View Full Version : Pathfinder How does magic item creation work?

Origomar
2017-03-01, 03:28 PM
Specifically i am having trouble finding what craft DC i need to make in order to be able to make items.

Like if i was going to make a +1 magic shield i would need http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/item-creation-feats/craft-magic-arms-and-armor-item-creation-final/

And it would cost(assuming i already have the amsterwork item) 500g, and take 4 hours to make because its half the normal price and 8 hours per 1000 gp. I also found that you need to have a caster level x3 minimum per enhancement bonus. So i would need a caster level of atleast 3 which i should have considering i have the feat.

But other than having to know certain spells if i want something otehr than an enchancement bonus what else ist here?

Krazzman
2017-03-01, 03:52 PM
You would need to roll an 8 on spell craft to make a +1 shield.

The base is 5 + caster level needed. +1 shield needs to be level 3 at least and as such it's 5+3=8.
There are circumstances that raise this DC like not knowing the spell.

Catarang
2017-03-01, 04:06 PM
You would need to roll an 8 on spell craft to make a +1 shield.

The base is 5 + caster level needed. +1 shield needs to be level 3 at least and as such it's 5+3=8.
There are circumstances that raise this DC like not knowing the spell.

Is there a a higher DC if you don't qualify for the Caster level? Say, for a wand if you wanted to create it at higher caster level than you have could you boost the DC by 5 as per the side bar in the crafting rules section of the pathfinder SRD?

Segev
2017-03-01, 05:48 PM
With the (possible) exception of Constructs and the definite exception of spell trigger and spell completion items, CL is not actually a "requirement" of making the magic item. It merely sets the DC. So even if you don't have the CL of the item you're making, you can make it if you can succeed at the Spellcraft roll. And it doesn't even add 5 to the DC, because, again, it's not a requirement.

For spell completion and spell trigger items, you can't be missing any of the prerequisites and cannot make an item of a higher CL than you have.

For constructs, there's a line in it that claims that you can't ignore the CL requirement. But it's questionable whether that means the CL listed, or only CLs listed in the requirements section (which is a separate thing, and some constructs have both, and not all have the same CL in both places).