PDA

View Full Version : Forum lingo

KumaBozu
2017-02-28, 03:29 PM
Is there a source for all of the lingo and jargon used on the forums? I just joined the other day and I'm probably missing a lot of information because I'm not getting it.

For starters, what does gish mean?

Hamste
2017-02-28, 03:35 PM
Here is a link to a thread from 2008 (most of it still applies though this was before 4e apparently).

Common Acronyms Abbreviations and Terms (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?18512-Common-Acronyms-Abbreviations-and-Terms)

Ninja_Prawn
2017-03-01, 04:12 AM

Usage does change though. For example, there's been a lot of talk about gishes lately in 5e (largely thanks to the Warlock UA), and it seems that the term no longer implies a multiclass build. More often, people are interested in single-classed gishes nowadays.

Capt Spanner
2017-03-01, 05:32 AM
Usage does change though. For example, there's been a lot of talk about gishes lately in 5e (largely thanks to the Warlock UA), and it seems that the term no longer implies a multiclass build. More often, people are interested in single-classed gishes nowadays.

I also see that it has "ninja'd" there. These days ninjas seem to have been entirely supplanted by swordsages on these fora.

Rawhide
2017-03-01, 08:40 AM
I also see that it has "ninja'd" there. These days ninjas seem to have been entirely supplanted by swordsages on these fora.

Blake'd, if you're in a RWBY thread.

Rockphed
2017-03-01, 01:05 PM

In my experience, "ninjaed" still shows up from time to time. I cannot think the last time somebody said "swordsaged" in a thread I was reading.

DataNinja
2017-03-01, 01:16 PM
In my experience, "ninjaed" still shows up from time to time. I cannot think the last time somebody said "swordsaged" in a thread I was reading.

It really depends on the subforum/context you're in. Generally it'll just be whatever stealthy reference is relevant to the current thread.

137beth
2017-03-01, 01:21 PM
It really depends on the subforum/context you're in. Generally it'll just be whatever stealthy reference is relevant to the current thread.

Pretty much. In the 3.5 forum, swordsaged is more common, because it's a stealth-friendly 3.5 class. In another forum, something else will be more common.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-03-01, 01:34 PM
Pretty much. In the 3.5 forum, swordsaged is more common, because it's a stealth-friendly 3.5 class. In another forum, something else will be more common.

In 5e it's usually just ninja'd, but shadowmonk'd comes up occasionally. It's basically Ninja: the Monastic Tradition.

137beth
2017-03-01, 03:25 PM
In 5e it's usually just ninja'd, but shadowmonk'd comes up occasionally. It's basically Ninja: the Monastic Tradition.

Well, you're clearly biased, given that you have "Ninja" in your name:smalltongue:

Rockphed
2017-03-01, 03:59 PM
For starters, what does gish mean?

I'm not sure that "Board Site Issues" is actually the appropriate forum for asking all questions you have about things. It might be more appropriate to just ask in threads that use the lingo or to start threads in places you want to ask about the lingo. It is, after all, against the rules to mock people just for being new and not knowing the local customs.

That said, we never answered this question: A gish is an RPG character that has both magic and physical means of fighting. E.g. a fighter who can shoot off fireballs.

SaintRidley
2017-03-01, 04:38 PM
I'm not sure that "Board Site Issues" is actually the appropriate forum for asking all questions you have about things. It might be more appropriate to just ask in threads that use the lingo or to start threads in places you want to ask about the lingo. It is, after all, against the rules to mock people just for being new and not knowing the local customs.

That said, we never answered this question: A gish is an RPG character that has both magic and physical means of fighting. E.g. a fighter who can shoot off fireballs.

Addendum - A gish is named such because in the fiction of D&D that's what Githyanki call their warrior-mages in their language.

Roland St. Jude
2017-03-01, 05:23 PM
Sheriff: I'd recommend checking the list linked above, asking in the thread where it comes up, or using the search engine of your choice. I'm going to close this now so it doesn't become the new "what's this mean?" thread.