PDA

View Full Version : Thunderclap modification (house rule); PEACH

Arkhios
2017-03-02, 08:53 AM
Instead of dealing d6 thunder damage with a CON save, I was wondering if you would instead deal d4 thunder damage and push targets for 5 feet. (Following the same idea behind Thunderwave, which deals thunder damage, is really loud, and pushes targets for 10 feet.)

What do you think, would that be balanced and moreover would that make the cantrip a little more interesting pick?

Mikal
2017-03-02, 08:59 AM
Instead of dealing d6 thunder damage with a CON save, I was wondering if you would instead deal d4 thunder damage and push targets for 5 feet. (Following the same idea behind Thunderwave, which deals thunder damage, is really loud, and pushes targets for 10 feet.)

What do you think, would that be balanced and moreover would that make the cantrip a little more interesting pick?

If this is for Yrden see the spell idea I put up in the other thread. :smallsmile:

Using the DMG guidelines I think a special rider for one damage die type lower is fine. You'd still need to do the CON save though for the effects.

Deleted
2017-03-02, 10:09 AM

D10 = single target damage
D8 = single target damage + effect
D6 = multi target
D4 = multi target + effect.

Honestly, I could see it staying at d6, I mean, Con save is going to be one of the higher saves for a lot of creature (who don't typically have good saves to begin with).

Plus most d4's don't roll that well (or at all) and I find them to be more annoyong than anything. I picked up a 12 sided d4 years ago and mever looked back.

tieren
2017-03-02, 10:15 AM
Between this and lightning lure and sea sorcerer could really get into some forced movement shenanigans.

BigONotation
2017-03-02, 10:34 AM
Please don't put PEACH in your titles, this is a forum where people who are interested will respond without your inducement. Plus, it is an extremely long acronym that is uncommonly used.

Deleted
2017-03-02, 10:37 AM
Please don't put PEACH in your titles, this is a forum where people who are interested will respond without your inducement. Plus, it is an extremely long acronym that is uncommonly used.

1: I see it used all the damn time.

2: Please stop being triggered that someone is asking for help. This might be the most backwards thing I've ever seen someone get triggered over.

DivisibleByZero
2017-03-02, 11:04 AM
Plus, it is an extremely long acronym that is uncommonly used.

Me too. And even after literally years I still have no clue what it actually stands for. Nor do I care.

DracoKnight
2017-03-02, 11:22 AM
Me too. And even after literally years I still have no clue what it actually stands for. Nor do I care.

I know you said you don't care, but this is more for others who might not know:

"Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly"

It gets more use in the Homebrew forum.

Arkhios
2017-03-02, 03:15 PM

In case you didn't notice, I keep the acronym in my signature because there are always people who don't know the meaning.

And I agree with the guys above. I see it used ridiculously often. Maybe not in this particular sub-forum but there's probably like every second post with the acronym in the Homebrew Design sub-forum just on the first page.

I also find it really odd to be triggered from a habit such as this which I consider as a quite polite way to pique interest for those who care or drive away those who are not interested.

Really, I must ask: Why is this so big a problem to you? No one else has ever before spoken against it like you did.

Arkhios
2017-03-02, 03:18 PM
If this is for Yrden see the spell idea I put up in the other thread. :smallsmile:

Using the DMG guidelines I think a special rider for one damage die type lower is fine. You'd still need to do the CON save though for the effects.

No, it was actually more like a general question that sprung up from the Yrden idea :)

I thought it felt interesting enough to use as a default (house) rule and I just wanted to see if anyone else had an opinion whether it's balanced. And, indeed, I intended to write it more clearly (and state that the same CON save would apply to ignoring both the damage and the push) if I made a compilation of other modified spells with Homebrewery at some point.

Cybren
2017-03-02, 05:26 PM

2: Please stop being triggered that someone is asking for help. This might be the most backwards thing I've ever seen someone get triggered over.

Please stop throwing around clinical terms lightly

SharkForce
2017-03-02, 05:53 PM
seems fine to me. it starts off not being excessively strong, and gets progressively less useful as the effect doesn't increase in value but the damage continues to be very low. be advised, the main problem with thunderclap will still exist (last i checked, it targets nearby creatures, which doesn't exclude allies).

(personally, i don't like PEACH because it should be unnecessary; these forums are a medium for public discussion. nobody should need to be told that you want feedback or that you don't want to be told lies. also my experience with PEACH is that the person using it all too often doesn't mean what it says, so in addition to the idea of needing to specifically request honest critique after properly reading the material being absurd, in my experience half the people who ask for critique really just mean "praise my awesome idea and don't point out any flaws" or "if you think my idea has flaws, you're contractually obligated to fix them for me if you want to mention them, otherwise you're a horrible person". PEACH has left a bad taste in my mouth as a result).

