PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next (Paladin Oath) Oath of the Pact

Xuldarinar
2017-03-03, 11:37 AM
Oath of the Pact
The Oath of the Pact is a strange and diverse oath, committing a paladin to the service of patrons more often held by warlock. Most often this occurs when a paladin follows down the path of their training and calls out to dark powers in desperation, but on occasion this path is one a paladin walks to with intent from the beginning. Pact templars, patron zealots, and knights of the seal are all titles they go by, but more discerning individuals may call them other names based upon their patron.
Upon selecting this pact, you must select a warlock patron to follow. If you later take on any levels of warlock, you must select the same patron. If you already possess levels in warlock before taking on this oath, you must choose the same patron as you previously selected.

OATH OF THE PACT: TITLES BY PACT
Given the diversity of the concept, it is only fitting that there be unique titles for paladins devoted to different patrons. As such, for each patron listed, here are a few possible titles such paladins may go by. Aside from those described below, one can also specify them as a 'Knight' of a particular entity (Knight of Cthulhu/Asmodeus/ect.)

The Archfey. Any title normally given to one with Oath of the Ancients would work.
The Fiend. Hellknight, Demon Aspirant, Knight of the Lower Planes.
The Great Old One. Raving Crusader, Knight Apostate, Cerebrotic Knight.
The Hexblade. Hexblade, Hexen Knight, Witch Knight.
The Raven Queen. Raven Templar, Death Verger, Queen's Blade.
The Seeker. Truth Guardian, Astral Knight, Crusader of Stars.
The Undying Light. Dawn Knight, Templar of the Light, Deathless Knight.

These are of course just ideas and by no means binding. Its your game, and your setting. I mean, you could decide the Raven Queen in your setting is called the Chicken Queen, and call your Paladins who have sworn an oath to her Colonels for all I care. Have fun with it.

Tenets of the Pact
The tenets of the Oath of the Pact are vague, and the specifics are bound the vary from patron to patron, but there are a handful that are universal.
-Serve Your Patron. You have sworn fealty to your patron, so let their will be done.
-Spread Their Message. While the method may vary, you must encourage others to too follow the will of your patron.
-Protect Their Servants. You are not only the sword of your patron, but so too are you their shield. Unless it is your patron's will otherwise, you must strive to protect those in their service.

Oath Spells
You gain oath spells at the paladin levels listed.

OATH OF THE PACT SPELLS

Paladin Level
Spells

3rd
1st-level Patron Spells

5th
2nd-level Patron Spells

9th
3rd-level Patron Spells

13th
4th-level Patron Spells

17th
5th-level Patron Spells

These spells are determined by the patron selected.

Channel Divinity
When you take this oath at 3rd level, you gain the following two Channel Divinity options.
-Initiate of the Pact. You can use your Channel Divinity to invoke the powers of your patron. At 3rd level you gain a Pact Boon of your choice (Chain, Blade, Tome, Star Chain, ect.), as well as a single invocation of your choice. At each level, you may replace this invocation with any other single invocation for which you qualify. For the purpose of selecting this invocation, treat your paladin level as your effective warlock level. At 18th level, you gain knowledge of a second invocation.
-Lesser Patron's Blessing: You use your Channel Divinity to utilize the least of your patron's blessings. You gain the ability normally granted by your patron to warlocks at 1st level. For the purpose of this and subsequent blessings you utilize your paladin spell DC instead of your warlock spell DC, provided a spell DC is referenced by the ability.

LESSER PATRON'S BLESSING

Patron
Ability Gained

The Archfey
Fey Presence

The Fiend
Dark One's Blessing

The Great Old One
Awakened Mind

The Hexblade
Hexblade's Curse

The Raven Queen
Sentinel Raven

The Seeker
Shielding Aurora

The Undying Light
Radiant Soul

Patron's Blessing
At 7th level, you gain the ability normally granted by your patron to warlocks at 6th level.

