PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Gotta Go Fast: The Grand Race Challenge

Matrota
2017-03-01, 10:47 AM
A friend of mine recently got inspired by JJBA Part 7, Steel Ball Run, and is making a campaign based around a similar concept. Posting this here both to get some build ideas and to have some fun with it.

The setting is a race across an entire continent, 16,000 miles long. Starting ecl 10 with 48,800 starting gold. 3.5e. All official books and dragon mags available.

Rules:

You must have some form of transportation. This includes mounts, carriages, or even your own feet if you're confident enough in your own movespeed.

No sabotaging other contestants directly during the race. This includes attacking or casting spells on a racer or their mount.

You may create obstacles freely, however. Walls of x, grease, non-deadly traps etc. are all allowed. The only limitation is that you may not harm other contestants, even indirectly.

Flying is banned.

Teleportation is banned.

Planar travel is banned.

No outside help.

May take shortcuts but the safest path will determined by the race hosts. Checkpoints provided medical supplies, food and drink, mail, and sponsorships.

khadgar567
2017-03-01, 10:50 AM
is pathfinder okay for resource cuz i might join this with experimental build of some sort?

Inevitability
2017-03-01, 10:57 AM
Be a cloistered cleric 10. Take the Artifice and Creation domains. Use Substitute Domain to swap Knowledge out for Spider. Take Iron Will and Reserves of Strength. Take Domain Spontaneity (Spider).

You can now create a semi-real arachnid mount that moves at a speed of 1280 feet per round, doesn't ever tire, and takes only a single 3rd-level slot per 10 hours to maintain. Bodies of water, sandy, muddy or marshy ground do not slow it down either.

If my math is correct, you'll make it across the continent in roughly 4 days and 14 hours.

Matrota
2017-03-01, 11:00 AM
is pathfinder okay for resource cuz i might join this with experimental build of some sort?

Sure, go ahead! Just preface it with being a pathfinder build maybe so people don't get confused?

khadgar567
2017-03-01, 11:44 AM
Sure, go ahead! Just preface it with being a pathfinder build maybe so people don't get confused?
thanks but its bit experimental.

Matrota
2017-03-01, 11:46 AM
You can now create a semi-real arachnid mount that moves at a speed of 1280 feet per round

Isn't the max speed for phantom steed 240 feet per round?

Inevitability
2017-03-01, 11:58 AM
Isn't the max speed for phantom steed 240 feet per round?

Its speed (different from speed per round) would normally cap at 240, yes. However, Reserves of Strength allows one to break that cap, giving us a speed of 320 feet (or, depending on interpretation, 300 feet). The steed then takes the run action, allowing it to move 1280 (or 1200) feet in a single round.

ATHATH
2017-03-01, 12:01 PM
Can this ECL 15 build (ignore the "Any 6" bit) get an honorable mention or something?

SorO_Lost's Pale Master Build:

Alignment/Race: Any
Class: Dread Necromancer 8 / Pale Master 7 / Any 6
Feats: Tomb-Tainted Soul, Skill Focus[k-religion].
Skills: K-Religion 8.
Items: Schiver (30,000), +5 Robe of the Vagabond of Resistance (26,000gp), +6 Empyreal Bracers of Armor (64,000k), +1 Parry Gauntlet (8,302gp), Boots of Mountaineering (26,000gp), Ioun Stone[Pale Green Prism] (30,000gp), Scroll of Contingency (1,650gp), Scroll of Dimensional Door (700gp).
Other: has +16 to saves.
Hook: "I hate Beguilers, they make crappy undead minions."
Pretty simplistic and straight forward, it's meant to show even Dread Necros have cool things too.

Immunity to Damage
Use your scrolls and strap your self into the Schiver. It's a soul torturing machine out of FCII, for each round in the machine you take 2d20 damage and have to make a DC 15+(dmg/5) Fort/Will Save. Failure and you pass out, triggering your contingency and teleporting out. It takes five full-round escape artist checks to escape from it normally which can be performed by anyone but if performed by you then you need to make a DC 20 concentration check to (just use your intelligent undead for aid other). You need to successfully complete four rounds for Regeneration 1/Good & Chaotic but you can gain up to nine rounds of benefits which include Immunity to Shakened/Frightened/Panic, Sicken/Nauseated, Confusion, Fatigue/Exhaustion, basically the Die Hard Feat, +2 to Will, Regeneration 5/Good & Chaotic, 1/day CL5 Barksin SLA, and you can attempt to hijack any Cure Spell's target within 100ft.

Anyway, with the Regeneration all nongood & nonchaotic damage dealt to you becomes nonlethal. The 7th level ability of Pale Master, Tough as Bone, gives you immunity to nonlethal damage. Ergo if it's not Good & Chaotic damage you're immune to it. Not bad for losing a single caster level eh?

