PDA

View Full Version : Berserker strength not ending

tedcahill2
2017-03-03, 08:50 AM
So I'm looking at the berserker strength (rage variant) and it says that a barbarian can't end their berserker state. So it sounds like they are constantly berserk if they are past the HP threshold required to trigger it.

What does that mean? I know it doesn't mean they're running around town killing every peasant they see, but can't agree on what it does entail.

Necroticplague
2017-03-03, 09:31 AM
So I'm looking at the berserker strength (rage variant) and it says that a barbarian can't end their berserker state. So it sounds like they are constantly berserk if they are past the HP threshold required to trigger it.

What does that mean? I know it doesn't mean they're running around town killing every peasant they see, but can't agree on what it does entail.

Agree with whom?

Anyway, the effects are clear: Berserker Strength doesn't have any effect on your behavior outside of the fact it puts you in the same limits as Rage does.

While raging, a barbarian cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except for Balance, Escape Artist, Intimidate, and Ride), the Concentration skill, or any abilities that require patience or concentration, nor can he cast spells or activate magic items that require a command word, a spell trigger (such as a wand), or spell completion (such as a scroll) to function. He can use any feat he has except Combat Expertise, item creation feats, and metamagic feats.
This isn't Frenzy, and you're under no obligation to attack anything. So, until they go unconcious or are healed, they are impatient and can't concentrate, but are stronger and tougher. Presumably, they come off as irritable and seething.

Fouredged Sword
2017-03-03, 01:09 PM
Yeah, you are easily distracted and can't calm down. Nothing says your actions are out of control, you are just angry.

Thurbane
2017-03-03, 03:52 PM
Is there some kind of trick where you can intentionally always be under the threshold to have Berserker Strength constantly active?

Flickerdart
2017-03-03, 03:58 PM
Is there some kind of trick where you can intentionally always be under the threshold to have Berserker Strength constantly active?

Yes. A character whose maximum HP is under 5*barbarian level is always berserker raging. Such a character would be wise to find a method of protection that prevents him from taking HP damage. Possibly, temporary HP will work, since they are not added to the HP total, but this is up to the DM.

flappeercraft
2017-03-03, 03:59 PM

Well, Delay death+Beastland ferocity+Stab yourself many times.

Inevitability
2017-03-03, 04:05 PM

The Flux Adept Iron Chef round had an entry (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19994504&postcount=83) that did basically this.

tedcahill2
2017-03-03, 04:14 PM

Well I know if my game I'm going to state that self inflicted damage won't count, but I'm also giving my berserkers a daily ability, starting as level 4, that gives a few rounds of fast healing (I'm thinking fast heal = to berserker level, for a number of rounds = to Con modifier).

OldTrees1
2017-03-03, 04:35 PM

Yes. Heal up using Touch of Healing.
1d12+3 = 9.5hp per HD. Touch of Healing heals you to roughly half hp which is under 5*class level.

Necroticplague
2017-03-03, 05:03 PM

Well, simply having low CON can do it. 1d12-2=4.5 on average, while your threshhold is 5xlevel (assuming straight barbarian). Thus, a barbarian with 6-7 con can be in a state of perpetual Berserk.

Gruftzwerg
2017-03-03, 05:23 PM

Fleash & Clay Half-Golems (Template) get another form of Berserk. Starts once you get hit and ends when you or the attacker is dead.

Twurps
2017-03-03, 05:30 PM
Fleash & Clay Half-Golems (Template) get another form of Berserk. Starts once you get hit and ends when you or the attacker is dead.

All the more reason to stab yourself.

Zaq
2017-03-03, 11:44 PM
The Flux Adept Iron Chef round had an entry (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19994504&postcount=83) that did basically this.

That entry was WEIRD. And hard to judge. Don't get me wrong—it was definitely attention-grabbing. But it was a bit of a mess.

MHCD
2017-03-04, 06:28 AM
Relevant (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=17020.0) discussions (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?235933-Schrodinger-s-Bear-Warrior)

Treehugger does it well.