PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Misty Shadow's Sorcerous Origins - PEACH

Shadow_in_the_Mist
2017-02-28, 02:02 PM
So, you're doubtlessly wondering what the hell is going on. Well, to put things simply, I've got a lot of homebrewed subclasses for 5e that I want to get critiqued, plus plans for future subclasses beyond that. For obvious reasons, I can't post each subclass here individually; I'd drown us all. But, at the same time, I can't hope to get any reviews or comments if I put them all in one thread - wall of text to the nth degree. So, I tried to compromise and instead make a relatively small group of splinter topics that I can post them under in more manageable numbers.

To see these subclasses in their natural habitat, follow the linked google-doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-MEFIyT9jA8dlnomdEUNLIzV3ELhH3FWbcdxb0FSRTY/edit

To see the index of all my 5e homebrew, follow this linked thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?516554-The-Misty-Shadow-s-Absurd-Amount-of-5e-Homebrew-PEACH

What is there to say about the Sorcerer? So far, it's the most neglected and unloved of the casters, with the fewest Origins to diversify them. And this is a shame, because 4e really made me like them. So, in the spirit of giving our neglected caster some love, I've been trying to cook up a couple of new Origins to make them shine.

Shadow_in_the_Mist
2017-02-28, 02:21 PM
The idea of the Sorcerer as the magical prodigy, the individual for whom magic is in the blood, really resonates with me. Unfortunately, when it comes to portraying that particular archetype, the Wild Mage/Chaos Magic origin isn't the best of fits. It's just too chaotic in temperament. The Arcanist was my attempt to really explore that archetype of a sorcerer as someone to whom magic just comes as easily as breathing, which also really makes it a good fit for the "generalist mage" sort of character.

Arcanist
Magic is in the blood for all sorcerers, but arcanists take that to a new height entirely. Although sometimes confused for wild mages, arcanists do not struggle to control their gifts. Rather, magic simply comes to them as simply and as naturally as breathing.

These sorcerers most frequently arise from situations where a soul is stepped in pure, refined, magical energy. Arcanists frequently arise as the progeny of mighty wizards, or emerge from amongst long-rooted wizardly dynasties. Others are born in places stepped in magical power, or amongst rare magical phenomena. And still others simply are, with no explanation other than, perhaps, the fickle whim of chance, or the manipulations of destiny.

1st Level Feature: Arcane Prodigy
Magical theorums and mystical insights come naturally to you, allowing you to grasp intuitively what others need to study. You gain Proficiency in the Arcana skill. If you already have Proficiency in this skill, or later gain Proficiency from another source, then you gain Advantage on all Arcana checks. Additionally, you increase your Cantrips Known and your Spells Known by +1 each.

1st Level Feature: Mana Wellspring
Your reserve of magical energy is deeper than normal; increase your Sorcery Points allotment by +1.

6th Level Feature: Font of Spells
Unlike other sorcerers, you have the ability to draw upon larger numbers of spells than your mind can hold. You gain the ability to create a Spellbook and to Prepare spells like a Wizard, although you still select your spells from the Sorcerer list and still use Charisma as your casting ability score.

14th Level Feature: Overwhelming Power
Your deep reserves of magical energy allow you to put more of yourself into your spells, crushing enemies under their might. When you cast a spell that directly inflicts damage, you inflict an additional amount of damage equal to your Charisma modifier.

18th Level Feature: Essence Incarnate
You have learned to shed your mortal flesh for a time and truly embrace the magic within. By spending 5 Sorcery Points as an action, you may assume your Essence Form. This state lasts for 1 minute. During your time in this state, you have Advantage on any saving throws against spells or magical effects; if you succeed on your saving throw, the attack inflicts no damage and instead you gain temporary hit points equal to your level + your Charisma modifier. Additionally, whilst in Essence Form, your speed increases by +10 feet, you gain the Incorporeal Movement trait, and you can cast spells that would normally take 1 action as a Bonus Action. Once you have ended your use of Essence Form, you cannot use it again until you have completed a long rest.

