PDA

View Full Version : Fun things to do with a pal of slaughter

nintendoh
2017-02-28, 12:24 AM
Hi folks,

We are playing a evil campaign and we have a palidan of slaughter with power attack and exotic weapon prof full blade. He is going to be lvl 4 soon. Kinda looking for ideas for the build and feat tree. Has anyone played a palidan variant before and what did you do with it. Currently we are trying to stockholm syndrom a goblin kingdom and he has 5 ranks in man... Prostitute... Profession. Yeah... Its kinda funny but he needs some ideas some help please.

nintendoh
2017-02-28, 11:34 AM
Noone has an idea. Darn!

Zaq
2017-02-28, 12:14 PM
How closely are you adhering to the code of conduct? Because a Paladin of Slaughter's CoC makes them basically entirely unable to function, even in an Evil party. You can't accept orders or instructions from anyone who hasn't beaten you in a fight (so the Rogue can't say "hey, Paladude, come over here and help me flank this guy" unless the Rogue has already kicked your ass), you can never do something that would help someone in need (and that's a really broad prohibition right there), you must do the Stupid Evil thing of "sowing death and destruction at every opportunity" . . . you just can't make that work if you're playing it as written. Even Evil parties need to occasionally interact with people without killing/destroying them now and again.

If you're relaxing the CoC a bit, then a SlaughterPally is basically like a weaker normal Paladin, since they don't have any splat support. Their class features are all pretty weaksauce (Divine Grace is as good for you as for anyone else, but everything else is forgettable), and they don't have a cool expanded spell list. They will also likely have a difficult time qualifying for PrCs specifically intended for Paladins, though to be fair, relatively few of those PrCs are worth the effort.

Basically, what do you actually want the character to do, and why is it important to you that they be a SlaughterPally? I recommend taking the minimum number of Paladin levels necessary to get what you're looking for and then seeking more fertile ground elsewhere. The class itself doesn't offer any obvious focus points to optimize around. I guess you can technically take Battle Blessing and cast your spells faster, though with just that tiny little spell list, that's less than thrilling.

Fouredged Sword
2017-02-28, 02:16 PM
I would be tempted to go into a disciple of dispater crit fishing build. What you want to build for is improved critical and then martial study (sudden leap) / Martial stance (blood in the water).

You are feat starved as crap for the longest time in this build. Maybe Paladin of Slaughter 4 / Fighter 2 / DoD 10 / Anything full bab 5. Maybe retrain that fullblade proficiency to great falchion to make better use of your new crazy threat range modifiers.

Basically at around

Paladin of Slaughter 4 / Fighter 2 / DoD 10

1st level feat - power attack
human feat - Disciple of Darkness
3rd level feat - Expertise
FF 1 - Exotic weapon prof (great falchion)
FF 2 - Martial Study
6th level feat - Martial Stance
9th level feat - Improved Critical

The idea is that you threaten a critical whenever you roll a 9+. Each time you score a critical you get a rolling +1 to hit and damage you use power attack to turn into a +3 to damage that stacks each time you trigger a critical hit.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-02-28, 03:01 PM
If you're relaxing the CoC a bit, then a SlaughterPally is basically like a weaker normal Paladin, since they don't have any splat support. Their class features are all pretty weaksauce (Divine Grace is as good for you as for anyone else, but everything else is forgettable), and they don't have a cool expanded spell list. They will also likely have a difficult time qualifying for PrCs specifically intended for Paladins, though to be fair, relatively few of those PrCs are worth the effort.
Pretty much this. One more level for Rebuke Undead might be decent, but I'd get out right after that. Grab some Barbarian, perhaps (ze old Spirit Lion Totem, Whirling Frenzy, Wolf Totem Barbarian 2 morass works wonders for any melee type), then look at PrCs. Going into Blackguard, say, would be pretty much a direct upgrade, since unlike Paladins of Slaughter they have splatbook support.

nintendoh
2017-02-28, 06:08 PM
Well he does love that sword. He drew a picture of his character with it. We fluffed my dread necro as the party leader and my god is the talk to the palidan through the sword. Code of conduct is so relaxed we play him as a fighter. Chaotic evil jerkface fighter but still. The goal for his build is to be as hitty as possible. Low op. I was suggestion the lion totem to him earlier but if we run to lvl 10 or beyond we would be at a loss. Runescarred bezerker would be hard to get into and bear warrior may interest him but bear claws and full blade = no go. Sword is a plot point not going to be getting rid of it. Thanks for your suggestions.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-02-28, 06:10 PM
Frenzied Berserker?

Thurbane
2017-02-28, 07:19 PM
Paladin of Slaughter X/Bard 2/Battle Dancer 1/Hexblade 2/Arcane Duelist 2:

Cha to saves (x2 against spells etc.). Cha to AC twice (in place of armor).

Drop Battle Dancer if you want to wear armor.

...maybe PrC into Sublime Chord?

Rebel7284
2017-03-01, 12:06 AM
A build I have seen in the past and really like is Paladin of Slaughter 3/Hexblade 2/Ur Priest 10

At low levels, you are just a dark knight with amazing saves. However, eventually you get so bad-ass that you just take what you want from the gods themselves and use it to smite lesser beings. You can take Iron Will from a magical location to qualify more easily. May need to do Paladin 3/Hexblade 3 if you can't swap something out for spell focus evil, but that's fine as you get mettle, making your amazing saves even better.