PDA

View Full Version : Dip level or Martial Weapon Proficiency?

...Eh?
2007-07-24, 02:29 PM
I'm writing up a combat-oriented human rogue for a PbP game on another forum, and I'm thinking of using a martial weapon. It's ECL 1, 40 pt. buy, have to ask for anything that's not core, Draconomicon, a PHBII feat, or C. Scoundrel. ToB and ToM are banned, as well as psionics. I'm not trying to go overboard with the optimization (I've been told large amounts of cheese will meet untimely demises) just trying to make a decent combat rogue. Here are my ideas at the moment:

Straight Rogue, taking Weapon Focus (Halberd) and MWP Halberd.

Straight Rogue again, Monkey Grip (Homebrewed version, same thing, but no penalty on attack rolls) and some other feat, using a morningstar or spear.

Fighter 1, later multiclassing to Rogue, taking Combat Reflexes, TWF, and Weapon Focus (Halberd), then taking Spinning Halberd at third level.

Suggestions/comments/questions/better builds/better ideas/fish/telling me I'm an idiot/laughing at the idea of someone taking Monkey Grip/wondering why I would take a halberd instead of a better weapon?

Fax Celestis
2007-07-24, 02:33 PM
Third option is probably your best bet.

Person_Man
2007-07-24, 02:38 PM
Weapon Focus, Halberd prof, and Monkey Grip (even your house rule version) are bad ideas.

In general, weak feats add minor bonuses, and strong feats add an ability you can't get with a magic item or have damage that scales with levels.

If those class combo options are you only choices, the third is the best.

If not, I suggest Rogue 3/Swashbuckler 17 with the Daring Outlaw feat from Complete Scoundrel. Decent Skills. 10d6 Sneak Attack. 19/20 BAB. Insightful Strike and free Weapon Focus. Not particularly strong, but decent enough for what you're looking for.

Fax Celestis
2007-07-24, 02:40 PM
That is indeed a good build right there. Perhaps even going more defensive and taking Combat Expertise and Deadly Defense (CScn), and using the Shield of Blades variant in the PHB-II.

Soepvork
2007-07-24, 02:43 PM
How about option 4:

Base (LA+0) Tiefling (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a)/Rogue 1

In any case, I'd start with a level rogue first. I'll take 24 skill points over 4 hp points any time (starting with a rogue level compared to starting with a fighter level)

Keld Denar
2007-07-24, 02:44 PM
One prob what most of what you posted is that weapon focus requries a +1 BAB first. You can't take it at 1st level as a rogue. Sorry.

JackMage666
2007-07-24, 02:44 PM
If you're going Human, Fighter 2/Rogue X isn't all that bad. No multiclassing penalties, two bonus feats, a bit of extra health, and the proficiencies.

Though the Swashbuckler build is pretty good too.

...Eh?
2007-07-24, 02:54 PM
Weapon Focus, Halberd prof, and Monkey Grip (even your house rule version) are bad ideas.

<_< Not sure why I put Weapon Focus for the first one. I need it for Spinning Halberd in the third build.

How about option 4:

Base (LA+0) Tiefling/Rogue 1

Erm...I'm not sure that has anything to do with weapon proficiency or feats at all.

One prob what most of what you posted is that weapon focus requries a +1 BAB first. You can't take it at 1st level as a rogue. Sorry.

Oops. It'd still work for the Fighter build, though, the only one where it's needed.

Anyways, the build Person_Man posted looks good, although I was under the impression that Swashbuckler beyond 3 was fairly awful.

Cybren
2007-07-24, 02:57 PM
Tieflings are outsiders so they are proficient with all martial weapons.

Arbitrarity
2007-07-24, 02:58 PM
It's because it progresses sneak attack, along with full BAB. Other than that, it's Meh.

Darrin
2007-07-24, 03:12 PM
How about option 4:

Base (LA+0) Tiefling (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a)/Rogue 1

In any case, I'd start with a level rogue first. I'll take 24 skill points over 4 hp points any time (starting with a rogue level compared to starting with a fighter level)

Tiefling Racial Class:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a

Option 5: Take the "Otherworldly" feat instead of MWP. This makes you an outsider and gives you proficiency with all martial weapons. More or less similar to a LA+0 Tiefling, except a Human outsider would get more skill points.

Even with a homebrewed version, I'd heed Person_Man's advice about Monkey Grip, since it doesn't scale as you level up.

