PDA

View Full Version : [5e] Curse of Strahd - UA playtest IC

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

tieren
2017-02-27, 04:24 PM
You find yourselves in a tattered field of a poor farmer a few leagues east of Daggerford on the edge of the Misty Forest.

You impressed Duchess Morwen of Daggerford in your first outing as a group for which you were justly rewarded. She then asked you to investigate claims of werewolves attacking farms in the area during full moons.

Locals report that the beasts are spilling out of the forest, draped in mist that seems to follow them along the ground as they spread death and mayhem.

And so you find yourselves a few hours before dusk on the night before the full moon investigating the scene of last month's attack. Farmer Yarnell was killed on this site last month, his widow is holed up in the farm house to the south of the field and there are numerous beast tracks funneling toward a breach in the post and rail fence to the east towards the forest.

Link to OOC thread:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?516733-5e-Curse-of-Strahd-UA-Playtest-OOC&p=21752648#post21752648

Kwaj
2017-02-27, 11:59 PM
Sandu raises his hand and casts light to get a better look at the tracks, murmuring a prayer to Kelemvor to guide the soul of the unfortunate farmer to his deserved rest as he does so.

Ramsus
2017-02-28, 04:40 AM
Beiro says, "Thank you for the light friend." and examines the tracks, trying to distinguish between the tracks of regular beasts and the unnatural kind they are on the hunt for.

Lord Ruby34
2017-02-28, 09:55 AM
Marcia bends down and examine's the tracks over Beiro's shoulder. "Lycanthropy is fascinating, really. There are relatively few creatures capable of changing their shape naturally, and most of them have to remain the same general size. But Lycanthropes not only get larger, but stronger too. It's a shame about the mental effects, without them lycanthropy would be an interesting option for increasing the stamina and strength of soldiers and workers. I wonder if something couldn't be done about that. Marcia pauses, briefly, to take a breath. "On the other hand finding and detaining a subject of study would be both logistically and ethically problematic..." She continues speaking as her eyes dart over the tracks, her sentences becoming increasingly technically detailed as she speculates on possible solutions to lychanthropy.

"...silver and mercury based alchemical compound? No..."

I don't know if you want to have me roll, because Beiro already is, but I'd like to use my Natural Explorer feature to know their number, size, and how long ago they passed through the area.

tieren
2017-02-28, 11:03 AM
The ground in the field is soft. It is early winter, the crops have been harvested and the field is mostly now just turned dirt.

There are numerous boot tracks from the farmhouse and roadway to the left, likely neighbors who came to assist, none of these tracks go past the fence.

Beiro notices many wolf tracks, and a few barefoot humanoid footprints, they are small perhaps from a halfling or human child. There are also some bestial tracks which Beiro is unable to identify but assumes are the werewolves they have come seeking.

Marcia estimates the boot tracks come from the same 3 or 4 humans, there appear to be about a dozen wolves leaving tracks, 1-2 barefoot humanoids, and 2-3 creatures leaving the bestial tracks. The tracks are several weeks old, all but the boot tracks lead off through the broken fence towards the forest.

Ramsus
2017-02-28, 01:00 PM
Beiro points out the tracks to any of the others who don't have the skill to identify them on their own, hoping to teach them maybe a little bit and suggests, "I believe these ones are the ones we should be following." pointing out the strange beastial tracks.

He shakes his head at Marcia's words and replies, "The essence of what makes them what they are is an upset of the natural order. It is a disease with no cure but to kill those infected with it. I would suggest not trying to put such a thing to use, that would be a dangerous path to tread."

Thematthew
2017-02-28, 03:07 PM
Andrei casts a sideways glance at Beiro, "It almost sounds as if you are sympathetic to these beasts. They are merely monsters now, no more deserving of sympathy than a rabid wolf or the walking dead."

Kwaj
2017-02-28, 03:40 PM
"Once they were men," Sandu says quietly, lifting his hand to light the way as he strides towards the broken fence. "Some part of them may be still. Death is not the worst end to life."

cobaltstarfire
2017-02-28, 06:00 PM
Zap! Hops daintily along avoiding the deeper mud holes, and making sure to stay with the rest of the group. She picks up her pace a little bit to skip up towards Sandu and Andrei and says, "It's a shame about the mental effects..." followed by the sound of a small animal crying for emphasis.

Lord Ruby34
2017-02-28, 06:20 PM
What is the natural order then? And what exists outside of it? Magic and potential suffuse all the planes of existence, waiting to be discovered and explored. While the mental effects preclude Lycananthropy from usefulness today, the same was likely thought about the uncontrolled power of evocation magic, until it was harnessed by responsible hands. Marcia shakes her head to clear it. It's a problem for another day though. Without a living test subject practical knowledge isn't possible, and the ability to ethically acquire one is not currently in my possession. For now, Beiro and Sandu are both correct. A merciful death is the only practical option.

Marcia trails her hand along the fence, wishing the break was small enough that she could mend it with her magic. "At least two of the Lycanthropes came through here, and there's someone with them."

Ramsus
2017-02-28, 08:32 PM
Beiro mutters under his breath, though still loud enough to hear, "Lycanthropy is disease born from a curse. Can't get more unnatural unless it came from rutting with demons."

cobaltstarfire
2017-02-28, 09:10 PM
Zap! cranes her head sideways towards Beiro as only a bird could do and says CUUUUUUUUURSSSSEEED in what sound suspiciously like a pirates voice, then appends more crying sounds as if the emphasize that few people ask to be cursed. She stops making sound as abruptly as she started, ending with a sharp clatter of her beak snapping shut.

Kwaj
2017-02-28, 09:51 PM
Sandu shakes his head and continues into the forest, beckoning to the others to follow.

Lord Ruby34
2017-02-28, 10:23 PM
"Rutting with demons does seem like it would quite naturally lead to a curse of some sort, or some sort of extra-planar disease..." Marcia exhales as she follows Sandu into the woods. As she walks the words "painful" and "unpleasant" stand out from her half muttered ramblings.

Kwaj
2017-02-28, 10:27 PM
"...wait." Sandu pauses in a small clearing, not far into the forest. "Weres...they do not take prisoners. Whose are the other tracks?"

Lord Ruby34
2017-03-01, 01:37 PM
"A handler, perhaps? An enchanter of some kind influencing their thoughts?" Marcia pauses for a moment and shrugs. "Atypical behavior is also a possibility."

Kwaj
2017-03-01, 04:31 PM
Sandu grunts his acquiescence. Marcia is half his age, but he knows she has forgotten more than he has ever learned. If she says the lycanthropes are being led by a humanoid, then it is likely so.

"Best be on our guard, then," he says, scanning the dark trees. "These weres will be more dangerous with a mind to guide their claws."

tieren
2017-03-01, 04:35 PM
The tracks lead deeper into the forest. They are following what appears to be an old game trail. The tracks of other beasts intermingle sometimes, deer, rabbit, fox, etc...

The tracks you are following intermingle and cover each other from time to time. In some places you see no humanoid or bestial tracks, but pick them up again a little further down the trail.

After about an hour Marcia is certain there are 2 small humanoids and 2 werewolves. The precise numbers of wolves is near impossible to determine, some appear to leave or join the main group from time to time and it is clear the pack has traversed this trail since the original tracks were left. In fact it is clear 8 wolves traveled the area of the trail you are now on no more than 24 hours ago.

As you follow the trail the sun begins to set and evening is upon you. A light mist has begun to form in the low lying places as the days relative warmth leaves the air.

The trail crosses an open area in the woods roughly circular and about 50 feet in diameter. Near the center is the unearthed roots of a great fallen oak, whose trunk and branches reach off across the ground to the northwest. The thick trunk and upturned roots create an area of relative shelter where the tree once stood.

The tracks seem erratic through the clearing, it seems all of your quarry spent time here milling about or coming and going in different directions.

Kwaj
2017-03-01, 04:44 PM
"I don't like this," Sandu murmurs, his voice almost a growl. The hairs on the back of his neck are standing on end. "I've walked into my share of ambushes before.

tieren
2017-03-01, 05:05 PM
Sandu looks about the clearing and the fallen tree but doesn't notice anything out of the ordinary or any watching eyes. The forest has quieted from the activity of the day residents and the nocturnal creatures are just beginning to stir.

The light mists have grown thicker, now laying across much of the ground and underbrush. Everything within 30 feet of you is relatively clear but beyond that the world is lightly obscured by the dimming light and mists.

tieren
2017-03-01, 05:40 PM
Zap! hops onto a low hanging branch as a perch and peers about the clearing, she notices a large owl on a high branch nearby, a small group of ravens and some strange bundles protruding slightly from the hollow where the tree once stood.

cobaltstarfire
2017-03-01, 05:50 PM
Zap! tilts her head sideways, and lets out a several convincing and loud ravens alarm calls.

She peers down at the group and says in a small gnomish voice "well that's odd", and moves around in the tree so she isn't easily visible from the clearing.

tieren
2017-03-01, 06:40 PM
All but one of the ravens fly off in a noisy panic.

The one that is left flits to a higher branch and faces towards the clearing cocking it's head to the side.

Lord Ruby34
2017-03-01, 07:22 PM
Marcia reaches down and snaps her dangling goggles into place. The moonlit scene transitioned into grey-scale to her as the magic of the goggles instantly changed how Marcia's eyes processed light. Carefully, she eases her gun from the harness holding it diagonally across her back. ""I believe we have reports of the Lycanthropes arriving cloaked in mist. Be on your guard. If that mist hides the ones that we were following it should be two Lycanthropes and a pair of humaniods."

The base of the tree catches Marcia's attention, and she attempts to find anything interesting nestled in it's askew roots without leaving the bubble of safety provided by her companions.

cobaltstarfire
2017-03-01, 07:35 PM
Zap! doesn't budge from her hiding place in the tree, but keeps quietly repeating "well that's odd"

tieren
2017-03-01, 07:42 PM
Marcia's investigation from the edge of the clearing (which is where I presume you all are) does not yield any new results.

However she does notice the sun has set and it is now dark and the mists have grown into a persistent fog.

Ramsus
2017-03-01, 08:14 PM
Beiro walks up to the raven and says, "Hello little one. Can you show us what that might be?" and points to the bundle.

tieren
2017-03-01, 09:48 PM
The raven hops on its branch a little closer to the firbolg, opens its beak and cries CUUUUUUUUURSSSSEEED in what sounds suspiciously like a pirate's voice, then flies off into the darkness.

