PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Holy Slayer PrC- Is it worth it?

SirNibbles
2017-02-28, 06:05 AM
The Holy Slayer PrC (Dragon Magazine #321, page 87) is noteworthy for its 10th level ability which deals 2 Con damage every time you sneak attack. You also gain +4d6 sneak attack, Weapon Specialization, and Immunity to Fear. You only need Weapon Focus, +4 BAB, a lawful alignment, and 8 ranks of Intimidate (plus 2 ranks in a small group of other skills) to qualify; it's pretty easy.

If you were doing a build that focused on Sneak Attacking, would Holy Slayer 10 be worth it?

TIPOT
2017-02-28, 08:01 AM
No because craven requires you not be immune to fear. The class actually makes you worse at sneak attacking (as you can't take craven).

Lilapop
2017-02-28, 01:53 PM
Haven't looked it up, but two points of constitution damage is arguably better than one point of damage per attacker's character level, as many monsters have higher HD than the player level they are appropriate for. Otherwise, it is 2d6 behind Rogue levels 11-19 plus most 1-level dips while getting Weapon Spec instead.

The real dealbreaker is gonna be what you lose in the skillmonkeying department - does it compare in terms of skill points per level, skill list, and skill mastery/whatever other special abilities you get/whatever other classes give you?

WhamBamSam
2017-02-28, 02:50 PM
Fear Moths from Dragons of Faerun eat immunity to fear. They're priced as a trap, but if you can sort out the logistics of keeping them nearby and alive, they'll sort out issues with Craven.

What are Holy Slayer's other class features? What you've listed seems a bit sparse.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-02-28, 03:13 PM
If I'm looking at the right one, it gives you

A passable chassis (d8, 4+Int, medium BAB)
+1/2 level to Bluff, Disguise, and Intimidate (nice)
Weapon Specialization and Poison Use (meh)
+4d6 sneak attack, but it doesn't kick in at first (Weapon Specialization sort of replaces the first boost-- meh)
Bonus/Immunity to feat (meh/bad)
"Smite Infidel," which is both terrible and severely restricted by roleplaying
2 con damage when you sneak attack (nice)

Overall, I'd be tempted to say "not worth it." It's a long road to get that Con damage, and overall I'd say the class is a downgrade when compared to straight Rogue or the vanilla Assassin.

weckar
2017-03-01, 05:36 AM
Craven is a situational choice at best. One of my DMs LOVES throwing fear around, so Craven is generally bad in that group. There I could see this class actually being a boon.

emeraldstreak
2017-03-01, 05:59 AM
Golden Ice ravage is superior, esp. updated to 3.5.