PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Looking for insight on psionic homebrew

Typhon
2017-03-02, 04:39 PM
So, I am homebrewing an updated Psionicist/psionics set for 5e. I have seen the Mystic v2 and see what they are trying to do, but feel that they may be going in a wrong direction. No I am not looking to redo 4e or 3.X as 4e was really limited and 3.x was more like magic 2.0.

More likely it will be closer to 2nd ed as I feel that had more of the right flavoring, but I will probably be adding in some elements that are more easily usable without trying to clutter up more mechanical mayhem. I want it to be fulfilling but, simple.

What I am seeking is what would people like to see. I am not completely designing to the wants of players, but just some great ideas for flavor. I have a rough sketch up, but I need some additional input.

I am going to set 5 archtypes; Clairsentience, Psymetabolic, Psychokinetic, Telepathic, and Psychoportative. Metacreative never fit and felt forced. Metapsionics will be specific powers, skills and abilities using psionic power.

For power levels, I was setting out to have talents, devotions, and sciences. Talents will be roughly cantrip to 1st level equivalents and scale with level. Devotions will be 1-5 level roughly, and boostable. While sciences will fill out the end level of power and be equally boostable. I consisdered bringing back high sciences, but I think that might be a bit much.

I do plan on at least one archtype per existing class, but I wanted to get the basic Psionicist/Disciple/Mystic completed first.