PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Question about Twin Spells

BladedWizard
2017-02-28, 11:55 AM
Hi,

Can a sorcerer with the Twin Spell MM twin the Cure Wounds spell on his standard action, and then twin the Healing Word spell on his bonus action.. resulting in four healing spells on his round?

Dalebert
2017-02-28, 11:58 AM
No, but it has nothing to do with Twinning. Any time you cast a spell as a bonus action, the only other spell you can cast that same turn is a cantrip with a casting time of one action.

DivisibleByZero
2017-02-28, 11:59 AM
Hi,

Can a sorcerer with the Twin Spell MM twin the Cure Wounds spell on his standard action, and then twin the Healing Word spell on his bonus action.. resulting in four healing spells on his round?

No, because the use of Healing Word as a bonus action prevents any other spells beyond cantrips from being cast that same turn.
So you could Twin Cure Wounds, or you could Twin Healing Word, but you could not Twin both because you cannot cast both.
And.... ninja'd. :smallcool:

LordVonDerp
2017-02-28, 12:00 PM
If you have the spells, the slots, and the points for it then yes.

LordVonDerp
2017-02-28, 12:03 PM
No, because the use of Healing Word as a bonus action prevents any other spells beyond cantrips from being cast that same turn.
So you could Twin Cure Wounds, or you could Twin Healing Word, but you could not Twin both because you cannot cast both.
And.... ninja'd. :smallcool:
Right, forgot about that bit.

RickAllison
2017-02-28, 12:05 PM
Dalebert is correct. Now theoretically if there was a healing cantrip to get around the bonus action restriction, you could Twin both because that is not a restriction of the Metamagic.

Alternatively, you could have Action Surge from a Fighter dip. You can Cure Wounds twice with that and both CWs could be Twinned to heal four people.

The important thing to keep in mind with Cure Wounds, however, is that it has a range of touch and that Twin just gives you two targets rather than two spells. So you would need to have two targets within 10 feet of each other to twin that spell.

BladedWizard
2017-02-28, 12:08 PM
I see now.

So if I twin Cure Wounds, I wouldn't be able to cast any spell on my bonus action. I could, however, use Bardic Inspiration if I have a level in Bard. But if I twin Healing Word, then I can cast a cantrip.

Thanks for the response guys.

DivisibleByZero
2017-02-28, 12:08 PM
I see now.

So if I twin Cure Wounds, I wouldn't be able to cast any spell on my bonus action. I could, however, use Bardic Inspiration if I have a level in Bard. But if I twin Healing Word, then I can cast a cantrip.

This is correct.

The Ship's dog
2017-02-28, 01:46 PM
I see now.

Or you, if you have Quicken, then you could use a Cantrip and Quicken a Twinned Cure Wounds. This wouldn't be breaking the RAW but it would eat up a lot of Sorcery Points.

Flashy
2017-02-28, 01:47 PM
Or you, if you have Quicken, then you could use a Cantrip and Quicken a Twinned Cure Wounds. This wouldn't be breaking the RAW but it would eat up a lot of Sorcery Points.

You cannot apply two metamagic to the same spell (with the exception of Empower).

The Ship's dog
2017-02-28, 02:16 PM
You cannot apply two metamagic to the same spell (with the exception of Empower).

Ah yes, sorry about that. You still could Quicken a Cure Wounds but that's not the point I guess.