Shadow_in_the_Mist
2017-02-28, 02:32 PM
The Cosmic Soul, introduced in 4e's Arcane Power, was one of the cooler Sorcerous Origins - seriously, it's a mage who draws their power directly from the cosmos and the stars above; how can you not love that? However, it's also a rather complicated affair, so I'm really worried about this one.

Cosmic Soul
Magic abounds in the worlds of Dungeons & Dragons. It soars in the breeze, floats in the water, and seeps into the very rocks. It should be little surprise that the heavens themselves abound in untamed magical energies. Suns, moons and stars, both through their movements and their natures, radiate mystical energies, and some are born under the right celestial alignment to tap those powers for themselves. Whether they cycle steadily through all the powers of the heavens or are aligned to only a single celestial body, these are the sorcerers of the Cosmic Soul.

1st Level Feature: Celestial Alignment
Choose between Sun, Moon or Stars Aligned. This will affect other features you gain as you level up. You can choose to change your Celestial Alignment as part of taking a long rest. You gain Proficiency in Arcana, and have Advantage on any Arcana checks relating to the stars or their denizens, such as a determining that a ritual requires a certain solar alignment to function.

1st Level Feature: Heavenly Mantle
You can spend 1 Sorcery Point as a free action to engage your Heavenly Mantle for 1 hour. The effect of the mantle depends on your Celestial Alignment.

Sun: Gain Resistance to Cold Damage.
Moon: Gain Resistance to Pyschic Damage.
Stars: Gain Resistance to Radiant Damage.

6th Level Feature: Shield of the Skies
Whilst your Heavenly Mantle is active, you gain a bonus trait dependent upon your Celestial Alignment.

Sun: Enemies that start or end their turn adjacent to you take damage equal to your Charisma modifier. This damage is considered to be Fire and Radiant for determining Resistances, Immunities or Vulnerabilities.
Moon: Enemies suffer Disadvantage when trying to hit you with melee attacks.
Stars: Once per turn, if an enemy attack misses you, you can use your reaction to teleport (5 times Charisma modifier, minimum of 5) feet in a direction of your choice.

14th Level Feature: Veil of the Firmament
Whilst your Heavenly Mantle is active, you gain a bonus trait dependent upon your Celestial Alignment.

Sun: You now inflict Fire & Radiant damage equal to your Sorcerer level on foes that are adjacent to you. You also inflict Fire & Radiant damage equal to your Charisma modifier on enemies that start or end their turn within 10 feet of you.
Moon: Enemies that start or end their turn adjacent to you must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or take Psychic damage equal to your Sorcerer level.
Stars: Once per turn, you can use your Move Action to teleport (base speed + 5 * Charisma modifier, mininum of 5) feet in a direction that you choose.

18th Level Feature: Nudge The Orrery

Sun: Spells you cast that inflict Fire or Radiant damage gain bonus damage equal to your Sorcerer level.
Moon: Enemies suffer Disadvantage on Wisdom saves against your spells.
Stars: If you inflict Radiant damage on an enemy with a Sorcerer spell, you can use your Reaction to teleport that enemy 5 feet. If you inflicted damage on multiple enemies simultaneously, choose one enemy to target.

Shadow_in_the_Mist
2017-02-28, 02:36 PM
I'm not entirely sure what possessed me to try and craft a necromantic Sorcerous Origin. I guess memories of the Dread Necromancer from 3.5, who was essentially a necromancer subclass of the Sorcerer. Still, I'd be interested in seeing how to make this feel different from the Necromancy Tradition Wizard.

Voidsoul
Necromancy is mostly thought of as a wizardly art. But, there are those who are born to wield such powers. Some may have cheated death, either metaphorically or literally. Some may be the last scions of ancient, degenerate families, steeped from birth in the haunting souls of generations who came before them. Some may be touched by the grave; born in a graveyard, conceived through a carnal act with a vampire, ghost, mummy or lich, anointed with vampire blood or mummy dust, escaped from the possession of a ghost. Whatever their origins, the Voidsouls have an affinity for the magic of the dead and undying, walking with one foot in the mortal world and one foot in the grave.

1st Level Feature: Gravesight
You have the ability to sense the presence of the undead. You can tell if a creature is undead on sight; mundane disguises cannot fool you. Additionally, you have Advantage on Perception checks made to track or locate the undead, or to penetrate the magical disguises of undead creatures.

