PDA

View Full Version : Original System DeviantD18's Megaman Battle Network Tabletop System

Sir Grave
2017-03-01, 11:40 PM
Calling on any and all playgrounders to help develop an original system for Megaman Battle Network!

Rules 2.0 (https://www.docdroid.net/vuYgpIj/megaman-exe-d20-phb-rev-170217.pdf.html)
Battle Chips List (https://www.docdroid.net/nGeg0Hl/megaman-exe-d20-battlechip-list-rev-170217.pdf.html)
Previous versions here (http://s13.zetaboards.com/Illumina_Cruise/topic/7033643/1/)
Update 1 (https://www.docdroid.net/7KkEZQr/meg...221-1.pdf.html)

More updates to come! I urge anyone interested to pitch in. :smallsmile:

Eshkigal
2017-03-02, 01:02 AM
I am interested still! And here is my rough draft pc with some things I would like to ask for a ruling on.

Character Sheet
Operator: Taylor Anaheim
Class: Virus Buster
Name: Blade Archaeopteryx

Frame: Standard (+2 Movement)

Element: Fire (+1 power, -1 speed)
Type:Null
Core Stats- (6 points to spend between Movement, Accuracy and Evasion)
HP: 100
Movement: 6 (0 pts)
Accuracy: 3 (3 pts)
Evasion: 3(3 pts)

Buster Stats
Power: 3 (2 +1)
Speed: 1 (2-1)
Charge: 2 (2)

Abilitiese
Buster: 1d6+1 medium range (throwing knives)
Charge Variation: Side gun

Innate Ability: Shadow Shoes (ignore cracked tile effects)
Signature Ability: Knife Trick (set number of tiles equal to charge and within a radius equal to speed to Magma tiles with flurry of thrown feather knives)

Customizer- (4p/12m)
Program 1: Undershirt (3 p)
Program 2: Float Shoes (7m)
Program 3: N/A
Program 4: N/A
Program 5: N/A

Mod 1: Buster 1 (3m)
Mod 2: Buster 1 (1p, 2m)
Mod 3: N/A
Mod 4: N/A
Mod 5: N/A
Mod 6: N/A

Taylor is a chef who uses his companion to routinely clear out viruses that interfere with the operation of any of his utensils, with a folder of varied typings and utility allowing him to keep working without issue. However, relatively recently the old, corrupted data of what seemed to be a deleted Navi had managed to claw it's way into their oven, trying to burn the restaurant he works at down while a diplomatic dinner was occurring. Despite danger to himself and issues due to the same typing negating many of his go to tactics, he and Arche (as he calls his Navi partner, though she prefers damn near anything else) managed to put the strange Flameman.exe program down once again, though the actions of such an old foe did catch some interest.

Would Bug (sword, cursor) be alright, for one, as I like the idea of being able to use the knives as a throwing weapon and melee weapon?
Do we actually need to keep the Undershirt purchased, or are we allowed to scrap it for the points?

Both of these question change my build a bit, so an answer would be appreciated.

DeviantD18
2017-03-02, 11:56 AM
Greetings everyone. Update 2 will be out shortly. Still a lot of work to be done, but progress is being made daily. Feel free to submit ideas, suggestions, critiques and questions, they are all welcome and much appreciated.

Update 2 only includes changes to the Core Rule Book.

Update 3 will be released within the next week or two and will likely include an update to the Battlechip List and the beginnings of the Virus Registry (your Monster Manual equivalent).

I am interested still! And here is my rough draft pc with some things I would like to ask for a ruling on.

