PDA

View Full Version : Crazy old wizard idea

Daddison
2017-03-01, 10:54 PM
Playgrounders,

Can you guys give me some input on a build idea I have. He would be an NPC (non-combatant) more than anything. I want to create this old, wiry, reclusive human wizard that lives underground (top level of the underdark) in some little cave system that he has found and trapped, etc. He would have been there for years and disguises himself anytime he comes out for supplies.

I would like for him to be illiterate and his spellbook is actually a book on gardening or the like...but to him, it is a spellbook. He would actually be a sorcerer, not a wizard and one that is more lucky than anything as the spells he casts come out random part of the time. For example, he wants to cast light and instead casts fireball or wants to heal and instead casts hold person. But to him he is perfectly normal...with his gardening book.

He would be utterly crazy too...not to the point of not being able to communicate, but definitely mumbly and talks to himself and fidgety, hoarder...you get the idea.

can you all help me out with a basic class/multiclass setup. Level is not really an issue. He should probably be in the upper teens, though.

Thank you in advance -

frogglesmash
2017-03-01, 11:14 PM
Sounds like wild mage would be a good choice for this character.

Deeds
2017-03-01, 11:23 PM
I've always like the character archetype of the misunderstood mad scientist inventor. Think Doc Brown from the Back to the Future Movies. Doc Brown has several contraptions and inventions that are awesome to behold (automated breakfast routine assembly-line) but are inherently flawed by the inventor (Doc Brown forgot to turn it off when he went on vacation and now there's overflowing breakfast laying on his counter.) Your "wizard" could have Create Wondrous Item so that he can make cool custom items that are accidentally cursed. He could have a cloak of displacement that also displaces his own vision so that both him and his enemies have a 50% miss chance.

If the NPC lives in the underdark then he'll need to be able to evade the denizens or defend himself. Ebon Eyes (Spell Compendium: 77) allows him/her to see in the dark without advertising his location with a light spell. Extended Invisibility seems like an obvious choice when leaving the house. Unfortunately, some underground creatures have blind sense and the like. Dimension Door would be incredibly handy when the poor guy encounters anything.

MintyThe1st
2017-03-01, 11:24 PM
Class: Wild mage would work, randomness is a class feature :P
Race: Neanderthal is a human race with illiteracy, bit of a bad choice for anything but WIS casters though.

frogglesmash
2017-03-01, 11:27 PM
You could have him be a non evil derro, they even get racial insanity. They do have 2 LA, and 3 racial HD though.

Thurbane
2017-03-02, 12:00 AM
If it's an NPC build, and it's OK for him to b evil, you can slap the Tainted Raver (HoH) template on any Humanoid or Monstrous Humanoid.

daremetoidareyo
2017-03-02, 12:26 AM
Sorcer 6/wild mage 3
False theurgy skill trick.
Maxed bluff. See my flubbing bluffs guide in sig for faking casting of spells.