1st Level Feature: Shroud Thy Soul
You can spend 1 Sorcery Point as an Action in order to gain Resistance to Necrotic damage for 1 hour.

6th Level Feature: Open The Grave
You gain the knowledge of and ability to cast Animate Dead. This does not use up one of your Spells Known slots, but you must spend spell slots when casting Animate Dead, as per the normal rules.

14th Level Feature: Command The Dead
You may use an action to exert your will over all undead within 20 feet of you. Affected Undead must succeed on a Charisma save against your Sorcerer spell save or be Charmed by you for 1 minute. Undead with an Intelligence of 8 or higher, or which are under the direct control of another being, have Advantage on this saving throw. You can use this ability once and then must take a short rest before using it again.

18th Level Feature: Wraithform
You can use an Action to spend 5 Sorcery Points and assume a Wraithform. In this state, you gain the Incorporeal Movement trait, a Fly speed of 30 feet, the ability to Hover, Damage Resistance against non-magical Slashing, Piercing and Bludgeoning damage, and the ability to inflict Necrotic damage equal to your level with an Unarmed Strike. You can use this ability once, and must then take a long rest before you can use it again.

Shadow_in_the_Mist
2017-02-28, 02:45 PM
The icy elementalist isn't quite as famous a concept as the fire-wielding pyromancer or even the earth-shaking geomancer, but it's still a real fantasy archetype, and one I'd like to explore. The Blizzard Mage paragon path in 4e was pretty awesome, even if none of the Origins in that edition quite meshed with it. Well, I guess White/Silver Dragon Sorcerer...

Coldheart
Although most think of roaring fire, crackling lightning or even the pounding surf when they consider elemental magic, there are other elemental magics that are no less deadly, even if their manifestations are subtler. Ice and snow hold equal power to kill, a deadly frost that numbs body and soul until death envelops its victim with surprising gentleness. And so, just as there are sorcerers who are born to the magic of the vibrant elements, there are those born to the power of cold.

Known by many names, including white walkers, winter witches, frostweavers and mournbringers, the coldheart sorcerers are a cool and calculating breed, naturally inclined to be dispassionate, vengeful and even cruel.

1st Level Feature: Wraith of the Winter Wastes
The icy energies permeating your body make you more adept at surviving in the deepest tundra. You are considered to be Acclimatized to conditions of extreme cold. Additionally, you halve your daily requirements for food and you are not affected by difficult terrain based on ice or snow.

1st Level Feature: Frozen Feelings
The chill magic seeping from your soul numbs the efforts of others to manipulate your emotions. You have Advantage on any Wisdom saves against the Frightened and Charmed effects.

6th Level Feature: Frigid Flesh
The chill in your heart courses through your veins, making you a figure of living ice. You gain Resistance to Cold. Additionally, when making an Unarmed Strike, you inflict Cold damage equal to your Charisma modifier.

14th Level Feature: Herald of Winter
The chill you radiate grows ever stronger, bringing icy death to those who oppose you. When you inflict Cold damage with a spell, you add your Charisma modifier to the damage inflicted. Your Unarmed Strikes now do Cold damage equal to your Level. Finally, by touching existing water, you can freeze it solid, creating a mass of ice in whatever shape you desire. You can affect a 5 foot by 5 foot cube of water with each action or bonus action you spend invoking this "flash freeze".

18th Level Feature: Bringer of Blizzards
You are the wrath of winter incarnate. Nothing that is warm can stand before you now. You add Control Weather to your list of spells known; this does not use up one of your Spells Known Slots, but it can only be used to create blizzards. You can extinguish any lit fires within 60 feet of you as a bonus action. When freezing water, you can affect a 10 foot by 10 foot cube. Finally, when you are hit by a melee attack, you can use your reaction to deal cold damage to the attacker equal to your Sorcerer level + your Charisma modifier.

Shadow_in_the_Mist
2017-02-28, 02:52 PM
One of the earliest issues of Dragon Magazine I ever had featured a set-up for "sorcerer bloodlines", where specific magical ancestors affected the abilities of your sorcerer and gave them bonus spells. The Verdant bloodline always stuck with me, just for how interesting it was; I think that was one of the starting points of my appreciation for wood elementalists.

