PDA

View Full Version : Things that go boom

KumaBozu
2017-02-27, 12:09 PM
WotC recently released a new creature for magic called Vial Smasher the Fierce, who causes random damage through thrown explosives. I was wondering if it were possible to make a decent character around the same concept. So far, the major hurdle (that I'm aware of) is that potions generally are limited to level 3 spells or lower. Is there any way to get past this, or at least a similar style plan B?

Flickerdart
2017-02-27, 12:14 PM
There are two classes that should work well here.

Master Alchemist (Magic of Faerun) can brew potions of 9th level spells, and brew up to four potions per day. Alchemist Savant (Magic of Eberron) can brew up to three potions per day, can create spellvials (throwable potions, basically), mix his spellvials with alchemical items, and create universal potions (which can be filled with a prepared spell at a moment's notice).

Mystic Wanderer (Magic of Faerun) gets some interesting potion-related abilities - they can brew potions of any sorcerer/wizard spell of 3rd level or below, without knowing that spell. This is helpful because they are divine casters and usually wouldn't have access.

Zombimode
2017-02-27, 12:15 PM
Potions are not the way since potions are limited to spells that with an range of personal or touch. And they take effect only of you drink them. The only effect of smashing them to the ground is to throw away money.

Uncle Pine
2017-02-27, 12:18 PM
In addition to Flickerdart's mentions, you can play a Hulking Hurler and make things go boom by throwing explosive packs (Secrets of Sarlona), items with Explosive Runes inscribed on them (PHB) or just really heavy objects (Complete Warrior).

KumaBozu
2017-02-27, 12:23 PM
In addition to Flickerdart's mentions, you can play a Hulking Hurler and make things go boom by throwing explosive packs (Secrets of Sarlona), items with Explosive Runes inscribed on them (PHB) or just really heavy objects (Complete Warrior).

The druid in the party is big on bears. Do bears make for decent throwing items?

Uncle Pine
2017-02-27, 12:29 PM
The druid in the party is big on bears. Do bears make for decent throwing items?

When used as ammunition, the average 1,800 lbs. brown bear should deal 12d6 damage.

KumaBozu
2017-02-27, 12:37 PM
When used as ammunition, the average 1,800 lbs. brown bear should deal 12d6 damage.

That's..... Gonna be one hell of a fastball special. What kind of strength that do I need to lift that much?

Jack_McSnatch
2017-02-27, 08:19 PM
I made an alchemist with an elven double bow, alchemist fire arrows, the pyro feat, and the mad alchemist tactical feat. He was kind of a beast. All he used was alchemist fire, and tanglefoot arrows, and the occasional thunderstone arrow.