PATRON'S BLESSING

Patron
Ability Gained

The Archfey
Misty Escape

The Fiend
Dark One's Own Luck

The Great Old One
Entropic Ward

The Hexblade
Shadow Hound

The Raven Queen
Soul of the Raven

The Seeker
Astral Refuge

The Undying Light
Searing Vengeance

Greater Patron's Blessing
At 15th level, you gain the ability normally granted by your patron to warlocks at 14th level.

GREATER PATRON'S BLESSING

Patron
Ability Gained

The Archfey
Dark Delirium

The Fiend
Hurl Through Hell

The Great Old One
Create Thrall

The Hexblade
Master of Hexes

The Raven Queen
Queen's Right Hand

The Seeker
Astral Sequestration

The Undying Light
Healing Light

Otherworldly Paragon
At 20th level, you can invoke the power of your patron to assume the form of an otherworldly paragon. Using your action, you undergo a transformation. For 1 hour, you gain the following benefits:

Proficiency on all saving throws.
You gain the benefits of the blur spell without concentrating on the spell.
Whenever you cast a spell granted by your patron that has a casting time of 1 action, or by Pact of the Tome if you selected it, you cast it using a bonus action instead. If the spell requires longer, the time required to cast it is cut in half. If the spell requires a bonus action to cast, then it requires no actions at all to cast.

Once you use this feature, you cannot use it again until you finish a long rest.

Arkhios
2017-03-04, 03:32 PM
I'm sorry for being pedantic, but it's 'tenets' not 'tenants'. :smallsmile:

Xuldarinar
2017-03-04, 07:00 PM
I'm sorry for being pedantic, but it's 'tenets' not 'tenants'. :smallsmile:

Thank you. Dont know how I messed that one up.

Lonely Tylenol
2017-03-05, 09:46 PM
It's not terribly inspired, but it's a solid refluff/cross-class port. I know people who would love to play something like this, and it would make some class concepts (like the Hexblade-related ones) doable without multiclass dips.

Class spell lists:
This single oath gives a lot of diversity in spell options, because it gives the bonus spell list of at least 4 printed patrons (including the Undying from SCAG). I'm a little leery of this, because the patrons' spell list are meant to more closely approximate an expanded spell list for a Warlock (meaning the spells are much more dissimilar to the Paladin's), and they learn spells a different way: Warlock adds them to the spell list, but still have to select them as spells known, whereas the Paladin just automatically has their expanded spells prepared. I would recommend actually having this class be less "spellcast-y" due to the diverse options, and have it only gain one spell per spell level regardless of the patron chosen. It still widens the spell options considerably because of the number of patrons, but it gives less of them to each patron. (If you don't want this to be too hard a nerf, let the player choose which one they get.)

Flipside of that is, the spells will come later for a Paladin, so it's not too game-breaking. Maybe I'm just playing too scared on this one.

Channel Divinity
Lesser Patron's Blessing is pretty straightforward, and a good enough use of the Channel Divinity resource, I feel. Invocations are a neat permanent option, but only one of them up to 18th level is a bit low. They are also locked out of the pact invocations, so the field is limited considerably. All in all, it doesn't feel that good as part of the subclass feature, even if it's only part of the Channel Divinity feature itself. Have you considered giving the Pact Boon in addition to an invocation, or two cantrips in addition to an invocation? (Either/or; not both.) This would allow you to gain the pact benefit on the level with the Warlock's pacts, and take some targeted pact boons as well, although obviously you might need to spot ban some (if UA is allowed, the specific weapon pacts could lead to an invocation used to just drastically increase smite damage by using the pact weapon smite instead, or just using), or for the Oath of the Pact to be the "Cantrip Paladin", which is something they don't have yet. (Pact is an obviously higher option, as it gives two cantrips with the Tome Pact, but can also select other things, and opens up rituals through the Book of Ancient Secrets invocation all the same.)

Patron's Blessing and Greater Patron's Blessing look fine. Not terribly creative, but they are what they are.