Greenblood
There are many sources of magical power in the worlds of Dungeons & Dragons, but one that sometimes goes overlooked is the subtle power of the plant world. This is a form of elemental magic, born from a union between earth, water and positive energy, but rarely respected as its own magical lore, even though it breathes life into the world around it and propels the growth of all that is green.

Despite this, some sorcerers do harness its power. Such a soul may have a dryad ancestor, or have been conceived in a faerie grove. They may have been bathed in a mystical spring or consumed the fruit from an ancient and primal tree. Whatever their origins, greenblood sorcerers are attuned to the very essence of life itself, and that gives them a subtle, but mighty, strength.

Green Magic
Your connection to the elemental energies of life itself give you the option to learn some spells that deal with both vegetation and healing. When your Spellcasting feature lets you learn a sorcerer spell of 1st level or higher, you can select the spell from the following list of spells, in addition to the sorcerer spell list. You must otherwise obey all the restrictions for selecting the spell, and it becomes a sorcerer spell for you.

0 Level: Thorn Whip
1st Level: Cure Wounds, Entangle
2nd Level: Bark Skin, Spike Growth
3rd Level: Revivify, Plant Growth, Speak With Plants
4th Level: Grasping Vine
5th Level: Reincarnate

1st Level Feature: Eternal Wellspring
When you are targeted by a healing effect that rolls dice to determine how much healing is restored, you increase the amount of health healed by your Charisma modifier (minimum of +1). Excess hitpoints become temporary hitpoints, which last for 1 minute.

1st Level Feature: Walker In The Woods
You have Proficiency in Survival. Additionally, you can spend 2 Sorcery Points to gain the benefits of Pass Without Trace for 10 minutes - in a Forest, Jungle or Grasslands environment, the cost is downgraded to 1 Sorcery Point.

6th Level Feature: Sap In The Blood
You gain the ability to speak to Plant creatures and to understand their speech in turn. You have Advantage on Charisma checks made against Plant creatures. Additionally, you can spend 1 Sorcery Point to gain Resistance to Poison Damage and Immunity to the Poisoned Condition for 1 hour.

14th Level Feature: Ever-Blooming
On your turn, you can use a bonus action to regain 1d8 + Sorcerer level missing hitpoints. Additionally, if you have someone place a severed body part of yours back in place when you use this feature, it is perfectly reattached. You can use this feature once and then must take a short rest before using it again.

18th Level Feature: Seed of Rebirth
You gain the knowledge of and ability to cast the Raise Dead spell. This does not use up one of your Spells Known slots, but still requires expending a 5th level spell slot when casting this spell. You can substitute certain rare plants and fungi as the material components for this spell, although they will still cost 500 gold pieces. If you perform this spell in an area of sufficiently dense vegetation, such as a Jungle, Forest or Grasslands, you can apply 1 of the following benefits: you can raise a body that has been deceased no more than 30 days, you can restore all missing body parts, or you can have the revived individual suffer only a -2 penalty due to resurrection sickness.

Now, normally I wouldn't double-post this here, but it made sense. The Rotheart was imagined as a sort of "necromantic/corrupt counterpoint" to the Greenblood; one embodies life and growth, the other death and decay. I'm just... I don't know if this archetype really makes a lot of sense. What do you folks think?

Rotheart
1st Level Feature: Feast on Filth
A Rotheart’s elemental connection to the forces of decay shields it from their manifestations, and even allows it to feed on foodstuffs that others would shun. A Rotheart Sorcerer gains Advantage on saving throws vs. Poison effects and Disease effects. Additionally, if a Rotheart Sorcerer passes a saving throw vs. Poison when it makes the attempt, it can successfully consume rotten or poisonous food in order to obtain its daily sustenance.

