PDA

View Full Version : Unique Monsters

Cardea
2017-03-02, 11:49 AM
I'm hunting for monsters that are unique and singular in their nature. As in, there is only one of it. The Terrasque, Dalmosh, and Master of the Hunt are all examples of this, but I'm in need of five or so more. They can't be entries where its just another monster that's been advanced and given a unique entry, either, and it cannot be just an existing creature with templates slapped on. It needs to be a monster entirely singular in its nature. So far I'm scouring 3.5, but I'm open to any other monsters in older or newer editions. Can anyone give suggestions?

ATHATH
2017-03-02, 12:00 PM
Deities?

Isn't the Adamantine Horror a unique creature as well?

Inevitability
2017-03-02, 12:18 PM
Deities?

It is indeed.

Venger
2017-03-02, 12:32 PM
the sharn's archetypal form ability means there can only ever be one. you can't even morph into it.

Zaq
2017-03-02, 12:47 PM
Archdevils and Demon Lords (or is it Archdemons and Devil Lords? I always forget) are generally considered to be unique. Crazy high CR, but you probably knew that already. I think there's also some Good-aligned equivalents in BoED, but I forget if they're statted or just fluffed out.

Lord_Gareth
2017-03-02, 12:48 PM
MMV has a bunch of them, including my personal favorite, Illurien of the Myriad Glimpses

Cardea
2017-03-02, 12:56 PM
Deities?

Indeed it is, but only because of the text "only one is believed to exist."

the sharn's archetypal form ability means there can only ever be one. you can't even morph into it.
At a quick glance of Sharn on the Faerun wiki, they're addressed as a species, not a singular entity.

Archdevils and Demon Lords (or is it Archdemons and Devil Lords? I always forget) are generally considered to be unique. Crazy high CR, but you probably knew that already. I think there's also some Good-aligned equivalents in BoED, but I forget if they're statted or just fluffed out.
Of course, but I am trying to veer towards things that just exist in the nature of D&D, and not part of any power scheme.

MMV has a bunch of them, including my personal favorite, Illurien of the Myriad Glimpses
That is perfect, thank you.

frogglesmash
2017-03-02, 04:48 PM
The Manual of the Planes has a unique creature that is also a demi plane.

Matrota
2017-03-02, 05:05 PM
I believe there are a lot in the epic level handbook. One of my favorits is Kezef the Chaos Hound.

Quertus
2017-03-02, 05:37 PM

Ravenloft?

frogglesmash
2017-03-02, 05:49 PM
Ravenloft?

Neth, the Plane that Lives. It's on page 154 in Manual of the Planes.

Cardea
2017-03-02, 07:21 PM
That's more 'awakened plane' and less 'unique creature'.

I believe there are a lot in the epic level handbook. One of my favorits is Kezef the Chaos Hound.
Thanks for the suggestion. Would have just ignored the book otherwise.

Deox
2017-03-02, 08:15 PM
Teratomorph from the MMII.

Can't recall if it fits your "unique" criteron or not, however.

Inevitability
2017-03-03, 05:55 AM

I'm fairly sure Champions of Ruin recreated some of those.

Thurbane
2017-03-03, 08:20 AM
Talos the Triple Iron Golem (CR 22, BoVD p.148)
Celestial Paragons (16 of them, BoVD p.125-149)
Uni (CR 2, Animated Series Handbook p.15)
King Kong Island Ape (CR 12, EttRoG p.203)

Karl Aegis
2017-03-03, 09:07 AM
The Corpse Tearer, The Midgard Serpent, The Dragon of Tyr, and The Undead Dragon King Dregoth were labeled as "Unique" in AD&D. Maybe Bahamut and Tiamat if you want to get into newer stuff.

Cardea
2017-03-03, 11:00 AM
Teratomorph from the MMII.

Can't recall if it fits your "unique" criteron or not, however.
It does, actually. Its entry refers to it in the singular.

