PDA

View Full Version : Help Request: Monster Cr

GR0PED
2017-03-02, 11:45 AM
Hey guys i have been struggling to put together or find the half dragon bear beast made by using the half dragon template was wondering if theres an easy way to add the breath weapon and resistance to a 1 cr beast to make it 2 / 3 cr and use that for multiple beasts. Failing that does anyone have any stats for an already made half dragon bear for wild shaping ~

Idkwhatmyscreen
2017-03-02, 11:54 AM
If I recall correctly to add a resistance you treat is Hp as 1.5 times what it actually is

So what you need to do is look at the table in the Dmg, find its Hp*1.5 and then look at that Cr for Expected Damage per round and you can give it a breath weapon less then or equal to this amount with no problems

As far as wild shaping goes, If I remember correctly if you give a creature the half dragon template, won't it be a dragon?

Ninja_Prawn
2017-03-02, 11:58 AM
As far as wild shaping goes, If I remember correctly if you give a creature the half dragon template, won't it be a dragon?

Nope, the template doesn't change creature type. According to the MM, it doesn't even change the subtype.

I don't have time to make a half-dragon bear right now, but if no one has done it by the time I get home, I'll have a crack.

GR0PED
2017-03-02, 12:29 PM
Nope, the template doesn't change creature type. According to the MM, it doesn't even change the subtype.

I don't have time to make a half-dragon bear right now, but if no one has done it by the time I get home, I'll have a crack.
would be appreciated :D im not home for another 5 hours but ill see what cr it comes out at when I throw it together perhaps I am doing it right but again i havent done this before

Ninja_Prawn
2017-03-02, 01:57 PM
Well, here are two to get you started. They both contain errors carried forward from the MM. :smallannoyed:

The Auburn Bear
http://i67.tinypic.com/2md0048.png
The Thundercat
http://i68.tinypic.com/14vqkbm.png

Idkwhatmyscreen
2017-03-02, 02:49 PM
Well, here are two to get you started. They both contain errors carried forward from the MM. :smallannoyed:

The Auburn Bear
The Thundercat

That is a lot of AoE Damage, Not many 2nd/3rd level characters have that much Hp, right? Is there something I am missing here?

Ninja_Prawn
2017-03-02, 02:55 PM
That is a lot of AoE Damage, Not many 2nd/3rd level characters have that much Hp, right? Is there something I am missing here?

I did the maths. These guys have almost no defensive CR - they're glass cannons.

Though it looks like the lightning breath is wrong. That's what I get for relying on software rather than doing it by hand. It should be a 30-foot line of 4d10. That would probably drop it to CR2. To be honest, I like it being CR3, so I'd maybe cut it 8d10 or something...

Idkwhatmyscreen
2017-03-02, 03:08 PM
I did the maths. These guys have almost no defensive CR - they're glass cannons.

Though it looks like the lightning breath is wrong. That's what I get for relying on software rather than doing it by hand. It should be a 30-foot line of 4d10. That would probably drop it to CR2. To be honest, I like it being CR3, so I'd maybe cut it 8d10 or something...

That makes sense, I figured as much, but I am glad that my comment has help refined the damage a little bit

GR0PED
2017-03-02, 07:23 PM
Thanks Ninja_Prawn for the work looking for a more general pumped up 2 cr beast than a glass cannon though ^^;; something that would feel great but not op also think you may of made a mistake with the fire breath dmg ?~

Now i am home i managed to throw something together and i think it is 2 cr.. But to be honest i don't really know so if someone could give it a look over that would be awesome @.@

http://i63.tinypic.com/9zoaps.jpg

Forgot to add in keen smell ~

Ninja_Prawn
2017-03-03, 01:54 AM
i think it is 2 cr.

It is. But it's still a glass cannon: defense is 1/4 and attack is 4. Really it's only marginally different from mine, which is as per the RAW for half-dragons. That's always going to be a problem with adding this template to beasts, since most of them have more offense than defence to start with, and the template only adds to that.

GR0PED
2017-03-03, 05:18 AM
Ah I see that makes alot of sense. Was basing it off other 2cr beasts.. realized I forgot to nerf the breath attack too