, etc. is a bit of an issue, but a minor one. Frankly, I'm the only one of the group who gives a damn about fly checks and similar rules.

3) Sadly, my DMs never seem to look too deeply into NPC motivation.

stack
2017-02-27, 10:49 AM
Initiative. Nonproficiency means you take the ACP to all strength and dexterity based ability checks, which includes initiative.

Mythic makes the rocket tag issue even worse, so you want to go first.

Barstro
2017-02-27, 11:18 AM
Nonproficiency means you take the ACP to all strength and dexterity based ability checks, which includes initiative.

Well, now; that is a very good argument against wearing armor.

Kaizerbuns
2017-03-03, 11:05 PM
Most of the time you're probably better off not, even if you can mitigate the downsides. That being said if you already have Mythic Initiative (And everyone should!) the other downsides to ACP aren't too bad.

If you don't have Mythic Initiative and still want to wear armor, consider ways to reduce the ACP such as Mithril, Comfort enchantment, and of course Masterwork. You'll still be getting some penalties but depending on how you feel after that you might be able to live with it for the trade off to AC. Plus nobody would think you were the wizard and stab you first!

Eldaran
2017-03-04, 03:10 AM
I'd advise the tried and true Mithral chain shirt, since it has no ACP your non-proficiency is irrelevant. A mithral breastplate is also a good choice for the mere -1 ACP. You definitely don't want normal medium or heavy armor because it slows all your speeds, including fly speed.

As for enchantments, Heavy Fortification is pretty much the main priority unless you have some other way of avoiding crits. Crits kill spellcasters, especially ones with stoneskin that are going to shrug off a lot of normal damage otherwise.

Inevitability
2017-03-04, 05:14 AM
What does your sorcerer usually do to patch up his AC? What's his dexterity?

Barstro
2017-03-04, 02:49 PM
What does your sorcerer usually do to patch up his AC? What's his dexterity?

He generally just stays away. Sometimes uses Mirror Image. He does have +1 bracers.

I think dex is +1.

grandpheonix
2017-03-05, 05:48 PM
If youre mythic, im assuming quickened truestrike would be a good thing for you. Bumps it up to a 5th level spell, but that paired with, say, disentegrate at you should be fine, even with the negatives for aiming.

Secondly, why not mythic mage armor as a spell?

The armor bonus increases to +6. There is a 50% chance that any critical hit or sneak attack made against the target is negated and treated as a normal hit, as if the target were wearing moderate fortification armor.

Outside if this, AC should never, ever be important to you with greater invisibility, vanish, emergancy force shield (immediate action, bonus to AC 1 round).

Further, there are a bunch of other ways to avoid combat damage as a sorcerer.

Look around! Skys the limit!

Barstro
2017-03-06, 09:10 AM
If youre mythic, im assuming quickened truestrike would be a good thing for you. Bumps it up to a 5th level spell, but that paired with, say, disentegrate at you should be fine, even with the negatives for aiming.
You probably missed the comment; my character's concept is to never roll a d20 attack.

Secondly, why not mythic mage armor as a spell?
I don't consider the extra +2 (even with other bonuses) to be worth a Mythic point (though I may be incorrect on its value). I also do not have that spell (no room for it).

I agree with your other statements, but I have already stated as such. Other comments have provided sufficient evidence that there are negatives to wearing armor as stated in my original post which I had not previously considered. As my character would consider those negatives to outweigh the positives, he will not be donning any armor.

Thank you, all.

Calthropstu
2017-03-06, 10:34 AM
Initiative. Nonproficiency means you take the ACP to all strength and dexterity based ability checks, which includes initiative.

Mythic makes the rocket tag issue even worse, so you want to go first.

Heh. Rocket tag doesn't even come close to describing high level mythic. Mythic augmented maximized empowered disintigrate backed with mythic abilities = 160 damage on a passed save, no crit. Fail both saves, and you're eating up to 1440, no crit. With mythic improved crit, it's*3. Mythic spellcasters are DANGEROUS.