PDA

View Full Version : Spells to give literacy

noce
2017-03-01, 04:09 PM
Basically, there's an illiterate orc barbarian NPC that needs to read.
A magical writing appeared on a wall after the orc touched it. The orc is the only one able to see the writing, so only him can read it, except he can't read. And we cannot wait that he levels up and invests skill points to become literate.

So, is there any spell that allows an illiterate person to read? We have money, UMD and UPD.
I read that comprehend languages does the job, but it's personal. And I'm not sure it would work anyway, because it doesn't specify you become literate.

Keral
2017-03-01, 04:21 PM
uh, comprehend languages might work?

You can understand the spoken words of creatures or read otherwise incomprehensible written messages. In either case, you must touch the creature or the writing. The ability to read does not necessarily impart insight into the material, merely its literal meaning. The spell enables you to understand or read an unknown language, not speak or write it.

Written material can be read at the rate of one page (250 words) per minute. Magical writing cannot be read, though the spell reveals that it is magical. This spell can be foiled by certain warding magic (such as the secret page and illusory script spells). It does not decipher codes or reveal messages concealed in otherwise normal text.

I'm not sure if it's meant to be used by an illiterate character, but it does say that the target can read. So it might work?

Edit: wait, you said magical writing. Nevermind. I blame the late hour.

SangoProduction
2017-03-01, 04:28 PM
Just have a use-activated, eye slot Comprehend Languages custom magic item. Call them...Reading Glasses.

Finished reading the post. lol. Just glanced at it. Yes, Comprehend languages works. It allows you to "read otherwise incomprehensible written message." When you're illiterate, every written message is by definition incomprehensible.

I still don't understand how you can go off and do your own thing, buy/make magic items, and come back to get the orc to see the message, but no one else can. Is it simply that it's only appearing to him?

Zanos
2017-03-01, 04:31 PM
Tongues should work.

Keral
2017-03-01, 04:38 PM
If those don't work, look up chain of eyes from spell compendium. That should solve the issue I think

WhamBamSam
2017-03-01, 04:52 PM
Hitting him with a negative level followed by a Psychic Restoration would allow him to take something other than Barbarian for his most recent level and thus become literate.

noce
2017-03-01, 04:53 PM
I still don't understand how you can go off and do your own thing, buy/make magic items, and come back to get the orc to see the message, but no one else can. Is it simply that it's only appearing to him?

Exactly. Each of us can see a single message and simply read it written in common, but each message is visible to only one character and invisible to others.

If those don't work, look up chain of eyes from spell compendium. That should solve the issue I think

I think this should be perfect. Many, many thanks.

Segev
2017-03-01, 04:55 PM
Since it's magical writing, glasses of read magic should work, too. It's only a cantrip.

But yes, chain of eyes is probably your best bet. That, or scrying or clairvoyance.

sleepyphoenixx
2017-03-01, 06:04 PM
Detect Thoughts and similar spells should also work in the situation you describe. Have the orc look at the message and tell him to focus on it, then read his mind.
You could also use spells like Brain Spider, Probe Thoughts to extract the memory of watching the message with a character that can read, or use a telepathic link.

Segev
2017-03-01, 06:07 PM
Can he use a pen and parchment and just copy the symbols he sees as exactly as he can? Maybe trace them, if they're glowing?

EldritchWeaver
2017-03-02, 04:33 AM
Can he use a pen and parchment and just copy the symbols he sees as exactly as he can? Maybe trace them, if they're glowing?

Just wanted to write this, too.:smallbiggrin:

TheifofZ
2017-03-02, 04:44 AM

I, as well, was going to suggest this.
Everyone going for ridiculous over the top 'this spell will be better than that spell' options, going more and more dramatic, and finally someone pipes up 'or just do the easiest option.'

So what if he can't read it, someone else probably can. He just needs to know the shapes to write it out.
Definitely a prime example of missing the trees for the forest.

noce
2017-03-02, 05:13 AM
Detect Thoughts and similar spells should also work in the situation you describe. Have the orc look at the message and tell him to focus on it, then read his mind.
You could also use spells like Brain Spider, Probe Thoughts to extract the memory of watching the message with a character that can read, or use a telepathic link.

Good suggestions, thank you.

Unfortunately, this particular orc barbarian/berserker is not the kind of guy with mental stats above 6. I think dexterity is under 10, too.
He was an enemy until yesterday, and once we survived his assault just polymorphing ourselves into cows (he couldn't understand we were the cows).
Now the fact he can't read is making him almost entering rage.

This is to explain why asking him to draw is not really a thing we can do. He's like a very pissed child that keeps saying "I can't read! I MUST read! You can't read, I can! But I CAN'T!"

Anyway, chain of eyes solved the problem. :)
Thank you everyone! Obviously you can continue the discussion, just keep in mind that we solved the issue.

Segev
2017-03-02, 11:50 AM
This is to explain why asking him to draw is not really a thing we can do. He's like a very pissed child that keeps saying "I can't read! I MUST read! You can't read, I can! But I CAN'T!"Tell him that tracing the symbols is the first step to reading. That everybody in the party who can read has done that as part of the process.

Anyway, chain of eyes solved the problem. :)
Thank you everyone! Obviously you can continue the discussion, just keep in mind that we solved the issue.Great! Glad a solution was found. ...how did he react to being told somebody else would read through his eyes?

noce
2017-03-02, 12:17 PM
Great! Glad a solution was found. ...how did he react to being told somebody else would read through his eyes?

Not played yet. My DM just confirmed chain of eyes will work, we'll try to convince the orc in the next session I think.

Segev
2017-03-02, 01:02 PM
Ah. Well, then, good luck!