Gonna check there next, thank you.

Talos the Triple Iron Golem (CR 22, BoVD p.148)
Celestial Paragons (16 of them, BoVD p.125-149)
Uni (CR 2, Animated Series Handbook p.15)
King Kong Island Ape (CR 12, EttRoG p.203)

Uni notwithstanding, thanks for the heads up on Talos. Edit: It doesn't fit the criteria, to clarify, but I have been adding things to a separate list for powerful constructs, and this is a fine addition.

The Corpse Tearer, The Midgard Serpent, The Dragon of Tyr, and The Undead Dragon King Dregoth were labeled as "Unique" in AD&D. Maybe Bahamut and Tiamat if you want to get into newer stuff.
I hadn't gone into older versions yet, but thanks for these.

Zaq
2017-03-03, 11:12 AM
Oh, and we can't forget Primus.

Karl Aegis
2017-03-03, 11:14 AM
Corpse Tearers did show up in the Monster Manual II under "L" if you wanted to look them up. Pretty sure that means they are no longer unique, though...

inuyasha
2017-03-03, 11:17 AM
I believe that in Pathfinder, Grendel, as in the creature from Beowulf, is given stats as a unique, mythic creature.

Cardea
2017-03-03, 11:21 AM
Oh, and we can't forget Primus.
Yes we can? In 2e he's referred to as a God, and in 3.5 he just is, outside of being a Vestige.

Corpse Tearers did show up in the Monster Manual II under "L" if you wanted to look them up. Pretty sure that means they are no longer unique, though...
Yeah, they aren't, which is a bummer.

I believe that in Pathfinder, Grendel, as in the creature from Beowulf, is given stats as a unique, mythic creature.
Not using Pathfinder. Not using creatures converted straight from stories.

Pronounceable
2017-03-03, 11:26 AM
Corpse Tearers did show up in the Monster Manual II under "L"
How'd that even happen? I smell a rat.

Cardea
2017-03-03, 11:29 AM
How'd that even happen? I smell a rat.
Corpse Tearers are Linnorms.

Zaq
2017-03-03, 11:58 AM
I forgot that Primus gained "lesser deity (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20010921a)" status in 3.5, but you do seem to be correct. In 2e, it was a Power, but that's not the same as a deity (quite a lot of things are Powers without being deities, according to the few 2e Planescape books I have). I don't personally like thinking of Primus as an actual deity, but I won't argue with the book.

Can we have any fun with the concept of the oinoloth (Manual of the Planes, pp. 109-110)? It's less a creature and more a title, but nonetheless, there can be only one at once, and there's definitely some interesting plot potential there.

Cardea
2017-03-03, 12:03 PM
I forgot that Primus gained "lesser deity (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20010921a)" status in 3.5, but you do seem to be correct. In 2e, it was a Power, but that's not the same as a deity (quite a lot of things are Powers without being deities, according to the few 2e Planescape books I have). I don't personally like thinking of Primus as an actual deity, but I won't argue with the book.

Can we have any fun with the concept of the oinoloth (Manual of the Planes, pp. 109-110)? It's less a creature and more a title, but nonetheless, there can be only one at once, and there's definitely some interesting plot potential there.
Its strictly a title, albeit a specific one for a specific piece of property. Again, creatures that are singular is the goal.

ATHATH
2017-03-03, 12:53 PM
What do you need these for, anyway?

Alabenson
2017-03-03, 01:56 PM
I'm curious, why do you specifically need published monsters for this? I'd have to think it would be easier to either just homebrew a completely new creature or slap a template or five onto an existing creature.