Ramsus
2017-03-01, 10:54 PM
Beiro takes a reflexive step back at the loudness and blinks then looks to the others. He had not expected that at all.

((His player also hadn't.))

Lord Ruby34
2017-03-01, 10:58 PM
"How odd. Zap!, I believe that is a mimicry of your mimicry, does it sound more than usually familiar to you? Marcia's head swivel's as she addresses her friend, her eyes pealed for any sign of wolves, man shaped or otherwise.

tieren
2017-03-02, 09:46 AM
At the raven's cry a werewolf quickly rose from the hollow under the tree trunk. It looks at the party, gives off a howl, then scoops up what appears to be a human child clothed in rags in each arm and dashes away to the east into the fog.

Before you can react you hear answering howls from all directions and rustling in the underbrush as beasts rush towards you.

You are all keenly aware you have mere moments before they are upon you.

Kwaj
2017-03-02, 11:18 AM
"Spirits above and below," Sandu murmurs, passing his hand over his shield. The scales of Kelemvor engraved on it seem to glow dimly in the darkness. "Lend me your aid."

A nimbus of faint ghostly light seems to coalesce about Sandu's armor, shifting and twirling like fog. He draws his spear and steels himself for battle.

Ramsus
2017-03-02, 01:54 PM
Beiro moves ahead of the others a bit and readies himself for combat, taking up a defensive stance and allowing their foes come to him and reveal themselves rather than rushing into the woods.

Taking the Dodge action.

Lord Ruby34
2017-03-02, 02:36 PM
"It seems that they did take prisoner's this time. That might suggest a higher degree of awareness than is usually found in Lycanthropes. Interesting." While speaking, Marcia backpedals into the center of her group of allies, swiveling her gun around to fire at the first available target.

tieren
2017-03-02, 10:12 PM
Suddenly a large werewolf appears emerging from the mists to the east heading directly towards Beiro.

As soon as it is visible, both Zap! and Marcia fire upon it. Zap!'s firebolt strikes it in the chest singing its fur [9 dmg] but Marcia's shot goes wide and misses.

The werewolf bounds forward attacking Beiro with tooth and claw...but neither attack finds purchase past Beiro's armor and shield.

A large wolf runs up from the way the group had traveled (from the west) and attempts to bite Andrei...but it also misses

[it is Beiro's turn]

Ramsus
2017-03-02, 11:44 PM
Beiro takes two furious swings of his axe at the werewolf.

Bonus action to use Fighting Spirit
Action Surge to make an extra Attack action.
Attack 1: [roll0]
advantage: [roll1]
damage: [roll2]
if crit: [roll3]

Attack 2: [roll4]
advantage: [roll5]
damage: [roll6]
if crit: [roll7]

tieren
2017-03-03, 07:42 AM
Both of Beiro's swings connect causing significant harm to the beast [18 dmg]

The werewolf howls in pain as the silvered axe blade cuts into it flesh. The snarls of the wolves seem to intensify as 3 more emerge from the fog, one each from the south, west, and north.

The wolf from the south rushes up and attacks Marcia, the one from the north attacks Sandu, and the one from the west joins the first wolf in attacking Andrei

wolf bite attack vs. marcia [roll0]
wolf bite vs. Sandu [roll1]
wolf bite vs. Andrei (adv, pack tactics) [roll2] [roll3]

tieren
2017-03-03, 07:47 AM
Marcia and Andrei are both bitten [7 dmg each], the wolf lunging for Sandu was deflected by his shield.

Both Andrei and Marcia must make a DC 11 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone

[It is Marcia's turn to act (after savings throw)]

Lord Ruby34
2017-03-03, 09:15 AM
Marcia grimaces as the wolf slams into her and knocks her into the dirt. Instinctively, she was already slamming another shot into her thunder cannon and coming up from the ground firing at the beast savaging her.

Bonus: Reload
Move: Stand up
Attack: [roll0]
Disadvantage:[roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
Critical Damage: [roll3]

tieren
2017-03-03, 09:30 AM
Marcia's point blank shot from her thunder cannon killed the wolf which had knocked her down [wolf2 is dead], but almost instantly another wolf appears from the southeast and comes up beside the werewolf to attack Beiro....

wolf bite vs Beiro (adv, pack tactics) [roll0] [roll1]

tieren
2017-03-03, 09:33 AM
The wolf finds a weakness in Beiro's armor and delivers a particularly vicious bite [7 dmg]

it is Zap!'s turn

Beiro must make DC11 strength savings throw or be knocked prone

edited to reflect damage resistance from fighting spirit

cobaltstarfire
2017-03-03, 10:59 AM
Zap! pulls a thin metal wand from her sleeve and starts making sharp bell sounds while gesticulating wildly at an area near the Were Wolf.

Red is the area covered by shatter
OOOOOOOO
ZOOOOOOO
OOWOOOOO
WASMBWOO
WOOOWOXO
OOOOOOOO

Damage [roll0] Thunder Damage
Con Save DC=12 (on a successful save targeted creatures take half damage)

tieren
2017-03-03, 11:55 AM
A pulse of concussive force and blast of thunder emanates from an area not far behind the werewolf, forcing the fog and mist to rush outward for a moment.

Both the werewolf and the wolf attacking Beiro are affected and shake their heads [each take 4 dmg]

tieren
2017-03-03, 11:56 AM
Another wolf appears from the north and joins the one already attacking Sandu...

wolf bite vs. Sandu (adv, pack tactics) [roll0] [roll1]

tieren
2017-03-03, 11:57 AM
The wolf's attack against Sandu misses.

[It is Sandu's turn]

Kwaj
2017-03-03, 12:24 PM
Sandu grips his spear and thrusts it at the wolf threatening Marcia, trying to clear a path for the artificer to escape the melee.

Sandu's Attack
[roll0]
Damage
[roll1]

tieren
2017-03-03, 12:52 PM
The spear strikes true and the wolf is badly injured [7 dmg] but not defeated.

[It is Andrei's turn (after savings throw)]

Thematthew
2017-03-03, 01:52 PM
Andrei heaves his greatsword at one of the wolf that hit him after muttering a curse upon it.

Bonus action: Hexblade curse wolf
Damage: [roll1]
If Crit (19 or 20): [roll2]

Kwaj
2017-03-03, 01:57 PM
Andrei heaves his greatsword at one of the wolf that hit him after muttering a curse upon it.

Bonus action: Hexblade curse wolf
If Crit (19 or 20): [roll2]

Don't you add bonus damage from Hex?

Thematthew
2017-03-03, 02:02 PM
Actually, I just realized I accidentally hard baked the curse damage into my weapon stats, so it's only 8 damage. Also, didn't cast hex. And this should have been asked in the OOC thread. If the GM wants I'll move this post over there.

tieren
2017-03-03, 02:17 PM
Actually, I just realized I accidentally hard baked the curse damage into my weapon stats, so it's only 8 damage. Also, didn't cast hex. And this should have been asked in the OOC thread. If the GM wants I'll move this post over there.

No its ok, I get what happened for now. Make sure to take it out of the weapon stat for the future though so we'll know when it doesn't apply.

Andrei swings his great sword and cleanly cuts into the wolf that bit him's flank [8 dmg]. The animal yelps in pain but doesn't give up the fight, but instead snaps back at him...

wolf bite v. Andrei (adv; pack tactics) [roll0] [roll1]

tieren
2017-03-03, 02:20 PM
The wolf bites Andrei again for another wound [7 dmg].

Andrei needs to pass another DC 11 Str savings throw or be knocked prone

At the same time the werewolf makes another round of attacks against Beiro...

Werewolf bite v. Beiro [roll0]
Werewolf claws v. Beiro [roll1]

tieren
2017-03-03, 02:23 PM
The werewolf's bite lands true, but due to Beiro's fighting spirit he only takes 3 points of damage.[not really sure how to describe that effect narratively]

Beiro must make DC 12 Con save or be cursed with lycanthropy (please make the save)

[it is Beiro's turn (after savings throw)]

Ramsus
2017-03-03, 05:25 PM
Beiro grows at the wolf and shrugs it off of him and takes another swing of his axe and then...vanishes.

Bonus action to use Hidden Step and become invisible. (Basically I intend to have him make an opportunity attack with advantage if the werewolf or wolf next to him try to go for a different target. Perfectly fine with the GM rolling all that stuff to make stuff move more fluidly. Out of turn actions are the bane of pbp.)

Fighting Spirit ends.

tieren
2017-03-03, 10:49 PM
Beiro's swing again bites deep into the werewolf's flesh [12 dmg], he then vanishes from view.

The uninjured wolf attacking Andrei lunges again for another bite, as does the uninjured wolf by Sandu attack him...

wolf3 bite v Andrei (adv, pack tactics) [roll0] [roll1]
wolf6 bite v. Sandu (adv, pack tactics) [roll2] [roll3]

tieren
2017-03-03, 10:51 PM
Andrei is bitten yet again [7 dmg], and Sandu is bitten for the first time [7 dmg - from temp hp first]

Both Andrei and Sandu must make a DC11 strength savings throw or be knocked prone

[it is Marcia's turn]

Lord Ruby34
2017-03-04, 12:18 AM
Marcia chambered another shot and took aim at the lycanthrope's right eye, careful to remember Beiro's last position as she aimed her Thunder Cannon at the monster. She exhaled, doing her best to ignore the chaos surrounding her as she predicted the monsters movements, and there! She squeezed the trigger.

Bonus Action: Reload
Using Sharpshooter to ignore cover and subtract five from hit to add ten to damage.
To Hit:[roll0]
Critical Damage: [roll2]

tieren
2017-03-04, 10:28 AM
The roar of the thunder cannon echoes through the fog as a sizeable chunk of the werewolf's head vanishes in a spray of blood, brains and fur. The beast collapses, dead.

Marcia glances around quickly to see that she stands alone. Beiro has disappeared. Andrei and Sandu are lying on the ground beset by two wolves each (Andrei seems near death) and the other wolf that was attacking Beiro is readying to lunge at her.

tieren
2017-03-04, 10:33 AM
Wolf1 turns to bite Marcia...

wolf1 bite v. Marcia [roll0]

Wolf1 is still within melee range of Beiro, since it did not leave Beiro's threatened spaces it did not draw an attack of opportunity from him. Wolf1 no longer has an ally within 5 feet of him so no longer benefits from pack tactics.

tieren
2017-03-04, 10:34 AM
The wolf's attack missed Marcia.

