PDA

View Full Version : Help filling a fighter sized hole with a caster?

Kiyona
2017-03-01, 01:23 PM
Hail and well met fellow forumites!

I would greatly appreciate some ideas for a new character of mine.

I am starting in a new group, where I don't know anyone. We'll be starting up a new campaign, everyone begins at lvl 1.

My original concept for the character was for a very young and really not very clever warlock (goo, tomelock), who actually believed he was a wizard. Complete with pointy hat, robes and after lvl 3, even a spellbook. Background wise he spent his childhood and youth mostly alone, tagging along different caravans and other traveling groups for the safety and companionship. Not being strong, brave or a performer in any way, he earned his keep cooking and doing other small chores. Desperate to fit in in any sort of social group (the safety in number is heavily imprinted in him) he was extatic when his magic abilities started manifesting (maybe after reading a strange book? ^^). Perhaps now he can actually contribute and get a safe and stable position somewhere?

Concept was ok with DM, but when I met the group, I find one of the other players also wants to play a goo warlock. The rest of the group consists of a cleric and a rogue. Me being the most familiar with DnD in the group by far, I volunteered to play something else that better fit the group, or atleast wont be a copy of the other players character.

Well, obviously, a fighter would be best for the group. But... I really want to play a caster of some sort. It doesn't have to be a full caster. But at least with some flexibility. The bizarre, and flexible magic of DnD is my favourite thing about the system, and something I've really looked forward to play with again.

Preferably, I would also want to play something that can fit my background concept as well, but that can be tweaked. :)

So, any suggestions? I have not played DnD since 3,5 and have no idea how to build something more complex. Any suggestions are highly appreciated! :)

Short version: Wanted to play a goo tomelock, but that position is filled. What to play instead in a group of a cleric, rogue, and warlock? Preferably at least half a caster. :)

DM has given me total access, I can play any class, from any source, and even tweak them to fit my needs, as long as it is not too OP.

Obligatory excuse for bad english, it being my second language and all.

(And yes, the concept started out being a toned down Taako inspired character

Iamcreative
2017-03-01, 01:30 PM
If you guys are ok having 2 warlocks you could always play a hexblade warlock. Much more melee oriented and still a warlock at the end of the day.
Other wise bladesinger wizard (and he'd actually get to be a wizard!) might fit the bill.

But if you're looking for something that can tank for you guys eldritch knight is probably your best option at 1/3 caster with full fighter capibilities.

Also, you can really play whatever you want. While I certainly understand your desire to not step on anyone elses toes, you could even play a GOO tomelock and just by taking different invocations and spells be different enough to let you both shine (although that might be difficult, and would take some coordination)

lperkins2
2017-03-01, 01:31 PM
I'm planning to run a stone sorcerer in that role, AC 17 at first level, mostly verbal-only spells. Not sure how well it will actually work out in play, but on paper it looks to do okay, and scale reasonably at higher levels.

Iamcreative
2017-03-01, 01:33 PM
I'm planning to run a stone sorcerer in that role, AC 17 at first level, mostly verbal-only spells. Not sure how well it will actually work out in play, but on paper it looks to do okay, and scale reasonably at higher levels.

Yup thats better than my ideas, this sounds spot on.

Sir cryosin
2017-03-01, 01:40 PM
One of my favorite character build is fighter lv2/ adjuration wizard 18. Full plate and shield with adj wizard abilities you can be tanky.

Oramac
2017-03-01, 01:47 PM
As per usual I'm here to recommend the Tempest Sorcerer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?493427-Tempest-Sorcerer-Tank&p=20954743#post20954743).

First level would be tricky, assuming you started as a Sorcerer for Con save proficiency, but after that, taking a level of Cleric gets you your AC and such.

Kiyona
2017-03-01, 01:49 PM
Oh wow! So many great suggestions in like, a few minutes! Thank you!:)

Stone and tempest sorcerer looks great! So does abj wizard with a dip in fighter. Does it matter in which order you take the lvls? Hexblade warlock also looks really cool! I haven't found anything on the bladesinger though, what is the source for that?