Character Sheet
Operator: Taylor Anaheim
Class: Virus Buster
Name: Blade Archaeopteryx

Frame: Standard (+2 Movement)

Element: Fire (+1 power, -1 speed)
Type:Null
Core Stats- (6 points to spend between Movement, Accuracy and Evasion)
HP: 100
Movement: 6 (0 pts)
Accuracy: 3 (3 pts)
Evasion: 3(3 pts)

Buster Stats
Power: 3 (2 +1)
Speed: 1 (2-1)
Charge: 2 (2)

Abilitiese
Buster: 1d6+1 medium range (throwing knives)
Charge Variation: Side gun

Innate Ability: Shadow Shoes (ignore cracked tile effects)
Signature Ability: Knife Trick (set number of tiles equal to charge and within a radius equal to speed to Magma tiles with flurry of thrown feather knives)

Customizer- (4p/12m)
Program 1: Undershirt (3 p)
Program 2: Float Shoes (7m)
Program 3: N/A
Program 4: N/A
Program 5: N/A

Mod 1: Buster 1 (3m)
Mod 2: Buster 1 (1p, 2m)
Mod 3: N/A
Mod 4: N/A
Mod 5: N/A
Mod 6: N/A

Taylor is a chef who uses his companion to routinely clear out viruses that interfere with the operation of any of his utensils, with a folder of varied typings and utility allowing him to keep working without issue. However, relatively recently the old, corrupted data of what seemed to be a deleted Navi had managed to claw it's way into their oven, trying to burn the restaurant he works at down while a diplomatic dinner was occurring. Despite danger to himself and issues due to the same typing negating many of his go to tactics, he and Arche (as he calls his Navi partner, though she prefers damn near anything else) managed to put the strange Flameman.exe program down once again, though the actions of such an old foe did catch some interest.

Would Bug (sword, cursor) be alright, for one, as I like the idea of being able to use the knives as a throwing weapon and melee weapon?
Do we actually need to keep the Undershirt purchased, or are we allowed to scrap it for the points?

Both of these question change my build a bit, so an answer would be appreciated.
The Bug (Sword/Cursor) Type works within the current rules, but will be up to your WM to decide if they'll allow it. Update 2 goes a tiny bit more in depth about the Bug Element/Type and makes it a bit more balanced with the Standard choices.

The NCP you start with, Undershirt and the various +1 Buster parts, are free to use or not use. These are essentially the "equipment" of your NetNavi, even if you don't use them they stay in your inventory. Anything beyond what you start with must be purchase or given as payment/reward/loot.

Eshkigal
2017-03-16, 07:56 PM
Good to know. Personally, I am looking at a concept in the other thread where my Navi, or in this case Navis, act as support units for the party and are a test bed for Double Souls, as well as Beast Out. Do you think such a thing feasible in your own system?

DeviantD18
2017-03-16, 08:00 PM
Good to know. Personally, I am looking at a concept in the other thread where my Navi, or in this case Navis, act as support units for the party and are a test bed for Double Souls, as well as Beast Out. Do you think such a thing feasible in your own system?

Currently I do not have any rules set out to cover Double Soul or Beast Out, but I do have some ideas on how to pull it off. This probably won't make it into the next update, but it is on the to-do list.

Eshkigal
2017-03-16, 08:03 PM
Good to know. Just trying to get a feel for the extent of the rules you can achieve and things that could be tested out from an ability. Would you, in your opinion, encourage using abilities as such, mind you?

DeviantD18
2017-03-16, 08:29 PM
Good to know. Just trying to get a feel for the extent of the rules you can achieve and things that could be tested out from an ability. Would you, in your opinion, encourage using abilities as such, mind you?

Things can get a bit complicated with the whole "fusing" thing, especially when the fusing is between two party members mid-battle. It would bring up a lot of questions.

Do they become one unit? If so, who controls it? If not, what actually happens? How do stats change? What abilities do I gain? How long does it last?

There are a lot of variables to consider, so it all comes down to the rules. I would also think that it might bog things down if you have to recalculate stats every time. It'd be better to have a predetermined fusion that you can stat up as if it were a character on a separate sheet and just switch between the sheets as needed.

(I say sheets mainly because I play at a table rather than on a forum. But you get the idea.)

Eshkigal
2017-03-16, 09:00 PM
Good to know.

To explain, the intent was merging the units and a static boost, maybe a riding effect based off gear or frame, and that the affected PC was still in control unless they suddenly had bad stuff happen IRL or disappeared. That said, static sheet may be the appropriate way to go.

From what I had so far, would that be passable given the information I had?