[it is now Zap!'s turn]

cobaltstarfire
2017-03-04, 01:38 PM
Zap! Shimmies around the tree back to the side nearest battle, and carefully sizes up the situation before leaping out of the tree. She produces the sound of rocks shattering, and when she hits the ground it shatters and buckles in a 10 foot radius, except for around herself, Andrei and Sandu.

Careful Spell: Andrei and Sandu both automatically Save (they take no damage and are not knocked prone)

Dexterity Save DC 12, on a failed save targets are also knocked prone

Everything in a 10 foot radius is difficult terrain, each 5 feet of movement is doubled.

[roll0] Bludgeoning damage

OOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOO
OZO65OOO
O3ASM?WO
O4OOOO1O

OOOOOOOO

tieren
2017-03-04, 02:53 PM
Wolf4 Dex sav [roll0]
Wolf3 Dex sav [roll1]
Wolf6 Dex sav [roll2]

tieren
2017-03-04, 03:00 PM
Zap!'s spell shakes the earth churns up difficult terrain on the westward end of the battle, but does not seem to have a direct effect on any of the wolves.

Wolf 5 turns and snaps at Marcia.

Wolf5 bite v. Marcia (adv, pack tactics) [roll0] [roll1]

tieren
2017-03-04, 03:02 PM
Wolf5's attack misses Marcia, who was knocked down and injured by the earth tremor [5 dmg]

[it is Sandu's turn (you are prone in difficult terrain)]

Kwaj
2017-03-04, 08:02 PM
Sandu stands and stabs at the nearest wolf.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

tieren
2017-03-04, 11:03 PM
The wolf dodges out of the way of Sandu's thrust taking no damage.

[It is Andrei's turn]

Thematthew
2017-03-05, 03:35 AM
Andrei rises up from the ground to bring his sword crashing down onto the wolf in front of him (#4), then brings forth the burning power of his curse.

Attack wolf: [roll0]
If crit: [roll2]
If it is killed move curse to wolf 3 due to Curse Bringer
Bonus Action: Burning Hex (deal fire damage equal to Cha mod to cursed target.) 3 damage.

tieren
2017-03-05, 11:48 AM
Scrambling to his feet, Andrei swings the great sword but does not connect with his target.

Wolf4 responds by trying to take him down again...

wolf4 bite vs. Andrei (adv, pack tactics) [roll0] [roll1]

tieren
2017-03-05, 11:51 AM
As the wolf attacks, Andrei summons a shield of shimmering force to attempt to deflect the attack, but somehow the wolf is still able to bite him [7dmg]
Andrei falls unconscious to the ground.

[it is Beiro's turn]1

Ramsus
2017-03-05, 05:08 PM
Berio, popping back into the visible world, strikes out at the wolf next to himself and Marcia.

Hidden Step ends.
Bonus action to use Fighting Spirit.
Attack vs Wolf 1: [roll0]

tieren
2017-03-05, 07:26 PM
Wolf1 never saw the blow coming as Beiro reappeared with his bloodied axe mid-swing. The mighty cleave took the wolf's head clean off.

Wolf3 and Wolf6 both turn their attention towards the Kenku which dropped into their midst...

Wolf3 bite v. Zap (adv, pack tactics) [roll0] [roll1]
Wolf6 bite v. Zap (adv, pack tactics) [roll2] [roll3]

tieren
2017-03-05, 07:28 PM
Both wolves bite a hold of Zap! and attempt to drag her to the ground [14 dmg]

Zap! must make 2 DC11 strength savings throws or be knocked prone (roll twice)

[It is then Marcia's turn]

Lord Ruby34
2017-03-05, 09:00 PM
"Damnable beasts!" Marcia swears as she fights off the wolves lunges. She comes to her feet again, this time with her rapier drawn while her gun is held vertically in her right hand. "This has already gone on too long!" She yells at the wolf, knowing that it won't understand her even as she thrusts her blade at the wolf's sternum.

Move: Stand up
Action: Attack with rapier:
Damage:
Crit Damage: 1d8

If Marcia kills the wolf she's going to step back away from Sandu and the wolves and reload her gun. I'll edit my post to describe that if it happens.

EDIT: For text colors

tieren
2017-03-05, 11:46 PM
Marcia's thrust misses its mark and the wolf is unfazed in its assault.

[It is Zap!'s turn]

cobaltstarfire
2017-03-06, 12:47 PM
Zap pulls herself up from the ground and makes the sound of wood crackling in a flame while pointing her want in turn at the two nearest wolves (2 and 6).

To hit 2 (at disadvantage) [roll0] [roll1]
If crit [roll3]

To hit 6 (at disadvantage) [roll4] [roll5]
Damage: [roll6]
If crit [roll7]

tieren
2017-03-06, 02:11 PM
Zap! launches two bolts of fire at the closest wolves, but at such close range the aiming was difficult and the bolts missed their targets.

Wolf5 bit again at Marcia...

Wolf5 bite v. Marcia (adv, pack tactics) [roll0] [roll1]

tieren
2017-03-06, 02:12 PM
Wolf5 bites Marcia [7dmg] and attempts to knock her over...

Marcia must make DC11 Strength savings throw or be knocked prone

[it is Sandu's turn]

Kwaj
2017-03-06, 03:43 PM
Sandu throws down his spear and lays his hand on Andrei, murmuring a prayer to Kelemvor, casting cure wounds as a 2nd-level spell for 19 hit points healed.

The Grave domain ability lets a healing spell cast on a creature at 0 hp automatically roll the maximum number of hit points, so cure wounds at 2nd level is 2d8 (16) plus ability modifier (3).

tieren
2017-03-06, 03:54 PM
The wave of healing energy crashes through Andrei, mending his wounds and replenishing his spirit. His eyes snap open while he lies on the broken earth, the sounds of snarling wolves all around him.

[It is now Andrei's turn (you are prone)]

Thematthew
2017-03-06, 04:04 PM
Andrei rises up once more from prone, intent on killing the wolf who savaged him.

Attack wolf 4: [roll0]
If crit: [roll2]
If it is killed move curse to wolf 3 due to Curse Bringer
Bonus Action: Burning Hex (deal fire damage equal to Cha mod to cursed target.) 3 damage.

tieren
2017-03-06, 04:17 PM
Andrei's swing again does not connect with the elusive wolf.

Wolf4 snaps back at him...

Wolf4 bite v. Andrei (adv, pack tactics) [roll0] [roll1]

tieren
2017-03-06, 04:18 PM
Wolf 4 bites him again [7 dmg]

Andrei must make DC11 strength saving throw or be knocked prone again

[It is Beiro's turn]

Ramsus
2017-03-06, 10:53 PM
Beiro turns to the other wolf and attempts to cut it down as well.

Attack wolf 5: [roll0]

Fighting Spirit ends.

Edit: Awww... so close.

Edit 2: Bonus action Second Wind. Rolled in OOC, regained 6 hp.

tieren
2017-03-07, 09:42 AM
Beiro's axe ends another wolf's life as wolf5 dies in a squeal.

At about the same time you all hear a distant howl from the fog and the remaining 3 wolves break off looking as if they want to run off and join the source of the howl.

Andrei may make an Attack of opportunity against wolf 3 or 4, Marcia may make an attack of opportunity against wolf 6 with her rapier, and assuming 6 survives Marcia it is going to run through Beiro's threatened spaces and he will also get an attack of opportunity.

I do not believe Zap! or Sandu are currently holding melee weapons, if I am mistaken please advise in OOC thread.

Lord Ruby34
2017-03-07, 09:59 AM
Marcia lunges again at the fleeing wolf, hoping to drive it off for good.

Crit Damage: [roll2]

tieren
2017-03-07, 10:13 AM
Marcia stabs Wolf6 with her rapier as it turns to run off [6 dmg], it then begins to dash away from Marcia, Sandu, and Zap and past Beiro...

cobaltstarfire
2017-03-07, 12:28 PM
Zap! takes a swipe at the passing wolf with a faintly glowing hand.

Zap! is trying to ignite the wolves fur while she's at it, it only takes a touch after all.

To hit [roll0]
[does 1 bludgeoning if it hits]

Kwaj
2017-03-07, 12:55 PM
Sandu lashes out with a kick at the wolf.

Unarmed Attack [roll0]
Damage: 1 bludgeoning

Ramsus
2017-03-07, 01:09 PM
Berio takes a swing at the wolf passing him as it leaves. He normally would let the beast go as it's just an animal, but it's aiding the werewolves and might become a threat to their group or innocent folk in the future.

Opportunity attack wolf 6: [roll0]
damage: [roll1]
if crit: [roll2]

Thematthew
2017-03-07, 06:06 PM
Andrei attempts one last strike on the wolf before it leaves.

[roll0]
crit: [roll2]

tieren
2017-03-07, 06:32 PM
The rest of you miss your opportunity attacks as the beasts slip away into the fog.

You are left alone in the clearing, the hollow beneath the fallen tree about 15 feet to your north east. In the distance you hear wolf cries answering one another.

Lord Ruby34
2017-03-07, 08:16 PM
"We need to hurry, those children are in danger, and every minute we wait lessens their chances of survival. As she speaks Marcia wipes the blood from her rapier and sheathes it. "Beiro, we should begin tracking the lycanthrope immediately. We're less than a minute behind it if we act now." She chambers another round in her thunder cannon and hurries toward the overturned stump, beginning to look for tracks.

Ramsus
2017-03-07, 10:36 PM
Beiro looks at the haggard group somewhat warily, then looks for the tracks as requested.

Survival: [roll0]

tieren
2017-03-07, 10:46 PM
You easily spot the fresh tracks of the werewolf you saw carry the small children off to the east.

The night is dark and the fog is thick.

Kwaj
2017-03-08, 04:21 PM
"Kelemvor spare these two," Sandu whispers as he murmurs a healing prayer over Marcia and Zap! "Their time is not yet come."

He casts an uneasy glimpse into the dark woods. "We should follow those children, before the trail grows cold."

Sandu is casting cure wounds on both Marcia and Zap! with a first level slot each.

Healing Marcia: [roll0]
Healing Zap!: [roll1]

Lord Ruby34
2017-03-08, 05:19 PM
As Sandu heals her and Zap!, Beiro begins to follow the tracks, and the rest of her companions prepare themselves Marcia takes a look at the base of the overturned tree.

Investigation: [roll0]

tieren
2017-03-08, 08:09 PM
Marcia looks into the hollow at the base of the tree and sees what is likely the wolves den.