Have you considered Rogue 1/Swashbuckler X or Rogue 3/Swashbuckler X with the Daring Outlaw feat (full sneak attack progression)? A LA+0 Tiefling with their racial abilities (Darkvision, +2 on Bluff and Hide, Lesser Darkness, resistance 2 to cold/fire/electricity). Take your Tiefling Racial level whenever, which gives you +2 Int (more Precise Strike damage), Darkness 1/day, and energy resistance 5.

I was going to suggest the Craven feat at 1st level (+1 damage/character level to sneak attack, -2 on Will saves) but that's pretty firmly over in "Broken" territory.

If you're going to do TWF with a halberd and an offhand weapon, just use armor spikes. Then you can use the halberd THF *and* TWF *and* Power Attack. (As for me, I'm a sucker for double Bastard Swords with Oversize TWF.)

...Eh?
2007-07-24, 03:28 PM
It's because it progresses sneak attack, along with full BAB. Other than that, it's Meh.

So does the Thug fighter variant.

Hmm...I like the armor spikes idea...that's two halberd attacks and an armor spike attack at level 3...but then there's an XP penalty if I decide to go for Daring Outlaw afterwards. Meh...one or the other, I guess.

PinkysBrain
2007-07-24, 03:30 PM
Just curious, why exactly does your character want to use a halberd?

...Eh?
2007-07-24, 03:31 PM
Well, Spinning Halberd for the mostpart, and because it's slightly more rogueish than a greatsword. Not by much, though.

Telonius
2007-07-24, 03:34 PM
I'm writing up a combat-oriented human rogue for a PbP game on another forum, and I'm thinking of using a martial weapon. It's ECL 1, 40 pt. buy, have to ask for anything that's not core, Draconomicon, a PHBII feat, or C. Scoundrel. ToB and ToM are banned, as well as psionics. I'm not trying to go overboard with the optimization (I've been told large amounts of cheese will meet untimely demises) just trying to make a decent combat rogue. Here are my ideas at the moment:

Straight Rogue again, Monkey Grip (Homebrewed version, same thing, but no penalty on attack rolls) and some other feat, using a morningstar or spear.

Fighter 1, later multiclassing to Rogue, taking Combat Reflexes, TWF, and Weapon Focus (Halberd), then taking Spinning Halberd at third level.

Suggestions/comments/questions/better builds/better ideas/fish/telling me I'm an idiot/laughing at the idea of someone taking Monkey Grip/wondering why I would take a halberd instead of a better weapon?

None of the above. If you're taking Rogue at all, take it at first level. Those extra skill points are gone forever if you don't. Then, take a level of Fighter, Ranger, or whatever to get the extra feat and proficiencies.

Quietus
2007-07-24, 03:43 PM
Just to throw things for another fun little loop here, I'll stick my nose in. I'm the primary DM and the admin of the board that this will be played on, so I'll clear a couple things up :

First, he won't need to spend a feat on proficiency. I give all characters a single proficiency feat for free. So no Prof. (Halberd) on a straight rogue, he's already got it if he wants it.

Second - as far as the swashbuckler/rogue combo goes, I know that my helper DM (who conveniently hasn't bothered to show since I started the testing phase we're in.. *Grumbles*) isn't fond of ANYTHING in the Complete books, and would rather put an all-out ban on them. Personally, I am a little more lenient, and I'll allow things on a case-by-case basis. The swashbuckler/rogue thing I'd be okay with, same with the thug variant fighter.

Another small houserule to take into account : Use Magic Device doesn't exist. Casters remain casters, their cheese level kept in check by a mutually assured destruction system, not by rogues pretending to be wizards.

And just in case anyone was confused with the OP's list of books allowed :

Books allowed :
Player's Handbook
Player's Handbook 2 (Feats only, no tactical feats allowed)
Dungeon Master's Guide
Draconomicon
Complete Scoundrel (No skill tricks, we're lenient about letting players be creative)

Books which you need not ask about, flat-out no :
Tome of Battle
Tome of Magic
Expanded Psionics Handbook
Complete Psionic
Any Setting book

::Edit:: Just thought I'd throw this out there... the idea of a rogue hacking away with a halberd is awesome.

...Eh?
2007-07-24, 03:52 PM
First, he won't need to spend a feat on proficiency. I give all characters a single proficiency feat for free. So no Prof. (Halberd) on a straight rogue, he's already got it if he wants it.

Awesome. So, here's my thoughts:

Rogue 1: Sneak attack, plus skill points.
Fighter 1: Extra feat so I can take Spinning Halberd at 3rd level.
Rogue 2: And probably just gonna stay with rogue the whole ride through from then on in.

This way, I'm still getting sneak attack and rogue abilities, the weapons style feat, and I'm stepping on the anti-Complete DM's toes as little as possible. Usable?

