PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick spells for a just turned 7th evoker, please

Glarnog
2017-03-02, 08:44 PM
My High Elf evoker wizard just hit 7th lvl. I was hoping for some suggestions for the two new spells he gets. Besides official D&D sources The Book of Lost Spells is available too. His Intelligence is 19. I think maybe utility over raw power.

Currently he has (P denotes usually prepared spells):
First level spells:
Burning hands
Charm person P
Comprehend language
Detect magic
Identify
Mage armor
Shield P
Sleep P
Magic missile P
Find familiar
Unseen servant
Tenser's floating disk
Expeditious retreat

Second level spells:
Cloud of daggers
See invisibility
Alter self P
Melf's acid arrow
Scorching ray P
Spider climb
Misty step P
Gentle repose

Third level spells:
Fireball P
Animate Dead P
Leomund's tiny hut
Sleet storm
Lightening bolt
Fly P

Fourth level spells (from previously found spell books):
Dimension door
Polymorph
Stoneskin

Any help or suggestions are welcome. He's from the starter set and we don't play that often. Also I'm posting from my phone so I apologise if it comes out funky.

Thanks

Desamir
2017-03-02, 08:57 PM
I don't usually play blaster wizards, but I can recommend some good control/utility type spells.

Polymorph - you already have this, Giant Ape is awesome at this level. T-Rex when you hit 8th level.
Evard's Black Tentacles - Upgraded Web with some damage tacked on. They have to burn an action to even attempt to escape it. Really great spell.
Banishment - good single-target control, if you can hit the scariest target with it. Charisma save. Permanent for certain creature types.
Otiluke's Resilient Sphere - I actually prefer this to Banishment. The save is worse (Dexterity), and the target can still move around a little bit, but the fact that you can cast it on yourself or an ally to give them invulnerability for a minute makes this extremely versatile.
Greater Invisibility - This is a pretty good combat buff for your melee damage dealer, but I'd rather cast something that shuts down a bunch of monsters.
Wall of Fire - decent damage.
Confusion - I wish this spell was better, because confusion-type effects are my favorite. Unreliable control and they get to save every turn. But it doesn't look like you have hypnotic pattern or fear, so this is an okay proxy.

retaliation08
2017-03-02, 09:41 PM
Elemental Bane from EE can be good for an evoker as it adds damage per round and negates resistance to a damage type, all of which is based on a damage type of your choice. Admittedly it is probably better for Dragon Sorcerers, but it could work for you.

Otherwise, things like Banishment and Greater Invisibility are good for concentration. Blight is really the only non concentration damage spell at this level that I have noticed.

BladedWizard
2017-03-03, 08:58 AM
I would not bother preparing Sleep anymore. After level 5 it loses its power.

And I second Desamir regarding the next spell to learn.

RulesJD
2017-03-03, 10:53 AM
Wall of Fire is the only Evocation spell you really care about out of the level 4 spells. Used intelligently (pun intended) it can deal out some massive damage when you realize that you only get a save against the damage when it initially appears. Any other damage is an automatic 5d8, no save.

The down side is that means you can only sculpt your party around the initial damage, not the secondary. Oh well.

With that said, the most useful 4th level spells are Dimension Door, Greater Invisibility (prevents being Counterspelled), Ottos Res Sphere (for later levels when you get Contingency), and Polymorph (Giant Ape form, 'nuff said).

Choose from those depending on your party needs.

sir_argo
2017-03-03, 07:11 PM
For selecting your two spells for your new level, I would choose only 4th level from an economics perspective. Let's just pretend you want to add two 4th, three 3rd and a 2nd level spell. It's cheaper to take the two 4th as your freebies and then buy the other four spells.

But let's set that aside and say you have no options to buy spells. I'd go with...

Cone of Cold
Counterspell

Cone of cold has just an immense area effect. And you are an evoker.
To me, Counterspell occupies a permanent slot in memory.

Edit: I just re-read the OP and see that you wanted more utility than power. Nix Cone of Cold and go with Greater Invisibility.