PDA

View Full Version : A good uncommon item for a warlock

Dalebert
2017-02-27, 04:18 PM
Mine has ended up with a Headband of Intellect which he doesn't need. I want to put that on either an arcane trickster or an eldritch knight. What sort of item could I try to get via AL to trade for it?

RollToHitBlog
2017-02-27, 04:27 PM
A rod of the Pact Keeper is always a good choice. It lets you recover a spell once per long rest and makes your spell save DC and spell attack modifier better.

tkuremento
2017-02-27, 04:36 PM
Wand of the War Mage is pretty decent too
Personally I'd take something weird and out there but I'm not sure how many people find those things useful. Like personally I REALLY like the Staff of the Python, but I'm sure plenty of people don't like it.

Dalebert
2017-02-27, 05:04 PM
Thanks but I'm definitely getting the rare Rod of the Pact Keeper which is +2 so that one's out. Otherwise it would be a good suggestion.

Demonslayer666
2017-02-27, 06:07 PM
Are the uncommon items in AL different than the normal ones?

jaappleton
2017-02-27, 06:10 PM
If you're a Bladelock, snag the Gauntlets of Ogre Power.

If not, a good standby item for ANYONE is the Cloak of Protection. +1 AC and +1 to all saves. I know its not a very exciting item, but its solid.

Specter
2017-02-27, 06:26 PM
Cloak of Protection
Stone of Good Luck
Goggles of Night (if he lacks Darkvision)

These are the 'can't miss' items. If you want something more specific, it will depend on a particular build.

Dalebert
2017-02-27, 06:46 PM
He's a chain lock kobold who gets flown around by his imp. He has Devil's Sight.

I had a Wand of Web and traded it at Fai Chen for the Headband. Now I'm kinda regretting it. I got the headband thinking I'd trade it to another character (yet to make). Problem is that Wand of Web was actually pretty cool for a warlock giving me a spell option when my very limited 2 slots are gone.

Giant2005
2017-02-27, 10:35 PM
Thanks but I'm definitely getting the rare Rod of the Pact Keeper which is +2 so that one's out. Otherwise it would be a good suggestion.

It is still a good suggestion if you don't mind dedicating two of your attunement slots to Rods of the Pact Keeper. As long as the rods have different bonuses, they stack.
So having both would give you +3 to attack and DCs, while giving you the ability to recover 2 spell slots each day.

Sigreid
2017-02-27, 10:59 PM
I've always been fond of the decanter of endless water. Properly used it can be a great tool for both survival and mischief.

Dalebert
2017-02-28, 12:22 AM
As long as the rods have different bonuses, they stack.

Only for spells that have a material component since I'd have both hands full to get that benefit. If a spell has S but not M, I need a hand free.

JellyPooga
2017-02-28, 07:34 AM
Are you a GOO-lock?

If so, keep the Headband and take Detect Thoughts as a spell known, the next chance you get. A nice tasty Intelligence when you're sifting through the thoughts of your latest victim is imperative and it can and will pay its weight in gold...like, literally; you can find out where all the best loot is from mooks and that's least use of Detect Thoughts.

Dalebert
2017-02-28, 08:45 AM
Are you a GOO-lock?

Fiendish. I find GOO is a fine choice when you're just dipping lock. Fiend seems to be where it's at when you're taking a lot of levels because the temp hp from killing things scales well.

Joe the Rat
2017-02-28, 08:58 AM
It is still a good suggestion if you don't mind dedicating two of your attunement slots to Rods of the Pact Keeper. As long as the rods have different bonuses, they stack.
So having both would give you +3 to attack and DCs, while giving you the ability to recover 2 spell slots each day.
The stacking bonuses here might be a bit hinky. This is two copies of rod of the pact keeper at different strengths, which may fall under the "take the strongest" rule.
Even if so, the extra daily pact slot is not a bad thing to have. If Dalebert's +2 rod is a "will get eventually" rather than "will get when I go shopping", the +1 is a good tide-over.

Dalebert
2017-02-28, 09:12 AM
It won't be long. I can DM reward it if I don't get a chance to play that module so it will be soon after hitting tier 2 which is not long at all; basically not long enough to want to blow 15 downtime to get a millstone item that will require another 15 downtime to get rid of.

Sir cryosin
2017-02-28, 09:27 AM
Bracers of defense, wand of magic missile, cloak or ring of protection. Ever smoked bottle, circlet of blasting, pearl of power.

Demonslayer666
2017-02-28, 09:55 AM
If AL isn't any different that the normal rules (don't know and no one answered me), here's what my Warlock's wish list looks like:
Bag of Holding
Cloak of Protection (a)
Hat of Disguise (a)
Keoghtom’s Ointment (this or periapt)
Pearl of Power (a) (only good at lower levels since it can't go above 3rd)
Periapt of Health
Rod of the Pact Keeper +1 (a) (I don't understand your comment about the +2 one, but +1 is uncommon)
Slippers of Spider Climbing (a)
Stone of Good Luck (a)
Winged Boots (a)
Scrolls level 3 and below
Greater Healing potions