There are two bundles of clothes, that appear to be simple peasant garb in greys and blues. One of men's clothing and one of woman's clothing.

At the back of the den she sees a wooden box with a hinged lid, not a chest though, more like a toolbox. On the ground besides the box are a couple of children's toys, broken and chewed.

Lord Ruby34
2017-03-09, 03:45 PM
Marcia takes two steps forward and opens the box.

tieren
2017-03-09, 04:05 PM
Inside Marcia finds a bag with 60 copper coins and 4 gold pieces, 3 gold wedding rings (worth 2 gp each), and simple steel chain necklace with an amber pendant (worth 5 gp).

Beneath the bag is a fine woolen cloak of uncommon quality.

Lord Ruby34
2017-03-09, 04:13 PM
Marcia tosses the bag and cloak in her pack for later sorting and returns to helping Beiro follow the tracks, muttering about "uncommon accommodations" and "...the effect of natural lycanthropy on childhood development..."

Kwaj
2017-03-09, 04:17 PM
"They were children," Sandu says as they follow the tracks further into the wood. It is too dark to properly tell, but the others think they can see a pained look on his face. "The were took a pair of children. And those rings...was this a family? Is it still? We killed one of them..."

tieren
2017-03-09, 04:31 PM
A few hundred feet from the clearing the barefoot humanoid tracks resume and the bestial tracks are less pronounced. It's been a few minutes since the last time you heard any sign of the wolves.

The tracks lead off to the north and east, but the elevation is rising slightly and the ground is rockier. You do not appear to be following the game trail any longer and dead branches continually reach out of the fog to slow your progress as does underbrush and gnarled roots.

Lord Ruby34
2017-03-09, 04:36 PM
"The children haven't turned tonight, and have so far been unharmed. It is likely that the parents were turned recently, and while they have been spreading death and destruction over the area they retain just enough control over their base instincts to protect their own offspring, at least for now." Marcia takes her eyes off the tracks leading deeper into the forest. "There is no data that suggests how long that state of affairs will last. It could hold forever... or only for minutes longer before their minds deteriorate completely. In either event we do not posses the resources to cur them of their affliction, and for the good of everyone nearby, those two children, and the shattered souls of their parents we have a duty to pursue them and stop them from hurting or killing anybody else." Memories of her own parents sacrifice lend a melancholy undercurrent to Marcia's words. "I have no doubt that if the parents were still of sound mind, they would agree."

Pretend my post is above tieren's and a direct response to Sandu. I was typing at the same time he was.

Ramsus
2017-03-09, 08:18 PM
Beiro gives a sad sounding affirmative grunt in reply.

Kwaj
2017-03-09, 09:56 PM
"Damn this fog," Sandu mutters, using his spear as a walking stick on the increasingly steep
path. He scans the foggy night for any further sign of danger.

Perception to check for danger [roll0]

Thematthew
2017-03-09, 10:25 PM
Andrei mostly mutters about wolves and needing a breather as he waits for the rest of the group to decide what to do.

tieren
2017-03-10, 10:01 AM
The tracks lead on to the top of a flat boulder on top of a low rise. No one in the party is able to see where the tracks pick up again, it is as if they just disappearred into the fog.

The ground has been growing more steep and you believe you are near the top of a small hill, but still can't see more than 20-30 feet in any direction.

Nothing about the terrain you have been covering seems right from what you observed about the terrain from way back at the farm. It almost feels like you are climbing a low mountain pass but there shouldn't have been anything like that around for days worth of travel.

You are lost, this is particularly troubling to Marcia who was fairly certain she couldn't get lost.

From all around you, in nearly every direction you hear the cries of pirates "CCCUURRRSSSEEEED".

Kwaj
2017-03-10, 10:19 AM
"Three times," Sandu says, and to the others' surprise he visibly shudders. An old, old peasant's superstition rises in his memory. "We've been warned. This place is cursed. Twice we've been warned. Third time is last."

tieren
2017-03-10, 11:12 AM
You hear screams from the direction you assume is north.

It is not constant, you hear a shriek, then a pause, then shrieks for a minute, then another pause, etc...

Your characters don't have anyway of knowing this without discussing it with each other, but you each hear screams that sound as if they were made by a member of your particular race.

This is especially troubling for Zap!, who doesn't hear a mimicry of a scream but a visceral guttural vocalization of pain, suffering, and lament from another kenku.

cobaltstarfire
2017-03-10, 11:12 AM
Zap! repeats the CCCUURRRSSSEEEED then adds a few quizzical chirps, tilting her head from side to side looking around.

"Howcome?!" she says in the irritated voice of a small boy.

Ramsus
2017-03-10, 01:32 PM
Beiro rushes off in the direction of the screams at the first one, convinced one of his people is in danger. Something he's seen enough of for this life.

Lord Ruby34
2017-03-10, 05:11 PM
Marcia dashes after him, hissing "Biero, the children have to be our priority! If you would hold for a minute I can reorient myself and we will soon be on their trail once more!"

Ramsus
2017-03-10, 10:48 PM
Beiro doesn't respond and just keeps running as lycanthrope children in the custody of their parents are not a priority for him over his own people currently in danger.

tieren
2017-03-11, 06:15 AM
As you stumble forward the fog gets thicker and thicker until all visibility is lost. Shortly thereafter you emerge from a bank of fog into an area of relative clearness. Before you lies a muddy roadway. Giant trees loom on both sides of the road.

Behind you the fog spills out of the forest swallowing up the road.

The shrieks are coming from the darkness a little further up the road. As you get closer you see huge stone buttresses looming grey in the night. Huge iron gates hang on the stonework. Dew clings with cold tenacity to the rusted bars. Two headless statues of armed guardians flank the gate, their heads now lying among the weeds at their feet.

The gate on the right is slowly swaying on its ancient hinges, as if in a breeze you do not feel. With every sway the hinges emit another shriek, sounding unmistakable to you as a scream of a member of your race.

The road continues on past the gate into the dark forest.

Ramsus
2017-03-11, 04:50 PM
Beiro stops when he sees the gate and looks at it in confusion. That is not a normal gate noise at all.

Lord Ruby34
2017-03-12, 01:57 AM
"We must have stepped though a portal...transpatial or transdeminsional...How? A curse? An attribute of the fog? No. It had to be a confluence of factors that resulted in our transposition. But where are we? Could it be? Marcia stopped and wondered at the massive gate.

History to identify the gate, assuming it can be identified: [roll0]

tieren
2017-03-12, 08:34 AM
Marcia doesn't recall anything about the history of the gate.

She vaguely recalls an old folktale about gypsies stealing children in the night, but she can't seem to get the details right nor does she know why she is thinking of it now.

Kwaj
2017-03-12, 09:51 AM
"This gate is ill-opened," Sandu says, making a gesture to ward off evil, "But I like this fog even less."

He very slowly pushes the gate open.

Ramsus
2017-03-12, 12:42 PM
Beiro huffs a bit, having just run for quite a distance not long after a fight. "Mayhaps" *huff* "we could rest a bit before" *huff* "proceeding through to whatever lies beyond such a" *huff" "dark omened portal?"

((Taking a short rest now might be a good idea.))

Lord Ruby34
2017-03-12, 02:56 PM
"Considering the oddity of the location... I believe we have already failed to rescue the children. I can no longer find the tracks, and we are isolated in a strange area. Taking a break to catch our breath before proceeding seems prudent.

Thematthew
2017-03-12, 07:48 PM
"It is too bad we lost them. Though I wonder how, given how good the two of you are at tracking." Andrei adds while looking at the gates before the group, "I do agree that a rest is in order, so that we can meet whatever foes hide here at somewhat full strength."

Ramsus
2017-03-13, 12:34 AM
"The tracks were there one moment and then not the next." Beiro answers, sounding clearly dissatisfied with his own answer.

Lord Ruby34
2017-03-13, 12:53 AM
Marcia grumbles an irritable agreement.

Kwaj
2017-03-13, 12:55 AM
"Let us wait, then. I will take watch, and pray to my god for answers to this riddle."

cobaltstarfire
2017-03-13, 03:43 PM
Zap! Huffs and then clambers on top of one of the statues head to perch.

Where is it? Where is it? Where is it?

"The tracks were there one moment and then not the next."

She huffs a little bit more then hunkers down and idly starts heating any moss growing on the statue just enough to cause it to smolder before fizzling out.

tieren
2017-03-13, 06:05 PM
Throughout the night you are tormented by the shrieks from the gates hinges and the occasional howling of wolves in the distance. When you do sleep your dreams are troubled by images of your friends and loved ones in mortal peril.

Otherwise the night passes uneventfully.

The dawn was a lightening of the blackness of night into the grey of day. The sky is overcast, with no blue sky visible for miles, although you don't get the feeling any precipitation is likely.

Everyone recovers HD from the long rest up to max hp minus 1 point for the troubled sleep.

Kwaj
2017-03-15, 02:34 PM
"Children still missing," Sandu says, stretching his bones and secretly feeling his age. "Cursed gate still waiting. Shall we see what lies beyond?"

cobaltstarfire
2017-03-15, 02:57 PM
"Children still missing" "Where is it?" Zap! says, then adds the sound of the gate creaking, followed by quizzical chirps. She paces around ontop of the statue head chirping quietly to herself, uncertain as to whether the children would be within the strange place they have found, or somewhere else entirely.

Ramsus
2017-03-15, 04:16 PM
Beiro finishes putting his armor on and replies, "We might as well."

tieren
2017-03-15, 08:05 PM
You push through the gate which emits a final shriek. Once you are all a few yards past the gate, it slams shut behind you. Ravens fly through the ancient trees on either side of the road mimicking the cursed call.

After about 30 minutes Sandu catches the scent of death in the air coming from just off the left side of the road.

Lord Ruby34
2017-03-16, 10:19 AM
Marcia follows Sandu and the others, lost in thought about what kind of magic has lead the group to their current location. Every so often the rest of the group can make out a muttered "...improbable...", "...distortion of material reality...", or "...aggravatingly large gate..." until Sandu holds up the party because of his perceptions.

"Hmm? Did you detect something, Sandu?

Kwaj
2017-03-16, 03:36 PM
"Something dead nearby," Sandu says, strapping on his shield and hefting his spear. He steps off the trail."Hope not another ambush."

tieren
2017-03-16, 09:04 PM
The foul scent leads you to a human corpse half buried in the underbrush about 15 feet from the road. The young man appears to be a commoner. His muddy clothes are torn and raked with claw marks. Crows have been at the body, which is surrounded by paw prints.

The man has obviously been dead for several days. He holds a crumpled envelope in one hand.

Lord Ruby34
2017-03-17, 11:30 AM
Marcia leans down and plucks the envelope from the corpse's hand, opening it up and quickly letting her eyes scan the pages.

tieren
2017-03-17, 12:13 PM
As Marcia attempts to retrieve the envelope the corpse yanks it back and attempts to slam Marcia, missing and rolling a bit on the ground. The zombie then rises and attacks the party.

Lets not worry about initiative this time, it shouldn't survive a whole round, go ahead and just post what your character does, if it happens to survive I'll have it make an attack and we'll repeat the process.

Ramsus
2017-03-17, 12:48 PM
Beiro quickly moves over and whacks at the zombie with his axe.

if crit: [roll2]

Edit: Well I guess it wasn't the saddest possible crit. Still....

Lord Ruby34
2017-03-17, 01:08 PM
"Ah!" Marcia staggers back in surprise as the corpse lunges towards her, just barely dodging the flailing, rotting hand. Quick as a snake, her rapier is out and performing a rolling thrust toward the zombie's brain.

Damage (favored enemy): [roll1]
Crit Damage: [roll2]

tieren
2017-03-17, 01:46 PM
Beiro cleaves into the lunging corpse and critically wounds it [9 dmg], Marcia's rapier thrust fails to meet its mark.

Thematthew
2017-03-17, 04:00 PM
Andrei lunges at the zombie with his sword.

To hit: [roll0]
Crit: [roll2]

tieren
2017-03-17, 04:22 PM
Andrei's great sword slices the zombie, removing it's head from its shoulders. The shambling corpse drops to the ground dropping the envelope.

Kwaj
2017-03-17, 07:21 PM
"Foul shambler," Sandu swears, spitting on the newly-beheaded zombie. "Maybe now the poor wretch's soul will find its rest."

He kneels beside it and closes his eyes. "There may be more. Spare me a few moments."

Sandu is using his Eyes of the Grave feature, which takes one minute of uninterrupted contemplation, after which he can sense the presence, number, distance from and direction to any undead in a one-mile radius, as well as revealing the creature type of the undead with the highest CR.

Lord Ruby34
2017-03-17, 11:12 PM
"May your next life be one of peace, bereft of the pain that this one brought you."Marcia shoves her rapier into the corpse's brain to make sure it stays down as she bends down to pick the note up again.

tieren
2017-03-18, 07:34 AM
"Foul shambler," Sandu swears, spitting on the newly-beheaded zombie. "Maybe now the poor wretch's soul will find its rest."

He kneels beside it and closes his eyes. "There may be more. Spare me a few moments."

Sandu is using his Eyes of the Grave feature, which takes one minute of uninterrupted contemplation, after which he can sense the presence, number, distance from and direction to any undead in a one-mile radius, as well as revealing the creature type of the undead with the highest CR.

You've never sensed anything quite like this.

On the one hand, you are clear there are 3 ghouls about one half mile deeper into the forest away from the road.

On the other hand, everything around you seems to be undead, even the trees, even the ground itself, this valley seems to exist somewhere between life and death.

tieren
2017-03-18, 08:11 AM
"May your next life be one of peace, bereft of the pain that this one brought you."Marcia shoves her rapier into the corpse's brain to make sure it stays down as she bends down to pick the note up again.

On the front of the envelope are the words "Post on Gate", the envelope is sealed with wax containing the impression of a large letter "B". You open the envelope. ..

Just kidding

Hail thee of might and valor,

I, the Burgomaster of Barovia, send you honor with despair. My adopted daughter, the fair Irena Kolyana, has been these past nights bitten by a vampyr. For over four hundred years, this creature has drained the life blood of my people. How my dear Irena languishes and dies from an unholy wound caused by this vile beast. He has become too powerful to conquer.

So I say to you, give us up for dead and encircle this land with the symbols of good. Let holy men call upon their power that the devil may be contained within the walls of weeping Barovia. Leave our sorrows to our graves, and save the world from this evil fate of ours.

There is much wealth entrapped in this community. Return for your reward after we are all departed for a better life.

Kolyana Indirovich
Burgomaster

Lord Ruby34
2017-03-18, 03:20 PM
Marcia reads the letter aloud.

"It seems that an entire people have given up on life... how terrible must this vampire be?

Kwaj
2017-03-18, 03:30 PM
"Terrible enough for its vile nature to infect the land itself," Sandu growls. "The trees, the earth, the air itself...everything is wrong in this place. The whole land is filled with the corruption of undeath."

He stands, dusting off his knees. "And there are three ghouls out there, not half a mile off the road."

Ramsus
2017-03-18, 05:01 PM
"Normally I would suggest we slay the foul creatures before they can grown in greater numbers but if the land is as you say.... I am unsure." Beiro says and looks to the others to seek their opinions.

((C'mon guys, let's go fight some ghouls. It's xp. What. could. go. wrong. ? :smalltongue: ))

Lord Ruby34
2017-03-18, 09:17 PM
"I concur. If the fiends are not dealt with they will inevitably grow in both number and inevitably imperil any travelers less well equipped than ourselves." Marcia gestures to Sandu, "If you can tell me the direction I can track them down and we can fall upon them from a position of relative safety."

I'm rolling to find out about Marcia's in-character knowledge of ghouls. Undead are usually religion, so I'm going to roll that unless you want me to roll something else. Advantage for favored enemy: undead.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Kwaj
2017-03-18, 09:34 PM
"Half a mile further into the wood," Sandu says, pointing in the relevant direction. "Let us slay them and be done."

tieren
2017-03-19, 06:09 AM
"I concur. If the fiends are not dealt with they will inevitably grow in both number and inevitably imperil any travelers less well equipped than ourselves." Marcia gestures to Sandu, "If you can tell me the direction I can track them down and we can fall upon them from a position of relative safety."

I'm rolling to find out about Marcia's in-character knowledge of ghouls. Undead are usually religion, so I'm going to roll that unless you want me to roll something else. Advantage for favored enemy: undead.
[roll0]
[roll1]

You recall ghouls tend to roam in packs driven by an insatiable hunger for humanoid flesh. Their flesh doesn't rot like zombies, but their touch can cause paralysis, except in elves who are immune to that effect of ghouls.

Lord Ruby34
2017-03-19, 02:49 PM
"Ghouls are a more dangerous enemy than the zombie that we just destroyed, they posses basic sapience, a tendency towards group hunting efforts, and their touch can lead to muscle constrictions that result in paralysis against all but elves. Furthermore, they are driven by ravenous hunger, and will likely attempt to devour all life that they cross paths with."

Thematthew
2017-03-19, 11:39 PM
"Sounds like all the more reason to hunt them down before they can hurt people."

tieren
2017-03-20, 11:24 AM
The group stalks into the forest in the general direction of the ghouls as indicated by Sandu.

The going is not easy, there is no clear path in this direction and you are forcing your way through underbrush of dried dead bushes and vines and fallen limbs.

Marcia goes off on her own to find a better path, and returns to inform the group she has located the ghouls about 120 feet ahead of them.

The ghouls are not visible from where you are, but Marcia explains that over the low rise ahead of you [about 20 feet ahead of you], you would be able to see through the woods (heavy obscurement) to where the ghouls are looking over an embankment at something going on in a dry creek bed beyond. It wasn't clear to Marcia what was happening in the creek bed but she heard some snarling.

The ghouls hadn't noticed Marcia and looked as if they were trying to avoid being noticed by whatever they were looking at.

Ramsus
2017-03-20, 12:49 PM
Quietly, Beiro says to Marcia, "Perhaps you could go see what has their attention before we rush into an unknown situation? If they spot you, just run back here and behind us so that we can ambush them."

Lord Ruby34
2017-03-21, 12:38 AM
"I could not perceive anything when I was over the hill before, but perhaps I could suggest an alternate solution. Zap! and I could head to the top of the hill and engage the ghouls from range. When they close the three of you could surprise them by charging over the hill and overcoming them in melee."

cobaltstarfire
2017-03-21, 10:47 AM
Zap! whistles a low affirmative to Marcia, and awaits further action.

Kwaj
2017-03-21, 12:44 PM
"I shall wait nearby," Sandu says, popping his shoulder. "It would be best for the ghouls to have another foe to distract them while you retreat."

Lord Ruby34
2017-03-23, 02:40 PM
Marcia turns to Zap! and grins at her. "Ready to light some Ghouls on fire?" Then she charges up the hill, aiming down the sights of her Thunder Cannon and taking aim at the head of the nearest ghoul and letting lose a shot through the trees before reloading her firearm.

Move up the hill
Attack (Sharpshooter -5), ignoring 3/4s cover: [roll0]
Advantage (Ghouls haven't acted in our combat yet): [roll1]
Damage (+10 SS, +2 Favored Enemy): [roll2]
Crit: [roll3]
Bonus: Reload

Marcia puts her finger to her lips and gestures for Zap! to follow her up the hill as she starts to stalk up it.

Stealth: [roll4]

tieren
2017-03-23, 02:50 PM
Marcia climbs the rise and fires her Thunder Cannon through the dense foliage towards the distracted ghouls. The shot misses its mark and is absorbed by the trunk of an old pine tree.

The sound of the blast startles the ghouls who snap their heads in her general direction but appear too stunned to act yet. In fact the entire forest seems to pause for a moment of silence in the after effects of the blast.

[it is Andrei's turn]

Thematthew
2017-03-23, 04:37 PM
Andrei climbs up the hill and begins muttering words of arcane power before unleashing a blast of energy at the nearest ghoul.

Cast Eldritch blast: [roll0]
Damage:[roll1]
Crit:[roll2]

tieren
2017-03-23, 06:09 PM
Andrei also climbs up the low rise and fires a blast of Eldritch energy through the dense foliage. The blast strikes a low hanging limb instead of the ghoul.

fyi, the reason a 12 would have hit for Marcia but not you is because her sharpshooter feat let's her disregard the effects of partial cover.

(It is Sandu 's turn)

Kwaj
2017-03-23, 06:14 PM
Sandu rushes up the rise, ready to defend his friends against the ghouls.

Ramsus
2017-03-23, 08:07 PM
Beiro gets closer at well, but tries to keep in cover as well as he can so that he can catch the ghouls off-guard.

cobaltstarfire
2017-03-24, 10:01 AM
Yes, Fire fire! Zap! cackles, and follows Marcia up the ridge. Zap! conjures up a small ball of fire and hurls it at the nearest ghoul.

