PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Sword of X and Y 5e Weapons

Yungbob56
2017-02-28, 10:09 PM
Hello all,
I'm working on creating some weapons for an up coming campaign I am designing.
For those of you who are familiar with Magic the Gathering, I'm looking to replicate the swords from the Mirrodin blocks from the game. I've made all of them and assigned abilities to them, most of them aren't pure damage, instead they have some very interesting abilities.
Please note that these are supposed to be extremely powerful weapons, used by the gods of my campaign before their ascension.
Let me know what you guys think!

Sword of Body and Mind
Legendary Longsword (Versatile)
Upon each successful hit of a turn, this sword glows with green energy and summons a wolf adjacent to the enemy. The wolf is under the command of the wielder and follows its commands. Lasts for 6 seconds.
The target also makes an intelligence saving throw with a DC equal to the users’. On a failed save, the target loses one of its lowest level spell slots, and stores it in the weapon. The user can use the stored spell slot to cast one of their own spells. Cannot exceed current maximum spell slot. Sword loses all charges at dawn.

Sword of Feast and Famine
Upon the first successful hit of a turn, you gain temporary hit points equal to half the amount of the damage done. You may choose to keep the previous amount of temporary hit points gained or choose the new number.
The target also makes a constitution saving throw with a DC equal to the users’. On a failed save the target has disadvantage on attack rolls for 1 round.

Sword of Fire and Ice
Upon speaking the command word, the sword ignites in flame. Resembles that of torchlight. In addition, each attack while this weapon is bound to you deals an additional 1d6 fire damage. Damage increases to 1d8 at level 5, 1d10 at level 11, and 1d12 at level 17.
The target also makes a dexterity saving throw with a DC equal to the users’. On a failure, the target is slowed for one round.

Sword of Light and Shadow
Upon the first successful hit of a turn, you heal the closest ally within 30 feet with the least amount of health remaining (can heal yourself) for half of the damage dealt.
The target also makes a wisdom saving throw with a DC equal to the users’. On a failed save, you may cast Bestow Curse on the target. (PHB 218).

Sword of War and Peace
While this item is bound to you, before each combat round you must choose between war and peace.
If you have chosen war, you gain a +5 bonus to initiative. You also gain the benefits of the Great Weapon Master feature (PHB 167). Additionally, you may use an action to charge an enemy within range (has to be 15 feet or more away), they make a dexterity saving throw against the DC of the user. On a failed save, the target is knocked prone.
If you have chosen peace, you have the ability to cast Charm Person (PHB 221) once every combat. You also gain the benefits of the War Caster feature. Also, you are able to dodge attacks in your heightened state of awareness, your armor class increases by 3. Additionally, you are looked upon fondly by the gods and their light is shed around you. Any unconscious ally within 30 feet of you has advantage on death saving throws. When an ally is stabilized while in this range, they heal for 2d10 health.
[

Sariel Vailo
2017-02-28, 11:19 PM
Hello all,
I'm working on creating some weapons for an up coming campaign I am designing.
For those of you who are familiar with Magic the Gathering, I'm looking to replicate the swords from the Mirrodin blocks from the game. I've made all of them and assigned abilities to them, most of them aren't pure damage, instead they have some very interesting abilities.
Please note that these are supposed to be extremely powerful weapons, used by the gods of my campaign before their ascension.
Let me know what you guys think!

Sword of Body and Mind
Upon each successful hit of a turn, this sword glows with green energy and summons a wolf adjacent to the enemy. The wolf is under the command of the wielder and follows its commands. Lasts for 6 seconds.
The target also makes an intelligence saving throw with a DC equal to the users’. On a failed save, the target loses one of its lowest level spell slots, and stores it in the weapon. The user can use the stored spell slot to cast one of their own spells. Cannot exceed current maximum spell slot. Sword loses all charges at dawn.

Sword of Feast and Famine
Upon the first successful hit of a turn, you gain temporary hit points equal to half the amount of the damage done. You may choose to keep the previous amount of temporary hit points gained or choose the new number.
The target also makes a constitution saving throw with a DC equal to the users’. On a failed save the target has disadvantage on attack rolls for 1 round.

Sword of Fire and Ice
Upon speaking the command word, the sword ignites in flame. Resembles that of torchlight. In addition, each attack while this weapon is bound to you deals an additional 1d6 fire damage. Damage increases to 1d8 at level 5, 1d10 at level 11, and 1d12 at level 17.
The target also makes a dexterity saving throw with a DC equal to the users’. On a failure, the target is slowed for one round.

Upon the first successful hit of a turn, you heal the closest ally within 30 feet with the least amount of health remaining (can heal yourself) for half of the damage dealt.
The target also makes a wisdom saving throw with a DC equal to the users’. On a failed save, you may cast Bestow Curse on the target. (PHB 218).

