PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Roguish Archetype: Scoundrel [WIP]

Dralnu
2017-03-03, 01:15 PM
Here is my second attempt at a combat-oriented "dirty fighter" rogue, the Scoundrel. The main draw of the subclass is that you can offer up crowd control in battle by foregoing some of your sneak attack dice. Apologies for the poor wording of some of these. For the rest of the class I was thinking general "scoundrel" things like Han Solo.

Roguish Archetype: Scoundrel
You focus your training towards one singular goal: getting the job done. While some may cry that your tactics are underhanded and dishonorable, in the end everyone can agree that your methods are effective. Thugs, smugglers, outlaws, and rebels typically follow this archetype, but so do rogues that care only about results without bothering with arbitrary principles restricting them on how it gets done. You hone skills that excel in (but are not limited to) criminal activities, either talking your way through situations or fighting your way through them instead.

Dirty Tricks
When you choose this archetype at 3rd level, you gain a set of abilities that are fueled by your sneak attack dice. Whenever you would deal sneak attack damage to a creature, you may choose to forego a number of sneak attack dice to enhance the attack with one of the tricks listed below:
Blinding Strike. Target must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or be blinded until the end of your next turn. Costs 2 sneak attack dice.
Disarming Attack. Target must succeed on a Strength saving throw or drop one item of your choice that it's holding. The object lands at its feet. Costs 1 sneak attack die.
Disorienting Attack. If the target must make Constitution saving throw to maintain concentration, the save DC increases by 5. Costs 1 sneak attack die.
Throat Punch. Target must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or be silenced until the end of your next turn. Costs 1 sneak attack die.
Trip Attack. If the target is Large or smaller, it must succeed on a Strength saving throw or be knocked prone. Costs 1 sneak attack die.

Figuring out sneak attack dice costs:
These costs are just placeholders. My comparison tool was the Battlemaster's maneuvers. Let's compare 3rd level Trip Attack maneuver to the Trip Attack trick. Functionally, they do the exact same thing. The Battlemaster adds 1d8 damage to the attack, while the Scoundrel removes 1d6 damage. The Battlemaster's maneuver isn't conditional, while the Scoundrel's is only when they can sneak attack. The Battlemaster can use this maneuver 4 times per short rest (8 times in a typical adventuring day) while the Scoundrel can do this unlimited times. All things considered, I believe the 1 sneak attack dice is roughly comparable to most of what a Battlemaster can do, but I can be wrong and I'm open to other opinions.

The stuff outside of what Battlemaster can do is harder to reliably compare. How much would a silence be? A stun? I guessed.

Street Savvy
Starting at 3rd level, you add your proficiency bonus to Charisma checks related to finding information about news, rumors, and gossip, along with blending into crowds to eavesdrop on conversations. Additionally, you can convey messages through thieves' cant as quickly as normal messages.

Smooth Talker
At 9th level, you have a knack for saying the right things at the right time. Whenever you make a Intimidation or Persuasion check, you can choose to roll an additional d20 and choose which of the d20s will be used for the check. You can choose to use this ability after you roll the die, but before the outcome is determined. Once you use this ability, you cannot use it against until you finish a short or long rest.

Uncanny Feint
Beginning at 13th level, you can manipulate an opponent to attack you, leaving them vulnerable to your counterattack. If you and an adjacent hostile creature can see each other, you can take a bonus action to make a Charisma (Deception) check contested by an adjacent creature's Wisdom (Insight) check. If you succeed on the check, the creature must immediately make one melee attack against you as a reaction. You have a +5 AC bonus against this attack. If the attack misses, you can use Sneak Attack against that creature until the end of your next turn even if you don't meet the requirements for Sneak Attack.

Cheap Shot
At 17th level, you can exploit a creature's momentary distraction when it is hit by an attack. Whenever a creature within 5 feet of you is hit by an attack made by a creature other than you, you can use your reaction to make an attack against that creature.

Stan
2017-03-04, 05:04 PM
I generally like it. I think I like the idea of foregoing sneak damage instead of having a resource to track, like the battle master does, it hard to tell what a fair cost is. Given that rogues get sneak attack most of the time, they could be doing a dirty trick almost every round.

Disorienting attack feels weak as your'e giving up 3.5 damage, which would increase the roll by 2 if you didn't use the ability. Some of the Dirty Tricks don't have the DC for the save listed.

Another option would be stunning strike for 3 dice.

Dralnu
2017-03-06, 02:39 PM
I think dirty trick usage depends how much HP you expect your foe to have. I'd imagine you'd want to use dirty tricks on any durable type of enemy, like ogres, and also any bosses. Use it on the goblin chieftain but probably not the disposable goblin minions he throws at you as fodder.

I think disorientating strike is still okay. Trading some damage for about +3 DC is still decent.

I used to have stunning strike for 3 sneak attack dice but I didn't want to step on the toes of Monks so I ended up cutting it.