(or, as an old signature from the WotC forums said... please stop putting PEACH into your thread titles. it implies that there is some other way you could possibly want your post to be read.

PROBSAL: Please Read, Offer Bad Suggestions, And Lie)

Deleted
2017-03-02, 06:35 PM
Please stop throwing around clinical terms lightly

So, you are getting triggered that someone used the vastly popular term triggered...

Wow, this is getting super meta or you don't get how conversations work.

Do you go after people who say butt load when they arent referring to the unit of measurement of wine? What about when someone says "dang, that was siiiick".

One thread and two instances of the most backwards triggerings I've ever seen.

(Unless you are joking in which case... Use blue, italics, or the ever popular /s).

Cybren
2017-03-02, 06:44 PM
So, you are getting triggered that someone used the vastly popular term triggered...

Wow, this is getting super meta or you don't get how conversations work.

Do you go after people who say butt load when they arent referring to the unit of measurement of wine? What about when someone says "dang, that was siiiick".

One thread and two instances of the most backwards triggerings I've ever seen.

(Unless you are joking in which case... Use blue, italics, or the ever popular /s).

No I'm saying people with PTSD don't need the language of that condition to be made light of by internet jokes about "being triggered", which is a specific type of event that isn't funny and causes actual harm to peoples lives.

Deleted
2017-03-03, 12:59 AM
No I'm saying people with PTSD don't need the language of that condition to be made light of by internet jokes about "being triggered", which is a specific type of event that isn't funny and causes actual harm to peoples lives.

See, now you are using the word triggered to mean something more specific that what it really means.

Kinda hypocritical of you.

"Trigger: something (as a specific act or stimulus) that in interaction with the body constitutes a physiological trigger; especially : one by which an attack (as of disease or referred pain) is precipitated."

You are trying to make trigger about a specific thing and not leave it as its general term.

Also, like many words, there are "professional" uses and "general" uses. Stop trying to turn freedom of speach into freedom from speech.

Cybren
2017-03-03, 01:02 AM
That's exactly the definition we are both using. "Triggered" in the Internet lexicon exists as a way to mock people who had suffered abuse. Your doubling down on that and bringing up "freedom of speech" would seem to indicate your use wasn't any nobler.

Arkhios
2017-03-03, 01:44 AM
Guys, enough! What's been said is done. That's it. Move on. Do you really - honestly - want to turn every thread into an off-topic argue-fest? Please, don't.

Deleted
2017-03-03, 10:52 AM
Guys, enough! What's been said is done. That's it. Move on. Do you really - honestly - want to turn every thread into an off-topic argue-fest? Please, don't.

When people get offended that people say please... Things get heated.

Also when people whine about common words and get upset because they want safe spaces from vastly common words... Things get heated.

As someone who battles PTSD, getting upset at someone using the word "triggered" isn't helping me or anyone else. Triggered, as a clinical word, isn't specific to one thing. It's amazing that words can be flexible and used differently!

But for the original topic...

Find a shop like...

https://www.thediceshoponline.com/dice-sets/1220/Doublesix-Dice

And grab a 12 sided d4 and go with that! I find that these type of d4s feel better and give better out comes (more diverse) on a multitude of surfaces. Many times gaming tables don't let the triangle d4 roll/bounce well enough.

Arkhios
2017-03-03, 03:18 PM
seems fine to me. it starts off not being excessively strong, and gets progressively less useful as the effect doesn't increase in value but the damage continues to be very low. be advised, the main problem with thunderclap will still exist (last i checked, it targets nearby creatures, which doesn't exclude allies).

It's still a cantrip, though. Cantrips are not supposed to be as strong as spells of first level and higher, and it's fair to have a downside like this. And it also makes you think when you should use which cantrip. I would say that having the ability to Push multiple creatures even if just 5 feet away from you could have a meaningful impact on the course of battle. It might let you escape from a small group of enemies that have come too close to you.

And grab a 12 sided d4 and go with that! I find that these type of d4s feel better and give better out comes (more diverse) on a multitude of surfaces. Many times gaming tables don't let the triangle d4 roll/bounce well enough.

While I see what you mean, when throwing/rolling dice, one could always say "It's in the wrist, if you know what I mean, hyuk hyuk!" :smallbiggrin: