PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Calculating CR for a creature with Damage Reduction

Cap'm Bubbles
2017-02-28, 02:53 PM
I'm having trouble figuring out how much effective health a creature would have while possessing the damage reduction feature, which seems to be a rare enough feature that there's no explicit recommendation in the DMG. It exists, as per Heavy Armor Master, but I'm not sure if it should be treated as on par with a damage resistance or immunity modifier, especially if the reduction is closer to 10 or 20 than 3.
:smallconfused:Anyone have any experience or recommendations with this?

The_Jette
2017-02-28, 03:04 PM
Honestly, there's no cut and paste way of figuring out what kind of added difficulty DR would contribute. It all depends on the situation. If you're in a huge brawl, with a few creatures that all have DR it's going to be different than a one on four fight, where the whole team is ganging up on one heavy brute, and completely different than if the mage and cleric are trying to hold their own against a creature with DR while the fighter holds up the ceiling and the rogue tries to figure out a way to disarm the trap that is slowly going to crush the party. Honestly, if you're creating homebrew creatures with DR, I don't see why adjusting the creature's CR the same as the Heavy Armor Master would be a problem. It's a small bonus given all the time instead of a larger bonus that only triggers occasionally.