PDA

View Full Version : Accelerating the Ritual of Crucumigration

gary0509
2017-02-28, 01:30 PM
If I read the 3.5 rules correctly on the Ritual of Crucumigration (becoming a necropolitan) it says, "The ceremony lasts for 24 hours, the usual time it takes for the petitioner to perish". Nothing about that says it REQUIRES 24 hours. If one wanted to help the ceremony along they could inflict damage upon the petitioner while on the pole.

Am I right?

Venger
2017-02-28, 01:43 PM
If I read the 3.5 rules correctly on the Ritual of Crucumigration (becoming a necropolitan) it says, "The ceremony lasts for 24 hours, the usual time it takes for the petitioner to perish". Nothing about that says it REQUIRES 24 hours. If one wanted to help the ceremony along they could inflict damage upon the petitioner while on the pole.

Am I right?

No, you are not.

the ritual of crucimigration lasts for 24 hours, which is the usual time it takes for the user to die. It doesn't say it lasts "24 hours or until you die, whichever comes first." so if you jabbed your buddy in the middle of the ritual, doesn't wrap up faster, it just kills him.

If you don't have 24 hours to spare for whatever reason, that's why they invented fast time planes. Just ask the necropolitans helping you out nicely to hop into the portal and maybe provide some snacks.

Telonius
2017-02-28, 02:28 PM
Even if it does work, changing a magical ritual halfway through also tends to cause ... well, let's call them, "unanticipated consequences."

Venger
2017-02-28, 02:58 PM
Even if it does work, changing a magical ritual halfway through also tends to cause ... well, let's call them, "unanticipated consequences."

plot twist: only your legs are necropolitan

Inevitability
2017-02-28, 04:39 PM
plot twist: only your legs are necropolitan

"The sorcerer casts Finger of Death on... you! Make your saving throw or perish!"
"Hang on, did he hit my legs? I may be immune."

Venger
2017-02-28, 04:43 PM
"The sorcerer casts Finger of Death on... you! Make your saving throw or perish!"
"Hang on, did he hit my legs? I may be immune."

"Let me roll on the hit table. He hits your finger."
"Now I've got a necropolitan finger."

gary0509
2017-02-28, 06:31 PM
Thanks guys.
I guess I was looking for an easy solution, but you're right. The 24 hours is the ritual, not necessarily the dying part. Just gotta manage other characters in the interim. :smallannoyed:

Venger
2017-02-28, 07:02 PM
Thanks guys.
I guess I was looking for an easy solution, but you're right. The 24 hours is the ritual, not necessarily the dying part. Just gotta manage other characters in the interim. :smallannoyed:

so the question is how to occupy the rest of your party while one of them is crucimigrated?

you have a couple of options here:

I assume under gentleman's agreement, you won't actually try to have monsters attack the penitent while he's up on the cross.

but the pcs don't need to know that.

there could be some anti-undead crusaders picking on people in the necropolis and the party could occupy themselves defending the front walls while the odd man out was on the cross.

maybe you could give him a temporary sheet for the one combat to play an npc necropolitan, or ask him if he was interested in running the npc anti-undead clerics and whatnot against the party.

or if none of those appeal, you could just handle it during downtime and say it happens while the rest of the party explores the necropolis.

or while it's happening you could have them explore the necropolis. talk to the citizens, learn about their culture, see what their deal is, make friends, buy stuff, etc.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-02-28, 07:05 PM
maybe you could give him a temporary sheet for the one combat to play an npc necropolitan, or ask him if he was interested in running the npc anti-undead clerics and whatnot against the party.

or if none of those appeal, you could just handle it during downtime and say it happens while the rest of the party explores the necropolis.
One of these two options, pretty much. Don't want to make the poor player sit around for a night while the rest of the party does interesting stuff.