PDA

View Full Version : Death knight class creation

Deadman97
2017-02-28, 01:17 AM
Hello I'm new to making my own class and was just wanting to see if this class is balanced I have no flavor text to it yet but plan to and looking for feedback please.

I do not take credit for the class as I had taken abilities from other of the same but this is my variation of this class.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/19xVMLtSOQ6kGLXb-xXaeXIJiWyX3W2dIpdzHOiTctGY/pub

Deadman97
2017-02-28, 01:27 AM
Hi how do you post links

khadgar567
2017-02-28, 01:35 AM
Currently just paste the damn link after few posts you can link it normaly

Deadman97
2017-02-28, 01:38 AM
thanks for the info

Deadman97
2017-03-07, 11:16 PM
Any advice?

JNAProductions
2017-03-07, 11:46 PM

Full Dex in Full Plate? And you get to swap Strength for Dexterity for AC?

That's an AC of 23, easy, off one stat. BEFORE the shield!

Right, clean up the formatting a little and I'll look over the rest, but that's OP as hell.

Deadman97
2017-03-08, 12:36 PM
How would you fix the ac problem? It's also at 13th level. I'll get the formatting when I get home today

Superstition
2017-03-08, 03:31 PM
Compare your class to official Wizard classes that fill the tank/dps niche (like fighter, or paladin) and just see how high every one of your abilities and combat stats are compared to them, without any feats or optimization.
Compare it to appropriate-level monsters as well, and feel free to play-test it.
You will probably find that if you were the DM, you will be sorely tempted to fudge your rolls against a player with this class.

In regard to your request for suggestions though, here is a thought for your Runic Armor. Consider tying the AC bonus to your runes. So, you do not simply add Dex, but gain +1 magic bonus to AC or something for every active rune. You'll have to limit your runes to 3 also, but that should be fine since it is still a super powerful ability that actually lets your player save on money they spend for armor and can let them focus more on weapons or more unique enchantments for their armor. Your player is also forced to choose to whittle away their AC for a burst of damage or utility when they use runic abilities, which can be an exciting play style of risk/reward.

I'm also confused by its relationship with your Lv.10 ability, Forceful Deflection, as that ability lets you replace DEX with STR when determining AC. I'm wondering if that would stack, because then you effectively only need STR to maximize both defense and offense (although thankfully, it is worded clearly enough that I wouldn't allow you to add both DEX and STR to your AC).

Your Lv.17 and Lv.20 abilities both seem like capstone abilities, and even then, they are both easily abused. I can see some sense if you were comparing this to a wizard who didn't actually have access to 9th level spells and you needed to give them something appropriate, but you are a death-themed paladin with d10 hp and the AC of a god. You can even take over the body of a Solar or Tarrasque if you were given the chance to become a literal god.

In short, the class is a little more than munchkin.

Deadman97
2017-03-08, 08:53 PM
I change master of death ability at 17 level and did what you said for the dread plate armor, made level 10 ability more clear I think, thank you for your ideas its appreciation very much anymore advice is welcome

Superstition
2017-03-10, 08:33 PM
I'm going to go a little more in detail over everything at this point.

Concept: I really want to understand the concept of your class. You don't have to put it on your document, but instead, if you prefer, write it here. In one short sentence, what is a death knight? Is it a fallen warrior brought back to life by the power of a lich king? A warlock-knight in the service of your patron? An eldritch warrior specializing in an esoteric form of magic? What is the core ideal of your class, because the abilities seem to make sense, but they're also a little more disjointed than I'd like.

Ability Adjustment: It is unusual to see this on a class and not a race. Are Death Knights a race-specific class, like in 1e or 2e? Is this more of a suggestion for those who use variant rulesets assigning ability adjustments by class instead of race? Or, does the process of becoming a death knight make you become a little more than mortal (at which point, it should be a class feature instead of something like saves or proficiency).

Rune Weapon: It's a standard swordmage/magic-knight ability. I'd prefer it if you separated the spellcasting and focus from it since it makes it so cluttered; but it is honestly a minor quibble since you get all those abilities at the same time anyway and your doing so has little to no impact on the actual gameplay.

Rune Magic: Seems balanced enough, although spell selection is always going to be extremely complicated. Would you consider transferring the section about using Runes to cast magic to this ability though? It seems out of place on the weapon ability.

Mastery: A small qualm about the name as most people do not automatically master anything at level or by taking one level in a class. The ability itself is also more flavorful than anything that contributes to or changes gameplay mechanics. Also, I have to ask why the relic you receive from this ability is not the focus for your runes and spellcasting, especially since it seems very appropriate.

Killing Machine: A critical hit that can theoretically provide you with unlimited spellcasting and an outright passive that doubles your chance at critical damage is simply too strong for a level 2 ability. There are too many reasons to take this class, just for that. Consider moving it up to a level 10 ability.

Death Aspect: I do like the aspect's unique abilities to provide a tank mechanic through leeching, control, and minions, respectively. Unfortunately, the core concept itself is still very close to WoW game mechanics, especially with the naming. The concepts could also use some work to specifically flesh out the conceptual differences in frost, blood, and unholy aspects for your death knight.

Horn of Winter: This is one of those names and abilities that do not make as much sense for the concept of a death knight. I understand the core class is like a frontline commander or death-themed paladin, but why does it have to be a horn associated with winter?

Reaper: Again, this is the same concern with unlimited spellcasting as with your Killing Machine ability.

Forceful Deflection: I really don't like this one, as it replaces what is specifically a defensive stat with an offensive stat. I understand finesse weapons do this often by replacing STR with DEx for attack and damage, but finesse weapons also tend to do a lot less damage than greatswords or polearms that can only be used effectively with a high strength. Overall, this seems like the most munchkin ability to me, and I would really question exactly why you think a death knight should be just as durable a fighter in leather armor as in full plate. Maybe it'll make sense, maybe it won't.

Dread Plate: I imagined this acting more like Mage Armor, where you gain 18 AC +1 AC for every Rune you have on your armor (max 3) instead of an untyped +3 armor. Those untyped bonuses are actually really rare and I question why you want to make it more common.

Master of Death: Everything about your kit so far has been about beating down your enemies with large metal weapons, or supernatural/magical usesof fear and death. Why is this the only ability that lets you heal?

Also, just to clarify, do you activate the aura a number of rounds equal to 1+CHA, or do you use your heal ability a number of times/1+CHA?

Purgatory: I'll wait until you actually define the mechanics of possession.

Deadman97
2017-03-11, 12:54 AM
The concept of the class is to have pretty much a fighter paladin that uses the negative energys in mechanical sense but flavor is to have death knights made one of the two ways which is free from a lich's control or being coming one from a paladin you can't get positive energy but can use negative but maybe doing some good. Also I wanted them to be a challenge to a couple of things and be a tank/self buff and let's them decide how to go about it like you said the blood heals , frost is damaging, and unholy is make a meat shield of undead. I change forceful deflection to be a reaction to save the characters skin and there is a limited use on killing machine and reaping. I'll change names in a day or so and the dread plate has been reworked as I like the idea of it being like mags armor and it's nice I think. Thank you for the advice. Any more is welcomed.
Also what did you mean for the rune magic ? And purgatory had had its possession add to it :)