1st Level Feature: Fueled By Rot
Rothearts seek to dissolve and consume life, drawing strength by rendering that which is whole into nothingness. As a bonus action, a Rotheart Sorcerer can touch a corpse and cause it to instantly decompose into a fertile morass. This allows the Sorcerer to regain missing Sorcery Points equal to its Charisma modifier (excess Sorcery Points are lost), and renders the corpse unfit for effects like Animate Dead or Speak with Dead. Against corporeal undead, a Rotheart’s Unarmed Strikes are treated as inflicting Radiant damage.

6th Level Feature: Lord of Writhing Legions
The lowest forms of life feed on decay, and are thusly kin in spirit to the Rotheart. A Rotheart Sorcerer can communicate with fungus and vermin, as per a Speak With Animals spell. Additionally, by using an action and expending Sorcery Points equal to the creature’s Challenge Rating, a Rotheart Sorcerer can attempt to Charm a fungus creature or vermin that it can see. This mimics the effects of a Charm Person spell, except that it targets fungus creatures and vermin.

14th Level Feature: Mantle of Unwholesome Growth
As a Rotheart grows in power, it can call upon its entropic minions to restore its own frame. As a bonus action, a Rotheart Sorcerer can spend 5 Sorcery Points to invoke the Mantle of Unwholesome Growth. For 1 minute or until the Rotheart Sorcerer loses Concentration, it gains Resistance to Necrotic Damage and to Poison Damage. At the start of each turn whilst its Mantle is active, the Rotheart Sorcerer regains lost hit points equal to its Charisma modifier.

18th Level Feature: Avatar of Hunger Eternal
The mightiest of Rothearts can destroy and ruin with a mere touch of their blighted fingers. When trying to break an object, a Rotheart Sorcerer can choose to deliver a corrosive touch in order to do so. This lets the Rotheart Sorcerer inflict Entropic (treat as Acid and Necrotic for damage resistances, immunities and vulnerabilities) Damage equal to its Charisma modifier for each turn it touches the object. Additionally, a Rotheart Sorcerer can spend 1 Sorcery Point when making an Unarmed Strike; if the attack hits, the Sorcerer inflicts Entropic Damage equal to its Charisma modifier on the target.

Shadow_in_the_Mist
2017-02-28, 02:56 PM
I'm a huge kobold fan, and in addition to my desire to do a kobold that isn't pathetically weak and insultingly flavored over in my Beastfolk thread, that also means I really want to convert the Kobold Bloodline from Pathfinder's Advanced Race Guide to 5th edition. I'm particularly in need of advice here, and I hope it can be made workable.

Kobold Bloodline
Although kobolds proudly boast of their supposed claim to draconic ancestry, and hold up their propensity towards sorcery as proof of their claim, the truth is that whatever ancestry they may have is muddled at best. Many kobold sorcerers display their own unique flavor of magic, a power that is more inherently kobold than anything draconic.

Those rare non-kobolds who wield this form of sorcery typically either spent a great deal of time in proximity to them, or else draw their power from the magic of subterranean dragons, such as browns, purples and adamantines.

1st Level Feature: Draconic Ancestry
As per the Draconic Bloodline feature of the same name. You can spend 1 Sorcery Point to gain Damage Resistance to your ancestor's associated damage type for 1 hour.

1st Level Feature: Trapsense
You gain Proficiency with Thieves Tools and the Perception skill. When attempting to perceive or disarm traps, you double your Proficiency bonus.

6th Level Feature: Trap Runes
As a bonus action, you can spend sorcery points to cause a runic sigil imbued with elemental energy to form at a point you designate within hand's reach. This trap rune explodes in a 5ft burst if it is touched by any creature other than you, inflicting 3d6 (4d6 at 11th level, 5d6 at 16th level) elemental damage - this damage is chosen from the list of Acid, Cold, Fire, Lightning and Poison when you create the trap rune. Creatures caught in the explosion can attempt a Dexterity saving throw (DC 8 + your Charisma modifier + your proficiency bonus) to halve the damage taken on a successful save. It costs 2 Sorcery Points to create 1 trap rune, and it remains in place for eight hours or until triggered, whichever comes first.

14th Level Feature: Arcane Ambusher
You no longer provoke opportunity attacks whilst moving through the space of an enemy creature.

