PDA

View Full Version : Making Terrain

clee19892
2017-03-02, 09:06 AM
Preface: I apologize if this doesn't belong in this Forum and would gladly accept a moderator moving it to its proper place.

With that out of the way I'll get to what I am wondering. How many people on here make their own terrain (everything from the actual terrain to buildings and such)? I'm wanting to see about getting into it and have cast three items from Plaster of Paris, but they turned out pretty heavy. I also tried some Great Stuff Large Gap Filler, but found it stuck to the cardboard mold (I work retail, some of the trash from stocking shelves have potential as molds).

For the most part I was wondering if anyone has used other casting mediums (like Merlin's Magic Plaster or expanding polyurethane).

Thank you for any and all responses.

Artman77
2017-03-16, 11:30 PM
Flat terrain isn't as pretty, but it's more practical to play on than 3D tiles. This guy has a bunch of good videos on how to make cool tiles and props cheaply: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfM2LNIIcao&list=PLvHnaAPK1_Jg0i7Ykfv8tWLiH47rd569G

Chromat
2017-03-21, 04:01 AM
I do my own miniature terrain for Malifaux game. Mostly from stirodur and some paint and some flock. Very zen hobby :) but somewhat time consuming if you want it to look good.

I tried expanding foam but its more hassle than just cutting and gluing stirodur with PVA glue. I mainly did some hills with that.

I watched a lot of tutorials first though.