(keep in mind that if this spell misses it will light whatever it hits on fire....)

To hit [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
if crit [roll2]

tieren
2017-03-24, 01:34 PM
Zap! also climbs the rise moving forward with the party and launches a firebolt at ghoul3 through the underbrush, which luckily strikes true [4 dmg] and does not start a forest fire.

[It is now Marcia's turn, ghouls are no longer surprised]

You hear a howl go up from the area of the dry creekbed which you still do not have line of sight down into.

Lord Ruby34
2017-03-24, 01:51 PM
Marcia takes aim again, trying to put a ghoul's head squarely in her sights. She fires and reloads before she even sees if her shot hits its mark.

We're shooting at a ghoul that it after Marcia in the initiative order, preferably the one Zap! wounded, using sharpshooter.
Advantage (Natural Explorer): [roll1]
Critical Damage: [roll3]

Bonus action: Reload

tieren
2017-03-24, 02:05 PM
Marcia fires another wild shot into the underbrush.

Ghoul1 screams a nightmare screech and runs towards the party [dash action]. Ghoul1 is now only 30 feet away from the party directly forward downslope from the rise, it no longer benefits from partial cover.

[it is Andrei's turn]

Thematthew
2017-03-24, 08:51 PM
Andrei curses the ghoul as it advances while charging to meet it with his sword.
Bonus: Hexblade curse on #1
Attack on #1: [roll0]
smite: [roll2]
Crit (19 or 20): [roll3] [roll4]

tieren
2017-03-25, 06:07 AM
Andrei charges down the slope, raising his great sword and cursing the undead beast, he swings down with a mighty blow channeling his pact magic into the swing, and cleaves the beast in twain, from the ghoul's left shoulder to right hip he is instantly cut into two separate, and now inanimate halves. (58 dmg)

He then turns his focus and shifts his hex to the next ghoul. (You also heal for Warlock level + Cha mod).

Ghoul2 (now cursed) says something you can't hear to ghoul 3 and then carefully moves up 30 feet from the creek bed (leaving him 30 feet from Andrei and 60 feet from rest of the group.

(It is Sandu's turn)

Kwaj
2017-03-25, 08:28 AM
"Kelemvor," Sandu prays under his breath, "We seek your aid in sending these mockeries of your holy mysteries to their final judgment. Let us strike true in your service."

I'm casting bless on Zap!, Marcia, and Beiro (sorry Andrei; it only lets me target 3 people and I think you may be outside the 30' range). It's a Concentration spell, so for one minute/ten rounds the three of you get to add 1d4 to an attack roll or save.

Ramsus
2017-03-25, 12:59 PM
Beiro moves forward and when in range, hurls a javelin at one of the ghouls.

I'm assuming up to the attack he was still hidden and gets advantage on the attack since nothing was declare otherwise. But if this isn't the case, just ignore the advantage roll.

Edit: Forgot to declare he was targeting ghoul 3, though given those rolls I don't think it matters. Also what's with those rolls? Who am I? Andrei? :smalltongue:

Attack: [roll0] + [roll1]
advantage: [roll2] + [roll3]
damage: [roll4]
if crit: [roll5]

tieren
2017-03-25, 02:57 PM
Beiro emerges from hiding, advances to Andrei's location and tosses a javelin at ghoul3 but it misses it's mark.

You then see 2 large dire wolves run up out of the creek bed. They pause a moment to growl at the ghouls, but then they spot Beiro and Andrei and eye them hungrily. Both large beasts dash past the ghouls and towards the party. They end up side by side 15 feet in front of Andrei and Beiro, and about 10 feet in front of Ghoul2.

(It is Zap!'s turn)

cobaltstarfire
2017-03-26, 10:50 AM
Zap! Pulls out her wand and points it sharply the wolves and ghoul while making bell noises.

Save DC 12 (Take half if successful save)
Damage [roll0]

After blasting her opponents with sound, she hunkers down and watches warily.

(she perching basically, her feet are on the ground but her legs are curled up against her chest, she's just trying to make herself smaller).

tieren
2017-03-26, 04:56 PM
Zap!'s spell releases a wave of concussive force which batters Ghoul2 and the two direwoves [Ghoul2 7 dmg; Direwolf1 13 dmg; direwolf2 7 dmg]

Ghoul3 sprints off to the west disappearing from view behind a stand of pine trees.

[It is Marcia's turn]

Lord Ruby34
2017-03-26, 10:18 PM
Marcia grimaces at the two missed shots and fires at another ghoul before fading back behind the ridge and reloading.

Attacking the ghoul Zap! wounded.
Hit: [roll0]
Move back about ten feet
Reload

tieren
2017-03-27, 07:45 AM
Marcia sinks a shot soundly into Ghoul2's chest [9 dmg] then she moves back down the slope to reload.

[It is Andrei's turn]

[as a reminder your curse is on ghoul2 who is 30 feet in front of you, but there are two direwolves 15 feet in front of you, you could reach the ghoul without dashing, but only by risking an attack of opportunity from one of the direwolves]

Thematthew
2017-03-27, 02:07 PM
Andrei charges the ghoul, regardless of his own safety.

save vs knockdown if necessary: [roll0]
if knocked down: stand up with remaining movement, attack wolf
if not knocked down: continue towards ghoul
attack: [roll1]
if hit wolf, smite: [roll3]
if crit (19-20 against ghoul): [roll4](+[roll5] for smite if against dire wolf.)

tieren
2017-03-27, 08:34 PM
Andrei attempts to rush past the dire wolves to attack the ghoul he cursed, but the nearest beast bites him [10 dmg] and drags him to the ground. Andrei is able to regain his feet and take a swing at the wolf but the blow is unable to connect.

Ghoul2 moves up and attempt to claw Andrei while he is focused on the Dire wolf.

ghoul2 claw vs Andrei [roll0]

tieren
2017-03-27, 08:37 PM
The ghoul's claws dig into Andrei [7 dmg].

Andrei must make DC10 Con saving throw or be paralyzed for one minute

It is Sandu's turn.

Kwaj
2017-03-28, 05:30 PM
Sandu moves to stab the nearest ghoul.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Ramsus
2017-03-28, 07:07 PM
Beiro switches to his battleaxe and launches himself into the fray, attacking the wolves.

Beiro moves to be adjacent to at least one of the wolves. Both if he can managed, so that they would provoke opportunity attacks from him if they go after the others.

Bonus action to use Fighting Spirit. (Advantage and resistance until the end of his next turn.)

Using Action Surge to gain an extra action this turn.

Attack 1 vs Dire Wolf 1: [roll0] +1 = 17
advantage: [roll1] +2 = 10

Attack 2 vs Dire Wolf 1: [roll4] +1 = 19
advantage: [roll5] +3 = 9
damage: [roll6]
if crit: [roll7]

tieren
2017-03-29, 06:58 AM
Hold on, Sandu was too far away to take the action he described. Also Beiro you are under the effect of his bless spell and can add 1d4 to all your attack rolls.

I can switch the order and let Beiro keep those attacks (both hit), but I need to know what Sandu is doing.

Kwaj
2017-03-29, 08:19 AM
My mistake; I've been sick the last few days so everything is a little fuzzy. Instead Sandu is going to stay near Zap! And Marcia and cast Sacred Flame on the nearest ghoul.

tieren
2017-03-29, 08:35 AM
Beiro rushes forward and lays into the first dire wolf with his axe [19 dmg], badly wounding it (but not killing it).

At about the same time Sandu casts his sacred flame at the ghoul behind Andrei...

Dex sav [roll0]
dmg [roll1]

tieren
2017-03-29, 08:40 AM
The ghoul just barely dodges the blast of sacred energy.

[It is Zap!'s turn]

cobaltstarfire
2017-03-29, 11:42 AM
Zap stays hunkered down and aims a fire bolt at the same ghoul as Sandu did.

to hit: [roll0]
if critical: [roll2]

tieren
2017-03-29, 12:39 PM
Zap! hits ghoul2 with a firebolt [4 dmg]. The ghoul reels back a step and appears to be close to falling.

Ghoul3 comes running out of some underbrush on the south side of the rise, it appears he was trying to flank the group but he did not expect Marcia to have retreated there to reload. He rushes towards Marcia but is unable to completely close the distance he ends up 20 feet west of Marcia.

Direwolf 1 is badly wounded from Beiro's attacks and tries to flee. Beiro gets an Attack of Opportunity while it breaks away to run back towards the creekbed.

Direwolf 2 tries to bite Andrei again...

Direwolf 1 bite v. Andrei (adv, pack tactics) [roll0] [roll1]

tieren
2017-03-29, 12:40 PM
Andrei is bitten again [10 dmg] and falls unconscious to the ground.

[after Beiro's AoO it is Marcia's turn]

Lord Ruby34
2017-03-29, 01:06 PM
"A rather callus plan, to leave your packmate alone to die. Marcia says, "You should be ashamed" and fires directly at the ghoul's skull.

Action: Sharpshooter: [roll0]
Damage:[roll1]

If the ghoul dies Marcia is going to stay behind the ridge and reload. If it doesn't she's still going to stay behind the ridge and reload, but move twenty feet back, away from the ghoul.

Ramsus
2017-03-29, 01:12 PM
Attack: [roll0] + [roll1] = 12
advantage: [roll2] + [roll3] = 12
damage: [roll4]
if crit: [roll5]

tieren
2017-03-29, 03:29 PM
Beiro's attack of opportunity [with advantage and bless] missed the fleeing dire wolf, who escaped into the creek bed and out of view.

Marcia, startled by the sudden appearance of ghoul3, accidentally discharges her thunder cannon before she is able to aim it, missing wildly, she then backs up 20 feet to the east and reloads.

[andrei fails his first death save]

Ghoul2 steps over Andrei to attack Beiro with his claws...

tieren
2017-03-29, 03:37 PM
The ghoul hits Beiro with its claws [7dmg].

Beiro must succeed on DC 10 Con sav or be paralyzed

[it is Sandu's turn]

Kwaj
2017-03-29, 03:58 PM
"My Lord, take the ghoul instead!" Sandu growls. Andrei's prone form shines with sudden spectral light, so bright that the nearest ghoul hisses and shields its eyes.

I'm casting healing word on Andrei as a first-level spell for 7 HP. Since it's a bonus action I'm also casting sacred flame again as a standard action, once again on the ghoul nearest Anredi. I just decided to combine the two castings for flavor; mechanically they're two separate Actions.

tieren
2017-03-29, 09:15 PM
Unfortunately the ghoul is once again able to avoid taking damage from the sacred flame.