18th Level Feature: Mineghost
You gain the Earth Glide racial trait. This is a Burrow speed equivalent to your default movement speed, but benefiting from any class-based improvements to movement speed. Unlike a normal Burrow speed, you do not displace the earth you are moving through, instead passing through it as though you were ethereal.

Shadow_in_the_Mist
2017-03-19, 12:00 AM
Alright, Zeek0 has been offering me some critique on these subclass ideas and, due to problems with their connection, I need to post their critique myself before responding to it. I'm leaving out the comments they made on the Warmage because I never really solidified what I wanted out of that anyway; it was basically supposed to be a "more blasty" Sorcerer, sort of the Evoker analogue, but in the end I'm not sure if it warrants existing.

Coldheart:
On Herald of Winter:

Both this and the preceding feature make the class seem like an unarmed melee combatant, which it isn’t (not enough defense). Furthermore, doing Cold damage equal to your level makes it so your unarmed strikes do, on average, 4x the amount as your fellow monk.

Point. I basically ran into a very big "so, just what can an icy mage do that's interesting, anyway?" and that's where the idea of being able to freeze with a touch came into being.

On Bringer of Blizzards:

How big a fire? Campfire? Bonfire? Housefire? Flames of Hell? Magical fire?
This is an extreme amount of damage. The amount of damage you will deal with this will far outstrip the damage you deal with a cantrip on your turn.
And, again, this subclass doesn’t have the defensive chops to be taking hits on purpose so it can deal extra damage.

Honestly? I'd say any non-magical fire outside of the most extreme. You could douse a housefire, but you couldn't quench a volcano singlehandedly.

And, yeah, maybe I got the wrong handle on how much bonus cold damage to give them...

Greenblood:
On Sap In The Blood:

Both of these are extremely circumstantial.

On Seed of Rebirth:

I don’t think that granting a 5th level spell with rider effects is quite as good as the usual capstone.

Yeah... this was, honestly, one of the Sorcerers I struggled with the most. Subclasses aren't really my area of expertise; I'm good at base concepts, but not the refinement that is required for good class features. I desperately need help rewriting this one from the ground up, I think.

Rotheart:
On the subclass as a whole:

It might be fun to reflect on the positive notions of decay, in that it breaks down the old so it can feed the new. Taken as a philosophy, it means that the old (governments, systems, etc.) must die as a natural event to make way for what comes next.

On Fueled By Rot:

I haven’t done any numbers, but I have a strong intuition that this would throw out of whack any and all resource management done by sorcerers. Also, that's another unarmed strike benefit where it really doesn’t fit.

Well, to be fair, you still need actual corpses to give you some, and I'm pretty sure a lot of people actually complain about how uneffective the Sorcerer class generally is with its sorcery points - much like how many complaints about the Way of 4 Elements Monk stem from the fact that most of its unique ki powers drain far too much from its ki reserve, which is far too small and recharges far too slowly to make them feasible.

As for the unarmed strike benefit... it was essentially a purely flavorful ribbon. A bonus to tie into the character's theme.

On Lord of Writhing Legions:

And Speak with Plants spell?

Yes.

On Avatar of Hunger Eternal:

More awkward unarmed strikes made by sorcerers.

Cosmic Soul:
On Heavenly Mantle:

I like this feature as a whole. But keep in mind that the low cost and non-concentration duration means that the sorcerer will keep it active for most all battles. I don’t think that this feature will be used until 6th level – most damage at this level is from daggers and bludgeons, not creatures that deal psychic, radiant, or cold damage./QUOTE]

It's essentially the exact same cost and duration as the Dragon Sorcerer's damage resistance feature, so that's no problem.

As for it maybe coming in too early... perhaps, but really I had no better ideas for a low-level feature.

On Shield of the Skies:
[QUOTE]The moon aspect for this feature is too powerful.

Any suggestions on how to turn it down or for a better idea to use in its place?

On Veil of the Firmament:

This is an awful lot. This doubles your damage output each round, not taking into account the possibility of multiple enemies.

I can see where you're coming from. Can you suggest a better damage formula?

I think that you should keep the adjacent damage in the Sun section, so that it keeps the ideals separate.

It's actually taken from the 4e Cosmic Soul Sorcerer's ability, as memory recalls. Still, I'm not averse to diversifying; I had some real struggles with adapting these as a rule.

