PDA

View Full Version : Trying to maximize Sneak Attack

Buufreak
2017-02-28, 02:10 PM
Assume all sources but magazines (compendium is allowed), gestalted character, with the best of level assumption kicked into overdrive. Thus, stacking 2 classes that would get SA every other level would combine to gain it every level. Also looking for feats and gear to further boost SA.

What is the highest we can get this precision damage, all things above considered?

Venger
2017-02-28, 02:19 PM
Assume all sources but magazines (compendium is allowed), gestalted character, with the best of level assumption kicked into overdrive. Thus, stacking 2 classes that would get SA every other level would combine to gain it every level. Also looking for feats and gear to further boost SA.

What is the highest we can get this precision damage, all things above considered?

the list of stuff (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1412.0) will serve as a useful jumping off point, collecting most sources of precision damage. you should probably be able to break 20d6 by the end without too much trouble

Buufreak
2017-02-28, 02:21 PM
the list of stuff (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1412.0) will serve as a useful jumping off point, collecting most sources of precision damage. you should probably be able to break 20d6 by the end without too much trouble

I knew there had to be a list/handbook somewhere! My google skills are still very lacking, it seems. Much obliged!

Still open to suggestions, in case this list missed anything.

thethird
2017-02-28, 02:23 PM
A gestalt character follows a similar procedure when he attains 2nd and subsequent levels. Each time he gains a new level, he chooses two classes, takes the best aspects of each, and applies them to his characteristics. A few caveats apply, however.

Class features that two classes share (such as uncanny dodge) accrue at the rate of the faster class.

Is the gestalt rule against stacking shared class features (sneak attack) waived?

ExLibrisMortis
2017-02-28, 02:34 PM
Assassin's Stance + high CL on hunter's eye + nightstalker's transformation + levels in whatever provides SA. A basic build with something like rogue 15/[five classes with 1d6 SA at first level]//wizard 5/unseen seer 10/red wizard 5 gets you something like 22d6 base SA (8d6 rogue, 2d6 stance, 5x1d6 misc. class, 3d6 nightstalker, 4d6 unseen seer) and a CL of 45 for divinations (40 base through Circle Magic, +3 unseen seer, +2 red wizard) before further boosts, for a total SA of 37d6. Needless to say, very serious CL optimization can inflate your sneak attack to a few billion d6 or beyond.

Fouredged Sword
2017-02-28, 02:35 PM
With a really permissive DM you could stack those feats that merge two classes for various progressions. I'm pretty sure you can stack rogue and fighter, meaning you can go Rogue 20 // x / Sneak attack fighter 19 and get 39 levels of rogue progression and an additional 10 die of sneak attack for a total of 30 some die.

I may be remembering the feat wrong. I think it's in complete scoundrel, and I can't remember the name at the moment.

Another option would be rogue / ninja // monk to get more than full sneak attack and sudden strike progression.

Flickerdart
2017-02-28, 02:39 PM
Rogue 1/Spellthief 1/SA Fighter 1/Psionic Rogue/etc on both sides gets you 40d6 SA.

Buufreak
2017-02-28, 02:43 PM
Is the gestalt rule against stacking shared class features (sneak attack) waived?

The trick here is go rogue 1//x 1 for first level, then for 2nd get something other than x that builds SA every other level, much like rogue does. So you are never gaining +1d6 SA twice at the same level, so they aren't "shared" at any given level."

Assassin's Stance + high CL on hunter's eye + nightstalker's transformation + levels in whatever provides SA. A basic build with something like rogue 15/[five classes with 1d6 SA at first level]//wizard 5/unseen seer 10/red wizard 5 gets you something like 22d6 base SA (8d6 rogue, 2d6 stance, 5x1d6 misc. class, 3d6 nightstalker, 4d6 unseen seer) and a CL of 45 for divinations (40 base through Circle Magic, +3 unseen seer, +2 red wizard) before further boosts, for a total SA of 37d6. Needless to say, very serious CL optimization can inflate your sneak attack to a few billion d6 or beyond.

Digging this. Definitely the caster way to go. Any ideas on strictly mundane build? It is for my wife, and she can sometimes be allergic to magic.

With a really permissive DM you could stack those feats that merge two classes for various progressions. I'm pretty sure you can stack rogue and fighter, meaning you can go Rogue 20 // x / Sneak attack fighter 19 and get 39 levels of rogue progression and an additional 10 die of sneak attack for a total of 30 some die.

I may be remembering the feat wrong. I think it's in complete scoundrel, and I can't remember the name at the moment.

Another option would be rogue / ninja // monk to get more than full sneak attack and sudden strike progression.

Yea, that sounds like it would fall under the stacking rule, I'm afraid.

Vizzerdrix
2017-02-28, 02:43 PM
Rogue 1/Spellthief 1/SA Fighter 1/Psionic Rogue/etc on both sides gets you 40d6 SA.

Higher, if the generic classes are allowed (their SA starts at 2d6)

martixy
2017-02-28, 02:44 PM
Somewhat out of the bounds of the assignment... There is, to my knowledge, one way and one way only to actually alter the sneak attack dice, from a d6 to a d8, by being a Mythic Shadow.
In general this does require you to be epic, but the non-epic variant from the same article grants you said benefit at L12.

ExLibrisMortis
2017-02-28, 02:52 PM
The Lists of Stuff mention 24 classes with 1d6 SA/SS at first level. One only works with war slings, another only with daggers, one is nonlethal only, and so on. On the other hand, the SA fighter is missing. Overall, I'm pretty sure you can't go beyond ~30d6 sneak attack with only class features. Part of the difficulty is that there are only four base classes with first-level SA on the list, plus the ninja with 1d6 SS. After you've struggled through that, qualifying for all those PrCs will likely involve a lot of shifting allegiances, some between different cosmologies (Dread Fang of Lolth vs. Justiciar of Taiia).