PDA

View Full Version : Can you end spells at will?

Sans.
2017-02-27, 12:32 PM
doobedoo10characterminimumdoobedoo

Ninja_Prawn
2017-02-27, 12:35 PM
I allow dropping of concentration as a free action, as has every DM I've played under. Not sure what the RAW has to say about it.

Fishyninja
2017-02-27, 12:42 PM
I allow dropping of concentration as a free action, as has every DM I've played under. Not sure what the RAW has to say about it.

I'm wtih Ninja Prawn on this one. You essentially created the spell and if it isn't something instantaneous and requires concentration or other prerequisites etc then you should be able to control when it ends.

Desamir
2017-02-27, 12:55 PM
If it's a concentration spell, no problem--just drop concentration. If it's not, you'll have to dispel it.

PHB 203:

You can end concentration at any time (no action required).

Sans.
2017-02-27, 12:58 PM
So... what about non-concentration persistent spells, like Tenser's Floating Disk?

Desamir
2017-02-27, 01:00 PM
So... what about non-concentration persistent spells, like Tenser's Floating Disk?

Nope. Unless the spell itself has criteria for ending it, you'll have to cast Dispel Magic to end it early. Non-concentration spells are self-sustaining magical phenomenon from the moment you finish casting them.

Laserlight
2017-02-27, 01:01 PM
However, if you're subject to Wild Magic surge, those effects do not require Concentration, which means you can't end the effect by dropping Concentration. If you polymorph yourself into a sheep, there's mutton you can do about it.

Sans.
2017-02-27, 01:42 PM
That... sucks. Come on, it's my spell!

Desamir
2017-02-27, 02:20 PM
That... sucks. Come on, it's my spell!

Kinda. You did cast the spell, but it's not dependent on you anymore. Some non-concentration spells do let you control them after initial casting, but there's no general connection between a caster and a magical effect he created.

A concentration spell is attached to you with an umbilical cord, so it's very easy to stop. A non-concentration spell is out frolicking on its own--you can still end it, but you have to dispel it just like everybody else.

Dalebert
2017-02-27, 03:38 PM
If a spell really needs to be ended early in some cases, it generally says you can do so, like Disguise Self. I used to think that was one you get stuck with for an hour but someone corrected me. It does say you can use an action to end it early.

Breaklance
2017-02-27, 04:25 PM
However, if you're subject to Wild Magic surge, those effects do not require Concentration, which means you can't end the effect by dropping Concentration. If you polymorph yourself into a sheep, there's mutton you can do about it.

That was baaad

Addaran
2017-02-27, 04:25 PM
We usually had it happen on the player's turn, but no action.

If it's a concentration spell, no problem--just drop concentration. If it's not, you'll have to dispel it.

PHB 203: You can end concentration at any time (no action required).

So if i get this right:

A and B fight C. A cast firewall between A+B and C.
If C cast lightning lure on B, A can "reactively" drop the firewall during C's turn, so that B isn't burnt to crisp?

Desamir
2017-02-27, 04:46 PM
We usually had it happen on the player's turn, but no action.

So if i get this right:

A and B fight C. A cast firewall between A+B and C.
If C cast lightning lure on B, A can "reactively" drop the firewall during C's turn, so that B isn't burnt to crisp?

Correct. If you're willing to lose the remaining duration of the spell, you can do this.

BiPolar
2017-02-27, 04:53 PM
That was baaad

oh, ewe guys!

Dalebert
2017-02-27, 04:56 PM
Yep. The rules are very clear and I've seen it done many times in game. Something like Fog Cloud ceases to be helpful and is impeding someone else in your party. You drop it on their turn just as they're running into it.

It makes sense, really. It's something you're actively doing constantly while the spell is up though it's not strenuous or complicated. Something else can attack you and cause you to lose it so it makes perfect sense that you can just cease doing it. That takes no action.