Quietus
2007-07-24, 03:57 PM
Awesome. So, here's my thoughts:

Rogue 1: Sneak attack, plus skill points.
Fighter 1: Extra feat so I can take Spinning Halberd at 3rd level.
Rogue 2: And probably just gonna stay with rogue the whole ride through from then on in.

This way, I'm still getting sneak attack and rogue abilities, the weapons style feat, and I'm stepping on the anti-Complete DM's toes as little as possible. Usable?

I should point out, that Spinning Halberd requires three feats to qualify : Combat Reflexes, Weapon Focus, and Two-Weapon Fighting. If you're human, the above that you set out will work. If you're not, you'll need to take level 3 as Fighter to fit in spinning halberd at 3rd.

If you're going human, however, that'll make for a nice looking setup. The -5 penalty with the back end of your halberd, combined with the penalty for TWF with spiked armor, will be a bitch to try and hit with, I don't see that as being even remotely unbalancing. And like I said, the idea of a rogue fighting with that weapon style, in my head, is just spectacular.

CASTLEMIKE
2007-07-24, 03:59 PM
Start with Rogue first then Fighter unless you don't use skills in your campaign. Some Ninja could be nice for abilities and Sudden Strike stacking with Sneak Attack.

Nifft
2007-07-24, 04:02 PM
Spinning Halberd seems kinda weak. Wouldn't you rather be using your halberd to trip people?

1/ Barbarian 1 -- Combat Expertise, Improved Trip
2/ Rogue 1
3/ Rogue 2 -- Power Attack
4/ Rogue 3
5/ Rogue 4
6/ Rogue 5 -- Extra Rage or Weapon Focus (halberd)

Cheers, -- N

...Eh?
2007-07-24, 04:13 PM
Spinning Halberd is TWF with no penalty on the first attack and a Str mod and a half bonus to damage, rather than half a Str mod. It could also be TWF'd in conjunction with armor spikes, so you now have 3 attacks+any extra attacks from BAB. Plus, I've never really liked the idea of someone who focuses on just tripping/disarming/bull rushing/is generally a one-trick pony.

Although, I'm think of dropping the armor spikes, considering I have a -2 to hit with them between TWF and non-proficency. I dunno.

Quietus
2007-07-24, 04:19 PM
Spinning Halberd is TWF with no penalty on the first attack and a Str mod and a half bonus to damage, rather than half a Str mod. It could also be TWF'd in conjunction with armor spikes, so you now have 3 attacks+any extra attacks from BAB. Plus, I've never really liked the idea of someone who focuses on just tripping/disarming/bull rushing/is generally a one-trick pony.

Although, I'm think of dropping the armor spikes, considering I have a -2 to hit with them between TWF and non-proficency. I dunno.

You'd pick up armor spike proficiency with your Fighter level, come level 2. That isn't so much of a problem. However, spinning halberd DOES have a penalty - assuming you were using spinning halberd + twf, you'd have two attacks at -2 (primary halberd + armor spikes), and one at -7 (the back end of the halberd). If you don't TWF, it's one primary with the halberd and one at -5.

...Eh?
2007-07-24, 04:37 PM
Alright, now that I've got the concept sorted out, I think it's time to ask you guys to pick Led Stoutpike (http://www.rpgwebprofiler.net/view.php?id=58133) over for screw-ups.

Quietus
2007-07-24, 04:46 PM
Alright, now that I've got the concept sorted out, I think it's time to ask you guys to pick Led Stoutpike (http://www.rpgwebprofiler.net/view.php?id=58133) over for screw-ups.

I only catch one thing - your armor spikes are listed to have a -2 penalty to attack rolls. They're light weapons, and you have TWF, so they're actually a +2 bonus.

Other than that, I don't catch any problems with it.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-07-24, 04:48 PM
Third option is probably your best bet.

Starting as fighter? I'd have thought 8 x 4 skill points made the Rogue the first option at first level.

lord_khaine
2007-07-24, 04:56 PM
for that matter, it would be nice to know what lv you are aiming to end at.

Leon
2007-07-24, 05:14 PM
Looks ok, i'd move the 8 from WIS out and a 10 in just so your not at a Sav penalty

Spiked chainmail seems a lil bizzare to me but what ever floats ya boat

Overall: Great choice of weapon, Halberds rock

...Eh?
2007-07-24, 05:15 PM
I only catch one thing - your armor spikes are listed to have a -2 penalty to attack rolls. They're light weapons, and you have TWF, so they're actually a +2 bonus.

Other than that, I don't catch any problems with it.

I'm not proficient with them.

