PDA

View Full Version : Help with the Ranger

Sedrik-the-Blue
2017-02-27, 04:44 PM
My playgroup is currently setting up a campaign using a tier level adjustment system, where tier 2+ classes can be level adjusted races without including level adjustment. (Ex. Tier 2 gets free +1 level adjustment, tier 3 gets free +2 level adjustment, and so forth) We are starting at level 3 and cannot have a level adjustment that exceeds our free level adjustment and no more than 2 racial HD (not free). Templates can be used for the free level adjustment. Also, I could have multiple templates and/or a race with level adjustment.

I am looking at being a half-fey [fiend folio] changeling [eberron campaign setting] (or half-fey human) wildshaping ranger. The idea is to enter Master of Many Forms and maximize as much as possible without detracting from the fun of the game. I definitely want the Wildshape but I am unsure how best to proceed. I am open to all Wilshape options. I want the one that will be most fun to play.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Psionics will not be allowed in this campaign, so...yeah

Darrin
2017-02-27, 06:01 PM
Any ideas?

Iron Chef did a Master of Many Forms (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21272856&postcount=197) round, so if you're looking for ideas, I'd start there.

The further you get into MoMF, the easier it is to break the game. How high is your (or your group's) tolerance for cheese?

Sedrik-the-Blue
2017-02-27, 06:09 PM
The further you get into MoMF, the easier it is to break the game. How high is your (or your group's) tolerance for cheese?

As long as I don't disrupt fun and gameplay. They would be mostly fine with me playing just about anything.

Also, I forgot to mention that I am the only one playing better than tier 5.

We have a pixie rogue, half-fiend halfling fighter, half-celestial human healer, and an aasimar genasi githzerai monk.

And I will check the Iron Chef's thread. Thanks.

Twurps
2017-02-27, 06:38 PM
For me, the fun of wildshaping is in the versatility. For this you want to maximize the number of forms you take, but most importantly gain acces to (ex) abilities which MoMF does for you at lvl7, and (su) abilities, which you have to spend some feats/dips on.

For feats:
obligatory reference to aberration wild shape, for cryohydra form. too cheesy for me, but YMMV
other fun form enhancers include:
-'exalted wild shape' (BoeD) for celestial versions of animals, and some extra forms, most notably a blink dog. (including (su) abilities!)
-'Dragon wild shape' (draconomicon) for dragons obviously. you get that at MoMF10 anyway, but this way you can get it sooner, and again with (su) abilities.

Speaking of (su) abilities:
-Assume supernatural form (Savage Species) will let you assume a supernatural ability of your choice. I think RAW limits this to 1 ability, so it's not very flexible. I've heard others interpret this different however, so YMMV.
-a 1 level dip in a psionic class (psion for the bonus feat: take practiced manifester for manifester level 5) can qualify you for 'metamorphic transfer' (XpH) so you can use all supernatural abilities of all forms you take.

Other than that: Ranger has a very wide range of ACF's. since your spellcasting is going to be next to nothing, I'd look into trading that away.
On my wildshaping ranger, I traded my animal companion of an 'urban companion (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a)' which is more like a beefed up familiar. Part of my reason was that this gives you alertness, which my DM rules qualifies me for MoMF, I know many DM's rule this differently, so again YMMV.

Now as Darrin mentioned, it is easy to break a lower op game with a MoMF. So I'll conclude with a fun 'tone it down' tip.
MoMF's is one of the few builds that isn't too crippled by a vow of poverty, because of the great flexibility you get in forms and abilities. It also saves you the hassle of getting your gear to work in wildshape form. If you've ever wanted to try it out, now could be the time. There are a few exalted feats to enhance your build. Have a look at: Exalted companion, exalted wild shape, sanctify natural attack, and of course: nimph's kiss.

Finally: have a handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?472737-Updated-Master-of-Many-Forms-Bible-official-wild-shape-rules-(recovered)). It's a really good handbook both for how wildshaping works and to find interesting forms.

edit: ninja'd by OP's second post: definitely no aberration wild shape for you.. maybe be carefull with war trolls, dinosaurs and the like too.

