PDA

View Full Version : Speculation Unearthed Arcana, 2/27/17

DracoKnight
2017-02-27, 09:28 AM
So what do we think it's going to be? I saw a lot of people hoping for Mystic, but I'm not sure that's what's coming out today.

Since last week was an update of Mass Combat, do you think that they're going to update a previously released UA, and if so, which one do you want to see?

Personally, I think it would be cool to see a redone Eberron, or Light, Dark, Underdark article (I really want a better balanced Undying Light).

Deleted
2017-02-27, 09:39 AM
I hope they scrap the mystic and get better designers to create the Psionic system.

Or don't even make a Psionic system. From what I've seen, I would rather not have a Psionic system than have that crap.

I don't think this will be the Mystic. I actually don't think UA docs will feature the full mystic.

I think they have a book in the works (maybe an Unearthed Arcana book) and that is where we will find it.

As for today... Maybe Psionic subclasses for other classes or a multiclass document that gives different classes as subclasses for other classes.

A Paladin subclass for the fighter, for example.

MrStabby
2017-02-27, 09:41 AM
So there are three core books - MM, PHB, DMG.

There has been plenty of stuff for players, Volos is recent and has a lot of monsters in. The recent UA has been on a variant rule which seems to be pretty DMG focused so i would say we are looking at a couple more weeks of stuff fitting the DMG.

If I had to guess (rather than hope) I would say more guidance on worldbilding or treasure.

Treasure might be more treasure tables, guidance on plots/quests for treasure, revised rules on crafting (which would be popular), more magic items, revised rules for sentient items, blessings and so on.

More stuff on factions might be interesting - taking the idea to a wider range of settings and giving players benefits or costs associated with these.

Last think I want is anything on one specific setting.

DracoKnight
2017-02-27, 09:45 AM

There has been plenty of stuff for players, Volos is recent and has a lot of monsters in. The recent UA has been on a variant rule which seems to be pretty DMG focused so i would say we are looking at a couple more weeks of stuff fitting the DMG.

A plausible theory! :smallbiggrin:

more magic items

OH, DEAR LORD! YES PLEASE!

Also, a revised Rarity system would be nice. Their current one's crap.

Last thing I want is anything on one specific setting.

Hear, hear! Unless, of course, they wanna drop some Eberron stuff. Then I'm game for setting specific content. But I've seen enough of the Forgotten Realms to last me a while.

Deleted
2017-02-27, 09:47 AM

If I had to guess (rather than hope) I would say more guidance on worldbilding or treasure.

Treasure might be more treasure tables, guidance on plots/quests for treasure, revised rules on crafting (which would be popular), more magic items, revised rules for sentient items, blessings and so on.

More stuff on factions might be interesting - taking the idea to a wider range of settings and giving players benefits or costs associated with these.

Last think I want is anything on one specific setting.

Idk, if they brought out a spelljammer book you could take the spaceship rules and apply it to airships...

Spelljammer would be an amazing setting specific article that I could get right behind.

But WotC isn't the same company it used to be. They have been hobbled and don't show any signs of doing anything spectacular anytime soon.

BladeWing81
2017-02-27, 09:52 AM
So what do we think it's going to be? I saw a lot of people hoping for Mystic, but I'm not sure that's what's coming out today.

Since last week was an update of Mass Combat, do you think that they're going to update a previously released UA, and if so, which one do you want to see?

Personally, I think it would be cool to see a redone Eberron, or Light, Dark, Underdark article (I really want a better balanced Undying Light).

I'm really just hoping they'll add new Mystic subclasses for the other classes like fighter, rogue, rangers and Monks.

Aett_Thorn
2017-02-27, 09:59 AM
While I highly doubt it would be any of these things, I'd really love the following:

1) Spells for melee rangers similar to what they have for ranged

2) Options for ranged Paladins

3) New magical items and treasure options

4) Rebalanced previous UA options (such as Undying Light)

5) Rules for Gem dragon dragonborn

6) Warlord class so that you don't need to multiclass to two/three classes

Malaketh
2017-02-27, 10:01 AM
Idk, they made IMO, good changes from mystic v1 to mystic v2. They've had some time to work on v3 and according to one forum member it is complete.

Maybe they listened to input and changed the way it looks even more? I'd prefer to see it released in UA before an actual supplement release. At least then we can voice our dis(approval)

MrStabby
2017-02-27, 10:04 AM
While I highly doubt it would be any of these things, I'd really love the following:

Actually, just more spells would be awesome. There were the demon summoning spells and that I all I can think of from the UA.

Elemental Evil added quite a few spells but was terrible for classes like cleric, paladin and ranger. A lot of the spells were great fun but it always felt like it was waiting for the other half that added more spells. Maybe a divine UA that gives options for cleric, druid, paladin and ranger spells and rules for building / altering domain spell lists.

A non damage themed UA with lots of spells for non-combat roles could be nice as well.

Belac93
2017-02-27, 10:15 AM
Mystic 3.0, or some Dark Sun stuff (thri-keen for the win!).

Shining Wrath
2017-02-27, 10:22 AM
Speculating with spectacular speculative speculations:

Given how poorly thought out the Mass Combat rules were, another place-holder write-up on corner case rules. Perhaps they'll do something with items, and we'll all go "Meh".

Michael7123
2017-02-27, 10:23 AM
I'm hoping for more spells.

BladeWing81
2017-02-27, 10:43 AM

I would really love a fix for the dragonborn, I've never met anyone that uses their breath weapon more than two times during their whole PC career.

Deleted
2017-02-27, 10:57 AM
I would really love a fix for the dragonborn, I've never met anyone that uses their breath weapon more than two times during their whole PC career.

Turning them into dragonBORN again would be my first fix. 3.5 had some cool fluff, expand on that ideology.

Basically, Bahamut, Tiamat, or an Ancient dragon can imbue a member of a humanoid race aspects of the dragon.

Sometimes it isn't by choice, parents may give up their child to one of the above in order to gain favor or perhaps they were chosen to fulfill a prophecy.

Take the phb races and make a specific dragon born for each. Have some features carry over to their dragon born life and others left behind. Maybe human characters can have wings, breath weapon, or claws of a dragon but other races always get one of those choices.

Also, make all breath weapons shoot a stream of energy. 30' long and 5' wide, the first target to get hit in the line is affected (others dodged the brunt of it and the one hit was hit solid). At-will (less damage) or encounter (have it scale like a Warlock's spell would).

Have it be Con based.

Have feats that modify your breath weapon. 4e had some cool feats for dragon born.

jaappleton
2017-02-27, 11:22 AM
This is not an informed opinion, as some of my speculation has been. Purely a speculative guess.

New spells.