???
The bind here is that the patrons don't offer capstones, and the Paladin has a very Paladin-y capstone that has carried across all six of its official (and unofficial) archetypes: All of them give you a minute-long buff (aside from Oath of the Crown, which is hour-long) which gives you a massive benefit to your fighting ability, usually three benefits total, a combination of offensive, defensive, and control buffs (not much in the way of utility). So for an Otherworldly Protection, you could include a combination of:
- You gain proficiency on all saving throws;
- You gain the benefit of the Blur spell without concentrating on the spell (disadvantage on attack rolls against you);
- A specific third buff, such as an attack rider or something of the sort depending on your patron, for the duration of the buff:
Archfey: On a hit, the target is outlined in blue, green, or violet light that confers advantage on attack rolls against the affected creature (as the Faerie Fire spell). This ability requires no concentration, but you may only confer the debuff to one enemy at a time;
Fiend: You gain immunity to fire damage, and deal bonus fire damage equal to your Charisma modifier (or 1/2 your Paladin level, depends on the balance) on a hit;
Great Old One: Dark tendrils surround you and follow you wherever you go, out to a radius of 10 feet. Whenever a creature first enters the area or starts its turn in the area, it must make a Strength saving throw. On a failed save, the creature takes 2d6 necrotic damage, and can't take reactions until its next turn (as the Arms of Hadar spell).

More or less spitballing, and you may decide to just have a generic third effect that applies to all patrons, but that's the type of thing I would do for this patron.

Perchance, could you return critique my Expanded Inspiration Uses (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?517317-WIP-PEACH-Expanded-Inspiration-Uses&p=21773062)? :smallsmile:

Xuldarinar
2017-03-06, 10:46 AM
It's not terribly inspired, but it's a solid refluff/cross-class port. I know people who would love to play something like this, and it would make some class concepts (like the Hexblade-related ones) doable without multiclass dips.

First of all, thank you for the feedback. Admittedly, my familiarity with 5e is limited. I knew of it in its beta state, have the books, but I am -far- more familiar with 3.x so this has been a little difficult in judging in terms of balancing.

While not terribly inspired, enough people consider multiclassing between paladin and warlock that it felt worth the shot.

Class spell lists:
This single oath gives a lot of diversity in spell options, because it gives the bonus spell list of at least 4 printed patrons (including the Undying from SCAG). I'm a little leery of this, because the patrons' spell list are meant to more closely approximate an expanded spell list for a Warlock (meaning the spells are much more dissimilar to the Paladin's), and they learn spells a different way: Warlock adds them to the spell list, but still have to select them as spells known, whereas the Paladin just automatically has their expanded spells prepared. I would recommend actually having this class be less "spellcast-y" due to the diverse options, and have it only gain one spell per spell level regardless of the patron chosen. It still widens the spell options considerably because of the number of patrons, but it gives less of them to each patron. (If you don't want this to be too hard a nerf, let the player choose which one they get.)

Flipside of that is, the spells will come later for a Paladin, so it's not too game-breaking. Maybe I'm just playing too scared on this one.

You make a fair point on this one. While warlock patrons and paladin oaths provide the same number of bonus spells, the patrons offer certainly different ones and allowing a single oath to functionally give such a breadth of options might be in need of tuning down. In such a case, I should list all existing oaths in the subtable and list a single spell from each to be granted. Conversely, I could make it so someone would have to pick between the two provided.. but while that turns down one thing it does add in potential diversity.

As a side note, I wonder how worth it would be to include The Seeker patron, which was added in Unearthed Arcana: The Faithful.

Channel Divinity
Lesser Patron's Blessing is pretty straightforward, and a good enough use of the Channel Divinity resource, I feel. Invocations are a neat permanent option, but only one of them up to 18th level is a bit low. They are also locked out of the pact invocations, so the field is limited considerably. All in all, it doesn't feel that good as part of the subclass feature, even if it's only part of the Channel Divinity feature itself. Have you considered giving the Pact Boon in addition to an invocation, or two cantrips in addition to an invocation? (Either/or; not both.) This would allow you to gain the pact benefit on the level with the Warlock's pacts, and take some targeted pact boons as well, although obviously you might need to spot ban some (if UA is allowed, the specific weapon pacts could lead to an invocation used to just drastically increase smite damage by using the pact weapon smite instead, or just using), or for the Oath of the Pact to be the "Cantrip Paladin", which is something they don't have yet. (Pact is an obviously higher option, as it gives two cantrips with the Tome Pact, but can also select other things, and opens up rituals through the Book of Ancient Secrets invocation all the same.)