[it is beiro's turn]

Ramsus
2017-03-29, 10:00 PM
Beiro swings around, striking at the other wolf.

fighting spirit wears off.

tieren
2017-03-29, 10:03 PM
Beiro slices into the dire wolf's flank (11 dmg).

It is Zaps turn

cobaltstarfire
2017-03-30, 10:04 AM
Zap! jumps up startled by the ghoul that burst from the bushes, and moves away from it. While doing so she points her wand at the remaining dire wolf and whistles to shoot a mote of flame at it.

To hit [roll0]
Bless [roll1]
Damage [roll2]
Crit [roll3]

tieren
2017-03-30, 01:34 PM
Zap!'s firebolt singes direwolf2 [3 dmg], which growls angrily and lunges at Beiro...

Direwolf bite v. Beiro (adv, pack tactics) [roll0] [roll1]

tieren
2017-03-30, 01:38 PM
The direwolf misses Beiro.

Ghoul3 rushes up the back of the rise and attacks Sandu with his claws...

ghoul3 claw v. Sandu [roll0]

tieren
2017-03-30, 01:39 PM
Ghoul3's attack misses Sandu.

[it is Marcia's turn]

Lord Ruby34
2017-03-30, 02:11 PM
Marcia fires at the ghoul again, looking increasingly frustrated by the inaccuracy of her shots.

Hit:[roll1d20[/roll]
Bless:[roll0]

Marcia will attempt to move so that she is more than 30 ft away from all enemies and then reload.

Lord Ruby34
2017-03-30, 02:13 PM
Hit: [roll0]

Right, let's see if I can hit the double digits.

tieren
2017-03-30, 03:14 PM
Marcia's shot sinks into the back of ghoul3's head, dropping it into a lifeless heap at the top of the rise.

[It is Andrei's turn]

konzokuns
2017-03-30, 03:30 PM
[5e] Curse of Strahd - UA playtest IC SKT

Thematthew
2017-03-30, 04:28 PM
Andrei rises and swings at the remaining ghoul, then turns his attention to the direwolf once the ghoul falls.

Attack Ghoul: [roll0]
crit: [roll2]
If ghoul falls transfer hex to direwolf, regardless of which the curse is on use burning hex: 3 damage

tieren
2017-03-30, 05:48 PM
Andrei strikes critically again, decapitating the dread ghoul. He then receives a surge of healing from felling the target of his curse, then transfers the curse to the dire wolf and activating his Eldritch invocation to burn the beast (3 dmg).

It is Sandu's turn

Kwaj
2017-03-31, 02:57 PM
Sandu is going to ready an action to render healing to the next ally to take damage. (Do I need to specify whether that's cure wounds or healing word, or can I just "ready healing" and leave it at that?)

Ramsus
2017-03-31, 04:21 PM
Beiro hacks again at the lone wolf.

Bonus action for fighting spirit.

Attack: [roll0] + 1 = 12
advantage: [roll1] + 3 = 14

((I'd like to suggest Sandu not heal Beiro if he's the next to take damage as Beiro has taken less than will probably be healing using Second Wind and will still probably heal most of it with that feature even if the dire wolf attacks him this turn. Andrei could probably use the healing a lot more.))

tieren
2017-03-31, 04:37 PM
Sandu is going to ready an action to render healing to the next ally to take damage. (Do I need to specify whether that's cure wounds or healing word, or can I just "ready healing" and leave it at that?)

When using ready action to cast a spell do specify the spell. In a different circumstance it would be way to vague to say "I ready to cast a spell at whatever comes through the door". Here I'll assume it's healing word since you are a fair distance from some of the party.

Beiro's attack missed, it is Zaps turn.

cobaltstarfire
2017-04-01, 09:55 AM
Zap! fire bolts the nearest enemy.

to hit 1d20d+4
bless [roll0]
damage[roll1]
crit [roll2]

tieren
2017-04-01, 08:09 PM
Zap! fire bolts the nearest enemy.

to hit 1d20d+4
bless [roll0]
damage[roll1]
crit [roll2]

Redo the to hit roll

tieren
2017-04-02, 07:09 AM
Zap!'s firebolt finishes off the dire wolf. All the ghouls are down and the other dire wolf ran away.

You are in the woods about 1/2 mile north of the road that was heading towards the west when you left it.

Lord Ruby34
2017-04-02, 09:55 PM
Marcia examines her thundercannon, her eyes running over the stock and trigger mechanism. "...unlikely to be user error...weight distribution...no...check the firing pin.. Marcia sits down next to the ghoul she killed and starts pulling out her tools, eyes dancing over her gun.

Ramsus
2017-04-03, 12:52 AM
Beiro takes a seat on a large rock nearby and contemplates the inherent feeling that something is off, even in the very earth and air.

Second Wind: [roll0]

Thematthew
2017-04-03, 06:47 AM
Andrei breathes a heavy sigh as he relaxes against a nearby tree. "That was an exciting fight, and became an even more exciting triumph." He follows up his statement with a smug grin.
Assuming I get the six hp from the death of the dire wolf I feel that the HD expenditure would be a waste. If not I'll spend one to heal: [roll0]

tieren
2017-04-03, 07:50 AM
Andrei breathes a heavy sigh as he relaxes against a nearby tree. "That was an exciting fight, and became an even more exciting triumph." He follows up his statement with a smug grin.
Assuming I get the six hp from the death of the dire wolf I feel that the HD expenditure would be a waste. If not I'll spend one to heal: [roll0]

[You do get the healing, you don't have to deliver the killing blow yourself for that effect]

While you take a rest to tend to your wounds and equipment you all notice the forest is unusually silent. It is possible the fighting scared off the typical woodland creatures, but the sensation is eerie still.

cobaltstarfire
2017-04-03, 10:40 AM
Zap! hobbles over to Marcia, kneels nearby and watches curiously while she tinkers with her gun.

Kwaj
2017-04-04, 06:15 PM
"We should get back on the road," Sandu says, glancing warily at the trees. "This wood is an ill-omened place."

Ramsus
2017-04-04, 06:47 PM
After the rest, Beiro goes to check if there was anything else going on down by the creek bed aside from ghouls and wolves.

tieren
2017-04-04, 08:48 PM
After the rest, Beiro goes to check if there was anything else going on down by the creek bed aside from ghouls and wolves.

In the dry creek bed you find the fresh carcass of a moose, it looks to have been killed and partly consumed by the dire wolves.

Lord Ruby34
2017-04-04, 10:09 PM
Marcia spends the time dissembling and reassembling her gun, talking softly to Zap! about how it works and the purpose of each piece. By the time she's finished Beiro has already checked the creek bed.

Agreed. As foreboding as those gates are they offer the only answer to our sudden transposition into this place.

Ramsus
2017-04-04, 10:39 PM
Beiro rejoins the others and suggests, "Perhaps we should just go back to the path we were on earlier? It would be very easy for us to get lost out here."

tieren
2017-04-05, 09:10 AM
The party heads back the way they came towards the road.

The route you took here did not really follow a path, you broke your own trail through the underbrush as you went. it is not difficult to follow your way back.

You return to the road and continue in your original direction of travel to the west.

After about 20-30 minutes of additional travel you all hear the sounds of music coming up the trail from behind you. A melancholy tune on fiddle and accordion.

Looking back you see a small caravan of brightly colored wagons coming along in your same direction of travel. They must have also come through the gates. They are currently about a half mile behind you.

Lord Ruby34
2017-04-05, 09:29 PM
"Travelers and musicians. I believe that we should wait for them, their the first people we've met who might be familiar with the area."

Thematthew
2017-04-06, 01:43 AM
"Sounds as decent of a plan as any." Andrei says, looking back to see if he can get a better view of them.

Ramsus
2017-04-06, 02:32 AM
Beiro nods in agreement.

tieren
2017-04-06, 03:35 PM
You take a moment to rest by the side of the road as the caravan makes its way towards you. You see there are 4 wagons all pulled by teams of oxen. 3 of the wagons have permanent wooden covers making them look more like tiny houses on wheels. The fourth wagon is open and full of bundles of some sort which are covered by a large canvas tarp.

Each wagon has a driver who is accompanied by an assistant. the assistants each have crossbows laying across their laps. In addition to the wagons you see about a half dozen other humans walking besides the wagons, playing instruments, talking, or a couple of children chasing a pair of mastiffs.

When the caravan is about 100 feet from you the lead driver raises his hand and the group comes to a stop. A pair of men emerge from inside the first wagon through a door in the side and walk about 20 feet ahead of the group and look at you quizzically.

Kwaj
2017-04-06, 09:09 PM
"Hail, friends," Sandu says, walking forward with hands raised palm out. "We seem to have lost our way and stumbled into this valley by mistake. What is the name of this land and who is its lord?"

tieren
2017-04-07, 08:02 AM
Be ye friends?

Travelers on this road are rare and dangers many. We may appear as simple tinkers and traders, but know the Vishanti are not easy prey for highwaymen.

As the leader speaks, 3 more crossbow men emerge from wagons and move up behind the two who first approached.

...and I have not known good men to travel in the company of the cursebringers.

The man looks at Zap!, then spits on the ground and makes a gesture with his right hand as if to ward off evil.

The wereravens are known to us and not trusted.

Ramsus
2017-04-07, 12:11 PM
Beiro looks at Zap and looks at the distrusting people and then picks Zap up in one arm and pats his head and says, "Zap is not a were-anything. He is a Kenku. And a good friend and warrior in the fight against unnatural evils." The words are said in the same tone as if someone just accused your intelligent well-trained dog of possibly being an untrained violent beast that bites people and chases the mailman.

Lord Ruby34
2017-04-07, 10:25 PM
Marcia rolls her eyes. "The crossbows are highly unnecessary. If we were highwaymen the ambush would be better planned than standing out in the middle of the road and greeting you openly. For example, we would have taken the corpses of the ghouls we killed and placed them in the middle of the road, while Sandu pretended to be wounded to draw you out of you wagons and defensive positions while preparing spells and weapons to assault you once you arrived in position before using your own wagons as cover. Or perhaps another plan, but I thought of that one in less than two seconds. Standing out in the road is what individuals who wish to speak to you cordially do, as we have done and you have not." Marcia says, her tone sounding like a bored professor lecturing misbehaving students.

tieren
2017-04-08, 09:18 PM
Marcia rolls her eyes. "The crossbows are highly unnecessary. If we were highwaymen the ambush would be better planned than standing out in the middle of the road and greeting you openly. For example, we would have taken the corpses of the ghouls we killed and placed them in the middle of the road, while Sandu pretended to be wounded to draw you out of you wagons and defensive positions while preparing spells and weapons to assault you once you arrived in position before using your own wagons as cover. Or perhaps another plan, but I thought of that one in less than two seconds. Standing out in the road is what individuals who wish to speak to you cordially do, as we have done and you have not." Marcia says, her tone sounding like a bored professor lecturing misbehaving students.