Oramac
2017-02-27, 11:37 AM

I would be more than happy with all of this. Preferably the former, but the latter would be nice as well.

GhorrinRedblade
2017-02-27, 11:38 AM
In the wake of last week, because I want Mystic so badly, I'm expecting it to be something like, "Adventurers as SBOs: Are You Withholding Enough Payroll Taxes For Your Henchmen?"

jaappleton
2017-02-27, 11:41 AM
In the wake of last week, because I want Mystic so badly, I'm expecting it to be something like, "Adventurers as SBOs: Are You Withholding Enough Payroll Taxes For Your Henchmen?"

I look like a moron at work for laughing out loud so much at this. I had to leave my desk.

Steampunkette
2017-02-27, 11:42 AM
I love the 5e Design for Mystic. It's crunchy and interesting in a way that makes it different from Vancian casters.

I just really hope they give us some more "Attack" Psionic options since, y'know, such a massive portion of the game is centered around combat and I don't wanna just play a Psychic Healer/Explorer.

I wanna make a Telekineticist who reshapes the battlefield and throws Mind-Bullets or flings allies to enemies and enemies at objects or each other to hurt them.

jaappleton
2017-02-27, 11:44 AM
I wanna make a Telekineticist who reshapes the battlefield and throws Mind-Bullets or flings allies to enemies and enemies at objects or each other to hurt them.

Seconded. I want some Goblin to huck a spear at me, only for me to catch it mid-air with my mind, spin it around, and skewer 'em with it.

DracoKnight
2017-02-27, 11:47 AM
Seconded. I want some Goblin to huck a spear at me, only for me to catch it mid-air with my mind, spin it around, and skewer 'em with it.

So a Monk with Telekinesis? :smallbiggrin:

jaappleton
2017-02-27, 11:50 AM
So a Monk with Telekinesis? :smallbiggrin:

I was just reflavoring a spear being thrown and missing, but innate Gloves of Missile Snaring is an ability I wouldn't mind having.

JumboWheat01
2017-02-27, 11:53 AM
I'm kinda hoping for an expanded spell list, partially due to the fact that I got it in my head to draw up a Green Draconic Sorcerer.

DracoKnight
2017-02-27, 11:54 AM
I was just reflavoring a spear being thrown and missing, but innate Gloves of Missile Snaring is an ability I wouldn't mind having.

Deflect Missiles
Starting at 3rd level, you can use your reaction to deflect or catch the missile when you are hit by a ranged weapon attack. When you do so, the damage you take from the attack is reduced by 1d10 + your Dexterity modifier + your monk level.

If you reduce the damage to 0, you can catch the missile if it is small enough for you to hold in one hand and you have at least one hand free. If you catch a missile in this way, you can spend 1 ki point to make a ranged attack with the weapon or piece of ammunition you just caught, as part of the same reaction. You make this attack with proficiency, regardless of your weapon proficiencies, and the missile counts as a monk weapon for the attack.

So, something like this?

jaappleton
2017-02-27, 11:54 AM
Gloves of Missile Snaring > Monk.

I just don't want two resources to manage. :smallcool:

GhorrinRedblade
2017-02-27, 11:57 AM
I look like a moron at work for laughing out loud so much at this. I had to leave my desk.

Fantastic, now I feel better about last week, when I came > <- that close to blurting out "Mass Combat, are you friggin' kidding me?" in the middle of my cube. :smallbiggrin:

Cheers!

DracoKnight
2017-02-27, 11:58 AM
Gloves of Missile Snaring > Monk.

I just don't want two resources to manage. :smallcool:

I'm not talking about multiclassing into Monk, I'm asking if you'd want that ability on the Mystic - sorry I should have made that clearer.

Because Deflect Missiles > Gloves of Missile Snaring.

Mikal
2017-02-27, 12:01 PM
I'll take the road less traveled and hope for expanded crafting and downtime activities that actually make it useful for people who want to try and expand themselves politically, economically, or in any way that doesn't require murder-hoboing across the land.

Steampunkette
2017-02-27, 12:04 PM
What time does the UA typically drop? I feel like it's around 1-2pm Eastern...

DracoKnight
2017-02-27, 12:04 PM
What time does the UA typically drop? I feel like it's around 1-2pm Eastern...

Roughly 1pm EST :smallsmile:

GhorrinRedblade
2017-02-27, 12:10 PM
I'll take the road less traveled and hope for expanded crafting and downtime activities that actually make it useful for people who want to try and expand themselves politically, economically, or in any way that doesn't require murder-hoboing across the land.

If I was to be forced at gunpoint to accept a UA that does not allow me to quote River Tam's prowess at killing with my mind, this would do nicely.

Steampunkette
2017-02-27, 12:42 PM
Am I the only one pounding F5 between the UA page and this page in turn?

jaappleton
2017-02-27, 12:44 PM

No, you are not the only one.

Malaketh
2017-02-27, 12:47 PM
No, you are not the only one.

pounding as we speak

DracoKnight

Definitely not.

Nicrosil

Nope, me too. I'm thinking we're going to get Mystic or something very niche and boring like last week.

DracoKnight
2017-02-27, 12:49 PM
pounding as we speak

Archer Voice: Phrasing!

Mikal
2017-02-27, 12:50 PM
Nope, me too. I'm thinking we're going to get Mystic or something equally niche and boring.

FTFY.
I sincerely hope it's not another class. We have so many currently that it's really hard to choose, and class bloat (even if unofficial) is becoming a thing.

INDYSTAR188
2017-02-27, 12:52 PM

What time do they generally publish? I would LOVE updated Eberron but considering its free material I'm just happy to be getting anything.

Malaketh
2017-02-27, 12:54 PM

HA!! Love it!

INDYSTAR188
2017-02-27, 12:56 PM

We need a like or +1 functionality around here!

GhorrinRedblade
2017-02-27, 12:57 PM
Now they're just messing with us...

Mikal
2017-02-27, 12:59 PM
Now they're just messing with us...

Traps.
TRAPS?
EFFING TRAPS??

Sigh.

Malaketh
2017-02-27, 01:00 PM
*Staring blankly at the screen*

Steampunkette
2017-02-27, 01:00 PM
My disappointment is palpable...

But I shall read through this, and comment on last week's UA.

Llama513
2017-02-27, 01:02 PM
Can we get the link please

Regitnui
2017-02-27, 01:02 PM
Link, anyone?

Minescratcher
2017-02-27, 01:03 PM
Link. (http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/traps-revisited)

Edit: may as well rename the thread now...

Steampunkette
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/0227_UATraps.pdf

http://p2.trrsf.com/image/fget/cf/600/600/images.terra.com/2015/10/02/admiral-ackbar-return-of-the-jedi-153580.jpg

jaappleton
They killed it with the Warlock stuff. That gets them a free pass, so the mass combat is whatever.