Cardea
2017-03-03, 02:09 PM
What do you need these for, anyway?
Campaign setting I'm working on. Using what I can find, when they fit, as Children of the Gods. Each God gets only one, and that one cannot breed. While I'm able to find a decent variety of singular entity monsters, I'm trying to make sure that they fit with the parent I'm giving them. Illurien becomes the daughter of Breigos, Tide, Kin Eater, The Hunter Beyond Sight, while the Terrasque becomes the son of Acaragos, Avalanche, The Roaming Fortress, The Volcanic Behemoth. It helps put Gods into a better perspective in terms of power or importance, gives me a way to have an "Avatar" for the Gods without having something that seems copy+paste as a stand-in, and lets me actually use some of the more startling and monstrous things that already exist within published material have a place in the world.

I'm curious, why do you specifically need published monsters for this? I'd have to think it would be easier to either just homebrew a completely new creature or slap a template or five onto an existing creature.
Because I want to work within published material. As above, but D&D has a feel to it without adding in stuff, and monsters play a big part of that. I wanted to work within the mythos it created for itself, even if I inevitably tweak the monsters I choose so they fit their role better in the adjusted mythos I'm working on. Its one thing to encounter a Titanic Paragon Monster of Legend Half-[X] Rhino, but its another to fight the Terrasque. A better sense of identity, you know?

That and players are passingly familiar with the big bad names of powerful monsters. It helps make the transition into my setting a bit easier.

The Viscount
2017-03-03, 02:10 PM

Indeed, Champions of Ruin presents us with Eltab, Dendar the Night Serpent, Kezef the Chaos Hound, Ityak the Elf-Eater, Bazim-Gorag the Firebringer, and Malkizid, the Branded King.

Alabenson
2017-03-03, 02:15 PM
Campaign setting I'm working on. Using what I can find, when they fit, as Children of the Gods. Each God gets only one, and that one cannot breed. While I'm able to find a decent variety of singular entity monsters, I'm trying to make sure that they fit with the parent I'm giving them. Illurien becomes the daughter of Breigos, Tide, Kin Eater, The Hunter Beyond Sight, while the Terrasque becomes the son of Acaragos, Avalanche, The Roaming Fortress, The Volcanic Behemoth. It helps put Gods into a better perspective in terms of power or importance, gives me a way to have an "Avatar" for the Gods without having something that seems copy+paste as a stand-in, and lets me actually use some of the more startling and monstrous things that already exist within published material have a place in the world.

Because I want to work within published material. As above, but D&D has a feel to it without adding in stuff, and monsters play a big part of that. I wanted to work within the mythos it created for itself, even if I inevitably tweak the monsters I choose so they fit their role better in the adjusted mythos I'm working on. Its one thing to encounter a Titanic Paragon Monster of Legend Half-[X] Rhino, but its another to fight the Terrasque. A better sense of identity, you know?

That and players are passingly familiar with the big bad names of powerful monsters. It helps make the transition into my setting a bit easier.

Fair enough, in that case you might want to take a look at the Elder Evils from the book of the same name. Most of them would probably work really well for what you're looking for with only minimal tweaking.

Thurbane
2017-03-03, 02:39 PM
I'd actually love to see a table of unique creatures, with their CRs and source reference.

Cardea
2017-03-03, 02:55 PM
Fair enough, in that case you might want to take a look at the Elder Evils from the book of the same name. Most of them would probably work really well for what you're looking for with only minimal tweaking.
Unfortunately no. They're less "monster" and more "created servant of [x]". Its a weird filter, but its something I have to keep in mind. Illurien just wants secrets, Terrasque destroys things, even Master of the Hunt is just "yeah I mean I'll hunt that sure". But the monsters in EE are all along the lines of "ain't no party like a Zargon party because a Zargon party is full of hedonists and we won't stop partying".

I'd actually love to see a table of unique creatures, with their CRs and source reference.
I mean, I'm hunting down every single one at this rate, so I may as well when I'm done.

Bronk
2017-03-03, 03:07 PM
There are a few unique slaad lords as well...

Cardea
2017-03-03, 04:13 PM
There are a few unique slaad lords as well...
Those aren't considered along the same reasoning as Elder Evils and Demon Lords. They're less monster and more agenda-based, as well as being in a power hierarchy.