The leader rolls his eyes at Beiro's words and addresses Marcia.

"We are cautious because we know where we are and the dangers of this realm, can you say the same? We have come to speak with you, but many a traveler has fallen prey to a false appearance, caution is wise."

"I am Anton, my friend here is Uri, we are in charge of the safety of this company."

While Anton is speaking a young woman emerges from the second wagon and runs up to Uri and whispers something in his ear then jogs back to the wagon.

Uri then says, "stand easy Anton, Madame Eva has seen them in a vision, they are the new toys of the Devil Strahd."

A wave of relief washes over Anton's features and he smiles back to the group. "My apologies you poor bastards, you sincerely have my sympathies."

Two of the crossbow men return to their wagons, and the one remaining seems much more relaxed.

Lord Ruby34
2017-04-10, 12:19 AM
A million thoughts run through Marcia's mind, but are summed up by a single word and a tilt of her head, "Explain?"

tieren
2017-04-10, 08:00 AM
Anton turns to Sandu, You asked the name of this land and the name of its Lord? You are in Barovia. That is the name of the valley and the name of the village this road is leading you towards. The village lies directly below castle Ravenloft where lies the lord of this land,
the Devil Strahd, a vampire of considerable age and power.

This entire land and everyone and everything in it is cursed,
including you. Strahd has long since grown bored with the diversions available here and occasionally brings new heros,
like yourselves into Barovia to challenge and entertain him.

There are some who say he himself seeks release of the curse through his own death but has been unable to find anyone worthy to the deed.

If you ever hope to leave this land you will need to grow powerful, find ancient knowledge, enchanted weapons, and even allies to confront and destroy the vampire lord. Madame Eva will be able to divine more to help you on your quest, but first we much reach our camp by the Tser pool down in the valley so she can prepare for such a ritual. We can accompany you as far as the village for now if you like.

Ramsus
2017-04-10, 11:46 AM
Beiro nods, feeling this arrangement is acceptable. He's so unhappy about this being cursed thing he forgets he's holding Zap and just starts walking towards the village still holding them.

tieren
2017-04-11, 12:18 PM
http://shaneplays.com/wp-content/gallery/dd-curse-of-strahd/dd_curse_of_strahd_village_of_barovia_map.JPG

The Vishanti travel with you into the village of Barovia. It is a drab dour looking town full of drab dour looking people. Most don't even seem to notice the caravan's passing although it is the only thing using the streets, no other carts or wagons or horses are seen.

Anton directs you to a large building in the center of town he tells you is an inn owned by some of their "cousins" who will let you some rooms.

It is now almost evening so you enter the inn, meet the owners and get some rooms for the night.

Tomorrow you will begin to explore Barovia.
Tonight level all of your characters to Level 4.

Lord Ruby34
2017-04-11, 11:12 PM
Before the caravan leaves Marcia spends time asking the members of the Caravan about Strahd and Barovia, hoping to supplement the gaps in her own knowledge.

Marcia's History Roll about Barovia:[roll0]

tieren
2017-04-12, 09:22 AM
Before the caravan leaves Marcia spends time asking the members of the Caravan about Strahd and Barovia, hoping to supplement the gaps in her own knowledge.

Marcia's History Roll about Barovia:[roll0]

I am going to have them tell you the common knowledge history of Barovia and how it and strahd came to be cursed (DC10 knowledge), but its kind of lengthy and I want to copy it more or less from the book so will put up tonight.

tieren
2017-04-12, 06:34 PM
In life, Strahd von Zarovich was a count, a prince, a soldier, and a conqueror. After the death of his father, King Barov, Strahd waged long bloody wars against his family's enemies. He and his army cornered the last of these enemies in a remote mountain valley before slaying them all. Strahd named the valley Barovia, after his deceased father, and was so struck by the scenic beauty that he decided to settle there.

Queen Ravens via lamented the death of Barov and was fearful of Strahd. War had made him cold and arrogant. She kept her younger son, Sergei, away from the battlefield. Strahd envied the love and attention his mother visited upon his brother, so in Barovia he remained. Peace made Strahd restless, and he began to feel like his best years were behind him. Unwilling to go the way of his father, Strahd studied magic and forged a pact with the Dark Powers of the Shadowfell in return for the promise of immortality.

Strahd scoured his conquered lands for wizards and artisans, brought them to the valley of Barovia, and commanded them to raise a castle to rival the magnificent fortresses of his ancestral homeland. Strahd named the castle Ravenloft, after his mother, to demonstrate his love for her. When it was completed he commanded his mother and brother to come to Barovia and stay with him. Sergei eventually took up residence at Ravenloft, but Ravens via passed away while traveling to her namesake. In sorrowful disappointment Strahd sealed his mother's body in a crypt beneath the castle.

Strahd's attention soon turned to Tatyana, a young Barovian woman of fine lineage and remarkable beauty. Strahd believed her to be a worthy bride, and he lavished Tatyana with gifts and attention. Despite Strahd's efforts she instead fell in love with the younger, warmer Sergei. Strahd's pride prevented him from standing in the way of the young couples love, until the day of Sergei and Tatyana's wedding, when Strahd gazed into a mirror and realized he had been a fool. Strahd murdered Sergei and drank his blood, sealing the evil pact between Strahd and the Dark Powers. He then chased Sergei's bride to be through the gardens, determined to make her accept and love him. Tatyana hurled herself off a castle balcony to escape Strahd's pursuit, plunging to her death. Treacherous castle guards, seizing the opportunity to rid the world of Strahd forever, shot their master with arrows.

But Strahd did not die. The Dark Powers honored the pact they made. The sky went black as Strahd turned on the guards, his eyes blazing red. He had become a vampire.

After slaughtering the guards, Strahd saw the faces of his mother and father in the thunder clouds looking down and judging him. He had destroyed the family bloodline and doomed all of Barovia. The castle and the valley were spirited away; for Strahd and his people there would be no escape.

Ramsus
2017-04-12, 10:55 PM
After waking and having a brief breakfast Beiro walks around the town to see what it's like and what services the people have to offer. In particular he's keeping an eye out for a set of plate armor and an opportunity to earn it, though he doubt even if he and his companions pooled their money they couldn't afford to simply purchase such armor.

tieren
2017-04-13, 09:24 AM
After waking and having a brief breakfast Beiro walks around the town to see what it's like and what services the people have to offer. In particular he's keeping an eye out for a set of plate armor and an opportunity to earn it, though he doubt even if he and his companions pooled their money they couldn't afford to simply purchase such armor.

As you wander town you are struck by what a sad place it is. the buildings and the few people you see on the streets all seem drab and grey, even a little crooked as if a heavy gloom were literally pressing down on them.

Many buildings are boarded up and the walls of many buildings bear strange marks that look suspiciously like claw marks.

With the exception of "Bildrath's Mercantile" and the "Blood of the Vine Tavern" all the shops in the village are permanently closed and the unoccupied shops have been looted of anything valuable.

[Bildrath's sells only the items on the Adventuring Gear table on page 150 of the PHB, but only those items listed as costing under 25 gp and he sells them at ten times the price listed (such as a bulls eye lantern for 100 gp)]

Ramsus
2017-04-13, 11:36 AM
After his walk about town Beiro will return to the others and shakes his head sadly if they look in his direction. He goes to talk to the traveling group and see if they have any goods, mainly out of curiosity at this point.

tieren
2017-04-13, 12:33 PM
The Vishanti pushed through after dropping you off last night to make their camp by the Tser pool, they are no longer in town.

By your inquiries you learn that the Vishanti are the only ones able to leave Barovia and the only ones able to bring goods in, so what few shops exist depend on them for additional wares.

Lord Ruby34
2017-04-13, 09:39 PM
Marcia wanders the town, asking highly technical questions about the nature of the curse that afflicts Barovia and the specifications for breaking it, or at least the name of who might be able to answer her questions.

cobaltstarfire
2017-04-13, 10:12 PM
Zap! spends her time wandering aimlessly looking for scrap metal to play with. In particular if she finds any she'll be fusing it all together with shocking grasp, and then probably melting it until the trace elements all boil away in frustration when none of them come out looking pretty, interesting, or even shiny unless she copies something she's seen before.

If she can't find any metal she'll eventually return to the inn and simply sulk.

tieren
2017-04-24, 09:29 AM
Marcia wanders the town, asking highly technical questions about the nature of the curse that afflicts Barovia and the specifications for breaking it, or at least the name of who might be able to answer her questions.

Your technical questions are met with only blank stares. A few people spit on the ground make a hand gesture and damn the wereravens. A very few people suggest speaking with Madam Eva of the Vishanti, but suggest being very wary of your coin purse in their camp. One or two people mention they have no idea but you could try asking the Burgomaster.

tieren
2017-04-24, 09:30 AM
Zap! spends her time wandering aimlessly looking for scrap metal to play with. In particular if she finds any she'll be fusing it all together with shocking grasp, and then probably melting it until the trace elements all boil away in frustration when none of them come out looking pretty, interesting, or even shiny unless she copies something she's seen before.

If she can't find any metal she'll eventually return to the inn and simply sulk.

You notice as you wander about scavenging bits of metal that the towns people give you a wide berth, even crossing streets to avoid you. Several times you notice people spitting on the ground and gesturing in your direction. No one comes even close to directly confronting you though.

tieren
2017-04-24, 09:34 AM
By dinner time you have all returned to the inn. There you find a young man wearing what were once the fine clothes of a nobleman, though they now appear faded and worn with time. He has a desperate look in his eyes and has made no effort to hide the fact that he has been asking after and looking for you.

The owners gesture you towards the gentleman informing you he has been seeking you.

Ramsus
2017-04-24, 12:24 PM
Beiro will walk up and ask, "Can we help you sir?"

tieren
2017-04-24, 10:02 PM
"My name is Ismark, my late father was the Burgomaster of this village. I need your help. Strahd's minions have attacked our home the last several nights. I need your help to get my sister to safety."