PDA

View Full Version : Help with Building a boss encounter (The Green Goblin)

IIzak
2017-03-02, 10:47 AM
So my players are assaulting an mountain dungeon called "Goblin Peak" and I was tossing around ideas and thought to myself "how funny would it be to have them fight the Green Goblin." So I started working on making an NPC that was literally the Green Goblin, or at least as close as I can get him. This is what I have so far that I think would be interesting, and I want to see what people would add to this build to make it better. All books are open, so any ideas would be greatly appreciated, especially with feat selection. I thought Alchemist Savant was interesting just because then he could throw something other than alchemist fire.

Name: Norman Osborne
Class: Wizard 5/Alchemist Savant 3
Race: Goblin
Alignment: CE

Stats (After racial modification and level modification) (Initial Rolled array: 9, 14, 15, 14, 15, 18)
Str: 7 = -2
Dex: 18 = +4
Con: 16 = +3
Int: 18 = +4
Wis: 14 = +2
Cha: 12 = +1

HP: 59
AC:
BAB: +3
Fort: 7
Ref: 6
Will: 7
Initiative: At least +4, not sure if I want to give him improved initiative and a wand of Nerveskitter yet
Familiar: Toad

If i take the ACF that trades scribe scroll for fighter feats, I figure I can take improved initiative and Point-Blank Shot at first level, then Brew Potion at 3rd, then idk what to take at 5 or 6.

I'm also giving him 10,000 GP to spend on all of his equipment, so any suggestions on what he should carry with him would be helpful as well. Like I said, I'm thinking about a wand of nerveskitter, and I'm going to just straight up give him a magic carpet to simulate the glider, so no need to worry about that.

As I said, any suggestions on other feats to take, ways to improve him as a combatant, things you would add on or do differently would be appreciated. Thanks

Kol Korran
2017-03-02, 02:27 PM
1) Some ideas:
I'm no expert at builds, but if you're willing to use Pathfinder, then the alchemist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist/) is right up your alley:
- Great at alchemy, so they can produce a lot of nasty stuff.
- Throwing bombs (And with discoveries possibly very special bombs. :smallwink:)
- Mutagens that raise their dex, reduce their wis, and may alter their appearance.
- Extracts for many various effects, which are kept in a scientist formula book.

Also, if you are going with goblin, you might consider the fire bomber archetype (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-goblin/fire-bomber-alchemist-goblin/) perhaps?

2) If you are going with 3.5, perhaps use the Artificer class? (From Eberron), basically an inventor, that creates a lot of alchemical and magical stuff as his main power. You can use that to justify why he has such specific custom gear, and why he may have more gear than his level might indicate...

Again, no expert on builds, but these sound like they might fit well.

Venger
2017-03-02, 02:35 PM
alchemist savant is indeed the perfect choice to build the green goblin. spellvials replicate his pumpkin bombs ideally.

if you were looking for more stuff, you might look at clockwork armor (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20070212a) to strengthen the technological theme and offer some additional protection.

While the build as presented doesn't seem especially brutish, this might be cause to tweak the bonuses the armor offers to be slightly more relevant (maybe it has a glider incorporated so he can fly?) or you might have him ride on an effigy bat he bought from someplace since, as an npc, he won't necessarily need effigy master levels to make it himself.

daremetoidareyo
2017-03-02, 03:53 PM
Flying carpet keyed to goblin subtype?