In an earlier iteration of this, I had given them instead basically the core ability of the Boon offered from Pact of the Blade, along with the invocations granted. That being said, I could certainly restore that option and even allow for the choice of pact boon. The cantrip option is an interesting one as well, but unless it would be considered far more balance I actually think i'd go down the path of offering a pact boon.

Patron's Blessing and Greater Patron's Blessing look fine. Not terribly creative, but they are what they are.

I hated writing them. The room for text to build upon is lacking, but they get to the point.

???
The bind here is that the patrons don't offer capstones, and the Paladin has a very Paladin-y capstone that has carried across all six of its official (and unofficial) archetypes: All of them give you a minute-long buff (aside from Oath of the Crown, which is hour-long) which gives you a massive benefit to your fighting ability, usually three benefits total, a combination of offensive, defensive, and control buffs (not much in the way of utility). So for an Otherworldly Protection, you could include a combination of:
- You gain proficiency on all saving throws;
- You gain the benefit of the Blur spell without concentrating on the spell (disadvantage on attack rolls against you);
- A specific third buff, such as an attack rider or something of the sort depending on your patron, for the duration of the buff:
Archfey: On a hit, the target is outlined in blue, green, or violet light that confers advantage on attack rolls against the affected creature (as the Faerie Fire spell). This ability requires no concentration, but you may only confer the debuff to one enemy at a time;
Fiend: You gain immunity to fire damage, and deal bonus fire damage equal to your Charisma modifier (or 1/2 your Paladin level, depends on the balance) on a hit;
Great Old One: Dark tendrils surround you and follow you wherever you go, out to a radius of 10 feet. Whenever a creature first enters the area or starts its turn in the area, it must make a Strength saving throw. On a failed save, the creature takes 2d6 necrotic damage, and can't take reactions until its next turn (as the Arms of Hadar spell).

More or less spitballing, and you may decide to just have a generic third effect that applies to all patrons, but that's the type of thing I would do for this patron.

Later today I'm going to have to implement this one. I'll need to create some options for additional patrons, which in of itself would be a little work, but that will certainly allow me more room for creativity on this one.

Perchance, could you return critique my Expanded Inspiration Uses (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?517317-WIP-PEACH-Expanded-Inspiration-Uses&p=21773062)? :smallsmile:

I'd be happy to. I'll be checking in on that later today and you'll get a critique on it. Take it with a grain of salt as 5e is still fairly new for me, but I'll do what I can for that.

Xuldarinar
2017-03-07, 03:36 PM
I hate double posting but Im glad to say i consider this project near completion. I just need feedback to help in fine-tuning, help me throw out things that don't belong and maybe add some things that are needed.

On another note, or perhaps not, I had an idea. To allow for greater versatility, I had a thought that is worth considering as an alternate capstone. I'd love feedback on this one, in addition to everything of the Oath proper.

Paragon of Invocation
At 20th level, select three invocations that you qualify for. you can invoke the power of your patron to . Using your action, you undergo a transformation, taking on a form reminiscent of your patron. For 1 hour you gain the ability to utilize the three invocations you selected for this ability. These invocations are otherwise unknown to you. Once you use this feature, you cannot use it again until you finish a long rest.

In some regards it is a bit lazy, but it allows for more options and flavor being bent further towards one's specific patron. If people like this one better, I can throw out Otherworldly Paragon and put this in its place.

TheTeaMustFlow
2017-03-08, 10:23 AM
For the purpose of selecting this invocation, treat your paladin level as your effective paladin level.I'm fairly sure you mean 'as your effective warlock level' here.

Xuldarinar
2017-03-08, 11:01 AM
I'm fairly sure you mean 'as your effective warlock level here'.

Good eye. While the intent was clear, I hate it when such typos slip through