Traps?

C'mon. I know they're incorporating stuff for DMs. And thats good. That fine. But an entire article on traps? What DM needs help with traps?

"What's something cruel? Let's do that."

ARTICLE DONE.

Llama513
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/traps-revisited

Nicrosil
2017-02-27, 01:04 PM
Can we get the link please

*Obligatory Admiral Ackbar Quote Here*

Edit: SUPER ninjad, my god.

I'm starting to sense a pattern here. We got tons of player options recently, so now I'm guessing they're moving more towards the DM side of things. I expect upcoming articles to include more downtime stuff, enhanced treasure tables, city building stuff, etc. Probably no new monsters though, that would be too helpful.

GhorrinRedblade
2017-02-27, 01:05 PM
1pm Monday afternoon, I hit F5 and look at my monitor and what do I find? Uncle Alfresco, dead on the floor, shot through the back of the head.

Plus, no Mystic.

It was a disappointing UA on many levels.

Minescratcher
2017-02-27, 01:05 PM
A player can’t just say, “I use thieves’ tools to disable it.” That’s too murky. The player instead should describe something like, “I use my thieves’ tools to examine the lock and attempt to disable the poison needle inside it.”

10/10 would use this UA again

Edit: pretty sure this is just the DMG section on traps copy-pasted into a PDF

Steampunkette
2017-02-27, 01:07 PM
So... Looking through it:

There's some -good- traps, here. Solid quality material. There's a nice, streamlined, and outlined method of how to make traps that creates a good framework.

I would have -vastly- preferred the Mystic... but I think this is some pretty nice stuff for the other side of the screen. Certainly more applicable than Mass Combat Rules.

pwykersotz
2017-02-27, 01:07 PM
I like it! The bear trap presented is MUCH better than the hunting trap in the PHB. I haven't read the whole thing yet, but I'm excited. :smallbiggrin:

Regitnui
2017-02-27, 01:08 PM
Well, I do encourage my players to roleplay. Worked out well when the two girls were caught by those grungs that make you love mud... The cleric died happy.

Minescratcher
2017-02-27, 01:08 PM
So... Looking through it:

There's some -good- traps, here. Solid quality material. There's a nice, streamlined, and outlined method of how to make traps that creates a good framework.

I would have -vastly- preferred the Mystic... but I think this is some pretty nice stuff for the other side of the screen. Certainly more applicable than Mass Combat Rules.

Yeah. I expected it to be the DMG pages on traps, and it is, but it has a lot more detail and some new pregenerated stuff, which is quite good for what it is.

jaappleton
2017-02-27, 01:10 PM
"Excitement excitement excitement excitement kick to the groin." - Todays UA

Llama513
2017-02-27, 01:11 PM
"Excitement excitement excitement excitement kick to the groin." - Todays UA

Couldn't put it better myself

JumboWheat01
2017-02-27, 01:12 PM
Well... it's nice that DMs get something outta UA. Not gonna say I'm not disappointed, but at least DMs get some toys.

solidork
2017-02-27, 01:17 PM
What do people think about players using some of these rules to create traps? Like, it might be kinda cool to be able to fortify an area with some simple traps. Think Home Alone, Stranger Things, etc.

Other than that, most traps are my least favorite part of D&D.

Minescratcher
2017-02-27, 01:18 PM
Why exactly is the Falling Gate a 1-4, deadly threat?

INDYSTAR188
2017-02-27, 01:19 PM
As a full-time DM and a no-time player, I really appreciate the help! Traps are something I want to use more of but rarely implement well. Hopefully this can help me run them better and provide more options.

jas61292
2017-02-27, 01:19 PM
What a surprise. A UA that is not for players that is far, far more useful than almost all other UAs.

Like, I get it. Most people here are players, and only care about player options. But this is actually cool and useful, while the vast majority of player focused UA is hideously unbalanced crap. Consider me satisfied.

INDYSTAR188
2017-02-27, 01:20 PM
What a surprise. A UA that is not for players that is far, far more useful than almost all other UAs.

Like, I get it. Most people here are players, and only care about player options. But this is actually cool and useful, while the vast majority of player focused UA is hideously unbalanced crap. Consider me satisfied.

Agreed 100%.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-02-27, 01:20 PM
What do people think about players using some of these rules to create traps? Like, it might be kinda cool to be able to fortify an area with some simple traps. Think Home Alone, Stranger Things, etc.

Other than that, most traps are my least favorite part of D&D.

When i first looked at it i was like 'cool, traps. I can use this.' but really as a player. Trapmaking would be really cool downtime activity, and i hope we get a way to do that, along with better crafting rules.

jaappleton
2017-02-27, 01:21 PM
Next UA: March 13th

SharkForce
2017-02-27, 01:22 PM

probably because at those low levels, not being able to run away can be really bad.

at level 20, RNG has much less chance to screw you. at level 1, a couple of goblins can get a couple of lucky crits for almost max damage, and there goes half the party in the first round. combat is *really* swingy until you get some HP under your belt. deadly at level 4? probably not so much. but i can definitely believe deadly at level 1.

jaappleton
2017-02-27, 01:24 PM
It's nice that DMs get articles too. And yes, I am a player, and I thoroughly enjoy player options much more than I enjoy DM options. But I admit, yes, it is good... No, GREAT that there's more content is being created for DMs. However, with that said...

My DM has enough ways to kill my character, he doesn't need more :smalltongue:

Minescratcher
2017-02-27, 01:25 PM
probably because at those low levels, not being able to run away can be really bad.

at level 20, RNG has much less chance to screw you. at level 1, a couple of goblins can get a couple of lucky crits for almost max damage, and there goes half the party in the first round. combat is *really* swingy until you get some HP under your belt. deadly at level 4? probably not so much. but i can definitely believe deadly at level 1.

Makes sense, I guess, the 1-4 range is probably hardest to balance. Compared to the other 1-4 stuff, though, it seems a bit underwhelming: much more situational (are there enemies to threaten the players, can the players get past the door) and random (players can get those crits too).

I guess it's just weird because it's not meant to be used as a stand-alone trap.

DracoKnight
2017-02-27, 01:25 PM
Next UA: March 13th

Source?

[obligatory text because of the stupid 10 character limit]

EDIT: Never mind found the source: link to the sad news. (https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/836279692944629760)

jaappleton
2017-02-27, 01:26 PM
at level 1, a couple of goblins can get a couple of lucky crits for almost max damage, and there goes half the party in the first round.