Sword of War and Peace
While this item is bound to you, before each combat round you must choose between war and peace.
If you have chosen war, you gain a +5 bonus to initiative. You also gain the benefits of the Great Weapon Master feature (PHB 167). Additionally, you may use an action to charge an enemy within range (has to be 15 feet or more away), they make a dexterity saving throw against the DC of the user. On a failed save, the target is knocked prone.
If you have chosen peace, you have the ability to cast Charm Person (PHB 221) once every combat. You also gain the benefits of the War Caster feature. Also, you are able to dodge attacks in your heightened state of awareness, your armor class increases by 3. Additionally, you are looked upon fondly by the gods and their light is shed around you. Any unconscious ally within 30 feet of you has advantage on death saving throws. When an enemy is stabilized while in this range, they heal for 2d10 health.
[

very nice yesh very fun to see these bladesagain

SilverStud
2017-03-01, 11:57 AM
So, these feel like some fun swords to have around, however they are not all made equal. Some, in fact, are not nearly powerful enough to be Legendary. Additionally, some of the language is unclear and doesn't adhere to 5e description conventions. So here's my critiques!

Sword of Body and Mind:
Summoning wolves is kinda cool, but keep in mind how many extra dice are about to be rolled here. Also, what lasts six seconds? The wolves obeying you? The wolves' existence? Do they disappear afterward? Secondly, (and this is an issue on all of them) what is the save DC of this weapon? Equal to the users' what? It sounds like you have specific characters in mind, or something. Here's how I would rewrite it:

Sword of Body and Mind
Legendary Longsword
Attunement
When you hit a creature using this weapon, a wolf appears within 5 feet of the target. The wolf acts immediately after your turn ends, and follows your verbal commands exactly. The wolf disappears as the end of the round.
Also when you hit a creature using this weapon, that creature must make an Intelligence Saving Throw vs (8 + proficiency + your Intelligence) or lose their lowest available spell slot, if they have any. The Sword gains charges equal to the level of the lost slot. You may use the charges to cast your spells, in place of your own spell slots. The sword loses all charges at the next dawn.

Sword of Feast and Famine:
I like it! It's a very cool tank weapon, and the constant stream of TempHP is worth of the Legendary status. JUST REMEMBER to specific what the heck the save DC is! From the text we have no idea.

Sword of Fire and Ice:
This one is actually pretty weak, depending on what you mean by "slowed." That term is vague and isn't a condition in 5e. Does the target lose part of its speed? Is the target unable to take reactions??
Anyway, 1d6 extra damage is super super bad for a unique used-by-the-freaking-gods weapon. It should at LEAST be 2d6, and then it is merely on par with a Rare weapon called Flame Tongue. What's with the scaling? Are they getting this at level 1? Because unless they are, you don't need to do cantrip-style scaling.
Really this thing is pretty lackluster, especially when next to some of the awesome ones (like the Feast and Famine). Give it more damage, specify the "slow" effect, and tell us the save DC.

Sword of Light and Shadow:
These effects are a little too complicated. For something to be fun, it needs to be thematic, effective, and also easy for players to use. As written, you have to determine who is the closest, and who has the lowest HP. It is super vague. If the target of the healz can be you, aren't you always the closest? Which matters more? The closeness, or the low HP?
On the Shadow half, be careful. I know that Bestow Curse doesn't LOOK super powerful at first glance, but it can be a real game changer. Plus we have no clue if the user has to provide a spell slot for the spell, so this sounds like infinite curses per day. Maybe this is what you are looking for? If "once per day" isn't what you want, consider giving the sword charges.

Legendary Longsword
Attunement
Once per round, when you damage a creature using this weapon, you may select an ally within 30 feet (or yourself). That ally (or you) regain HP equal to half the damage rolled.
Additionally, you may then choose to curse the creature you struck. The creature immediately suffers the effects of Bestow Curse. You cannot curse another creature this way until the next dawn.

Sword of War and Peace:
Where do I even start with this? Well, first of all, it is nutzo powerful. Second, Peace is objectively better than War. As written, you should always choose war for the beginning, then switch to Peace. +3 AC (especially at the levels where you get Legendary items) makes you incredibly difficult to hit. The advantage on death saves for allies is cool, but how come they don't get the same healing as enemies?????? The whole "heal your enemy" thing is pretty weird too, since most monsters just die at 0 HP. Even most bosses just die at 0 HP.
I'd recommend War and Peace granting like 1 different bonus, and the sword in general allows you to cast Haste or something. There's just too much happening, and suddenly you've got people frantically flipping through their books to verify what exactly the War Caster feature does, and what the GWM feat is, and blah and blah. Too much.

Yungbob56
2017-03-01, 01:14 PM
So, these feel like some fun swords to have around, however they are not all made equal. Some, in fact, are not nearly powerful enough to be Legendary. Additionally, some of the language is unclear and doesn't adhere to 5e description conventions. So here's my critiques!

