PDA

View Full Version : Need help picking a class PF

grandpheonix
2017-03-02, 01:52 PM
So its a level 1 to 5 game. Pick race then roll 3d6 down a line.

I picked half-orc and got these stats with a floating +2

Str 13
Dex 8
Con 16
Int 15
Wis 15
Cha 13

My problem is that these stats work really well with just about ANY class, and i cant place a finger on what i want to play, exactly.

Its a planescape game using pathfinder, sloooooow xp progression, and whatever i pick, im using for the remainder of the game. I want to play an interesting class, so fighter is out immediately in my book. Ive played a wizard in the past, as well as an arcanist, rogue, and sorcerer.

Any input is good! Please help!

exelsisxax
2017-03-02, 02:27 PM
The dex cries out for heavy armor, but that's still a lot due to how easily any non-arcane class can move up from medium to heavy proficiency. Paladin, warpriest, inquisitor, hunter, ranger, slayer are the standard non-standards. Does your DM allow third-party sources? psionic or path of war classes are also interesting while eschewing vancian magic.

legomaster00156
2017-03-02, 02:37 PM
Given that he's using 3d6 in order, I find it unlikely this is a very flexible GM, and so 3rd-party is unlikely.
With these stats, you can make for a decent Cleric.

Krazzman
2017-03-02, 02:54 PM
Scarred witch doctor?
Melee Kineticist?
Some occult class?

You got some really weird rolls.... in 3.5 I would have rolled a dragonfire adept :/

sleepyphoenixx
2017-03-02, 03:03 PM
I'd suggest a cleric, druid or one of the PoW classes, depending on if you'd rather play another spellcaster or go more melee (or even ranged, depending on discipline choice. Ranged PoW characters are a lot of fun).

Personally the druid has always had a special place in my heart, but i can't deny i'm really enjoying my current (archer) Stalker.

grandpheonix
2017-03-02, 10:05 PM
You guessed right, no third party anything.

There is already a kinetecist in the party, as well as an inquisitor and an alchemist.

It dawned on me that i could always have him move towards a mystic theurge, but i feel like id be missing out on a better class set up.

To be fair i didnt give the best info the first time around. I LOOOOOVE combat. I enjoy a grinder, battle after battle, pushing my character to the limits.

His game is... not very combat focused. Hes my best friend (the DM) and his mind is AMAZING when it comes to world building and making your character matter. The worst thing that can happen is that i create a sub par character and become stuck with a character for 20+ sessions (and probably only be level two by then) only to figure out i should have made a bard or something.

CharonsHelper
2017-03-02, 10:19 PM
There is already a kinetecist in the party, as well as an inquisitor and an alchemist.

It dawned on me that i could always have him move towards a mystic theurge, but i feel like id be missing out on a better class set up.

1. With that Dex, Kinetiscist would be one of the worst classes you could pick anyway.

2. Mystic Theurge sucks in Pathfinder. Don't do that to yourself.

Any sort of 9-level caster could work if Int or Wis based. Really - for 3d6 straight down those are some REALLY good stats. All but the Dex are above average.

You could go for a Drunken Master/Sensei monk. It's a really fun combo. Your AC would be a bit sub-par, but it's a semi-support class. Though - as the campaign will end at 5 - you won't ever get to the really cool Sensei stuff. (At level 6 of Sensei you can give all of your monk powers to your buddies - and with Drunken Master you basically have infinite Ki. At 10 you can do it for your whole group at once.)

A heavy armor inquisitor (just burn a feat at 1 or 3) could work well - and half-orcs do them well, especially if you're going for an intimidate build. (Blade of Mercy & Enforcer combo anyone?) Since you like combat but want to be useful out of it - I think that I'd suggest either Inquisitor or Warpriest. The campaign isn't going to high enough level that the lower spellcasting will be a huge issue, and especially the Inquisitor is handy out of combat. (lots of social & knowledges)

Ecliptic
2017-03-02, 11:53 PM
What about a witch? Decent int score, and witch hexes are fun :D

Kurald Galain
2017-03-03, 03:27 AM
To be fair i didnt give the best info the first time around. I LOOOOOVE combat. I enjoy a grinder, battle after battle, pushing my character to the limits.

Magus, then. Very good at combat, and your party lacks an arcane utility caster which the Magus is also good at. Use spells like Vanish and Shield to protect yourself.

