PDA

View Full Version : Good module for aspiring GM?

Wolf_Shade
2007-07-24, 10:14 AM
So, I've played D&D roughly 6 times, watched a fair number of games, and read the PHB. I know it's not a lot of experience.

I've been asked to GM sometime soon. My preference would be to design my own adventure, and I'm working on doing so, but I am curious what modules exist for 3.5. (In the event that I either don't get my adventure prepped in time, or don't feel like it's worth the bits it's taking up once done.) Preferably ones that are open source (or whatever it is called in the PPRPG realm) and avialable electronically.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-07-24, 10:17 AM
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20030530b

Problem Solved! *gong*

Also, ha. There's an official "Head of Vecna" module now. An April Fool's joke, yes, but it is there...

Wolf_Shade
2007-07-24, 10:34 AM
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20030530b

Problem Solved! *gong*

Also, ha. There's an official "Head of Vecna" module now. An April Fool's joke, yes, but it is there...

Okay thanks... I definitely wasn't expecting Wizards to have something like that.

mudbunny
2007-07-24, 10:39 AM
Okay thanks... I definitely wasn't expecting Wizards to have something like that.

What I am doing in my first game DMing is to have all three of the 1st level modules ready, and the players have been given a choice. Depending on the choice, they end up at one of the three modules.

edit I should mention that my first experience DMing is through PbP. Much slower and easier for me to handle.

Keld Denar
2007-07-24, 10:43 AM
There are quite a number of publish modules out there. I'd recommend one set for lower levels, as the mechanics are more simple then. Scourge of the Howling Horde is a good one. Red Hand of Doom has excellent story, and is well fleshed out. Plus, it has the bonus of having "...OF DOOM" in the title.

An alternative is to join the RPGA. It's free, and once you find out what region you are in, you can contact your local Triad members and start ordering mods. You just need a table of 4-6 players + a DM. All players need to have RPGA number, but they are free and easy to aquire. Then you can order free intro mods and low level regional mods for your players. A good idea would be to have a rotation DM scheme if you end up playing regularly, because if you DM a mod before you play it, you can't go back and play it (for obvious spoiler reasons). For more info, check out the RPGA website (it's linked from the main wizards website) and look for the Living Greyhawk campaign. Download and read the Living Greyhawk Campaign Sourcebook (LGCS) and give it a read. It's only about 15 pages of actual written material and covers all of the RPGA "house rules" Everything in the RPGA is free (although most conventions have event fees for RPGA events), and volunteer based. There are a goodly amount of high quality adventure modules available, and if you have the opportunity to travel at all to other states, you can bring your LG characters with you and play in LG games all over the US, Canada, Europe, and Australia. I've played some of my current characters in Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Ohio, and now Mass where I'm currently living. If you have any other questions, just ask and I can see if I can direct you to a more specific source of info.

Matthew
2007-07-26, 03:26 PM
Necromancer Games (http://www.necromancergames.com/) also provide a few Free D20 Fantasy Adventure Modules:

TG1 - Feast of the Gobbler
N1W - Necropolis - Set's Daughters
W0 - The Wizard's Amulet

Swordguy
2007-07-26, 03:31 PM
Would it be wrong of me to suggest the Tomb of Horrors?