PDA

View Full Version : DM question about magically built towers.

Dr.Vino
2017-03-02, 01:10 PM
I have a player who is a dark elf sorcerer and he wants to be able to build a tower from magic, but he wants to stand there as it builds itself from the ground up.

I have one of two ideas, a wonderous item that and create something like this but is only a one time use. Or a ritual spell that take however long depending on the size and costs in materials also depending on the size. Maybe a size cap.

I do the know, I could use some fresh thought on this.

His idea for his character is to stand hands raised high as this tower grows out from the ground.

DragonSorcererX
2017-03-02, 01:15 PM
I have a player who is a dark elf sorcerer and he wants to be able to build a tower from magic, but he wants to stand there as it builds itself from the ground up.

I have one of two ideas, a wonderous item that and create something like this but is only a one time use. Or a ritual spell that take however long depending on the size and costs in materials also depending on the size. Maybe a size cap.

His idea for his character is to stand hands raised high as this tower grows out from the ground.

I think that letting him craft a homebrew Staff of Stone (Rare) or something like that, that has all those stone and earth spells like Wall of Stone and Stone Shape would be faster than letting him do the work all by himself (but be aware that with an item like this, your pc can just go around screwing buildings and imploding stuff to crush monsters).

shadowmage
2017-03-02, 01:19 PM
I personally would go for the ritual route. To me it is a very story themed idea of the wizard standing there hands raised in a magic circle as a tower raises from the ground. This is assume your OK with him having the tower. I would not have any thing in it and no defenses beyond the tower walls. I would just have him go on a quest to gather the required components, with the length and difficulty equivalent of how much the tower would cost. I would increase the resource "cost" to have it build faster, unless you want the build time to be part of the challenge. Then maybe have him make a con check and/or Wis checks to maintain the ritual.

Misterwhisper
2017-03-02, 01:23 PM

Essentially he wants a Daern's Instant Fortress, that just builds a little slower and does not hurt people.

Give him a DIF, but takes one minute to summon and does not hurt people but instead of 20/20/30 on dimensions it is 30/30/50 and has 3 floors instead of 2.

Spellbreaker26
2017-03-02, 01:31 PM
Couldn't he just repeatedly use the wall of stone spell? If you concentrate for the duration it becomes permanent; and the spell allows for things like crenellations so I doubt stairs would be difficult.

Typhon
2017-03-02, 01:41 PM
I personally would go for the ritual route. To me it is a very story themed idea of the wizard standing there hands raised in a magic circle as a tower raises from the ground. This is assume your OK with him having the tower. I would not have any thing in it and no defenses beyond the tower walls. I would just have him go on a quest to gather the required components, with the length and difficulty equivalent of how much the tower would cost. I would increase the resource "cost" to have it build faster, unless you want the build time to be part of the challenge. Then maybe have him make a con check and/or Wis checks to maintain the ritual.

I would go with this.

I hope he has a titled parcel of land and has cleared the site for construction though. Lords get mighty upset when random buildings show up as it can mean something villainous is afoot. Not too mention bad things happen to nice places to live when you are not home to watch over them.

shadowmage
2017-03-02, 01:53 PM
My thoughts where based off assume he had land and it was not a mobile type base. Also if you like I would get more thematic and maybe have earth elemental or something raise with the tower and build it up. Then after it is done have them sink back into the earth.

Typhon
2017-03-02, 02:00 PM
Ah. I was assuming it was a long term goal/plan of the sorcerer, lasting legacy and all that. Some players look to the horizon on the day they start adventuring.

Dr.Vino
2017-03-02, 06:17 PM
I think that letting him craft a homebrew Staff of Stone (Rare) or something like that, that has all those stone and earth spells like Wall of Stone and Stone Shape would be faster than letting him do the work all by himself (but be aware that with an item like this, your pc can just go around screwing buildings and imploding stuff to crush monsters).

That's a great idea for a magic item, but it doesn't suit his character. Magic items aren't common in my world so I want to make sure characters get items that suit them...... Besides I don't want him screwing the town's buildings up. 😀

This is what I'm leaning towards, thanks.

Essentially he wants a Daern's Instant Fortress, that just builds a little slower and does not hurt people.

Give him a DIF, but takes one minute to summon and does not hurt people but instead of 20/20/30 on dimensions it is 30/30/50 and has 3 floors instead of 2.

Thanks for this idea, but I might have to create a ritual spell specifically for what he wants.

Couldn't he just repeatedly use the wall of stone spell? If you concentrate for the duration it becomes permanent; and the spell allows for things like crenellations so I doubt stairs would be difficult.

That would take too long and not a very dramatic process. But this WAS what I had at the very beginning thought of.

I would go with this.

I hope he has a titled parcel of land and has cleared the site for construction though. Lords get mighty upset when random buildings show up as it can mean something villainous is afoot. Not too mention bad things happen to nice places to live when you are not home to watch over them.

He does! The other group are building their keep the old fashioned way, harvesting materials and building what they want. You know sorcerer's, always need to be different. There are so many hooks for them building these bases, 1-1/2 days from any town.

My thoughts where based off assume he had land and it was not a mobile type base. Also if you like I would get more thematic and maybe have earth elemental or something raise with the tower and build it up. Then after it is done have them sink back into the earth.

You are absolutely correct! That earth elemental is a fantastic idea! I'll use it and he'll love the flair that I came up with all by myself, without the help from you 😋 j/k

Ah. I was assuming it was a long term goal/plan of the sorcerer, lasting legacy and all that. Some players look to the horizon on the day they start adventuring.

It is a longer term plan, he's level 6 but he wanted this 3 levels ago. It will take time for the others to build their keep. It could be time to start his quest to create his tower.

Sigreid
2017-03-02, 06:23 PM
I haven't checked, but is a lyre of building still a thing? This is pretty much exactly what it does.

Breaklance
2017-03-02, 07:14 PM

I like this idea a lot too. Is the tower or the elemental sinking back into the earth?

Cause I think if you make the player go on a quest to befriend or bind an elemental that then watches over the tower it could solve several issues raised by other posters. Especially if the elemental then sinks the tower into the ground whenever your not around. Who needs traps when enemies can't find your lair!

Typhon
2017-03-02, 07:34 PM
I like this idea a lot too. Is the tower or the elemental sinking back into the earth?

Cause I think if you make the player go on a quest to befriend or bind an elemental that then watches over the tower it could solve several issues raised by other posters. Especially if the elemental then sinks the tower into the ground whenever your not around. Who needs traps when enemies can't find your lair!

Now that is a magical tower.

Dr.Vino
2017-03-02, 08:09 PM

A great add-on to the idea!