CharonsHelper
2017-03-03, 10:39 AM
Magus, then. Very good at combat, and your party lacks an arcane utility caster which the Magus is also good at. Use spells like Vanish and Shield to protect yourself.

I don't think he has the Dex for it. They can't wear heavier armors until high levels - and they wade into melee.

His STR is kinda low for it too. One of the few issues magi have, especially at low levels, is accuracy. Other combat focused mid BAB classes have accuracy boosters. (Inquisitor/Warpriest/Monk/Bard etc.) At higher levels it doesn't matter as much since they mostly just need to get their first swing/spell to hit rather than needing their iteratives as much.

Calthropstu
2017-03-03, 11:06 AM
You guessed right, no third party anything.

His game is... not very combat focused. Hes my best friend (the DM) and his mind is AMAZING when it comes to world building and making your character matter. The worst thing that can happen is that i create a sub par character and become stuck with a character for 20+ sessions (and probably only be level two by then) only to figure out i should have made a bard or something.

Funny that you mention bard, I was rhinking of it... definitely not rogue. Looks best for a wis or int based class.

I'd go druid myself, focused on spellcasting. Maybe an augment summoning build?

Shinn
2017-03-03, 12:08 PM
I'll suggest a Cavalier : heavy armor, not that much needing for Dexterity, and you would be a great tank.

Vogie
2017-03-03, 03:19 PM
I'd second the druid suggestion.

You get plenty of utility spells and can wild shape and plow into combat if need be.

Rerednaw
2017-03-03, 07:56 PM
OP said 1 to 5...many classes and builds do not really go online till when this campaign is over.

I'd lean more towards witch because of their flexibility but they are too squishy for someone who loves combat.

Maybe shaman? No hexes till 2nd, but a well rounded class with a variety of options. Little beefier than a witch too.

Or um...Spiritualist? A weaker version of the Summoner but serviceable out of the gate. Alternatively a pre chained Summoner is amazing. Post chained is still ok. And you can live combat vicariously through your Eidolon.

junlogji
2017-03-03, 07:58 PM
So its a level 1 to 5 game. Pick race then roll 3d6 down a line.

I picked half-orc and got these stats with a floating +2

Str 13
Dex 8
Con 16
Int 15
Wis 15
Cha 13

My problem is that these stats work really well with just about ANY class, and i cant place a finger on what i want to play, exactly.

Its a planescape game using pathfinder, sloooooow xp progression, and whatever i pick, im using for the remainder of the game. I want to play an interesting class, so fighter is out immediately in my book. Ive played a wizard in the past, as well as an arcanist, rogue, and sorcerer.

Any input is good! Please help!

in my opinion this is not the best spread to stay in one class in but i think a kineticist is an interesting class for this thread that no one seems to have brought up

Oneris
2017-03-03, 08:15 PM
in my opinion this is not the best spread to stay in one class in but i think a kineticist is an interesting class for this thread that no one seems to have brought up
It was brought up in the 4th post and promptly vetoed because the party already has a kineticist.

Shaman is pretty fun, and can cover nearly any party role at later levels. Your Charisma is a bit low so be careful which hexes you choose.

Morbis Meh
2017-03-04, 12:24 AM
Middle Age half elf synthesist summoner for the lulz Who needs physical stats NOW? You would start with a 16 in all of you mental stats so thats pretty good and you would have the physical stats to go toe to toe with most yhings in combat. With the right traits you can also be the party face so win win win?

NamelessNPC
2017-03-04, 04:43 AM
I'll third shaman. With that charisma and intelligence you can pick the Lore spirit and poach useful spells from the wizard list.

Psyren
2017-03-04, 02:25 PM
I'd second Spiritualist. Aside from a great Con score, your physical stats are awful, and your Cha is too low for Summoner. Having a Phantom handy to take the beatings for you would therefore be ideal.

Malacandra
2017-03-04, 03:44 PM
In a low-level campaign you won't really get the Druid wildshape rolling until the campaign's heading towards a conclusion, but you can still bring a companion to the party in addition to any nature's allies you rustle up. As a half-orc you won't have the extra feat needed to get Augment Summoning at level one, but you'll get it soon enough. Ferocity's a nice ability to have when you can use your round of grace to heal yourself.