PDA

View Full Version : Inventions help

Mjolnirbear
2017-02-27, 11:50 AM
Okay, so I'm playing a kobold artificer. I'm looking to create mundane traps and inventions to serve various functions, and I'd love if people can offer some ideas. We use a 32-point buy with a bonus feat at the beginning (I took Magic Initiate: Mold Earth, Shape Water, and Find Familiar). Taklakest is proficient in smith's, carpenters' and thieves' tools as well as the poisoning kit, is currently level 2, and has immediate access to 300g worth of products from the PHB. I have permission to make poisons but we haven't worked out the crafting rules.

I'm trying to create tools that are useful for various situations, and easy/quick traps to protect wherever we camp. Traps that can be set up easy and fast especially. A hook wire can be looped around two trees and secured with its own hooks in a round or two, for instance.

This is what I have so far:

* injury, contact and inhaled poisons, formed into delicate paper bombs or added to needles or darts. Nothing for damage; only to put people to sleep or paralyze or blind them.
* caltrop fields--burying caltrops in areas surrounding camp where the enemy seems likely to move
* A spider-silk trap: spider familiar with web sense spinning webs in every doorway and window and keeping watch
* a view stick: a mirror or familiar on the end of a stick to look around corners.
* hook wire: wire with fishooks tied into it at regular intervals. Used for trip wires and clothesline traps.
* a hook net: a standard net with more fishhooks.
* swinging bear trap: if a door is opened, a bear trap on a rope swings into the doorway at head-height.
* spike pits and palisades with Mold Earth

He has pretty all the necessary gear: the tools, wire, rope, crowbar, pitons, traps, bells, oil, vials, pouches, alchemist's fire and alchemists' acid, almost anything a mad inventor might use from the PHB. I'd rather avoid anything OP; I'm looking for options, not power.

I'm considering switching out carpenter's tools for Alchemists' kit, but not sure how useful it will be, while a saw or a hammer can be used widely.

Fishyninja
2017-02-27, 01:27 PM
I like the idea of somehow creating a dispersal system for oil and then using alchemists fire to liaght it like a fuel air bomb.

Looking at your spells, what I would do is half bury the vial of oil. Get people to chase you choose mold earth to shatter the vial and disperse it over the assailant and then follow up with a standard tripwire causing the vial to drop onto a rock to ignite the oil.

You would need to get the assailant to stay still for the ignition to be effective so step jsut out side the trap area and taunt them to come at you.

Sir cryosin
2017-02-27, 02:47 PM
I would change out shape water for minor illusion. I'll use minor illusion to quicky hid my traps use mold earth to quicky move dirt then lay down your poison spikes then minor illusion the hole. Also Bing a kobold you can use minor illusion to hide your self make a large rock and stand in the middle of it. Squeeze into a small crack and minor illusion the crack away. Throw down caltrops and minor illusion grass, dirt, leaves, ect to hind them. Sneak into enemy's camp take someone's bed roll lay down a bear trap and minor illusion it as said bed roll.

Mjolnirbear
2017-02-27, 08:29 PM
I agree with the spell's versatility. I didn't take it because our DM tends to have all his monsters on constant lookout for illusions and perfectly memorise the contents of every room. (ok he's not that bad lol... But if you shoot from your rock illusion every single enemy will notice it and realise exactly what happened)

Shape water and mold earth however both have great versatility. A bit of water Bending can do tons of things.

Fishyninja
2017-02-28, 01:31 PM
Hmm I wonder if by combining Shape Water and Mold Earth you could make quicksand traps?