I'll take a deeper look at the suggestions so far and run them by the DM. Thank you again! Also, please keep the suggestions coming! This is great! :)

Oramac
2017-03-01, 01:49 PM
bladesinger

It's an option in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide.

jaappleton
2017-03-01, 01:54 PM
Hexblade Warlock really fills in what you're looking for. You have another Warlock already, so your group has incentives to take short rests. The Cleric should agree with taking rests too to spend hit dice instead of eating up his spell slots with Cure Wounds.

Hexblades can actually fill in for the frontline fighter role properly, unlike Bladesingers, who really have zero incentive to get into melee range.

Sir cryosin
2017-03-01, 02:16 PM
The thing with the fighter and adj wizard combo you are a tank I mean a real tank not in the MMO sents. you have high AC and good def from spells. You also can blast a enemy away. Don't try to do melee damage with this build you want to soak up damage and midgat damage.

Specter
2017-03-01, 02:18 PM
If there's a Rogue, a Warlock and a Cleric, you could go for a Valor Bard. Or a Paladin. Or an Eldritch Knight. All of these can hold the line and still cast spells.

Let us know when you decide.

Durazno
2017-03-01, 02:30 PM
Mixing Hexblade with a front-line class might be fun. You could have the sentient weapon bullying him into focusing more on martial stuff.

Joe dirt
2017-03-01, 02:31 PM
Blade singers have horrible HP. I would go eldritch knight 3 abjuration wizard 17.. u get high armor and hp at first and u get the abjuration hp buffer ability

RipTide
2017-03-01, 02:31 PM
A Paladin Sorcerer MC would fit. You would probably have to bend your backstory a bit, but all you really need is 2 levels of Paladin for front line power so you wouldn't need to even emphasize paladin in your backstory.

Ultimately pally gives you heavy armor and weapons to be able to stand in melee and sorc gives you magic. The 2 levels of pally only leave you 1 level behind on spell slot progression and pally will give you some nice level 1 support spells that will stay relevant all campaign long. You will lack for health but Shield and Shield of faith give +5 AC and +2 AC respectively for just insane defense.

There is a paladork MC guide somewhere on these forums that can give better information if you decide to go with this.

Sariel Vailo
2017-03-01, 02:33 PM
i did find a combination i liked but it is strange.its called scarlet sage a class that well just look at it.
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Scarlet_Sage_(5e_Class).
if you cant do that id use bladesinger and dip ek or warlock maybe even bladesinger dip warcleric or just fighter dip into rouge and be an arcane trickster. some ideas ive thought of

QUARE
2017-03-01, 02:49 PM
I would suggest a Moon Druid. You get to be a very versatile caster while still being a tank that can mix up in combat due to Wildshape.

Tetrasodium
2017-03-01, 03:10 PM
I would suggest a Moon Druid. You get to be a very versatile caster while still being a tank that can mix up in combat due to Wildshape.

Going to second this. they are full casters with very respectable d8 hp. Plus the variety & flexability of wildshape options is almost akin to a whole 'nother spellbook for different types of fighterish roles

MeeposFire
2017-03-01, 03:27 PM
Is the current cleric a more caster type? If so you might consider a weapon based cleric. For instance Tempest cleric with magic initiate for booming blade and your melee attack will be pretty good and full casting. Specialize in spells the other cleric does not use and you could have a winner.

KorvinStarmast
2017-03-01, 03:34 PM
I third this notion. That was the first thing I thought of.

D.U.P.A.
2017-03-01, 03:35 PM
Which race are you? If human is acceptable, you can get a feat, Ritual caster gives you a book too. With this feat you can freely go various Fighters, Rogues and other noncasters (although you may take a magic path later on).

Kiyona
2017-03-01, 04:00 PM
So many good suggestions! Thank you all! :)

After talking to the DM, it will be a hexblade with a little tweaking to make it more survivable in melee if needed. So many good suggestions though, I'll save this thread for next time I wan't to do a melee caster.

Lots of thanks, again! :)

Oh, and if anyone has suggestions for hexblade builds, I would greatly appreciate it as well! :)

jaappleton
2017-03-01, 04:06 PM
So many good suggestions! Thank you all! :)

After talking to the DM, it will be a hexblade with a little tweaking to make it more survivable in melee if needed. So many good suggestions though, I'll save this thread for next time I wan't to do a melee caster.

