PDA

View Full Version : Bursting out of someone's chest like an alien

sir_argo
2017-02-28, 09:05 PM
Cast Nystul's Magic Aura on your friend and change his creature type to "Plant". For an even better effect, do this every day for 30 days to make the effect "until dispelled"

Now a druid walks up to a Large, inanimate plant such as a large oak tree and casts "Transport via Plant", creating a link between that oak tree and your friend who can be anywhere on the same plane of existence. For 1 round, you and anybody else near you, walk into the oak tree and come extruding out of your friend's chest.

I think anybody on the other end should be forced to make a save or stand there stunned in disbelief.

Atalas
2017-02-28, 11:36 PM
and here I was thinking this post was gonna be some Enlarge/Reduce + Polymorph shenanigans.

yeah, I think hat should invoke a Wisdom save. Though, if its a high level spellcaster, they should maybe get advantage.

baticeer
2017-03-01, 01:54 AM
I love the mental image but I don't think Nystul's Magic Aura works like that. It says you change an aura for the purpose of divination magic, basically making it so you can't be detected as a particular creature type, it doesn't actually transform you into that type. Your friend is still a humanoid, he just appears to be a plant for the purpose of abilities that sense what type of creature he is.

Steampunkette
2017-03-01, 02:11 AM
I love the mental image but I don't think Nystul's Magic Aura works like that. It says you change an aura for the purpose of divination magic, basically making it so you can't be detected as a particular creature type, it doesn't actually transform you into that type. Your friend is still a humanoid, he just appears to be a plant for the purpose of abilities that sense what type of creature he is.

That may be the intent, but as written...

"You choose a creature type and other spells and magical effects treat the target as if it were a creature of that type or of that alignment."

Is more encompassing than the framing statement. A lenient DM might allow it to fool all magic, rather than just divination, based on that entry. It would certainly make it a more useful spell!

Cespenar
2017-03-01, 05:40 AM
Mask. You change the way the target appears to spells and magical effects that detect creature types, such as a paladin’s Divine Sense or the trigger of a symbol spell. You choose a creature type and other spells and magical effects treat the target as if it were a creature of that type or of that alignment.

If you're just reading the second sentence, you're omitting part of the rules. First sentence makes that clear.

baticeer
2017-03-01, 08:36 AM
if Magic Aura actually changes your creature type then you can do some weird and crazy stuff with it.

Examples: Party fights a giant. The wizard uses Magic Aura to change its creature type to undead. The cleric Turns it.
I have a shield guardian or other construct that I command. I use Magic Aura to make it a beast. Now it's no longer immune to magical healing.

If you could do that kind of thing this spell would be transmutation, not illusion. It's primarily in the game as a spell for NPCs, to justify tricking people ("you sensed no magic but the sword was cursed!").

sir_argo
2017-03-01, 11:50 AM
if Magic Aura actually changes your creature type then you can do some weird and crazy stuff with it.

Yeah. That's kinda the point. I've ready any number of messages on this board where people get adamant that something is literal when they should be using common sense. For the record, I do not believe the spell changes your type. It only disguises it. A spell such as Symbol can effect anyone, but it looks at you and decides, will I trigger or not. Nystul's is tricking that spell into not activating. A spell such as Charm Person does not check the target before activating. It lacks the ability to effect a non-humanoid and Nystul's doesn't change that.

But like I said... mostly tongue-in-cheek, based on some of the ridiculous interpretations (though they will scream "Not interpretation! It's RAW!") I've seen around here.

MrFahrenheit
2017-03-01, 09:10 PM
Why use a spell when you can use wild shape?

Wild shape into a gnat. Enter opponent's nasal cavity. Return to normal shape (you may choose to enter the lungs before ending wild shape to stay in line with the subject line of this thread).