Sit on a pile of powerful explosives (some antimatter osmium (osmium antimatter? I forget which way around that should go) should do the trick). Get blasted across the continent. Win.

I think a normal regenerating creature without the Pale Master's immunity to nonlethal damage might work as well, although you'd be unconscious for quite a while.

If you don't have access to really powerful explosives, just raise some really strong creature (like one of those festering rage builds or something) as an undead creature and have it chuck you across the planet. Actually, why not just PLAY a festering rage build and chuck YOURSELF across the planet?

Matrota
2017-03-01, 12:03 PM
Its speed (different from speed per round) would normally cap at 240, yes. However, Reserves of Strength allows one to break that cap, giving us a speed of 320 feet (or, depending on interpretation, 300 feet). The steed then takes the run action, allowing it to move 1280 (or 1200) feet in a single round.

Ah, that makes a lot more sense. Thanks for clarifying!

khadgar567
2017-03-01, 12:22 PM
Can this ECL 15 build (ignore the "Any 6" bit) get an honorable mention or something?

SorO_Lost's Pale Master Build:

Alignment/Race: Any
Class: Dread Necromancer 8 / Pale Master 7 / Any 6
Feats: Tomb-Tainted Soul, Skill Focus[k-religion].
Skills: K-Religion 8.
Items: Schiver (30,000), +5 Robe of the Vagabond of Resistance (26,000gp), +6 Empyreal Bracers of Armor (64,000k), +1 Parry Gauntlet (8,302gp), Boots of Mountaineering (26,000gp), Ioun Stone[Pale Green Prism] (30,000gp), Scroll of Contingency (1,650gp), Scroll of Dimensional Door (700gp).
Other: has +16 to saves.
Hook: "I hate Beguilers, they make crappy undead minions."
Pretty simplistic and straight forward, it's meant to show even Dread Necros have cool things too.

Immunity to Damage
Use your scrolls and strap your self into the Schiver. It's a soul torturing machine out of FCII, for each round in the machine you take 2d20 damage and have to make a DC 15+(dmg/5) Fort/Will Save. Failure and you pass out, triggering your contingency and teleporting out. It takes five full-round escape artist checks to escape from it normally which can be performed by anyone but if performed by you then you need to make a DC 20 concentration check to (just use your intelligent undead for aid other). You need to successfully complete four rounds for Regeneration 1/Good & Chaotic but you can gain up to nine rounds of benefits which include Immunity to Shakened/Frightened/Panic, Sicken/Nauseated, Confusion, Fatigue/Exhaustion, basically the Die Hard Feat, +2 to Will, Regeneration 5/Good & Chaotic, 1/day CL5 Barksin SLA, and you can attempt to hijack any Cure Spell's target within 100ft.

Anyway, with the Regeneration all nongood & nonchaotic damage dealt to you becomes nonlethal. The 7th level ability of Pale Master, Tough as Bone, gives you immunity to nonlethal damage. Ergo if it's not Good & Chaotic damage you're immune to it. Not bad for losing a single caster level eh?

Sit on a pile of powerful explosives (some antimatter osmium (osmium antimatter? I forget which way around that should go) should do the trick). Get blasted across the continent. Win.

I think a normal regenerating creature without the Pale Master's immunity to nonlethal damage might work as well, although you'd be unconscious for quite a while.

If you don't have access to really powerful explosives, just raise some really strong creature (like one of those festering rage builds or something) as an undead creature and have it chuck you across the planet. Actually, why not just PLAY a festering rage build and chuck YOURSELF across the planet?
no flying and teleport mate your build uses both to move at the rate you want

ATHATH
2017-03-01, 01:46 PM
no flying and teleport mate your build uses both to move at the rate you want
???

What am I doing that counts as flying and/or teleporting?

ATHATH
2017-03-01, 01:49 PM
Oh, the Contingent Dimension Door. You can skip out on that and risk dying, if you want. Or you could just get another source of regen.

daremetoidareyo
2017-03-01, 02:08 PM
Be immune to sonic and electricity and use the locate city bomb to blast yourself miles per level per round?

IcarusWulfe
2017-03-01, 02:29 PM
Wasn't there a build made a while back that consisted of a Warforged capable of exceeding the speed of light? I believe it was called "Chuck E. Cheese".

Troacctid
2017-03-01, 03:01 PM
Place strategic CL-boosted Forcecages conveniently in the exact locations of the other contestants.

Inevitability
2017-03-01, 03:15 PM
Place strategic CL-boosted Forcecages conveniently in the exact locations of the other contestants.

Getting Forcecage at ECL 10 is going to be tricky, though.