This happened to me Saturday. Hobgoblin crit me and took me out. Level 3, two person party. Took out over half my health and brought me to less than zero. The other party member ran off but they caught him, too. :smallfrown:

jaappleton
2017-02-27, 01:27 PM
Source?

[obligatory text because of the stupid 10 character limit]

C'mon, DK. You know me better than to know I'm going to pull info out from my rear end. Twitter, of course. Crawford decreed it.

DivisibleByZero
2017-02-27, 01:28 PM
It cracks me up to see what happens, both this week and last, when DMs get some UA love and players have to wait. Boo friggin Hoo! The players have only had 27 or 28 out of 30 UAs aimed at them. But give DMs two in a row?
PITCHFORKS, I tell you!

Llama513
2017-02-27, 01:28 PM
It also says it in the paragraph before the usual survey stuff

Dr.Samurai
2017-02-27, 01:29 PM
This happened to me Saturday. Hobgoblin crit me and took me out. Level 3, two person party. Took out over half my health and brought me to less than zero. The other party member ran off but they caught him, too. :smallfrown:
I'm on the edge of my seat!! What happened to your teammate???

DracoKnight
2017-02-27, 01:29 PM
C'mon, DK. You know me better than to know I'm going to pull info out from my rear end. Twitter, of course. Crawford decreed it.

Oh, I know! I was just hoping that you might be wrong for once. I edited the link to the source into my post.

jaappleton
2017-02-27, 01:30 PM
It cracks me up to see what happens, both this week and last, when DMs get some UA love and players have to wait. Boo friggin Hoo! The players have only had 27 or 28 out of 30 UAs aimed at them. But give DMs two in a row?
PITCHFORKS, I tell you!

DUNGEON MASTERS DO NOT NEED MORE WAYS TO KILL US POOR PLAYERS! :smalltongue:

I do admit, there's a lot of creative traps in there. It's a good article, it is. I was just hoping for something else. I think both DMs and players alike would've been excited for more spells.

DracoKnight
2017-02-27, 01:34 PM

I do admit, there's a lot of creative traps in there. It's a good article, it is. I was just hoping for something else. I think both DMs and players alike would've been excited for more spells.

I agree with this 100%.

At the same time, I'm really happy to get this, because my campaign - which has been on hiatus for two months - starts back up on Saturday :smallbiggrin:

pwykersotz
2017-02-27, 01:38 PM

I politely and entirely disagree.

The more ways we have, the more diverse and rich of an adventure you get and the stronger the campaign is overall. And while it could go further with more robust development, traps did need a little love and I'm hugely appreciative of what we got.

jaappleton
2017-02-27, 01:40 PM
I'm on the edge of my seat!! What happened to your teammate???

Well, he managed to hide out for a couple rounds while taking pot shots are they searched the forest for him. However, neither of us rolled well at all that night. We had six or seven rounds straight where we didn't roll higher than an 8 or 9.

While he spent a couple of rounds hiding, I made my death saves. Two successes, three failures. I had 16 hit points prior to having been critt'd, and one spell slot left that I was saving for the Shield spell... but that doesn't do anything on a crit.

He was eventually caught, and pleaded. His backstory was that he was the creator of a repeating crossbow, and could be put to work for them in exchange for his life. He wasn't really going to, but it would've let him live (hopefully) long enough to attempt to escape. They knocked him out, and when he awoke, he was in chains on an assembly line.... where all the other workers looked exactly like him.

That's where we ended the session.

jaappleton
2017-02-27, 01:44 PM
I politely and entirely disagree.

The more ways we have, the more diverse and rich of an adventure you get and the stronger the campaign is overall. And while it could go further with more robust development, traps did need a little love and I'm hugely appreciative of what we got.

Oh, I know. I do enjoy new and creative things being thrown at me as a player. I've both played and DMed, so I know most of the stuff in the books by heart. It's often a little tough for me to separate my knowledge as a person VS my characters knowledge in the midst of combat, and I do try to keep them separate.

So overall I am for new and creative things being utilized to push the envelope, and help me 'up my game' as a player. I find the most boring things are "you failed your save so take X damage". No, send me to another part of the dungeon! Activate an antigravity field! That's the stuff I love and need.

GhorrinRedblade
2017-02-27, 01:45 PM
PITCHFORKS, I tell you!

It's got nothing to do with "players vs DMs", so lighten up, Francis. I've gone (checks watch) two months since Mearls' tease-tweet about Mystic v3, and somehow managed to get this far without developing any major facial tics. No mean feat for a guy like me, for whom "wait" is a four-letter word. I'm just trying to get out of this before prescription medication is involved. :D

EDIT: and just so I'm clear, today's article does what it does well. I just wanted it to do something else. :)

Idkwhatmyscreen
2017-02-27, 01:54 PM
I feel like they left monsters out as potential triggers for complex traps

I.E. Mindflayer stands in center of room spinning the blades with its mind

Foxhound438
2017-02-27, 01:57 PM
Man, some of those complex traps are just inspiring.

DracoKnight
2017-02-27, 01:58 PM
Man, some of those complex traps are just inspiring.

Right?! I love what they did with this article! :smallbiggrin:

ZZTRaider
2017-02-27, 02:12 PM

To be fair, UA is playtest material in various stages of development. A lot of it is pretty clearly just "Hey, is this concept cool and fun?" and hasn't really gone through any attempt at balance yet. Granted, some of it is horrendously unbalanced (Lore Mastery wizard comes to mind) and we should note that on the surveys, the primary concerns are thematics, fun factor, etc.

As a DM, I'm still disappointed in this UA. Traps are one of those things that have been covered pretty extensively by 3rd party resources, and already has some pretty decent 1st party support in the DMG. I would have much rather seen in depth coverage of crafting or something similar.

LVOD
2017-02-27, 02:27 PM
You think they'd ever do a planescape or dark suns UA? Because THAT would be awesome. I'm not sure you could get enough content into a UA for an entire system like that, but its be so so good.

jaappleton
2017-02-27, 02:43 PM
You think they'd ever do a planescape or dark suns UA? Because THAT would be awesome. I'm not sure you could get enough content into a UA for an entire system like that, but its be so so good.

I used to think the next big book they'd release was an Eberron campaign guide. Now I'm convinced its a Manual of the Planes, with various archetypes you might see in certain settings, and how to adapt them to ones where it may seem out of context.

MrStabby
2017-02-27, 02:48 PM
Giggle...

Giggle giggle

Bwahahahahah!

OK, I love this UA.

After a series of it and miss articles they picked this up and hit it out of the park. They took traps, and not only made them consistent, fun and flexible but they made them AWESOME as well.

Seriously those complex traps are hilarious, interactive, encourage improvisation, use skills and abilities not always used in games. They can play well by themselves as a whole encounter or add an extra level of threat and interaction to an encounter with monsters.