Quietus
2007-07-24, 06:31 PM

... Duh. You're right, then, and it looks good. Side effect of free proficiencies for everyone and D&D all day... you miss the obvious sometimes.

Mike_G
2007-07-24, 07:56 PM

Go Rogue at 1st, for the x4 multiplier on skill points. At 2nd level Fighter/Rogue, the difference in skill points is 34 points if you go Rogue at level 1, and 16 if you go Fighter at level 1.

If you want to be a good Rogue, it's all about the skill points.

Go Rogue at 1st, then dip Fighter for the Martial proficiency and bonus feat.

Jerthanis
2007-07-24, 08:33 PM

You're not proficient with Halberds either, them being two handed martial weapons after all... I suggest wielding shortswords until you take your second level.

...Eh?
2007-07-24, 08:48 PM
You're not proficient with Halberds either, them being two handed martial weapons after all... I suggest wielding shortswords until you take your second level.

What Quietus said.

Just to throw things for another fun little loop here, I'll stick my nose in. I'm the primary DM and the admin of the board that this will be played on, so I'll clear a couple things up :

Renegade Paladin
2007-07-24, 09:05 PM
If not, I suggest Rogue 3/Swashbuckler 17
Okay, full stop. Did you see this part of the OP?
It's ECL 1, 40 pt. buy
Now, what part of a 20th level character is ECL 1?

Arbitrarity
2007-07-24, 09:09 PM
It's the end build. As long as every level of the build is usable, a full, 20'th level build is usable, given that it is a good plan for the future, rather than a slapdash creation which has to be "fixed". The sole disadvantage is some people prefer "organic" characters. Really, such a build should be worked in thematically. I.e. I have a bard, going into virtuoso. He likes his performing abilities. A lot. Note that the DM allowed 3.0 virtuoso (as the excerpt).

Leon
2007-07-25, 04:22 AM
The optimizers need the full 20 all the time to make sure they can squeeze the upmost out of it

Person_Man
2007-07-25, 10:45 AM
Anyways, the build Person_Man posted looks good, although I was under the impression that Swashbuckler beyond 3 was fairly awful.

With this combo, each Swashbuckler level will get you full BAB, full Sneak Attack progression, d10 hit points, decent Saves/AC, and decent Skills. Also, you can Take 10 on Tumble and Jump checks, which will help out a lot when you use Leap Attack and Battle Jump. Again, not great, but a very solid build with a respectably high damage output.

Also, I'm not a fan of Spinning Halberd. 3 feats for +1 to hit and AC and one extra attack at -5? WTF? There's a wide variety of better ways to get extra attacks. Traditional TWF works better. Heck, 1st level Darfellan (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050805a&page=2) gets 1 (bite), and a variant Kobold (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a) with the Draconic Tail feat gets 4 (claw, claw, bite, tail, though you have to be a Monk if you also want to make an unarmed attack, since you can't use your claws and your hands at the same time).

And yes, I always provide the builds up to ECL 20. It's called planning. As long as every level of the build is playable (i.e., the combo doesn't kick in at ECL 19ish), then good planning is the best way to optimize. Whereas poor planning (Barbarian 1 FTW!) often leads to poor feat choices, which means you'll have fewer and weaker options available as you level up.

Quietus
2007-07-25, 10:59 AM
Also, I'm not a fan of Spinning Halberd. 3 feats for +1 to hit and AC and one extra attack at -5? WTF? There's a wide variety of better ways to get extra attacks. Traditional TWF works better. Heck, 1st level Darfellan (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050805a&page=2) gets 1 (bite), and a variant Kobold (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a) with the Draconic Tail feat gets 4 (claw, claw, bite, tail, though you have to be a Monk if you also want to make an unarmed attack, since you can't use your claws and your hands at the same time).

Please take note : The MM is NOT among the books players are allowed to use. No darfellans, no kobolds. Darfellans don't exist in my world, and kobolds are more or less kill-on-sight. The only kobold that is allowed to stay in the town is the one carried around by a troll that the head of the militia befriended during his adventuring days. And that troll is rarely, rarely seen.

I also say no to variant elves, I don't like the baskin robins syndrome. A wild elf has tanned skin and darker hair, etc. Cultural differences rather than stat differences.

Also, spinning halberd isn't that bad of a feat, because two of the feats it requires are useful (TWF and Combat Reflexes), one is alright, particularly when you are a 3/4 BAB class primarily (weapon focus), so really it's like picking up weapon focus, and then spending a feat to get an extra free attack - which also, conveniently, means that in this case he has all three damage types covered. Slashing with the halberd, bludgeoning with the back of the halberd, and peircing with his armor spikes. That's not exactly a horrible thing to have.