PDA

View Full Version : Sea Sorcerer Spells

retaliation08
2017-03-01, 01:57 PM
I am starting a new game as a level 6 sea sorcerer and I was hoping to get some advice on my chosen spells. The DM has increased spells known to level + charisma mod (so 11) for my Sorcerer. I will start with twinned spell and quickened spell.

My chosen spells are:

Cantrips:
create bonfire, lightning lure, gust, ray of frost, minor illusion

1st level:
Mage armor, shield, chromatic orb, featherfall, thunderwave

2nd level:
misty step, pyrotechnics, suggestion

3rd level:
Fly, fireball, counterspell

I am hoping I have a nice mix of blasting and utility, as well as good synergy with the curse of the sea effects specifically.

Any ideas on how to optimize this spell list?

sightlessrealit
2017-03-01, 10:30 PM
Are you sure you want to potentially knock your character prone with Lightning Lure? Cause of the Sea Curse it'll extend its pull distance. And due to LLs short range it'll guaranty the two of you will collide. I'd take Shocking Grasp instead.

retaliation08
2017-03-01, 11:45 PM
Once per turn when you cast a spell, you can trigger the curse if that spell deals cold or lightning damage to the cursed target or forces it to move. Doing so subjects the target to the appropriate additional effect below, and then the curse ends if the spell isn't a cantrip (you choose the effect to use if more than one effect applies)

My emphasis added.

I don't have to trigger a curse if it would be suboptimal. Also, LL meets two curse criteria. I could simply choose to add CHA to lightning damage instead of increasing the forced movement.

I considered shocking grasp, but I like the control potential of LL. I actually had both of them on the spell list at one point, but I removed shocking grasp in favor of Create Bonfire to synergize with Pyrotechnics.

That being said, I am still interested in hearing further advocacy for shocking grasp if you think that is still better.