Now I worry that my players might get a bit too paranoid if I use these traps as much as I want to. I must restrain my enthusiasm.

Trum4n1208
2017-02-27, 02:55 PM
I was initially disappointed, but the more I think about these, the happier I am. They'll be super helpful to me and another member of our gaming group (the two current DMs).

Mikal
2017-02-27, 04:11 PM
Meh. More Murder-Hobo tricks.
If they're going to provide DM tools, I'd love some world building.

jaappleton
2017-02-27, 04:13 PM
Giggle...

Giggle giggle

Bwahahahahah!

OK, I love this UA.

After a series of it and miss articles they picked this up and hit it out of the park. They took traps, and not only made them consistent, fun and flexible but they made them AWESOME as well.

Seriously those complex traps are hilarious, interactive, encourage improvisation, use skills and abilities not always used in games. They can play well by themselves as a whole encounter or add an extra level of threat and interaction to an encounter with monsters.

Now I worry that my players might get a bit too paranoid if I use these traps as much as I want to. I must restrain my enthusiasm.

Why am I not surprised that someone named 'MrStabby' loves an article focused entirely on traps? :smallbiggrin:

Lonely Tylenol
2017-02-27, 06:49 PM
What the hell, WotC? After all of our complaints about the balance of your UA articles, you give us an article full of trap options?!

pwykersotz
2017-02-27, 06:51 PM
What the hell, WotC? After all of our complaints about the balance of your UA articles, you give us an article full of trap options?!

Okay, that made me spit soda, I almost hit my monitor. You jerkface. :smalltongue:

DracoKnight
2017-02-27, 07:58 PM

This is the most beautiful thing I've read all day.

Matrix_Walker
2017-02-27, 08:32 PM
I don't require any assistance coming up with traps...

Will GM's actually use this content?

MrStabby
2017-02-27, 08:36 PM

Explicitly as is? No, I won't.

However I think it is a great example of how to make traps fun, a good checklist for building not only traps but the dungeon around them. It is also a good reminder of how interactive non-animate elements of a dungeon can be. Furthermore I like that it offers a pretty good difficulty guide for the more complex traps - combinations of low and high DC checks, scaling damage, interaction with spells...

Sigreid
2017-02-27, 08:38 PM
I like it.

Minescratcher
2017-02-27, 08:38 PM

It has some pretty good premade traps, and I like their stuff for how to integrate traps into play so that they feel fun rather than taxing.

MasterMercury
2017-02-27, 08:46 PM
I like traps, but I suck at making them. The few I have used worked ok, but they took almost as much time as the rest of the dungeon together.
I am definitely going to use this UA. All my players are fairly new, so these player options will gather dust, but Traps? Ha! My players are going to love me.

Deleted
2017-02-27, 08:48 PM

Meh. Boring. Pass.

Malifice
2017-02-27, 10:40 PM

http://p2.trrsf.com/image/fget/cf/600/600/images.terra.com/2015/10/02/admiral-ackbar-return-of-the-jedi-153580.jpg

Heh. I loled. Pay it.

Zalabim
2017-02-28, 03:50 AM
I saw that and I was expecting damage in its statblock, somewhere, for the unlucky soul standing under the falling gate.

PITCHFORKS, I tell you!
I wouldn't call the mass combat UA "love" for DMs. I'm not sure what to call this UA either. I didn't mind reading it, but I do recognize I'd read most of it before, in the DMG.

WotC, are you asking if we want more example traps? Sure. I liked reading books of example traps. Include illustrations, please.Or are you asking if we want more advice on using traps? Because I'm a little uncertain on paying for pages in a book that repeat advice from the DMG that you've already given on using traps. Seems like it'd be a waste. I do like the idea of the whole thing being in one place, but then it needs to be different too.

Logosloki
2017-02-28, 07:42 AM
Some sort of xp guide would have been nice as well. The only time experience gets brought up is to award no xp for simple traps. I'm going to jerry some xp reward up sure but sometimes I feel that WotC forgets that some DMs are new and would like some general guidelines to get their first games running smoother.

EDIT: I also noted that a new Planeshift came out today as well, has anyone read through it yet and what do they think about it?

jaappleton
2017-02-28, 08:11 AM
I also noted that a new Planeshift came out today as well, has anyone read through it yet and what do they think about it?

It's pretty terrible, to be brutally honest.

Joe the Rat
2017-02-28, 08:14 AM

Certainly in part. The complex traps - essentially granting Lair actions to... well, the "lair" itself - would also serve as a frame for laying out active environmental hazards - bubbling caustic mud pits and crumbling ledges and whirling columns of dark energy that send out tendrils of black death, or an active lightning storm on the roof of a hilltop fortress. It can make a battlefield dynamically dangerous, and give you more ways to kill things with the environment.

...just don't forget the home field advantage for the residents.

Some sort of xp guide would have been nice as well. The only time experience gets brought up is to award no xp for simple traps. I'm going to jerry some xp reward up sure but sometimes I feel that WotC forgets that some DMs are new and would like some general guidelines to get their first games running smoother.
Pick somewhere in the tier, look at the xp for the threat level, multiply by the number of likely targets?
I get the issue with not awarding xp - if you do it for actvely avoiding/deactivating, it becomes a double whammy (xp, or no xp and resources lost), but giving xp for falling into pits seems off as well.
Complex traps are essentially an encounter, and survivng/deactivating feels like it ought to award something. But I am also a proponent of "surviving the dungeon" XP.

Unoriginal
2017-02-28, 09:42 AM

Put two of those, one at each door of a room. The PC has to succeed 4 DC 20 WIS rolls to avoid getting trapped in the room (succeeding half of those rolls will either result in this path being blocked OR the PC being separated from the group, in an unexplored part of the dungeon).

I probably will, for ease of use/calculations at minimum.

DracoKnight
2017-02-28, 09:55 AM
EDIT: I also noted that a new Planeshift came out today as well, has anyone read through it yet and what do they think about it?

Can you link to the Planeshift you're talking about?

jaappleton
2017-02-28, 10:12 AM
Can you link to the Planeshift you're talking about?

Plane Shift Kaladesh, which was actually released last week around the 16th or so. The one with the Fire Sorc origin that's just a reflavored Storm origin.

Belac93
2017-02-28, 10:12 AM
Well, I'm not going to say I'm not a little disappointed, because even though I usually DM, I love player options. However, this UA seems actually really well-balanced.

However, I would prefer the new downtime rules, but a few traps won't hurt that much.

DracoKnight
2017-02-28, 10:13 AM
Plane Shift Kaladesh, which was actually released last week around the 16th or so. The one with the Fire Sorc origin that's just a reflavored Storm origin.