This almost doubles your movement speed. Is this intended? Can you teleport as a Dash action?

Um... how are you reading it that way? You get one Movement Action per round, and this is letting you teleport instead of taking a normal move, which it explicitly states. So, it's either move normally, complete with dashing to double your move, or teleport a distance that may actually be lower than you could have walked.

On Nudge The Orrery:

All spells? What about cantrips? This damage seems dangerously high. It’s like adding 6d6 to every spell cast, including cantrips.

Really good, but appropriate for the level. Possibly redundant with Heightened Spell.

How many sorcerer spells deal radiant damage? Also, any wisdom/charisma save? 5 feet might not usually matter, but what if you are on a cliff’s edge?

I'm not actually sure of that myself. No, it's an automatic feature; this is near peak-character level feature territory, I thought it was okay to get a bit strong. Also... You're level 18. Dropping someone off of a cliff isn't really that a big a deal, especially given how most creatures at that level tend to be capable of flight or teleportation themselves.

Voidsoul:
On Gravesight:

How far away? What if I see them on the opposite hill, through a spyglass, or via a magical sensor?

As far as you can see, I guess. Say 60 feet, if I have to narrow it down?

On Open The Grave:

I’d look at the 6th level Necromancy Wizard feature. Adding some additional effects to the spell would be cool.

Hmm... possible. I don't know, I get where you're coming from, and I definitely agree, but just repeating the Wizard's version feels a little lackluster.

On Wraithform:

How long does this Wraithform last? Otherwise a great capstone.

Um... actually, I don't really have the faintest clue how long it should last.

Arcanist:
On Font of Spells:

Does this include ritual casting?

Depends; are there any Sorcerer spells that have the Ritual trait? What this is doing is expanding your spell library. You have more possible spells to use at a time than a normal sorcerer would, but you're still just a sorcerer and so can only learn Sorcerer type spells.

On Essence Incarnate:

Incorporeal Movement is a trait detailed in the MM, a text not always available to players. Perhaps it would be easy enough to simply outline it here?

That sounds fair enough, sure, makes sense.

zeek0
2017-03-20, 10:22 AM
Stars: Once per turn, you can use your Move Action to teleport (base speed + 5 * Charisma modifier, mininum of 5) feet in a direction that you choose.

This almost doubles your movement speed. Is this intended? Can you teleport as a Dash action?

Um... how are you reading it that way? You get one Movement Action per round, and this is letting you teleport instead of taking a normal move, which it explicitly states. So, it's either move normally, complete with dashing to double your move, or teleport a distance that may actually be lower than you could have walked.

First, it seems that you can teleport 55 feet by using your movement action (30 + (5 * 5)).

In 5e this gets tricky. Movement actions don't exist, you just get movement on your turn. And base speed doesn't exist, you just have your movement.

The Dash action doubles your speed in a given turn. So, using this feature you can teleport ~85 feet in a turn. This might be acceptable - I'm just letting you know what your features fully imply.

Sun: Spells you cast that inflict Fire or Radiant damage gain bonus damage equal to your Sorcerer level.

All spells? What about cantrips? This damage seems dangerously high. It’s like adding 6d6 to every spell cast, including cantrips.

I'm not actually sure of that myself. No, it's an automatic feature; this is near peak-character level feature territory, I thought it was okay to get a bit strong. Also... You're level 18. Dropping someone off of a cliff isn't really that a big a deal, especially given how most creatures at that level tend to be capable of flight or teleportation themselves.

I concede your point about pushing creatures.

I still believe the damage is wonky. The problem becomes this: a sorcerer has a number of spells, some of which are high damage, and some of which are low. This extra damage increases a 9th level spell by a mere 12%, but increases a 2nd level spell by 150%. It's like having empowered spell on every spell, but it super-charges spells cast at a lower level.

I think that many of my comments here and elsewhere were simply about formalizing the concepts. Questions like "how long?", "how far?", and "in what way?" are likely to be asked by any DM or player presented with this material.

Again, good work. I don't think that I'll reply to everything; some of the threads I picked at you'll have to mend yourself.