Sword of Body and Mind:
Summoning wolves is kinda cool, but keep in mind how many extra dice are about to be rolled here. Also, what lasts six seconds? The wolves obeying you? The wolves' existence? Do they disappear afterward? Secondly, (and this is an issue on all of them) what is the save DC of this weapon? Equal to the users' what? It sounds like you have specific characters in mind, or something. Here's how I would rewrite it:

Sword of Body and Mind
Legendary Longsword
Attunement
When you hit a creature using this weapon, a wolf appears within 5 feet of the target. The wolf acts immediately after your turn ends, and follows your verbal commands exactly. The wolf disappears as the end of the round.
Also when you hit a creature using this weapon, that creature must make an Intelligence Saving Throw vs (8 + proficiency + your Intelligence) or lose their lowest available spell slot, if they have any. The Sword gains charges equal to the level of the lost slot. You may use the charges to cast your spells, in place of your own spell slots. The sword loses all charges at the next dawn.

Sword of Feast and Famine:
I like it! It's a very cool tank weapon, and the constant stream of TempHP is worth of the Legendary status. JUST REMEMBER to specific what the heck the save DC is! From the text we have no idea.

Sword of Fire and Ice:
This one is actually pretty weak, depending on what you mean by "slowed." That term is vague and isn't a condition in 5e. Does the target lose part of its speed? Is the target unable to take reactions??
Anyway, 1d6 extra damage is super super bad for a unique used-by-the-freaking-gods weapon. It should at LEAST be 2d6, and then it is merely on par with a Rare weapon called Flame Tongue. What's with the scaling? Are they getting this at level 1? Because unless they are, you don't need to do cantrip-style scaling.
Really this thing is pretty lackluster, especially when next to some of the awesome ones (like the Feast and Famine). Give it more damage, specify the "slow" effect, and tell us the save DC.

Sword of Light and Shadow:
These effects are a little too complicated. For something to be fun, it needs to be thematic, effective, and also easy for players to use. As written, you have to determine who is the closest, and who has the lowest HP. It is super vague. If the target of the healz can be you, aren't you always the closest? Which matters more? The closeness, or the low HP?
On the Shadow half, be careful. I know that Bestow Curse doesn't LOOK super powerful at first glance, but it can be a real game changer. Plus we have no clue if the user has to provide a spell slot for the spell, so this sounds like infinite curses per day. Maybe this is what you are looking for? If "once per day" isn't what you want, consider giving the sword charges.

Legendary Longsword
Attunement
Once per round, when you damage a creature using this weapon, you may select an ally within 30 feet (or yourself). That ally (or you) regain HP equal to half the damage rolled.
Additionally, you may then choose to curse the creature you struck. The creature immediately suffers the effects of Bestow Curse. You cannot curse another creature this way until the next dawn.

Sword of War and Peace:
Where do I even start with this? Well, first of all, it is nutzo powerful. Second, Peace is objectively better than War. As written, you should always choose war for the beginning, then switch to Peace. +3 AC (especially at the levels where you get Legendary items) makes you incredibly difficult to hit. The advantage on death saves for allies is cool, but how come they don't get the same healing as enemies?????? The whole "heal your enemy" thing is pretty weird too, since most monsters just die at 0 HP. Even most bosses just die at 0 HP.
I'd recommend War and Peace granting like 1 different bonus, and the sword in general allows you to cast Haste or something. There's just too much happening, and suddenly you've got people frantically flipping through their books to verify what exactly the War Caster feature does, and what the GWM feat is, and blah and blah. Too much.

First of all, thank you for the reply! I've been wanting another set of eyes of these for a while so I appreciate it.
Sword of Body and Mind:
Your wording is better than mine. The idea is that a spectral kind of wolf shows up for a round and attacks once and then disappear, but you can summon multiple (one for each hit).
The second part, when I say the DC is equal to the users', I mean its equal to the users DC, whatever that may be. I might be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that every class has a determined spell casting ability. Again, I might be mistaken.

Sword of Fire and Ice
Originally it was much mire powerful, but I had someone else look at it and tell me that it was way too powerful. The slowed effect was changed from actually being paralyzed for 1 round. Slowed is basically similar to the 5e spell, half movement speed, can only take and action or bonus action, not both. I like the idea of it actually paralyzingly them for a round, basically encased in ice. Paralyzed effects are pretty good. I'm just not sure if being able to paralyze someone every turn is too good. Might have to add charges to that.
As far as the damage goes, I agree. I was really hoping I could find something other than straight damage for this, but it was really hard considering fire is pretty predictible It's gonna burn things, and its gonna hurt. Doesn't hurt enough in this circumstance, so maybe it should just be another d12? Basically another damage dice I think would be good.
I like the changes you made to Light and Shadow. The original idea is that the lowest health took priority as long as they were within 30 feet.
Lastly, I really struggled with this one. The original Magic card in question makes it hard to translate into D&D so I spent a lot of time working on this. I thought that the AC bonus might have been a bit much, just wanted to see what other people thought, I'll probably change it to a +1, maybe 2. The "heal your enemy" thing is a total typo and I have no idea how that slipped through the cracks. It definitely is supposed to be an ally, my bad! As far as the feats that are provided by the sword, I really like the idea of that. I'm not too worried about players wondering what exactly they do, I have a steel trap memory when it comes to that kind of stuff. I like the idea of haste, Ill have to tool around with this for a little bit to see what I like.

Thanks again for the reply and critique. Let me know if you think of anything else you might change!