WhamBamSam
2017-03-01, 03:31 PM
Venerable Dragonwrought Kobold Sorcerer, Wizard, or Hexblade 8/Swordsage 1/Thrall of Orcus 1
1: Dragonwrought
3: Evasive Reflexes
6: Improved Combat Reflexes
9: Supernatural Instincts
10: Improved Familiar (Blink Dog)

Cast Tenser's Floating Disk and have your Blink Dog sit on it. The Blink Dog turns on its Blink ability as a free action, which provokes an AoO from you thanks to Supernatural Instincts. With Evasive Reflexes, you can take a 5-ft step instead, so you do so. The floating disk follows after you with the Blink Dog on it. The Blink Dog flips its Blink off and on with a series of free actions, and you get another 5-ft step. With Improved Combat Reflexes, there is no limit to the number of AoOs you can make in a round, so the only limit on your speed is a potential limit imposed by the DM on the Blink Dog's free actions or difficult terrain. The 1st level Setting Sun stance Step of the Wind should solve the latter problem.

Troacctid
2017-03-01, 03:34 PM
Why Hexblade?

WhamBamSam
2017-03-01, 03:37 PM
Why Hexblade?Any class with a familiar will do. I just didn't want to spend another feat on Obtain Famiar.

Hexblade does require that you use a Draconic Rite SLA or Talisman of the Disk to get Floating Disk, but other than that it pulls off the combo just as easily as the Wizard and Sorcerer.

Darrin
2017-03-01, 03:43 PM
Wasn't there a build made a while back that consisted of a Warforged capable of exceeding the speed of light? I believe it was called "Chuck E. Cheese".

Errata shut down Chuck E. Cheese (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=16924331&postcount=9). Basically, you persist a spell called footsteps of the divine (Complete Champion), which gives it a duration of 14400 rounds. One of the spell's effects is you can give yourself a boost of speed equal to +10' per round remaining in the spell's duration. With all the other bells and whistles added onto Chuck, final speed came out to be 1,059,008,683 ft/sec, or about 1.07 times the speed of light.

Errata made the spell dischargeable, and thus not eligible for Persist Spell.

IcarusWulfe
2017-03-01, 05:01 PM
Errata shut down Chuck E. Cheese (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=16924331&postcount=9). Basically, you persist a spell called footsteps of the divine (Complete Champion), which gives it a duration of 14400 rounds. One of the spell's effects is you can give yourself a boost of speed equal to +10' per round remaining in the spell's duration. With all the other bells and whistles added onto Chuck, final speed came out to be 1,059,008,683 ft/sec, or about 1.07 times the speed of light.

Errata made the spell dischargeable, and thus not eligible for Persist Spell.

Thanks, was wondering why that build hasn't popped up at all recently:smallbiggrin:

ben-zayb
2017-03-02, 01:06 AM
"Terra" Gnome Druid 4 with the Arcane Mastery feat
Method: Activate a scroll of Master Earth. It's not teleportation, so you're good.

"Beast Boy" Changeling Rogue 1, Divine Minion of Set
Method: Using at will, free action Wild Shape, to emulate the trick Tocke of Nessus (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21014310&postcount=117) (credits to WhamBamSam) did in its ECL20 write-up.

khadgar567
2017-03-02, 01:48 AM
pathfinder build
any race with incanter class using conjuration sphere to get fastest horse by using this talents
animal creature adds +20ft
vitality no sleep need aka I can ride all day long
improved haste +20 ( since every one builds in 10th level this will work
items for mount
horseshoes of speed and zepyr 4.500 gp +30 ft no dificult terain
by spending first 2 feats on companion I can let him get atletics sphere from spheres of might and focus on run option which gives 5 times the speed
total speed 700 ft per move action 1400 ft if I run as full action
total money spend 4.500 gp

weckar
2017-03-02, 02:57 AM
Phantom Steed cast with Reserves of Strength (and any of the many methods to get an arbitrarily high caster level)? Basically auto-win, I reckon.

SirNibbles
2017-03-02, 03:10 AM
What's the circumference of the globe in your world?

SirNibbles
2017-03-02, 04:14 AM
Venerable Dragonwrought Kobold Sorcerer, Wizard, or Hexblade 8/Swordsage 1/Thrall of Orcus 1
1: Dragonwrought
3: Evasive Reflexes
6: Improved Combat Reflexes
9: Supernatural Instincts
10: Improved Familiar (Blink Dog)

Cast Tenser's Floating Disk and have your Blink Dog sit on it. The Blink Dog turns on its Blink ability as a free action, which provokes an AoO from you thanks to Supernatural Instincts. With Evasive Reflexes, you can take a 5-ft step instead, so you do so. The floating disk follows after you with the Blink Dog on it. The Blink Dog flips its Blink off and on with a series of free actions, and you get another 5-ft step. With Improved Combat Reflexes, there is no limit to the number of AoOs you can make in a round, so the only limit on your speed is a potential limit imposed by the DM on the Blink Dog's free actions or difficult terrain. The 1st level Setting Sun stance Step of the Wind should solve the latter problem.