Sedrik-the-Blue
2017-02-28, 08:15 AM
Thank you, twurps, for your help. I just want to be able to make something of my character.
The pixie rogue won't stop going on about his at will greater invis, so I was thinking of doing something better than invis. :)

Grod_The_Giant
2017-02-28, 08:47 AM
Grab a bit of Mulhorandi Divine Minion. Even if you don't mess around with early entry cheese, you can use the at-will shifting with the MoMF's list-expanding options.

Fouredged Sword
2017-02-28, 02:25 PM
I would be sorely tempted to dip warshaper once you have a few levels of MoMF. The ability to be immune to crits, increased weapon damage, str boost, and fast healing are wonderful.

Vizzerdrix
2017-02-28, 02:32 PM
and an aasimar genasi githzerai monk.

Um... How is he 3 races?:smallconfused:

Sedrik-the-Blue
2017-02-28, 02:48 PM
Um... How is he 3 races?:smallconfused:

Aasimar and genasi are templates...

Vizzerdrix
2017-02-28, 02:51 PM
Aasimar and genasi are templates...

Are you posative? I could have sworn they where stand alone races.

Sedrik-the-Blue
2017-02-28, 02:54 PM
Are you positive? I could have sworn they where stand alone races.

Many people use them as templates even though RAW they are stand alone. We are some of those people. Sorry for the confusion. I should have said that we use them as templates.

They are kind of underpowered as stand alone races tbh.

Vizzerdrix
2017-02-28, 02:59 PM
Ah. I see. And here I was thinking I had lost my marbles.:smallsmile:

Anyways, if you end up with a half decent wisdom score, I would recomend getting some shapesand to turn into various barding for your forms.

Also, if dragon magazines are allowed, battledancer 1 gets cha mod to ac like a monk gets wisdom to ac. Not too great, but it could come in handy.

Rebel7284
2017-02-28, 11:02 PM
Have you considered Phrenic instead of Half-Fey? While Charm Person at will is nice and all, the hit to Con hurts as you probably will be in melee some of the time. Phrenic also, in my opinion, has better abilities much of the time. Psionic Dominate is way better than regular dominate and you eventually get Teleport, which is pretty important in high level play! Remember that powers are automatically augmented to HD! You also get power resistance, which by default works as spell resistance too (and no one else in the party is a caster for that to cause problems with buffs).

ATHATH
2017-02-28, 11:27 PM
You might want to dip into Chameleon- being able to change what ability Assume Supernatural Ability is keyed/attuned to on a daily basis is quite nice.

Sedrik-the-Blue
2017-03-01, 08:40 AM
Have you considered being Phrenic instead of Half-Fey?

My DM says no to psionics in this campaign...

You might want to dip into Chameleon- being able to change what ability Assume Supernatural Ability is keyed/attuned to on a daily basis is quite nice.

Yeah, chameleon will come at later levels almost certainly.

Also, if dragon magazines are allowed, battledancer 1 gets cha mod to ac like a monk gets wisdom to ac. Not too great, but it could come in handy.

I think I will stick to the monk's belt.

--------

Thanks, guys for all your help. This has been an enlightwening experience. I think I know where I'm going with this. I just need to nail down race. I'm thinking in order of level up, Ranger 5/MoMF 7/Chameleon 5/MoMF +3

Basically, to be the everyman. My skill points will encompass almost everything (with Able Learner). I won't be a master, but I'll be useful everywhere.

The Iron Chef's winner gave me this idea. (@Darrin Your concept was awesome, but we aren't using psionics, so I am stuck with copy melding the first/second place design.)

Fouredged Sword
2017-03-01, 09:41 AM
Well, with chameleon you are stuck as human.

Sedrik-the-Blue
2017-03-01, 09:57 AM
Well, with chameleon you are stuck as human.

Well, actually, did you know that the adaptation rules for the chameleon specifically state that the changeling should be allowed to take Able Learner AND qualify for the racial requirements of Chameleon? (They are, after all, a watered down Doppleganger.)