Okay, that's what I thought. And that's why I was confused.

jaappleton
2017-02-28, 10:16 AM
Okay, that's what I thought. And that's why I was confused.

Your confusion is warranted. It was only added to the D&D section of the WOTC yesterday, it seems. It was exclusively on the MTG site prior.

Millstone85
2017-02-28, 10:17 AM
It just occurred to me...

This UA is a bit surprising considering TftYP is to be released in a month.
You would think they already went through this for the remake of Tomb of Horrors.

Beleriphon
2017-02-28, 10:24 AM
It just occurred to me...

This UA is a bit surprising considering TftYP is to be released in a month.
You would think they already went through this for the remake of Tomb of Horrors.

That's probably why its out now, I suspect we'll see a similar format for the traps in TftYP

KorvinStarmast
2017-02-28, 10:28 AM
Some sort of xp guide would have been nice as well. The only time experience gets brought up is to award no xp for simple traps. I can't find the article, but Gygax years ago (maybe on the dragons foot forums) mentioned that he had a basis for awarding XP for traps based on the level of the thief who disarmed them.
I'll see if I can find it.
When I read it, it made sense.
When I DM'd I 1e would award 100 Xp for a non magical trap being detected and disarmed; 300-500 XP for magical traps being detected and successfully disarmed. (Depending on just how nasty the trap was).

I'd love to see some guidance/suggestions from WoTC on 5e trap defeating values that take in to account the XP levels mapped out for this game.

MadBear
2017-02-28, 10:50 AM
I love the article overall, but I'm a bit perplexed at how non-threatening a few of the simple traps are.

If you can spot the trap with a DC10 perception check, then every PC that didn't tank their wisdom score will see the trap ahead of time. Which is fine, it just makes me wonder, why have the trap their then? In that case, your trap just becomes busy work, that I'm not sure adds much depth to the overall adventure.

Sigreid
2017-02-28, 10:55 AM
I love the article overall, but I'm a bit perplexed at how non-threatening a few of the simple traps are.

If you can spot the trap with a DC10 perception check, then every PC that didn't tank their wisdom score will see the trap ahead of time. Which is fine, it just makes me wonder, why have the trap their then? In that case, your trap just becomes busy work, that I'm not sure adds much depth to the overall adventure.

It could be there for DMS that don't want their players to be so paranoid (there was a thread last week ).

They work for areas with dim lighting , or fog, or any other obscuring effect.

They can make an enemy waste valuable time dealing with it.

That's fie for an animal trap.

Unoriginal
2017-02-28, 10:56 AM

Bear in mind the DC 10 is for the thing as it is simply lying on the floor. Put a bear trap under a pile of straw, some leaves or even a carpet, and you'll have something way nastier.

Or, put it in the path of fleeing PCs.

Shining Wrath
2017-02-28, 11:02 AM
I do like the idea of a trap that activates something in a different room, or closes off the entrance. Or open the secret door around the last corner passed, let the gelatinous cube out, and it begins following the party down the corridor.

Then the corridor ends in a 10 x 10 pit with a convenient ladder built into it and a locked door. While the party deals with the locked door - DEATH FROM ABOVE.

INDYSTAR188
2017-02-28, 11:05 AM

I've been DMing for a long time and traps are something I'm not very good at. I need the help and appreciate the article; from the examples to the advice it's all helpful and welcome.

ZZTRaider
2017-02-28, 11:31 AM
I get the issue with not awarding xp - if you do it for actvely avoiding/deactivating, it becomes a double whammy (xp, or no xp and resources lost), but giving xp for falling into pits seems off as well.

Look at it this way, then: You're not awarding XP for falling into a pit trap. You're awarding XP for managing to get out of the pit trap instead of rotting away at the bottom.

XP is awarded for overcoming a challenge. Face-tanking is a very resource inefficient way to overcome a trap, but it does get you through if it doesn't end up killing you or preventing you from continuing.

Joe the Rat
2017-02-28, 11:34 AM
That which does not kill you makes you level up? :smallbiggrin:

jitzul
2017-02-28, 12:04 PM
I'm surprised people are still looking forward to unearthed arcana. You would think after that garbage fire of "content" we got over the past few weeks people would learn Wotc design process for UA is just throwing darts at a board. Heck it isent even like they are trying to make something that is half way close to balanced (lore wizard) or makes sense (kensai). At this point I put more trust twords homebrewers to make balanced and flavorful archetypes that make sense.

DivisibleByZero
2017-02-28, 12:11 PM
I'm surprised people are still looking forward to unearthed arcana. You would think after that garbage fire of "content" we got over the past few weeks people would learn Wotc design process for UA is just throwing darts at a board. Heck it isent even like they are trying to make something that is half way close to balanced (lore wizard) or makes sense (kensai). At this point I put more trust twords homebrewers to make balanced and flavorful archetypes that make sense.

The idea for UA isn't to make balanced options. The idea for UA is to make general concepts to see how those concepts are received by the player base. They then make adjustments based on feedback.
Do you like how 5e was designed? Because the *entire* system used this process.

Sigreid
2017-02-28, 12:35 PM

I like seeing what they are thinking and apprecite the ability of the community to potentially influence their direction before things become cannon.

Temperjoke
2017-02-28, 12:57 PM

:smallconfused:

Oh, wait, let me guess, you're one of those people who expect everything that WotC releases, no matter what form it's released in, to be perfectly balanced and ready for print? I mean, it's free content, they actively take input on it for tweaking, and in cases of new classes, have re-released it for second vetting, if not officially releasing it after tweaking.

"Join date: Feb 2016"

Ah, that explains it.

EDIT: On the original topic, I like this UA, it's got good ideas for traps and can help people flesh out their dungeons besides tossing more monsters in. I mean, how often do we see someone ask about security for such-and-such place?

Deleted
2017-02-28, 11:54 PM
:smallconfused:

Oh, wait, let me guess, you're one of those people who expect everything that WotC releases, no matter what form it's released in, to be perfectly balanced and ready for print? I mean, it's free content, they actively take input on it for tweaking, and in cases of new classes, have re-released it for second vetting, if not officially releasing it after tweaking.

"Join date: Feb 2016"

Ah, that explains it.

EDIT: On the original topic, I like this UA, it's got good ideas for traps and can help people flesh out their dungeons besides tossing more monsters in. I mean, how often do we see someone ask about security for such-and-such place?

I expect decent quality and have yet to see decent quality.

I mean, at least make the click worth it. I don't recall a single UA worth using my data or bandwidth to see.

There might be one or two but UA has shown me one thing...

WotC fired the wrong people.

