PDA

View Full Version : Inspirational Fighter

Afgncaap5
2017-02-28, 03:29 PM
In general terms, how would you represent a character who's very capable at wielding martial or exotic weapons, but is also very capable at rousing large crowds and playing instruments beautifully?

I've been representing this character in my notes without any classes so far, but I was wondering how people here might go about it. Suddenly gaining the approval of a large crowd wouldn't necessarily require the abilities of a Bard or Marshal or Paladin, but I can see it helping. Similarly, being well-versed in various swords and combat techniques wouldn't necessarily require a Fighter or Swordsage or Warblade (or, uh... Paladin again), but I could see those helping as well.

Zaq
2017-02-28, 03:32 PM
Sounds like a basic Bardblade build to me, just offhand.

Dagroth
2017-02-28, 03:34 PM
In general terms, how would you represent a character who's very capable at wielding martial or exotic weapons, but is also very capable at rousing large crowds and playing instruments beautifully?

I've been representing this character in my notes without any classes so far, but I was wondering how people here might go about it. Suddenly gaining the approval of a large crowd wouldn't necessarily require the abilities of a Bard or Marshal or Paladin, but I can see it helping. Similarly, being well-versed in various swords and combat techniques wouldn't necessarily require a Fighter or Swordsage or Warblade (or, uh... Paladin again), but I could see those helping as well.

If you want weird... the Gladiator class from Other Suns does everything you ask but playing instruments.

weckar
2017-02-28, 04:11 PM
Marshal/Warblade with EWP?

Telonius
2017-02-28, 04:12 PM
Yeah, Bardblade or Bardsader with Melodic Casting and Song of the White Raven sounds about right to me. (With those two feats you can substitute a Perform check whenever you'd need a Concentration check, so it makes it easier on the skill points for any of the "substitute Concentration check for save" maneuvers).

If you're looking for weird weapons, one level of Master of Masks will get you the gladiator mask, and proficiency in everything.

Thurbane
2017-02-28, 07:30 PM
As well as the suggestions above, Warrior Skald PrC (RoF p.186) seems like a decent option. Entry is pretty straightforward, but you will need a source to get Perform as a class skill.

etrpgb
2017-03-01, 05:00 AM
Or, more direct: Warblade/20. Just focus a bit with the White Raven school.

Inevitability
2017-03-01, 05:01 AM
Ask your DM if Perform (Weapon Drill) can be houseruled to work with bardic music.

I believe there's also a fighter substitution level that gets Perform (Dance).

weckar
2017-03-01, 05:26 AM
Ask your DM if Perform (Weapon Drill) can be houseruled to work with bardic music.
Does this require a houserule at all? I thought any perform skill could be used. One of my characters even once used the perform-skill-that-shall-not-be-named....

etrpgb
2017-03-01, 05:34 AM
Does this require a houserule at all? I thought any perform skill could be used. One of my characters even once used the perform-skill-that-shall-not-be-named....

I have no idea of what the not-named thingy is... however, yes.

A bard cannot use Perform (weapon drill) checks to perform his bardic music abilities (inspire courage, fascinate, and so on)
It's at the very end of the description of the skill.

Inevitability
2017-03-01, 11:00 AM
I have no idea of what the not-named thingy is... however, yes.

Perform (Sexual Act), I suppose. It's in the BoEF.