PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Taking Martial Training For A kensai (magus)

Nosta
2017-02-27, 07:35 PM
so My pc was eaten in the last game session and so I am starting over
I am Planning on playing a Bladebound Kensai and would Like to know if Taking Martial Training To Get Some Mithral current Maneuvers & Stances would Be worth it
or is it more of a flavor thing. I like The Art of Iaijusutu but am wondering if the Martial Style Based Around the Fighting style would be worth adding to a kensai.
'

Any thoughts ?

Da Beast
2017-02-27, 10:10 PM
Spell combat is a full round action so I don't think there's anyway to combine it with strikes. That said, you could potentially get quite a bit from a well chosen boost or counter.

Ninjaxenomorph
2017-02-27, 10:21 PM
Spellstrike can be combined with strikes if you hold the charge; spells that have multiple touch charges are probably the most useful. If you are using the Martial Training feats on a magus, I look at it as a way to extend resources, rather than stack them for bigger spikes. I was having some fun planning a Hexcrafter that uses Cursed Razor.

Azoth
2017-02-27, 10:36 PM
Squeeze 4 levels of BladeCaster in the build and he can use a spell+strike 1+Initiaton modifier/day.

Something like Magus4/Bushi Warder1/Bladecaster4. At level 9 he can go 1+Int mod/day so should be fine for those Nova moments.

I would probably go Kensai Magus3/Crossblooded Sorc (Orc/Dragon)1/Bushi Warder1/Bladecaster4. Grab myself a spell storing + Spell Echoing weapon and when a nova is needed unload 3 Intensified Shocking Grasps + Strike into my target. Nothing says die quite like 30d6+60+weapon+strike damage!

Nosta
2017-02-28, 10:59 AM
Back to the top

Ninjaxenomorph
2017-02-28, 06:33 PM
Hmm. The first feat wont's really be seeing much use, since as a magus you can have many things competing for your swift action. The second is actually really good for you, since you have spells like Mirror Image that can give extra opportunities for foes to miss. The final one is decent, upping your damage without having to strike. The Iaijutsu abilities that the Kensai gets don't do enough for Mithral Current, since you're going to want to be drawing a weapon every time you do a strike, and the best way to do that is to take Quick Draw and Mixed Combat, though drawing on AoOs is pretty nice.