Improved Combat Reflexes is an Epic Feat.

WhamBamSam
2017-03-02, 04:29 AM
Improved Combat Reflexes is an Epic Feat.Hence Venerable Dragonwrought Kobold.
EPIC FEATS
These feats are available to characters of 21st level or higher. Dragons of at least old age also can choose these feats even if they have no class levels. A selection of epic feats appropriate for dragons is presented here. See the Epic Level Handbook for more epic feats.Emphasis mine.

SirNibbles
2017-03-02, 04:52 AM
Hence Venerable Dragonwrought Kobold. Emphasis mine.

I see.
___

How are you overcoming this part of Floating Disk?

"It floats along horizontally within spell range and will accompany you at a rate of no more than your normal speed each round."

weckar
2017-03-02, 06:22 AM
Hence Venerable Dragonwrought Kobold. Emphasis mine.
Was consensus ever reached on whether Dragonwrought made you a proper dragon for this purpose?

Inevitability
2017-03-02, 06:41 AM
Was consensus ever reached on whether Dragonwrought made you a proper dragon for this purpose?

It makes you a dragon allright, the question is whether it makes you a true dragon.

As to that, it most definitely hasn't.

WhamBamSam
2017-03-02, 11:06 AM
I see.
___

How are you overcoming this part of Floating Disk?

"It floats along horizontally within spell range and will accompany you at a rate of no more than your normal speed each round."Ah, that does pose a problem. In that case maybe have the kobold Polymorph into something large enough to pull the Blink Dog around on a regular wagon while 5-ft stepping, though that might disqualify him from Improved Combat Reflexes. Maybe other Str boosts and a good wagon will be sufficient. If not, then maybe we could go Druid with Exalted Companion, since Wild Shape doesn't change creature type (you still need to make sure you still have at least 21 Dex), though that means needing to use something other than Thrall of Orcus to squeeze in an extra non-Fighter feat in 10 levels.

Incidentally, Thrall of Demogorgon 1 should be the feat dip instead of Thrall of Orcus, since its Vile feat prereqs are within what can be accomplished before level 10 by worshipping an Elder Evil.

At higher levels, a Wu Jen/Crusader or Psion/Crusader can just create a duplicate and the 5-ft steps of one will provoke from the other in a loop via Thicket of Blades.

It makes you a dragon allright, the question is whether it makes you a true dragon.

As to that, it most definitely hasn't.As Inevitability said, a Dragonwrought Kobold is certainly a Dragon (which is just a creature of the dragon type), and hence Old and Older ones can take Epic feats. The debate, which we should probably avoid this thread getting into, is whether or not they're True Dragons, which is a more specific thing.

khadgar567
2017-03-02, 11:10 AM
is any one can list participants for this race

khadgar567
2017-03-04, 04:18 AM
After checking my build one more time looks like i got the first place and direstirge gets the second if we go 20 level builds( which my combo just requires 5 or 6 levels) i can pull 200 more feats for total of 1600 ft and i think i still got a standart action which allow me to add wait for it 3000 ft to my move ment speed which makes my total move per turn wooping 4600 ft per turn aka 770 ft per second which guarantes my win with huge margin

Inevitability
2017-03-04, 04:23 AM
After checking my build one more time looks like i got the first place and direstirge gets the second if we go 20 level builds( which my combo just requires 5 or 6 levels) i can pull 200 more feats for total of 1600 ft and i think i still got a standart action which allow me to add wait for it 3000 ft to my move ment speed which makes my total move per turn wooping 4600 ft per turn aka 770 ft per second which guarantes my win with huge margin

I like how you still call me by my old name.

ben-zayb
2017-03-04, 04:55 AM

Maybe in a straight up "use your move speed to get from one square to another". But the rule allows for my 2 entries, the first of which finishes in 6 seconds and the second of which finishes in 0 time.

WhamBamSam
2017-03-04, 06:03 AM
Maybe in a straight up "use your move speed to get from one square to another". But the rule allows for my 2 entries, the first of which finishes in 6 seconds and the second of which finishes in 0 time.Well, the resizing movement (and similarly, my Evasive Reflexes infinite AoO suggestion) could conceivably be limited by the DM imposing a limit on the number of free actions in a round, which the rules do explicitly note as a possibility.

Max Caysey
2017-03-04, 06:53 AM

AFAIK the spell cant run! This have been discussed before, but since its a spell it cant run. At least not to the best of my knowledge!