DeviantD18
2017-03-16, 09:35 PM
Good to know.

To explain, the intent was merging the units and a static boost, maybe a riding effect based off gear or frame, and that the affected PC was still in control unless they suddenly had bad stuff happen IRL or disappeared. That said, static sheet may be the appropriate way to go.

From what I had so far, would that be passable given the information I had?

The idea that I have for it currently goes like this.

When Navi "merge" the Size & Frame would remain the same as whichever of the two Navi is designated as the Primary Unit, similar to how Megaman.EXE stays the same size, but his "armor" changes to reflect the Navi he merged with. The Primary unit would gain Stat Bonuses based on the Element & Type of the Navi, such as merging with an Elec/Sword Navi would grant +2 Speed. Additional Stat Bonuses might be gained based on the Secondary Navi's highest Stat Value or other abilities.

Activating the merge might include needing to sacrifice a Battle Chip matching the Element/Type of the Secondary Navi, or even requiring a specific Battle Chip of that Navi.

Gaining the Ability to merge may have to be a Navi specific ability. The concept of Double Soul was the fact the two Navi developed a strong enough Bond and allowed each other to borrow their strength/abilities. Perhaps a mechanic can be introduced to determine who can or can't merge?

Eshkigal
2017-03-16, 10:14 PM
Might be worth it, since fusion is always a thing in Megaman when you look back. Hell, ever since Six in the original series.

DeviantD18
2017-03-17, 09:50 AM
Might be worth it, since fusion is always a thing in Megaman when you look back. Hell, ever since Six in the original series.

Well, thanks for the brain-picking, actually got a lot out of it. All of this might get put into a seperate document from the Core Rulebook so those who do not want to use it don't have to continually skip over it.

Update 2 (being severely late at this point) is just going to be lumped together with Update 3 since it is almost ready. Should make a few people happy. Update 4 won't add any new mechanics, instead focusing on finishing the NetOp Classes and Ability Perks.

Eshkigal
2017-03-17, 10:48 AM
Anything I can do to help. Speaking of which, next post should make ten posts for you.

DeviantD18
2017-03-17, 03:31 PM
Anything I can do to help. Speaking of which, next post should make ten posts for you.

Indeed it should be. My next post (that won't be any sooner than 4 hours from the time of this post) will contain links to the newest documents which include the following.

Core System Rulebook
Virus Registry (just to introduce it)
NetOp & NetNavi Character sheets
Battle Chip Catalog (unchanged from last version)

Oneris
2017-03-17, 03:38 PM
So that's where this thread went. I missed my chance to subscribe and it fell completely off my radar.

Sir Grave
2017-03-17, 07:41 PM
:smalleek:

I have been so incredibly busy I forgot to post this twice. I am so sorry.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8wX501Xt2UReloydnZQQktsRGc/view

Deviant's update.

DeviantD18
2017-03-17, 07:57 PM
Alright people, here are the links. I'm excluding the Battle Chip Catalog since it can still be found in the very first post. It will get a proper update soon (probably incorporating it into the Core System Rule Book somehow).

As it has been since the beginning, feel free to critique and make suggestions and/or requests. All help is welcome and appreciated.

Please do not rip any of the material I have created without asking first. I don't mind sharing so long as permission is asked for and credit is given. Some mechanics and text in the documents I am myself borrowing from other systems (with permission).

Core System Rule Book (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8wX501Xt2URdTRPdG5naXZySTQ)
Big changes. You'll really just need to read through everything. Not sure if I got everything listed in the change log or not.

Virus Registry (AKA The Bestiary) (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8wX501Xt2URUTJJMklmX2s1MFk)
Still very much a work in progress. There should be enough enemies to test out combat.

Character Sheets (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8wX501Xt2URSDFuaUxPdDV4VUU)
Subject to change as rules are modified and refined.

I am aware that there might be some formatting errors and some sections that are a bit more wordy, or not nearly enough, than they need to be. Chapter 1 in the Core System needs a good thrice over for example.

Edit: With the addition of Sir Grave posting a link to Update 2, you can compare the documents if you wish.