PDA

View Full Version : DC Rebirth

Deepbluediver
2017-02-27, 12:06 PM
So I've been seeing these advertisements on Youtube recently for "the biggest comics event of the decade!" or whatever the tagline is; I guess DC is hitting the reset button again?

Can someone explain this to me and what's going on with it? I generally don't read a lot of DC/Marvel comics because the continuity is such a tangled mess. And if I ever start to get emotionally invested in a character some write messes things up so badly the editors or whoever decide the only way to fix it is to pretend that never/sorta/kinda/maybe/probably/didn't happen.

So yeah, if someone could explain what's happening to me in a way that didn't make it sound interesting or appealing in the slightest, that would be great.[/meme]

Ranxerox
2017-02-27, 07:41 PM
Not a reboot. They just found a narrative way to bring back some of the characters written out of existence by Flash Point (hence the term rebirth) and tweak a few other Flash Point changes. However, most of the New 52 (ie -Post Flash Point) universe remains intact for better or worse.

Deepbluediver
2017-02-27, 07:51 PM
Not a reboot. They just found a narrative way to bring back some of the characters written out of existence by Flash Point (hence the term rebirth) and tweak a few other Flash Point changes. However, most of the New 52 (ie -Post Flash Point) universe remains intact for better or worse.
Thank you.

...are people (fans) generally happy about this? One of my biggest complaints about DC and Marvel comics is that they tend to play death for cheap drama and then 2 and a half issues later everything is back to normal.

DiscipleofBob
2017-03-02, 09:28 PM
I was actually coming back to the forums to post a discussion thread about Rebirth.

I've been collecting all the Rebirth titles since they came out last year and am almost read up on all of them. I haven't read a bad title yet.

The general consensus is that if you were someone who hated or merely didn't care for New 52, then you'll love Rebirth. If you loved New 52, well, you'll probably still like Rebirth since it's technically the same canon universe.

I know playing plot catch-up is one of the hardest factors of getting into new comics, so if anyone has any questions about what's been happening in any of the titles, different characters, or even what the different titles are, I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Deepbluediver
2017-03-02, 10:03 PM
I know playing plot catch-up is one of the hardest factors of getting into new comics, so if anyone has any questions about what's been happening in any of the titles, different characters, or even what the different titles are, I'd be happy to answer any questions.
I grew up on DCAU; I've absorbed a few other continuity-defining moments via cultural osmosis. How much is different and how much of a shock would I be in for if I tried to read these new comics?

Ranxerox
2017-03-02, 10:37 PM
Not very. Pretty much all the Rebirth changes brought the New 52 universe closer to the DCAU. Which isn't to say that it isn't different, but the kinship is clearly visible.

DiscipleofBob
2017-03-03, 05:38 AM
I grew up on DCAU; I've absorbed a few other continuity-defining moments via cultural osmosis. How much is different and how much of a shock would I be in for if I tried to read these new comics?

I'm the same personally. I didn't actually start seriously collecting comics until Rebirth.

Tonally, I'd say Rebirth is very similar. Obviously there are a lot of individual differences, but I'd say someone who's more familiar with the DCAU way of doing things won't be too disappointed. The personalities at least are there.

Probably the biggest culture shock differences would be:
- Superman is married and has a kid.
- the current extended Superman myth is kind of f***ed up and confusing, but that has more to do with the state it was in when Rebirth started.
- Cyborg is a founding member of the Justice League.
- while Hal Jordan is the original Green Lantern, he's off with the other Lanterns fixing things in space so the current Earth GL's, and therefore the JL's on the League, are rookie team Simon Baz and Jessica Cruz. They're awesome though.