MadBear
2017-03-01, 12:00 AM
I expect decent quality and have yet to see decent quality.

I mean, at least make the click worth it. I don't recall a single UA worth using my data or bandwidth to see.

There might be one or two but UA has shown me one thing...

WotC fired the wrong people.

my suggestion would be for you to stop clicking on the UA arcana then.

It also begs the question, if it all is such a waste of your time, why are you on a forum discussing how much of a waste of time it was.

Wouldn't this criticism be better spent as an email to WOTC telling them what you'd like to see yourself? That way you can add something productive and hopefully get better returns on those wasted clicks.

Deleted
2017-03-01, 12:10 AM
my suggestion would be for you to stop clicking on the UA arcana then.

It also begs the question, if it all is such a waste of your time, why are you on a forum discussing how much of a waste of time it was.

Wouldn't this criticism be better spent as an email to WOTC telling them what you'd like to see yourself? That way you can add something productive and hopefully get better returns on those wasted clicks.

Oh, I'm sorry for using this forum, bad me!

Just because I don't like their UA doesn't mean I should get off this forum.

You know what I do? I read over their work so that when they put out a survey I can try and help them make something worth looking at.

I like the core of 5e, even if this system is just as deeply flawed as 3e when its all together, it has a good base. They have a real good thing that they don't seem to really give a crap about.

But I like to think that maybe if I try and help them, other people will be able to play D&D for 20+ years.

Up until recently I wasn't really aware they were just going to throw crap at the wall and see what sticks.

But I realized what UA is. UA is another program they use in order to spread the brand of D&D. I hope some day soon wotc becomes a gaming company again instead of a branding company.

Belac93
2017-03-01, 10:16 AM
That wasn't what anyone said. We said that instead of talking about how bad UA is, do something more useful with your time. Like discussing how to improve it.

You know what I do? I read over their work so that when they put out a survey I can try and help them make something worth looking at. That's good! That's exactly what you are s

But I realized what UA is. UA is another program they use in order to spread the brand of D&D. I hope some day soon wotc becomes a gaming company again instead of a branding company. I do agree with you here, but if they didn't make money off of branding, do you think they would be able to continue having time to do UA? Do you think they would have enough money to start 5e in the first place?

UA isn't a finished product. It says that right in the pdf. It's intentionally over or underpowered, so that they can get input on how to make it better.

Please don't clutter up a thread about traps with your complaints about wotc's 'failures.' We know about them, and choose to enjoy the game anyway.

Everyone on this forum has hear your argument a hundred times. Who's mind are you trying to change? Because if it's ours, you are better off looking elsewhere. We've been hearing it for as long as people have decided they had a little bit of a problem with 5e.

Don't complain about your free stuff. They are asking you to offer helpful suggestions on how to improve it. You are better off trying to improve the game than complaining about it to fans of the game.

MrStabby
2017-03-01, 11:10 AM
We are in the 5th edition forum because we play 5th edition.
Because we play 5th edition we know its problems.
Because we know the problems and still chose to play, we obviously don't really care about them so much.
Instead of pointing out to people things they don't care about and already know I would prefer it if we could have discussions that are fun and productive. Like traps. Traps are awesome.

I wonder how many complex traps I can put in a dungeon; can I build a dungeon that can use every skill and tool in the PHB? A trap that needs proficiency in water/land vehicles?

Temperjoke
2017-03-01, 11:13 AM
I wonder how many complex traps I can put in a dungeon; can I build a dungeon that can use every skill and tool in the PHB? A trap that needs proficiency in water/land vehicles?

Your players will never forgive you if you make a water temple, just warning you right now.

DracoKnight
2017-03-01, 11:21 AM
Your players will never forgive you if you make a water temple, just warning you right now.

It would be a LOT of fun, though! ^_^

Steampunkette
2017-03-01, 11:35 AM
... welp.

I know the next adventuring location I wanna make...

jaappleton
2017-03-01, 12:18 PM
You're all Chaotic Evil, just so you know.

Unoriginal
2017-03-01, 12:46 PM

How many complex traps? As much as you want to make the PCs' lives hell. You can definitively build a dungeon that does this, though.

Years ago, I made a dungeon that was composed of one central room illuminated by an opening on the ceiling, with a magic circle in the middle that caused intense cold damage to anything touching it, and with two "aisles" branching from it. At the end of each path, there was something that generated enough water to flood the dungeon, completely so if both were activated at once.

The trick was to flood the dungeon, and stand on the ice column generated by the magic circle, so you could reach the opening in the ceiling and access the rest of the dungeon.

MrStabby
2017-03-01, 03:04 PM
How many complex traps? As much as you want to make the PCs' lives hell. You can definitively build a dungeon that does this, though.

So now I am seeing a whole labyrinth filled with traps, both simple and complex. The awesome thing is that the complex traps will overlap, so one room may fill with acid whilst the place from which it is disarmed is protected by a fire-spewing trap. The overlapping effects mean that it will be absolute hell if you try to find your way through in the wrong order. Various clues, engineering diagrams and dismembered corpses will provide a method for determining the less lethal order in which traps can be disarmed. One giant logic puzzle.

And at the centre is a lone Kobald.

Temperjoke
2017-03-01, 03:06 PM
So now I am seeing a whole labyrinth filled with traps, both simple and complex. The awesome thing is that the complex traps will overlap, so one room may fill with acid whilst the place from which it is disarmed is protected by a fire-spewing trap. The overlapping effects mean that it will be absolute hell if you try to find your way through in the wrong order. Various clues, engineering diagrams and dismembered corpses will provide a method for determining the less lethal order in which traps can be disarmed. One giant logic puzzle.

And at the centre is a lone Kobald.

The twist is that the kobold built the traps from the outside in and was stuck there. He's incredibly grateful to the party for rescuing him and rewards them.

DracoKnight
2017-03-01, 03:18 PM
You're all Chaotic Evil, just so you know.

We know. We revel in our Chaotic Evil-ness :smallbiggrin:

Sigreid
2017-03-01, 03:21 PM
We know. We revel in our Chaotic Evil-ness :smallbiggrin:

I prefer schadenfreude evil, thank you very much.

Unoriginal
2017-03-01, 03:21 PM
The twist is that the kobold built the traps from the outside in and was stuck there. He's incredibly grateful to the party for rescuing him and rewards them.

Is the Kobold's name Deadalus?

MadBear
2017-03-01, 04:16 PM
Oh, I'm sorry for using this forum, bad me!

You know what I do? I read over their work so that when they put out a survey I can try and help them make something worth looking at.

I like the core of 5e, even if this system is just as deeply flawed as 3e when its all together, it has a good base. They have a real good thing that they don't seem to really give a crap about.