Lots of thanks, again! :)

If I may?

I played a Hexblade for 2 sessions before his untimely death. It wasn't anyones fault, just terrible rolling on my part for six straight rounds.

He was an Eladrin. I found the Eladrin's innate Misty Step was amazing. I could teleport behind an enemy before attacking (DM would grant me Advantage for that). So Eladrin was a great option.

I made a second I'll be playing Friday. This one is a Protector Aasimar (found in Volo's). At lv4, when 'transformed', I can do 2d6 + 4 (Str Mod, got Gauntlets of Ogre Power) + 2 (Bonus from Hexblade's Curse) + 4 (Aasimar Transformation ability) per round. I can outright kill a lot of enemies in a single swing.

Just something to think about.

Iamcreative
2017-03-01, 04:38 PM
Ive only played a hexblade in 1 session so i dont really know what im talking about. But i went PAM and quarterstaff and pretended i was a monk. It was hella fun but pretty bad.

Quoxis
2017-03-02, 06:15 AM
Is the current cleric a more caster type? If so you might consider a weapon based cleric. For instance Tempest cleric with magic initiate for booming blade and your melee attack will be pretty good and full casting. Specialize in spells the other cleric does not use and you could have a winner.

I know OP already decided, but i wanted to add to your suggestion:
Arcana cleric (from scag) gets two wizard cantrips as cleric cantrips (with wis as casting stat etc), and at higher levels all damage by cantrips gets +wis added or sth, i'm AFB currently, but that might be a strong contender too - the downside being no access to heavy armor.

RSP
2017-03-02, 06:41 AM
For build help, are you sticking to the original character story (go Hexblade Pact of Tome and have that sentient weapon providing abilities in a way your character appreciates them, that is, in book form), or are you more willing to work a new story around a build better suited for melee combat?

If the latter, I'd just go straight Hexblade/Pact of the Blade, forget about Curse Bringer or PAM or multiclassing, and stay using non-two-handed weapons so you can rely completely on Chr for both melee attacks and spells.

After the obligatory Dex 14 to get the most out of Med Armor, you can max Chr and get Con as high as possible.

Should make you a reliable melee fighter while keeping up the caster side you seem to want to play.

One downside is AC won't be great unless adding a shield (and possibly Warcaster to mitigate the loss of the free hand). Going Med Armor Master could help as well, assuming Dex starts at 15, though if taking a feat anyway, you get more out of Warcaster.

Kiyona
2017-03-02, 10:55 AM
RSP29a

I'll be changing the background a little, yes. I am giving up the "believing he is a wizard" bit. Now instead he has stolen the pact blade, and going on the suggestion from Durazno, having the blade bullying him into melee. :)

Thank you! That looks like an easy an fun build. Iv'e seen lots of builds focusing on strength, but as far as I understand it, I get to add cha to bath attack and damage... Why would I want to do a str-build then? Am I missing something? :)

Also... I can't seem to find the actual pact weapon anywhere... do I get one as a Hexblade? Or do I have to wait till lvl 3 where I can go pact of the blade? That feels a bit odd, to not actually have a physical weapon. ^^

RSP
2017-03-02, 11:09 AM
Some feel it's worth going with a Str build to get the Curse Bringer Invocation and use a great sword (great swords are two-handed and therefore can not benefit from the Hexblade's level 1 ability to use Chr as their attack/dam stat). I think this forces too much need for multiple high stats. Unless rolling (and roll well) for stats I'd ignore the Str builds.

As for having the weapon, you do not get the weapon just by being a Hexblade. With the background story you're going with, I'd talk with the DM and see if you can start RPing the bullying long sword by having a piece of the broken sentient sword by which it communicates with you (perhaps it was shattered by someone/thing in the past Oman attempt to kill it?). Then at level 3, you can play it as gaining power through your character and being able to manifest itself as your Pact blade. Likewise you can continue to show it's gaining power (as you level) by taking the Improved (and later Superior) Pact Blade Invocations, making it a +1 longsword at 5th level.