But I like to think that maybe if I try and help them, other people will be able to play D&D for 20+ years.

Up until recently I wasn't really aware they were just going to throw crap at the wall and see what sticks.

But I realized what UA is. UA is another program they use in order to spread the brand of D&D. I hope some day soon wotc becomes a gaming company again instead of a branding company.

My suggestion would be to read what I actually wrote, and look at it in light of what you actually wrote.

I never said you should get off the forum. I never said you should be able to post.

I merely pointed out that when you say that the UA is so bad that it isn't even worth a click. When it's so bad it isn't even worth, using bandwidth, maybe you should stop wasting your time on it.

Or you can misrepresent what I've said, and throw a hissy fit. That's your choice after all.

Vaz
2017-03-02, 02:13 PM
My suggestion would be to read what I actually wrote, and look at it in light of what you actually wrote.

I never said you should get off the forum. I never said you should be able to post.

I merely pointed out that when you say that the UA is so bad that it isn't even worth a click. When it's so bad it isn't even worth, using bandwidth, maybe you should stop wasting your time on it.

Or you can misrepresent what I've said, and throw a hissy fit. That's your choice after all.

Deleted is what we tend to call a mild cold. Serves no actual purpose but actually puts a real dampener on your day to realise that it's there.

Edit fixed

DracoKnight
2017-03-02, 02:51 PM
Deleted is what we tend to call a cancer. Serves no actual purpose but actually puts a real dampener on your day to realise that it's there.

Yeah, let's please not call people a cancer. I'm not a mod, but I don't like name calling to that level of severity.

EDIT: for the same reason you would call someone a retard, or a f*g***.

Sigreid
2017-03-02, 06:32 PM
Yeah, let's please not call people a cancer. I'm not a mod, but I don't like name calling to that level of severity.

EDIT: for the same reason you would call someone a retard, or a f*g***.

Would it be ok to call someone a mild cold? :smalltongue:

MrStabby
2017-03-02, 06:47 PM
Now I am imagining non-dungeon uses for these traps. Fairy rings of fungi that emit hallucinogenic spores, hostile boughs of trees that attack those that try to escape the forest glade and swarms of bees that cloud the area and attack those trying to disarm the trap.

Sigreid
2017-03-02, 06:54 PM
Now I am imagining non-dungeon uses for these traps. Fairy rings of fungi that emit hallucinogenic spores, hostile boughs of trees that attack those that try to escape the forest glade and swarms of bees that cloud the area and attack those trying to disarm the trap.

You could set up an X-men style danger room that they have to fight in.

MrStabby
2017-03-02, 06:56 PM
You could set up an X-men style danger room that they have to fight in.

I am unfamiliar with this? What is it?

Sigreid
2017-03-02, 07:01 PM
I am unfamiliar with this? What is it?

In the X-Men comics they have a danger room for training. It's basically a room full of lethaltraps, robots, automatic weapons and other things designed to tax the team's super powers, tactics and situation awareness to the limit.

MrStabby
2017-03-02, 07:02 PM
In the X-Men comics they have a danger room for training. It's basically a room full of lethaltraps, robots, automatic weapons and other things designed to tax the team's super powers, tactics and situation awareness to the limit.

Ah right. I guess it sucks if your superpower is to know that the room is dangerous and you shouldn't go in there.

Sigreid
2017-03-02, 07:04 PM
Ah right. I guess it sucks if your superpower is to know that the room is dangerous and you shouldn't go in there.

The hero's job is to know it's dangerous and still go in. That's what makes them heroes and not accountants. :smallbiggrin:

MrStabby
2017-03-02, 07:06 PM
The hero's job is to know it's dangerous and still go in. That's what makes them heroes and not accountants. :smallbiggrin:

Maybe they can be both? WotC next release is the adventure path "Grimbrow's double entry dungeon of doom"?

Sigreid
2017-03-02, 07:08 PM
Maybe they can be both? WotC next release is the adventure path "Grimbrow's double entry dungeon of doom"?

Haha, you reminded me that in the late 80's there was a comic series by Marvel about Pierce. An accountant for S.H.I.E.L.D who gets drawn into combat and goes all Rambo on the bad guys.

MrStabby
2017-03-02, 07:09 PM
Haha, you reminded me that in the late 80's there was a comic series by Marvel about Pierce. An accountant for S.H.I.E.L.D who gets drawn into combat and goes all Rambo on the bad guys.

I can see my reading may have been too narrow. I should maybe consider comics.

DracoKnight
2017-03-02, 07:09 PM
Would it be ok to call someone a mild cold? :smalltongue:

Should be fine :smallwink: :smalltongue:

"Grimbrow's double entry dungeon of doom"?

That...sounds like a XXX film :smalltongue:

MrStabby
2017-03-02, 07:13 PM
That...sounds like a XXX film :smalltongue:

Ha ha ha. I never noticed! Well, maybe the dungeon can have two themes? Pornography and accounting go well together? Natural bedfellows with D&D :smallwink::smallwink:.

Sigreid
2017-03-02, 07:19 PM
Ha ha ha. I never noticed! Well, maybe the dungeon can have two themes? Pornography and accounting go well together? Natural bedfellows with D&D :smallwink::smallwink:.

Accounting, porn and heroism? That's a triple threat right there.

Wartex1
2017-03-02, 07:20 PM
I'm finding the new traps to be pretty cool. It'd be cooler if there was a class that could build some traps, but whatever.

MrStabby
2017-03-02, 07:24 PM
Accounting, porn and heroism? That's a triple threat right there.

There is no accounting for what is inside a heroic codpiece.

INDYSTAR188
2017-03-02, 07:39 PM
I'm finding the new traps to be pretty cool. It'd be cooler if there was a class that could build some traps, but whatever.

Could you do that with tool proficiencies and background? ...asking for a friend.

Sigreid
2017-03-02, 09:11 PM
Could you do that with tool proficiencies and background? ...asking for a friend.

No reason you couldn't, but traps really wouldn't be able to be set up mid fight.

INDYSTAR188
2017-03-02, 09:54 PM
No reason you couldn't, but traps really wouldn't be able to be set up mid fight.

Sure but if I wanted to, say, set up a poison dart trap on my fortress of solitude? Or maybe prepare something nasty for the Hobgob patrol we know passes through this mountain pass?

Also what would a mid-fight trap even look like for a pc?

Sigreid
2017-03-02, 10:43 PM
Sure but if I wanted to, say, set up a poison dart trap on my fortress of solitude? Or maybe prepare something nasty for the Hobgob patrol we know passes through this mountain pass?

Also what would a mid-fight trap even look like for a pc?

In my campaign the rogue was allowed to trap the living hell out of our treasure room.